Samsung Galaxy or iPhone?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Samsung Galaxy or iPhone?
Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
  • Looking for opinions. I'm leaning towards the Galaxy SIII (cheaper than S4, and similar enough). This is coming from a guy who as been using an LG Chocolate for the past 3 years, so it's my first smart phone. From what I hear, the Android phones are much more customizable, which is a plus for me. Thanks!
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Re: Samsung Galaxy or iPhone?
Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:21 pm
  • Oh man, I've been going over almost the same thing for more than a week. But mine is S4 or HTC One. I've had the iPhone 4 for awhile now. 3G before that. Time for a change. Been reading reviews and watching YouTube videos about both.
    Claden
    NET Rookie

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:04 pm
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 is the best phone i've ever had
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:08 pm
  • S4 or wait for the Note III. HTC One looks nice too. I've heard good things about the new Xperia. Don't get an iPhone.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:12 pm
  • You're going to have a phone for 2 years, maybe more, and use it every day. Is it really worth the ~$150 difference between a year-old model and a brand-new one to avoid the new one? I mean, your family cell phone bill probably costs more than that difference. Just sayin'.

Regardless, go with an Android device. Galaxy S 4, or if you're into the big phones, get a Galaxy Note III when it comes out soon. The HTC One is also a very top-end phone, HTC really upped their game to compete with Samsung. Either way, last year and this year, Apple has merely been trying to play catch-up with Android. Don't bother getting an iPhone.

Android is truly more customizable now more than ever before. I love that aspect of it.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:26 pm
  • The thing is, I try to avoid contracts. And monthly phone payments. So therefore I'd be paying $600 for the new S4, or about $300 for an SIII on Ebay. When it comes down to it, it's just a phone. But $600 for a phone is kind of ridiculous. I'm thinking SIII now, and maybe the S5 or S6 in a couple of years (or whatever a good phone will be at the time).

Thanks for the advice, guys, Android it is!
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:27 pm
  • Get an iPhone....if for no other reason than to drive everyone here crazy for zero reason at all.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:29 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Get an iPhone....if for no other reason than to drive everyone here crazy for zero reason at all.

Hahaha nice! And then I could flood the forums with threads about all the different iPhone apps.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:30 pm
  • Jazz, go step in front of a rapidly moving bus.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:57 pm
  • I'm with Jazz, just to piss, also it would make Roland die a little inside.

Honestly, just go with what you like and are comfortable with, from years of iPod use, my transition over the iPhone was pretty easy. But I've also had androids before, liked those too.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:36 am
  • I got an LG Optimus G and think it's been tits. When I got the thing, it was the only quad core available and still cheaper than Samsung stuff. Wife recently got the Optimus G Pro. Solid phone with little market share... Probably be harder to find that lavender bedazzled case, though.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:40 am
  • If you don't want a contract and don't mind paying up front for your phone (I'm guessing not) and if you want to be on TMo or AT&T get an unlocked phone off of the Google play Store.

I have the Nexus 4 and I love it. You could also get a Galaxy phone unlocked with stock Android on it.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:52 am
  • After my contract is up, I will be buying my next phone. In an effort to lower my monthly bill I called AT&T about suspending internet from 1 of our 2 phones on the plan, and they said no way.

So, not only will I be buying the phone, I will never use T-Mobile or AT&T again. It might cost more (initially) but in the long run, it will save $.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:31 am
  • I had the Samsung Galaxy Note II. And I loved everything about it. It was an amazing phone...super fast...good picture...just really big! Then I got the iPhone 5. And for me....there is no comparison. I freaking LOVE my iPhone!!! I have heard though that if you either love the iPhone or hate it. Same with androids. And most cell carriers have a return policy that basically lets you try the phone out for 1-2 weeks.
    PrincessHawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 am
  • Largent80 wrote:After my contract is up, I will be buying my next phone. In an effort to lower my monthly bill I called AT&T about suspending internet from 1 of our 2 phones on the plan, and they said no way.

So, not only will I be buying the phone, I will never use T-Mobile or AT&T again. It might cost more (initially) but in the long run, it will save $.

If you don't mind, what was the issue with T-Mobile? That's who I'm thinking of switching to. No contract, and prices seem to be the best. I know that coverage isn't at good as the Verizon network or anything, but...
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 am
  • I'm going iPhone with my next one. I have the Galaxy SII right now. It's not that I hate what I have, I just want to try out the iPhone. Also, I have an iPad and can share some apps I have. I'm going to wait for the iPhone 6, though.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:41 pm
  • nategreat wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:After my contract is up, I will be buying my next phone. In an effort to lower my monthly bill I called AT&T about suspending internet from 1 of our 2 phones on the plan, and they said no way.

If you don't mind, what was the issue with T-Mobile? That's who I'm thinking of switching to. No contract, and prices seem to be the best. I know that coverage isn't at good as the Verizon network or anything, but...

