Kaepernick & Lockette

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Kaepernick & Lockette
Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:32 am
  • Did you know... that Ricardo Lockette is living at Colin Kaepernick's house?

He describes his growth as night and day - based on the simplicity of the dialogue they have together now:

Just different ways of breaking the play down. Instead of going through it as if, ‘Okay, you do this if the safety does this,’ you know, how the coaches explain it, Cover 4, Cover 5. [Kaepernick] says, ‘Hey, remember it this way. Okay, this car is this color, your favorite car is red, so when you hear red, you run a Corvette,’ or something like that. Just like that, just break it down is how we do it. And that’s how we’re going to make plays happen. We’re going to make it as simple as possible and play as hard as we can into Sunday

I think we all know the "potential" of Lockette - but does this simpleton thinking and logic mean that these two guys really don't "have it"?

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1711 ... mpaign=nfl
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Re: Kaepernick & Lockette
Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:37 am
  • It sure means Lockette is a dullard. Kaep is the teacher, so I wouldn't say it means anything about him.
    It's good to have a BFF.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 am
  • Scotte pointed out/suggested awhile ago that all this "Kap's a hard-worker..." noise feels like a political spin. And, I'm convinced he's right.

The Seahawks dont really talk about Wilson's work and dedication, reporters do. That's not the case in SF...the team and teammates are consistently interjecting Kap's "commitment and leadership" whenever possible. It's a talking point on par with MSNBC or Fox News.

Good thing for Kap is I still remember Don Majkowski...lovingly actually. The same goes for McMahon, Bosworth, Kordell, Stan Humphries, etc. I'll always remember him.
    Last edited by pehawk on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:49 am
  • Certainly Lockette had his chances here but could not capitalize - perhaps it was this inability to absorb the crunch behind the playbook... I was looking at some other analysis of Kaepernick and through my own observations, it really seems he is surviving off of talent right now. Not to take away from his accomplishments, because they are tremendous. It seems that Kaepernick is not yet very close to complete. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum on the main forum - but I see a guy who has created an amazing amount of success by being a major x-factor in the read-option. Defenses could not be ready for it - it's never been run with such success by any QB in the NFL. The remainder of his "game" has some holes for sure. I can't help but predict a reduction in stats for Kaepernick in his 2nd year of being a starting QB. I won't call it a "sophomore slump" - but I can't imagine it will be as good as or better than 2012.
    nsport

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:52 am
  • Plus Kap has an offensive mind on par with the all-time greats coaching him. Oh, and a great line. If you cant succeed in in those circumstances, you shouldn't be in the NFL.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:15 am
  • nsport wrote:Certainly Lockette had his chances here but could not capitalize - perhaps it was this inability to absorb the crunch behind the playbook... I was looking at some other analysis of Kaepernick and through my own observations, it really seems he is surviving off of talent right now. Not to take away from his accomplishments, because they are tremendous. It seems that Kaepernick is not yet very close to complete. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum on the main forum - but I see a guy who has created an amazing amount of success by being a major x-factor in the read-option. Defenses could not be ready for it - it's never been run with such success by any QB in the NFL. The remainder of his "game" has some holes for sure. I can't help but predict a reduction in stats for Kaepernick in his 2nd year of being a starting QB. I won't call it a "sophomore slump" - but I can't imagine it will be as good as or better than 2012.

The reduction in stats could be unavoidable, no Crabs to start the year. I personally really like some of Kaep's skills, but I also think the holes in his game are some of the most difficult to overcome. The red zone passing for instance is a mental, creative, and decision making issue that I don't know will ever be his strength. But when stepping into a pocket he throws some dimes in the 20-40 yard range he is already one of the leagues best. And he is still learning to play under center. So is there the potential for him and Lockette to establish an on field rapport? For sure.

I originally thought San Fran was doing all this press crap about Kaep to prop him up in the media, but having watched his immaturity leak through the team created persona over the last few months I now see it as at least partially how the team is trying to steer the young man to make good decisions. There is a mental fragility to Kaep that is plain as day when he has bad games. Immature+mental fragility=somewhat concerned team. They need Kaep to know they have confidence. So they steer the press as best they can.

Our resident Niner protectors will chime in soon to let us know how wrong we are, but for the life of me I can't figure out why we needed press reports about how he was completing almost all his passes in OTA practices. It wasn't isolated, it was constant, and most definitely not in keeping with Harbaugh's love of keeping practices mostly private. Truth is, the public doesn't need those reports, Kaepernick does. He needs to hear that even without his Number one WR, they have confidence in him. Niner forums are full of fans drooling about Lockette, I have seen 1200 yard seasons predicted for him. Lockette is a fast wench playing WR, not a baller. The Niners searching through our trash to sign Charley Martin and considering signing that candle Austin Collie says a lot more about the real team confidence in Lockette and the rest of the WR than anything else.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 am
  • Lockette is going to run post routes when he's on the field. That's it. It's going to make him incredibly easy to defend.

"You got Ricardo?"

"Yeah man."

"He's running a post."

"No [way]!?"
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:48 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:I originally thought San Fran was doing all this press crap about Kaep to prop him up in the media, but having watched his immaturity leak through the team created persona over the last few months I now see it as at least partially how the team is trying to steer the young man to make good decisions. There is a mental fragility to Kaep that is plain as day when he has bad games. Immature+mental fragility=somewhat concerned team. They need Kaep to know they have confidence. So they steer the press as best they can.

I really like this paragraph. It reminds me of the fragility of Cam Newton. Successful and electric - some of it manufactured by intangibles (speed, scheme), some by truly great play - but not a complete player. The Debbie Downer attitude is not a leadership skill whatsoever - and portrays lack of confidence. This could potentially be the biggest hole.
    nsport

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:56 am
  • pehawk wrote:Scotte pointed out/suggested awhile ago that all this "Kap's a hard-worker..." noise feels like a political spin. And, I'm convinced he's right.

