Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskanViking

Reaction score
lukerguy":1kk1icu5 said:
AlaskanViking":1kk1icu5 said:
Vikings fan here. Not looking to "talk smack", only to give my 2 cents on a WR who I have followed very closely for his entire NFL career.

First off, Percy is a heck of a weapon on offense. Whenever he plays you guys are going to be happy with him. His elusiveness with the ball in his hands is just silly. He is also tough as nails on gamedays, not shying away from contact at all, almost to the point of being reckless (when he was a Viking I used to worry about how long of a career he would have). His ability to run out of the backfield, both inside and outside the tackles, gives him that "gadget factor" where defenses always have to account for him no matter where he is on the field. He is amazing at getting YAC. I read someone on here say that he wasn't a fit on a Ponder-led offense, and that isn't true at all. With QBs like that who are best with short quick passes, Harvin is the perfect WR. It makes more sense to go for high-completion short passes and let Percy rack up YAC. He rarely saw deep passes downfield.

That being said, you are now getting your first taste of Percy World. He hates to practice. A lot. He also is nicked up a lot with nagging injuries. For as long as he's in the NFL, there will always be drama surrounding Percy Harvin. It's sad, because his attitude didn't really turn so poor until Randy Moss came back for that brief stint with the Vikings. Percy reportedly followed Moss around like a lost puppy and was enamored with him. Moss behaved horribly in his short return to Minnesota (ex: the lunchroom incident where Moss blew up and screamed that he wouldn't feed the team caterer's food to his dog). After Moss was let go, Harvin and then-coach Brad Childress got into a heated altercation, and Percy hurled a weight at Childress (although it didn't hit him).

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if Percy ends up being fine medically and this was a way to get out of some practices. You can decide for yourselves how much that does or doesn't bother you. There was a time when those antics made Vikings fans say "Meh, as long as he plays on Sundays..." But over time, the constant off-field drama and prima-donna behavior wore on people and chased him out of Minnesota. It's not often you see teams trade away talented WRs in their prime. Especially since at the time we had a completely bare WR cupboard without Harvin. I don't want to see Percy fail in Seattle, the trade is done now and both teams got what they wanted. Hopefully it works out for both teams.

For the guy who posted below asking "how this can be drama when he has an injury"..Well you just don't understand because you haven't been following Harvin his whole career. What AlaskanViking is saying is, "He may need surgery, but there's a good chance this is just Percy not wanting to practice".

Yes that is my hunch, although it may turn out this in a legitimate serious freak injury. That's the thing: With Percy you never know if he is really seriously hurt or not, because he hates practices. That's what I meant by constant drama. It's the "boy who cried wolf" effect when it comes to him and injury reports.

AlaskanViking

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3m4wi559 said:
lukerguy":3m4wi559 said:
AlaskanViking":3m4wi559 said:
Vikings fan here. Not looking to "talk smack", only to give my 2 cents on a WR who I have followed very closely for his entire NFL career.

First off, Percy is a heck of a weapon on offense. Whenever he plays you guys are going to be happy with him. His elusiveness with the ball in his hands is just silly. He is also tough as nails on gamedays, not shying away from contact at all, almost to the point of being reckless (when he was a Viking I used to worry about how long of a career he would have). His ability to run out of the backfield, both inside and outside the tackles, gives him that "gadget factor" where defenses always have to account for him no matter where he is on the field. He is amazing at getting YAC. I read someone on here say that he wasn't a fit on a Ponder-led offense, and that isn't true at all. With QBs like that who are best with short quick passes, Harvin is the perfect WR. It makes more sense to go for high-completion short passes and let Percy rack up YAC. He rarely saw deep passes downfield.

That being said, you are now getting your first taste of Percy World. He hates to practice. A lot. He also is nicked up a lot with nagging injuries. For as long as he's in the NFL, there will always be drama surrounding Percy Harvin. It's sad, because his attitude didn't really turn so poor until Randy Moss came back for that brief stint with the Vikings. Percy reportedly followed Moss around like a lost puppy and was enamored with him. Moss behaved horribly in his short return to Minnesota (ex: the lunchroom incident where Moss blew up and screamed that he wouldn't feed the team caterer's food to his dog). After Moss was let go, Harvin and then-coach Brad Childress got into a heated altercation, and Percy hurled a weight at Childress (although it didn't hit him).