Their data service runs on odd standards so with most phones you can only get EDGE network access. Their 4g service is WiMax, which also sucks ass.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:57 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Their data service runs on odd standards so with most phones you can only get EDGE network access. Their 4g service is WiMax, which also sucks ass.

Hmm? T-Mobile is HSPA+ and they are rolling out LTE right now. Are you thinking of Sprint?
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:19 pm
  • T-Mobile phones also come with the wifi calling feature incase you're somewhere that has a spotty service, screw them though lol.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:33 pm
  • I've heard that their Wi-Fi calling works like garbage.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:36 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I've heard that their Wi-Fi calling works like garbage.

it might, it varied by phone for me. For the Motorola Charm it was trash, but on the HTC/Samsung Wildfire it was flawless.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:26 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Jazz, go step in front of a rapidly moving bus.

I can't. I don't own an Android. :thirishdrinkers:
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:27 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Jazz, go step in front of a rapidly moving bus.

Google Maps would have kept you safe, it's Apple Maps that would have walked you in front of a moving bus while going over a cliff in the middle of an urban area.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:

Google Maps would have kept you safe, it's Apple Maps that would have walked you in front of a moving bus while going over a cliff in the middle of an urban area.

What funny is..... I use Apple Maps all the time and have yet to encounter all these issues you Androidians seem to conjure up. Frankly, the directions are MUCH easier to read than the tiny script the Google maps app uses. Especially when driving a moving vehicle. And as a disclaimer, I use Google Maps regularly on the computer, so it's not like I'm trying to diss anything Google.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:40 pm
  • Oh I don't doubt there were issues originally. But my practical experience is that its now much ado about nothing, and Androidians constantly pointing it out this far from when it was a problem is just baiting. What can I say, as much as I'm sure you'd love for me to, I haven't gotten lost or mis-directed yet.
    :229031_shrug:

Anyway, back to the original topic. I still vote iPhone. I'll say however, I hope they widen the screen slightly on upcoming models. Not so big it won't still fit comfortably in my pocket, but just a little bit.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:46 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Androidians constantly pointing it out this far from when it was a problem is just baiting.

That's rich, considering you're the one that "went there" with the map accuracy bit. I just escalated it. Blaming Android people for bringing it up is quite disingenuous in this case, since the iPhone guy is the one that went there in the first place.

Just sayin'.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:53 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Androidians constantly pointing it out this far from when it was a problem is just baiting.

That's rich, considering you're the one that "went there" with the map accuracy bit. I just escalated it. Blaming Android people for bringing it up is quite disingenuous in this case, since the iPhone guy is the one that went there in the first place.

Just sayin'.

Wrong again MaryLou.....here is the first post that mentions anything regarding Maps and notice whose name wrote it...... Just sayin'.

RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:

Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 pm
  • The wi-fi calling isn't perfect but it works well enough for me. I use it by default whenever I'm on wi-fi just because I don't want to have to change my settings all the time and it works just fine the majority of the time. T-Mobile's wireless service has improved dramatically for me over the last year or so. Their customer service is the worst of all time though. If you ever have to call in to resolve an issue expect it to take at least 3 separate phone calls to get it right, or at least as close to resembling right as you're willing to accept. If you live in the I-5 corridor in anything resembling a decent size town service should be just fine. I've gotten LTE service in Portland, Seattle & Everett over the past few months and the speeds have been fantastic. And the way they're doing phone upgrades now is kind of revolutionary; you can upgrade every 6 months now if you want to. Pretty badass.

Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:59 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Wrong again MaryLou.....here is the first post that mentions anything regarding Maps and notice whose name wrote it...... Just sayin'.

Are you just trolling? If you weren't making some sort of maps reference with your response below, then what was it at reference to?

Jazzhawk wrote:

RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:14 pm
  • lol @ Jazz
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Wrong again MaryLou.....here is the first post that mentions anything regarding Maps and notice whose name wrote it...... Just sayin'.

Are you just trolling? If you weren't making some sort of maps reference with your response below, then what was it at reference to?

Jazzhawk wrote:

Now you see what happens when you ASS U ME.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:32 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Now you see what happens when you ASS U ME.

Because nobody ever implies anything without outright saying it. True bill.

Whatevs; I still love you, even if you do have an iPhone!
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53 pm
  • I used wi-fi calling through T-Mobile with a blackberry curve about 5 years ago and it was always perfect. Zero issues at all. I think that it depends on the wi-fi signal and where you're connecting. I'd connect at home and work, and I never used any of my minutes really, because all of my calling was on wi-fi or to my wife's phone which was free between us. So I could go literally six months without using a phone minute.

I've been on AT&T for 2 years and it was AWFUL in California (just in case that's where you are), and then with Verizon for the last two years, and it was quite a bit better throughout the western US and significantly better in California. I've had all kinds of phones. If you like the way iPad and iPod are setup, then you won't dislike the iPhone. Those who smack it are those who like open source, and that's terrific. Some people like a phone to just be a good phone. For me, the blackberry blew everything else away in my experiences for many years. It just worked. I got my email, and I was able to make phone calls. Then the iPhone was eventually upgraded to the point where it pushed email and it made phone calls and I was able to send and receive all of my email. So for me... I had no reason to hack around and 'customize' my phone, and so I used an iPhone and am still using an iPhone 4 as we speak.

