Mike Tyson was a bad, bad man

Shaz

Reaction score
Tyson was one of the most scientific and smartest fighters when he had Cus backing him, he didn't just use his power, he baited you into believing you could slug with him

If Cus was with him his whole career, we're looking at a maximum 2 loss fighter (No Buster Douglas')

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Shaz":1782lf5q said:
Tyson was one of the most scientific and smartest fighters when he had Cus backing him, he didn't just use his power, he baited you into believing you could slug with him

If Cus was with him his whole career, we're looking at a maximum 2 loss fighter (No Buster Douglas')

Who do you think he would have lost to?

Chapman

Reaction score
Watching the video's slow motion frames it looks like Tyson knew if he hit his opponent in the head squarely it was a gaurenteed knock out, so he was changing the arc of his swing of his left hook to land with downward force to the chin and upper chest.
The oppenent still gets the full impact of the punch, but gets knocked down instead of knocked out.
Almost as if he was having some mercy on the fools thinking they were getting out of there alive.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":3rr6rz6e said:
Shaz":3rr6rz6e said:

Lewis

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":my5607l5 said:
Anyone watch the documentary Tyson?

Watched it last night. Its a good film. It definatly turns him into a sympathetic charachter. But with the whole thing from his perspective its hard to know how much of the story is just his spin on things. Still love Iron Mike though.

Shaz

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":gj7lxf1m said:
Shaz":gj7lxf1m said:

Lewis and possibly Holyfield

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Foreman in Zaire was a lot like Tyson - As long as Ali could work with loose ropes, ain't no one could hang with him if he got took the distance. Watch When We Were Kings.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sadly, I was born in 1989 so I missed out on Iron Mike when he was in his prime. That video is beastly! I have never really watched many videos of Tyson from the 80's and now I have a new found respect/fear for the man. The guy was fast, extremely powerful and actually defended pretty well as far as keeping his hands up and dodging shots. He looks like he hits like a truck! He is such an intriguing and polarizing character... I gotta watch Tyson sometime soon from the sounds of it.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Tyson's technique to aim for the back of the head caused his fist to drive virtually through the opponent's head. :( Guys were crapping themselves out there. A left hook near-miss in front of their face and the opponent is knocked out by the aireal shock wave.

Tical21

Reaction score
As I've gone back over Tyson's career, I've actually thought less of him as a boxer. Nobody in boxing history has dispensed of stiffs faster. Even during his comebacks, he would knock everybody out quickly on his way back towards the top contenders. Then he would get in the ring with somebody who wasn't completely outclassed by his power, and he got outboxed, frustrated, and beaten, usually badly. He just had no answer for somebody he couldn't knockout fairly quickly. Nobody was more electrifying against nobodies, but aside of possibly Spinks, who was well thought of at the time, he lost whenever he fought another decent fighter.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tical21":1bb5k0iq said:
As I've gone back over Tyson's career, I've actually thought less of him as a boxer. Nobody in boxing history has dispensed of stiffs faster. Even during his comebacks, he would knock everybody out quickly on his way back towards the top contenders. Then he would get in the ring with somebody who wasn't completely outclassed by his power, and he got outboxed, frustrated, and beaten, usually badly. He just had no answer for somebody he couldn't knockout fairly quickly. Nobody was more electrifying against nobodies, but aside of possibly Spinks, who was well thought of at the time, he lost whenever he fought another decent fighter.

As I think back those fights were all after Cus died and for the most part his prison stint. I know many that claim the Douglas fight was fixed too. I was too young to.make that call but the claim is he never threw a combo.

SirTed

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":q7bwhxb4 said:
Tical21":q7bwhxb4 said:

As I think back those fights were all after Cus died and for the most part his prison stint. I know many that claim the Douglas fight was fixed too. I was too young to.make that call but the claim is he never threw a combo.

Couple things:

1. Tyson DEFINITELY had his record padded by taking on a bunch of stiffs. He was SUPER young, remember. Despite all of the chumps he ended up destroying, he still ended up being the youngest Heavyweight Champ of all time - so just keep in mind that it was deliberate - working his way up. He also destroyed the "good" fighters in his way eventually - Spinks, Tucker etc. One thing that they may have mentioned in that doc (or I saw somewhere else) was that Tyson had real trouble controlling his breathing in the ring. This is a really big deal - nothing will gas you faster - Anyway - Tyson and his corner obviously knew this, so he had to go into most fights looking for the early knockout.

