Baseball headed for extinction

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
sc85sis":17cvidu4 said:
I find baseball way more interesting at the park than on TV usually.

I never developed a taste for baseball until I got older and started going to watch the Spokane Indians play single A ball. Baseball is one of the few sports that can be appreciated on every level by fans, from the lowest level through to MLB. Beer, peanuts, sound of the bat hitting the ball, beautiful weather--it's great! Especially in Eastern WA, with the crap winters we have. Baseball says "summer" and I look forward to it all offseason.

CALIHAWK1":17cvidu4 said:
I think it depends on where you live that may give you that idea. My cousin lives in Spokane and swears the same. Go to Cincinnati, St. Louis and say the same. L.A. is the second largest media market in the US with no NFL and the Dodgers and Anaheim both have good baseball attendance and huge TV contracts.

I think your cousin needs to attend more Indians games! ;)

OP
OP
bubbrubb

bubbrubb

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":vw7f4dpu said:
bubbrubb":vw7f4dpu said:
and also the fact that baseball tix are extremely cheap relative to other sports. Once the nostalgic older generation dies off, baseball will be below MLS and others. That being said, went to my first MLS game with my cousin who is in Timbers Army....what an experience! I was a soccer hater for so long....now thats a sport on the rise.

Try watching it on TV.

I have. I appreciate it on TV alot more after going in person.

Subzero717

Reaction score
bubbrubb":2pvfrda9 said:
CALIHAWK1":2pvfrda9 said:
bubbrubb":2pvfrda9 said:
and also the fact that baseball tix are extremely cheap relative to other sports. Once the nostalgic older generation dies off, baseball will be below MLS and others. That being said, went to my first MLS game with my cousin who is in Timbers Army....what an experience! I was a soccer hater for so long....now thats a sport on the rise.

Try watching it on TV.

Okay. Please explain why.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":4335d0xh said:
sc85sis":4335d0xh said:
I find baseball way more interesting at the park than on TV usually.

I never developed a taste for baseball until I got older and started going to watch the Spokane Indians play single A ball. Baseball is one of the few sports that can be appreciated on every level by fans, from the lowest level through to MLB. Beer, peanuts, sound of the bat hitting the ball, beautiful weather--it's great! Especially in Eastern WA, with the crap winters we have. Baseball says "summer" and I look forward to it all offseason.

CALIHAWK1":4335d0xh said:
I think it depends on where you live that may give you that idea. My cousin lives in Spokane and swears the same. Go to Cincinnati, St. Louis and say the same. L.A. is the second largest media market in the US with no NFL and the Dodgers and Anaheim both have good baseball attendance and huge TV contracts.

I think your cousin needs to attend more Indians games! ;)

Teenagers.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I wonder how much longer the NFL can attract the top athletes with concussions, injuries, non-guaranteed contracts, and a really short average career. Baseball seems like a smarter decision.

Subzero717

Reaction score
pinksheets":3ppjk3w7 said:
I wonder how much longer the NFL can attract the top athletes with concussions, injuries, non-guaranteed contracts, and a really short average career. Baseball seems like a smarter decision.

That's what I don't get and can't explain.

OP
OP
bubbrubb

bubbrubb

Reaction score
bubbrubb":1upq2jus said:
CALIHAWK1":1upq2jus said:
bubbrubb":1upq2jus said:

Because I enjoyed the atmosphere at the game and it made me feel more inclined to follow the league, even if its on TV.

Yes I agree with football being at a crossroads too. But baseball just isn't cool anymore. There are no athletes I look up to in baseball...BRaun is like 205lbs, McCutcheon same deal.....I just dont take baseball seriously. They act like they're elite athletes but they ain't.....ok ill show Harper some love, but other than that nada....

california kickball > baseball

SonicHawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1so8kntb said:
pinksheets":1so8kntb said:

Because football is easier. Granted, the NFL is a bunch of ridiculous athletic freaks who are incredibly talented at the sport they play... but in High School? Athleticism goes a lot longer than most sports. In basketball you have to put the ball in the hole, in baseball you have to swing and hit a ball thrown from 60 feet travelling at 80-90MPH. In football? Run away from people or hit someone.