I will buy whatever makes the most sense for my next phone financially. I could care less about 'customizing' the thing. I want to make calls. I want to receive calls. I want to send email. I want to receive email. Maybe I'll get the new Motorola Droid. It looks like a nice phone and supposedly does all of those things.

As far as prepaid services go... we've had Virgin Mobile for our son, and it was a good service. For the last year (since he lost that phone) we've had Cricket wireless, and it does the job. Just check coverage maps first. His phone is like $25 a month for unlimited text, data, and 400 minutes of talking. We've never come close on the minutes, and it helps us keep track of him between school, home, and friend's houses. The prepaid services are just as reliable and user friendly as Verizon, AT&T, Tmo, and Sprint, and many times share the same network you've already used and had success on. I believe Straight Talk is on Verizon's network, and I believe Virgin is on Sprint's. You might want to double check and do a comparo though. Tmobile is actually GREAT in the town I used to live in, because they were originally Voicestream's test market and always put in the #1 A-Plus newest of new technology, and when Tmo took over, they kept that going, so it was awesome. Where I live now though, Tmo sucks, because it is just on the periphery of that amazing little hub they built for testing purposes.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 pm
  • Jailbroken I-Phone 4s here...love it. No problems whatsoever. I'm no real tech geek though so maybe some of the other phones offer more, but I'll roll with what I know. Grandfathered into AT&T'S old data plan helps. The 3rd party app MIWI is killer too. Have internet access for my other devices wherever I go, no extra charges.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:59 pm
  • serious question, not wanting to get into this little feud, but what are the pro's/con's of jailbreaking my I phone 5?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:07 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:serious question, not wanting to get into this little feud, but what are the pro's/con's of jailbreaking my I phone 5?

All the different apps that are out there that the App Store doesn't have. That MIWI app I have is a 3rd party app. Creates a wifi hotspot through the 4s connection. Works great!! Lots of other apps out there also, but I tend to keep my gadgets as clutter free as possible.
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:22 pm
  • samwize77 wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:serious question, not wanting to get into this little feud, but what are the pro's/con's of jailbreaking my I phone 5?

All the different apps that are out there that the App Store doesn't have. That MIWI app I have is a 3rd party app. Creates a wifi hotspot through the 4s connection. Works great!! Lots of other apps out there also, but I tend to keep my gadgets as clutter free as possible.

Thanks ! WIFI hotspot is the one thing I really miss since I went to the 5 from an android.

Sorry more stupid questions, does that keep me from getting OS updates? Can I still have the nerds at the apple store still work on my phone if its jailbroken?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:11 pm
  • I'd wait there's word that iOS 7 comes out on the 10th, from when I tried (and didn't go through with it) there's different Jailbreaks for different versions of the iOS.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:28 pm
  • Most definitely different breaks for different ios. You have to be careful. I think what the deal is if you jailbreak your phone you are in effect voiding the warranty. I haven't heard if Apple gives a customer a tough time over this or not. Knowing Apple I would have to think so, but don't bank on it. You might be fine.
    As far as the updates, I don't update mine because I hear that you can lose some 3rd party apps and have to go through the hassle of getting them again. Which means probably calling the developer and telling them you already paid for the app and just need to download it again. And remember, like Throwdown said, with an update/ios change you might find the app's won't work unless the developer has already prep'd them. Lots to check on beforehand. I would wait for the newest version before pulling the trigger just to be on the safe side, though you might have to wait a bit for the better apps to get upgraded also.
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:10 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:
    samwize77 wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:serious question, not wanting to get into this little feud, but what are the pro's/con's of jailbreaking my I phone 5?

Thanks ! WIFI hotspot is the one thing I really miss since I went to the 5 from an android.

Sorry more stupid questions, does that keep me from getting OS updates? Can I still have the nerds at the apple store still work on my phone if its jailbroken?

Yes, Jailbraking your phone prevents you from updating to the newest iOS because it would basically wipe your phone (and its jailbreak) to bring it to the latest iOS.

You have to wait for the Jailbreak community to come with a way to have an updated version of the iOS with a jailbrake.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:19 pm
  • FWIW, in preparation for the Nexus 5 release, Google has dropped the Nexus 4 (8gb) by a hundred bucks to $199 w/out contract.

I've had one since they released, and while I liked the S3 a little more and I'm sure the S4 is even better, at this point, as far as hardware goes, I basically don't think any of these high end smartphones are worth that much more than any other one (unless you want a Note II for the screen size, or an iphone b/c you're just an Apple person).

The other nice thing about just getting unlocked 4 or 5 is that you're off contract, and are ultimately just going to be paying less over time (I was paying 40 bucks a month for unlimited everything month-to-month on Tmobile until a moved to Canada a month ago).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information