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if Percy ends up being fine medically and this was a way to get out of some practices. You can decide for yourselves how much that does or doesn't bother you. There was a time when those antics made Vikings fans say "Meh, as long as he plays on Sundays..." But over time, the constant off-field drama and prima-donna behavior wore on people and chased him out of Minnesota. It's not often you see teams trade away talented WRs in their prime. Especially since at the time we had a completely bare WR cupboard without Harvin. I don't want to see Percy fail in Seattle, the trade is done now and both teams got what they wanted. Hopefully it works out for both teams.

Good post. Thank you.

For the guy who posted below asking "how this can be drama when he has an injury"..Well you just don't understand because you haven't been following Harvin his whole career. What AlaskanViking is saying is, "He may need surgery, but there's a good chance this is just Percy not wanting to practice".
But didn't an mri show a slight tear? How is he to pull that off?

I'm not saying that he's completely faking being hurt somehow, but the fact that he's delaying practice for at least 5 days against the recommendation of the team doctors (and my experience of following him as a Vikings fan) makes me suspicious...

"Team doctors and the Seahawks recommended Harvin doesn’t get surgery, and practice while getting treatment."

Vesuve

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, AKViking,

I hope you're right.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":29tgnl0o said:
peachesenregalia":29tgnl0o said:
Journo's here don't want Joe Kinnear calling them a c**t on live telly.

It should be seen as a badge of honour.

I understand your view, but here in Merica, the only reporters who ask tough questions are Bob Costas and Jerry Grey, and they really are c**ts. (and midgets) Local reporters don't have to ask tough questions, because La Canfora and Schefter will just make up two opposite answers to all the tough questions that went unasked.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Apparently Pete said today that if Harvin has surgery, his season is over.

"If you have hip surgery, it's a lot longer than the season," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll told USA TODAY Sports on Friday. "Hip surgery, he's not going to play for the season."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... e/2591055/

Call me crazy but this article is almost starting to sound like its is going to be a showdown between the Seahawks and their doctors and Harvin and his doctors. Yikes. Could Pete be using IR as a threat to make Percy think long and hard about getting a surgery for something he could play through?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1v0rpjuv said:
I don't want him getting hit by Browner and Chancellor anyway.

This is the good bad thing that happens in order to keep the really bad thing from happening.

Great Point.

.......Perhaps Percy has elected not to get hit by Browner and Chancellor, as well.....?

Hmmmmm....

-The Glove-

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2avew3mh said:
Why put him on the PUP instead of simply holding him out?

You can take someone off the preseason PUP list at anytime. You can't put them on PUP once training camp starts.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":r9pjrd9t said:
Apparently Pete said today that if Harvin has surgery, his season is over.

"If you have hip surgery, it's a lot longer than the season," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll told USA TODAY Sports on Friday. "Hip surgery, he's not going to play for the season."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... e/2591055/

Call me crazy but this article is almost starting to sound like its is going to be a showdown between the Seahawks and their doctors and Harvin and his doctors. Yikes. Could Pete be using IR as a threat to make Percy think long and hard about getting a surgery for something he could play through?

From that same article:

"A lot of guys just take what they hear from the outside and build their own perspective," said Rice, who considers Harvin one of his best friends.

"But he's a real good guy. Everybody likes him around here. He's a guy that comes to work every day, on and off the field, does the extra work in the weight room, the film study. Everybody's going to form their own opinion, and when the light's shining on you, they're always going to find something bad to say."

SDHawk

Reaction score
I would also point to Doug Baldwin's presser from today in which he said he had to learn to take a break in the offseason. He said he tried to push himself too hard to compete and that lead to him physically peaking early in the season and inviting injury.

I might have been skeptical if we were talking migraines. But a torn labrum is something that is difficult to fake and isn't an excuse that one would use to skip out on a few practices.

Cartire

Reaction score
SDHawk":3c7mfgwa said:
I would also point to Doug Baldwin's presser from today in which he said he had to learn to take a break in the offseason. He said he tried to push himself too hard to compete and that lead to him physically peaking early in the season and inviting injury.

