Let's Talk Mariners

Vpk0718

Reaction score
jkitsune":15wdzyv4 said:
amill87":15wdzyv4 said:
jkitsune":15wdzyv4 said:
The Angels and Astros are still the Angels and Astros. If the Mariners can take a couple series from good teams, I'll be happier. All of that said, it's really nice to see the young guys succeeding, and gives me a fair amount of hope for the future. If Saunders and Ackley can figure something out, that's not an awful roster.

How about the Rangers and Reds? Outside of one game vs the red sox, they also played that series very well.

I'm not too concerned about Ackley or Saunders. The bigger question is can this offense survive when the day comes when they lose Morales and Ibanez.

Another immediate issue is while all this sudden offense is great. Our pitching is extremely inconsistent. The ball pen is even worse. While they have shown flashes, they often are letting games slip away

I'm aware that they've won some series against good teams, but if regression to the mean is going to occur, it's going to occur, and 4-run 9th innings won't produce wins against other teams... as you said. So, yeah, we'll see. If Saunders can get back on track and Ackley can start to pick it up, the Mariners are suddenly young and effective (starting pitching pending).

Assuming you're talking about Sunday's game with that 4-run 9th inning comment, that doesn't happen if it's not a 12-1 blowout. They're not going to trot out LaFramboise and Farquhar if it's a close game.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Vpk0718":2yrwdaq7 said:
Assuming you're talking about Sunday's game with that 4-run 9th inning comment, that doesn't happen if it's not a 12-1 blowout. They're not going to trot out LaFramboise and Farquhar if it's a close game.

I think he was speaking of the Indians game last night that Seattle won 2-1 with Harrang pitching 8)

Hawker

Reaction score
Hard to stay up to see the conclusions of home games (work at 3am), but I've been watching intensely this past week or so. Keep it up! Miller time!

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Reading through a lot of this thread it makes me wonder to what level people actually know the game of baseball and how it's played and managed or if they're just box-score and standings fans. The 4-run 9th comment is a perfect example of not understanding situational baseball and this is a simple one. Our 4 weakest relievers closed out that game with a 12 run cushion. None of those guys are throwing in a tight game. Medina, Bartender, Furbush and Perez are not going in that game unless things really got out of hand in the 9th.

If that was a 3-1 type game, Felix for sure pitches in the 7th and maybe the 8th depending on how quick he got out of the 7th. He threw 99 after 8 days of starter rest(with 1 inning in the ASG). 115 pitches is a good soft cap for Felix. He threw 125+ in a few games last season.

I'm no longer in the "wait and see" mode. This team is going to be a contender next year and Im just going to enjoy watching them grow together the rest of this season. They'll finish within a couple games of .500 on either side, and that'll be a successful year. I wish people would stop being so tentative about how much fun they're to watch right now, throwing a turd in the punchbowl with the fears that they'll go on a slide. So what? We're seeing the growth and the potential. They'll hit a few bumps in the road. I'm an optimist and still don't expect them to pull a miracle run to 90+ wins. Enjoy the ride.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Morse is finding his stroke in Tacoma, so I can see him joining the team quite soon !

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how Morse fits into the lineup now. It's going to be one of those "good" problems if he is ready to go and comes back stroking like he did the first few weeks of the season.

If Ackley keeps improving at the dish, it'll be hard to keep him on the bench for defensive reasons, which then puts Morse into the OF/DH/1B rotation bucket between he, Raul, Morales and Smoak. Might actually be a good time to give Raul a little more rest with the ridiculous traveling they're going to be doing over the next month. Home til Sunday, @ Boston starting tuesday, then to Baltimore, then back home for TOR and MIL, then all the way down to Tampa, Texas and Oakland(that's a trip).

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I am hoping that Morse comes back, mashes for a week, and then we trade him for a third starter or someone who can play left field, take walks, and hit for enough power to have a decent ISO.

Well, that, or I hope Kendrys Morales magically figures out how to run and play left, but that last one isn't happening.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Wow, the M's are really coming together. Amazing the amount of young guys who give Raul props for their hitting, maybe we should hire him as the hitting coach once he retires.

jkitsune

Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":1wkf1xoq said:
Reading through a lot of this thread it makes me wonder to what level people actually know the game of baseball and how it's played and managed or if they're just box-score and standings fans. The 4-run 9th comment is a perfect example of not understanding situational baseball and this is a simple one. Our 4 weakest relievers closed out that game with a 12 run cushion. None of those guys are throwing in a tight game. Medina, Bartender, Furbush and Perez are not going in that game unless things really got out of hand in the 9th.

If that was a 3-1 type game, Felix for sure pitches in the 7th and maybe the 8th depending on how quick he got out of the 7th. He threw 99 after 8 days of starter rest(with 1 inning in the ASG). 115 pitches is a good soft cap for Felix. He threw 125+ in a few games last season.

I'm no longer in the "wait and see" mode. This team is going to be a contender next year and Im just going to enjoy watching them grow together the rest of this season. They'll finish within a couple games of .500 on either side, and that'll be a successful year. I wish people would stop being so tentative about how much fun they're to watch right now, throwing a turd in the punchbowl with the fears that they'll go on a slide. So what? We're seeing the growth and the potential. They'll hit a few bumps in the road. I'm an optimist and still don't expect them to pull a miracle run to 90+ wins. Enjoy the ride.

I'm going to ignore the jab at my baseball knowledge (except for that comment acknowledging its existence, and this one clarifying it), and instead point out that blowing 9th-inning leads is far from unfamiliar territory for the Mariners this year. Wilhelmson managed to wriggle his way out of this one, but near-calamity occurs with alarming frequency this year, and walking such a tightrope is not going to lead to consistently good results. 4 runs in a blowout ninth against the Astros against our worst relievers is not something to jump off a cliff over, but I think the team trend of losing games late and in high-pressure situations is worth noting, commenting on, and hoping improves.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
What's weird is they aren't playing necessarily 'good' baseball. They are just finding ways to win, which is something they haven't done in YEARS.

Hawker

Reaction score
I would say that the M's are indeed playing 'good' baseball of late.

Few stats for the month of July (and what a month!)

18 games played
Record 13-5 (0.722%)
Outscored opponents 108-83 (or 6 runs/game vs. 4.6 runs/game averaged)

Hawker

Reaction score
Our streak will inevitably end soon enough, that's just baseball. But if we keep winning series, and if Baltimore, Texas & New York struggle - just a bit - we might actually be in a position of contention for the 2nd wild card slot.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3h9frj4a said:
What's weird is they aren't playing necessarily 'good' baseball. They are just finding ways to win, which is something they haven't done in YEARS.

There is quite a bit of good baseball being played right now, certainly far more than the sloppy ball we saw last night and the weirdness of Saturday's game.

So yeah, disagree.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Very interesting turn of events with the trade deadline fast approaching. The kids have certainly been playing well and in the absence of veteran help outside Morales and Ibanez.

So now what? Can't trade the youngsters as outside Seager, Iwakuma and the King no one has real value in return. But the hope of potential is raised again.

The vets have frittered away. Bay, Morse, Guti et all really wouldn't bring anything back. Saunders and Ramirez the same.

Ibanez and Morales are it and I just wouldn't do it.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Morales, but only if you can get a TOP prospect in return.

Then we turn around and re-sign him in the off-season.

Latest posts