2. I doubt the Douglas fight was fixed. Douglas was the prototype (and later Lewis, obviously) for the exact type of fighter that gave Mike trouble - basically a "real" Heavyweight. Tall, big, and skilled. I'm not disparaging Mike at all, he's still one of my favorites but his size really limited him against bigger fighters - and he happened to come along at a time when the Heavyweight division was lacking.

samwize77

Reaction score
Tical21":2jptjszg said:

Bingo...we have a winner.
I like Tyson...and loved watching him fight. BUT get him in a ring with a talented top rated contender and its a different story.

Shaz

Reaction score
Tical21":9xai8vrh said:

When he lost Cus, he lost his smarts and guide. He was the perfect fighter for Cus, a machine of absolute destruction who follows orders to the T. When the brain broke down, it killed the machine completely

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Holyfield subtly headbutted Tyson early on and split his head open during the ear-bite fight. The refs weren't seeing it. Tyson could've won--that was the turning point.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Mitch "Blood" Green took Tyson to a decision in Tyson's prime, and Frank Bruno had Tyson out on his feet, but was too stupid to follow up with a headshot in the middle rounds. Tyson was a great fighter early, but he was also fighting a lot of tomato cans. The guys who weren't just trading shots and actually knew how to move like Green never saw a chance in the ring with him after the Green and Bruno fights, Tyson would only have guys like "The Truth" put in front of him. Paper champions who had never done anything.

Tyson would have gotten beaten in his prime by Chris Byrd because the kid was 100% defense and a lefty, and Ike Ibeabuchi and David Tua likely would have killed him if they both hadn't completely self-destructed.

The real amazing talent was Don King, who was able to so rig the system that the best guy Tyson ever had to fight was a washed up Trevor Berbick and a brain damaged and genuinely completely disinterested and decimated Michael Spinks (who had been punched nearly to death by Holmes in their fights but won on his ability to move and jab). Tyson did that and was labeled as the GREATEST.

Then things went south and he HAD to face guys that were actually top 10 fighters like Buster Douglas, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, and even losers like Franz Botha.

Tyson is one of the most interesting, quotable, crazy-lifed, open, honest athletes that ever lived. But he was given the keys to the kingdom at a young age and really blew it by just fighting everybody. His opponents were VERY carefully picked early. After he fought Blood then everything changed, and the type of opponent he fought was even more narrow (usually tall lanky guys like The Truth) that he could get inside and decimate. Near the end there was really nobody left for him to fight. Anybody that was bigger than him physically like Douglas and could push him around was not even considered. Holyfield was his only option because they thought his heart problems would end it early, and Tyson would dominate him because Holyfield was a natural cruiserweight who fought at Light Heavy (much like Roy Jones eventually did). That Douglas fight exposed Tyson and laid out the blueprint for guys of any size to beat him. Move, counter, jab, move. Frustration sets in because he can't get inside. Holyfield is the next guy to fight him who isn't scared for a second and does the same thing that the much larger Buster Douglas did and dominated as well. Career over. It's a shame. Tyson could have gone 50-0 and retired as the greatest. But hey... at least once he loosened himself from the Don King death grip he actually took fights people wanted him to take, and didn't make excuses when he got his ass kicked (like Don King did for a year after Douglas beat the holy hell out of him).

Lanakila

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":c267c4pt said:
I suggest everyone here watch Tyson. To give you an idea how good it is, here's something I found on the IMDB page.

To gage what effect "Tyson" would have on audiences, James Toback asked the opinions of the film's opposite demographic: older white women who were disinterested in boxing. He asked that they come to his editing suite and watch the film. If they left after 5 minutes, Toback would give them $100 USD. If they stayed after 5 minutes, they would have to stay for the whole picture - and give Toback extensive feedback on the film. According to Toback, not one woman left after 5 minutes, and many were in tears by the film's finale.

I watched it a couple of times. Hard not come away from that without more respect for the man.

Shaz

Reaction score
sc85sis":1oahulne said:
Sorry guys, I can't like a rapist and wife-beater. The guy is a thug.

I know he served time but I don't think he raped that chick at all