I might have been skeptical if we were talking migraines. But a torn labrum is something that is difficult to fake and isn't an excuse that one would use to skip out on a few practices.

Well especially when the team itself said it was torn on the mri. So you cant really fake a tear.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Day 1 and Harvin already injured. Nice start to the 2013 season. The concerning part is the injury is to his leg. For a WR that relies on his speed and quickness, that's not good. Christine Michael get ready, you're the next up for kickoff returns (that were there's a big hole now). Not too worried about the WR corps since most of them were here last year and they were ok.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":13qsifmn said:
SDHawk":13qsifmn said:

Well especially when the team itself said it was torn on the mri. So you cant really fake a tear.

Right, my comment was directed at the Vikings fan that came over to stir the pot by suggesting that this was all ploy by Harvin to get out of practices. I don't buy that crap for a second.

I am certain the FO did their homework. They vetted Harvin with Pete, Bevell, Rice, etc etc.

To me, it's clear that this is one of those "freak" injuries and suggestions that this is somehow a consequence of Percy's attitude towards practice is just ridiculous. No one is saying anything negative about Harvin, on the contrary, there have been no shortage of reports that Harvin is a workout warrior and is excited to be with the Hawks.

SDHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":pe07tvww said:
Day 1 and Harvin already injured. Nice start to the 2013 season. The concerning part is the injury is to his leg. For a WR that relies on his speed and quickness, that's not good. Christine Michael get ready, you're the next up for kickoff returns (that were there's a big hole now). Not too worried about the WR corps since most of them were here last year and they were ok.

Not to mention the emergence of both Stephen Williams and Phil Bates as camp stars, per Burger's reports.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I don't even want to think of the guy who is next in line as a punt retuned. He's dynamic and can get the job done, but there would be a good chance he gets hurt as well. WTIII

AlaskanViking

Reaction score
SDHawk":a8riazuu said:
Cartire":a8riazuu said:
SDHawk":a8riazuu said:

Right, my comment was directed at the Vikings fan that came over to stir the pot by suggesting that this was all ploy by Harvin to get out of practices. I don't buy that crap for a second.

I am certain the FO did their homework. They vetted Harvin with Pete, Bevell, Rice, etc etc.

To me, it's clear that this is one of those "freak" injuries and suggestions that this is somehow a consequence of Percy's attitude towards practice is just ridiculous. No one is saying anything negative about Harvin, on the contrary, there have been no shortage of reports that Harvin is a workout warrior and is excited to be with the Hawks.

1. I didn't come to "stir the pot", but it's clear that many Seahawks fans here aren't aware of some of Percy's issues in the past. Maybe it will be a problem in Seattle, maybe not. I'm only adding my 2 cents after following his entire NFL career to this point very, very closely.

2. I never said Harvin was faking an injury (although I am skeptical if it is really that serious). I am suspicious that he chose this course of action. On day #1 of training camp. Against team doctors recommendations. After a long history in Minnesota of being a practice-skipper for every possible health issue.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Oh well....he's not the first athlete to be as fragile as glass. Can't say that we didn't see this coming...then again, some believe in a miracle change in behavior with a new team.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":cj8lull6 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":cj8lull6 said:
peachesenregalia":cj8lull6 said:
Journo's here don't want Joe Kinnear calling them a c**t on live telly.

It should be seen as a badge of honour.

I understand your view, but here in Merica, the only reporters who ask tough questions are Bob Costas and Jerry Grey, and they really are c**ts. (and midgets) Local reporters don't have to ask tough questions, because La Canfora and Schefter will just make up two opposite answers to all the tough questions that went unasked.

Every journalist should be prepared to ask tough questions.

I really couldn't give two hoots about how Tarvaris Jackson looked on day one, or how "exciting" it was to see James Carpenter back, or whether Robert Turbin's role will be (insert overly complicated X's and O's spiel to try and sound clever). I wanted to know what the hell was going on with Percy.

That press conference yesterday was a waste of time and Tom Pelissero - with as far as I'm aware zero connections to Seattle or the Seahawks - managed to get better quotes from Pete Carroll just hours later. Probably with a bit of probing.

A lot of the hand wringing of the last 24 hours would've been avoided had the answers Pelissero managed to get been drained yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.