Let's Talk Mariners

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
This Mariners team is turning out to be a rather pleasant surprise. They are making a run of it and will probably fall short this season, but there is actually hope for the future. It would not surprise me if they managed to turn a winning record out of the shit show they put on at the start of the season, much as our Seahawks did.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
m0ng0":2pyjah9u said:
Jack Z is on Brock and Danny right now, pretty interesting stuff.

Like what? Wedge is going to be out for most of the season (a la Chuck Pagano) and this team is going to rally behind him and make the playoffs?

m0ng0

Reaction score
yes and they are making a deal breaking run at Alphonso Soriano, going to trade for Adam Jones so they can right the wrongs of the mariners past, all tickets are free until the end of the year and the big unit is coming out of retirement.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Welp....It was a good streak. Start the next one tomorrow with Kuma on the bump.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Sweeping Cleveland would have been cool (I'm still holding out hope)... but MIN in town should easily be a 3-1 or sweep series.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
They had to lose sometime. I was impressed with Z at catcher. He saved a run yesterday and has looked very good.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'll take 2/3 the rest of the year. Go 40-23. 88 wins might not get us in the playoffs, but that's amazing.

Hawker

Reaction score
It's a tough task to essentially play .666 ball the rest of the way, especially against teams in the hunt for the pennant, and considering if we hover around 7-10 games back in the AL West / Wildcard standings we are more likely to have some late-season rookie call-ups (which usually do not equate to more wins). But who knows. This season could have easily gone the way of the past few, where the word "playoffs" was only a fabled story we'd tell our kids of 2001, 1997, 1995. But seemingly now, we are taking on the shape of a ballclub with playoff berth potential, if not this season, then next. Assuming an infield of 2-Zunino, 3-Smoak, 4-Franklin, 5-Seager, 6-Miller, at the start of next season, that is one hell of a talent pool to build from.

CPHawk

Reaction score
What late season call ups? Maybe Walker, but most of them are already up in Seattle now.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Nice to see the M's bounce back from a big loss (albeit a series win) with a big win, instead of starting a losing streak. Against the Twins for three more games, the M's have a chance to make a run at .500. Which almost always ends in catastrophe (seriously, I don't think I've seen the M's make .500 late in the season since 2009, and then they lost 14 in a row to avoid the playoffs). Great to see Ackley get 3 hits in a game, as well, nevermind Smoak's actually super respectable line.

m0ng0

Reaction score
CPHawk":11ouosms said:
What late season call ups? Maybe Walker, but most of them are already up in Seattle now.

I was listening to Z on Brock & Danny and he had lots of positive things to say about Abraham Almonte whom we aquired from the Yankees for Shawn Kelley. Depending on what happens with our outfield I could see him coming up towards the end of the year.

**edit** I was just reading up a little more on this guy and noticed this little tidbit :(
Acquired by the Seattle Mariners from the New York Yankees for pitcher Shawn Kelley on Feb. 13, 2013. ... Signed by the Yankees as a non-drafted free agent on July 2, 2005 ... Compiled a 34-game hitting streak in 2011 ... also reached base safely in 36 consecutive games to finish the campaign ... Played 17 games in 2010 before undergoing surgery to repair a torn right labrum.