Football's also the biggest sport in high school. In high school we'd play in front of a 1,000 people, a baseball game would get like 150? Even in college the baseball team hardly brought 250 people.

Subzero717

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2ysxgycn said:
CALIHAWK1":2ysxgycn said:
pinksheets":2ysxgycn said:

Because football is easier. Granted, the NFL is a bunch of ridiculous athletic freaks who are incredibly talented at the sport they play... but in High School? Athleticism goes a lot longer than most sports. In basketball you have to put the ball in the hole, in baseball you have to swing and hit a ball thrown from 60 feet travelling at 80-90MPH. In football? Run away from people or hit someone.

Football's also the biggest sport in high school. In high school we'd play in front of a 1,000 people, a baseball game would get like 150? Even in college the baseball team hardly brought 250 people.

No I understand all that. I use a similar argument against the soccer crowd. They say soccee is fastest growing. I say until those boys get to high school and want to get......

What I was getting at here with baseball is why is it not popular here in the inner cities anymore or anywhere in America for that matter? Look at the monster deals and career longevity of baseball players compared to football. Why isn't MLB shouting that from the top of every mountain?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1io31iqr said:
Lords of Scythia":1io31iqr said:
SonicHawk":1io31iqr said:
It absolutely is not.

List of attendance figures at domestic professional sports leagues:
National Football League 254 67,358[6][7][8] 17,124,389
Bundesliga Association 306 45,179[11] 13,805,496
Premier League 380 34,601 13,148,465[13]
Major League Baseball 2,421 30,884[2] 74,859,268
La Liga 380 30,275 11,504,567
Nippon Professional Baseball846 25,626[3] 21,679,596

Those are the top 6 in average attendance per game/match/whatever.

1 Football, 3 Soccer, 2 Baseball.

Baseball has great players, gets on TV, is talked about on sports radio and has an international following.

You and your friend are both very very very ill-informed.

There's also a hell of a lot more games in baseball, so the sum total is higher than the individual game #s

I'm sorry you can't read but this is based off AVERAGE attendance.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but the numbers you posted are pretty much nonsensical in this format. What the heck does each column of numbers mean? Why are there random numbers posted in brackets?

Subzero717

Reaction score
bubbrubb":2jtpunn4 said:
bubbrubb":2jtpunn4 said:
CALIHAWK1":2jtpunn4 said:
bubbrubb said:

Because I enjoyed the atmosphere at the game and it made me feel more inclined to follow the league, even if its on TV.

Yes I agree with football being at a crossroads too. But baseball just isn't cool anymore. There are no athletes I look up to in baseball...BRaun is like 205lbs, McCutcheon same deal.....I just dont take baseball seriously. They act like they're elite athletes but they ain't.....ok ill show Harper some love, but other than that nada....

Puig, Hanley, Harper, Miggy.

Subzero717

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":s96qhv7v said:
bubbrubb":s96qhv7v said:
bubbrubb":s96qhv7v said:
CALIHAWK1 said:
bubbrubb said:

Puig, Hanley, Harper, Miggy. Its funny baseball is constamtly being called out for not having "athletes" yet many "athletes" we worship in other sports cant make it in baseball. Tate and Wilson come to mind first.

kearly

Reaction score
Baseball is a thinking man's game, like football. In the internet age where fantasy sports is all the rage, I think there will always be a market for baseball, which is still America's #2 sport. What might surprise you is that baseball is more popular than college football (sort of - the NFL cannibalizes college football's popularity numbers, I'm sure) and has a much larger lead on the NBA and NHL than you might have guessed.

I don't find baseball boring, but then again, I always watch on DVR and fast forward between pitches. So maybe it is boring. But on DVR, I enjoy watching a good baseball team quite a lot. Watching a team with a terrible offense is torture though.

I love the explosive nature of baseball. Games can turn very quickly. Statistically, a 3 run lead (at the start of an inning) in baseball is the rough equivalent of a 17 point lead in the NFL, in terms of win probability. But there is no play you can make in the NFL that instantly overcomes a 17 deficit for an instant lead change. But in baseball, a timely home run can change a game suddenly and unexpectedly.

I also enjoy the relative low stress of the 162 game season compared to the do-or-die pressures of the 16 game NFL regular season.