The Seahawks dont really talk about Wilson's work and dedication, reporters do.
    That's not the case in SF...the team and teammates are consistently interjecting Kap's "commitment and leadership" whenever possible. It's a talking point on par with MSNBC or Fox News.

Good thing for Kap is I still remember Don Majkowski...lovingly actually. The same goes for McMahon, Bosworth, Kordell, Stan Humphries, etc. I'll always remember him.

Are you kidding me. Pete always brings a hurricane of praise about Wilson's work ethic. Everyone in the Seahawks locker room does.

Kap works out more than everyone in that locker room. Which is saying something. That alone is leadership. Being a presence and trying to get better as an example. Even if you don't like the way he speaks or even if you question his intelligence (which you have absolutely no grounds to support your theory that he is a simpleton), the fact that Kap is always in the locker room and the weight room shows that he is a leader.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    I originally thought San Fran was doing all this press crap about Kaep to prop him up in the media, but having watched his immaturity leak through the team created persona over the last few months I now see it as at least partially how the team is trying to steer the young man to make good decisions.

What immaturity?
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 am
  • SoHo9erFan wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    I originally thought San Fran was doing all this press crap about Kaep to prop him up in the media, but having watched his immaturity leak through the team created persona over the last few months I now see it as at least partially how the team is trying to steer the young man to make good decisions.

What immaturity?

Thanks for my "laughing till tears roll down" moment for the week!
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:01 am
  • Seriously Niner fans - he gets credit around here for what he has accomplished. Look at it through an objective lens... Immature? Sure. Holes in game? Absolutely. Possibility for a lower/less-effective stat year? Very probable.
    nsport

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:10 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    nsport wrote:Certainly Lockette had his chances here but could not capitalize - perhaps it was this inability to absorb the crunch behind the playbook... I was looking at some other analysis of Kaepernick and through my own observations, it really seems he is surviving off of talent right now. Not to take away from his accomplishments, because they are tremendous. It seems that Kaepernick is not yet very close to complete. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum on the main forum - but I see a guy who has created an amazing amount of success by being a major x-factor in the read-option. Defenses could not be ready for it - it's never been run with such success by any QB in the NFL. The remainder of his "game" has some holes for sure. I can't help but predict a reduction in stats for Kaepernick in his 2nd year of being a starting QB. I won't call it a "sophomore slump" - but I can't imagine it will be as good as or better than 2012.

The reduction in stats could be unavoidable, no Crabs to start the year. I personally really like some of Kaep's skills, but I also think the holes in his game are some of the most difficult to overcome. The red zone passing for instance is a mental, creative, and decision making issue that I don't know will ever be his strength. But when stepping into a pocket he throws some dimes in the 20-40 yard range he is already one of the leagues best. And he is still learning to play under center. So is there the potential for him and Lockette to establish an on field rapport? For sure.

I originally thought San Fran was doing all this press crap about Kaep to prop him up in the media, but having watched his immaturity leak through the team created persona over the last few months I now see it as at least partially how the team is trying to steer the young man to make good decisions. There is a mental fragility to Kaep that is plain as day when he has bad games. Immature+mental fragility=somewhat concerned team. They need Kaep to know they have confidence. So they steer the press as best they can.

Our resident Niner protectors will chime in soon to let us know how wrong we are, but for the life of me I can't figure out why we needed press reports about how he was completing almost all his passes in OTA practices. It wasn't isolated, it was constant, and most definitely not in keeping with Harbaugh's love of keeping practices mostly private. Truth is, the public doesn't need those reports, Kaepernick does. He needs to hear that even without his Number one WR, they have confidence in him. Niner forums are full of fans drooling about Lockette, I have seen 1200 yard seasons predicted for him. Lockette is a fast wench playing WR, not a baller. The Niners searching through our trash to sign Charley Martin and considering signing that candle Austin Collie says a lot more about the real team confidence in Lockette and the rest of the WR than anything else.

You NEVER fail to deliver.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 pm
  • I am not going to slam Kaep for helping his friend and wide receiver out - what is wrong with that? Apparently they bought the house together
    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/201 ... e-nfl.html

I don't care about that

What is interesting from the Lockette standpoint is the articles about simplifying the offense for Vick a few years back in Atlanta. They totally revamped it so he would understand it. As we all know nobody simplified the defense he was playing against for him since he still doesn't understand how that impacts his game.

Then this year the Panthers came out and said they would simplify the offense for Cam Newton

Now somoeone is simplifying the terms for Lockette

Clearly some guys aren't as quick and smart as others. Sherman will push down WR's the second it is allowed by the rules - smart. Others need to be told in terms like a Corvette makes you run fast - not so smart.

He could still stick in this league but these kind of articles tells me that he will NEVER run a different route because of defense he is facing. That if Peyton gave him a wink with his hand that would mean something different (like Manning does) he would not get it and the resutl would be an incomplete / interception. Doesn't mean he won't be a reliable guy just don't expect that extra in his thought process.......

As the Tyree proved in the superbowl. You don't have to be a fantastic WR to make one play that makes everyone remember you..........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:23 pm
  • Gotta admit, this doesn't look good for Lockette to be able to stick around. If he can't do it this training camp with Crabtree out, then he just can't do it. One only gets so much time to figure it out. With Kyle Williams back and with the addition of Patton, he is going to have to show it earlier than later. If he makes it, great. If not, then it isn't a huge loss or anything. Basically, I always looked at him as the Niners hoping to find the diamond in the rough, so to speak.

Regardless, two out of that group of WRs need to step up. At this point, I don't care who it is, as long as they play well. It would be nice to have a speedy vertical threat with Lockette's size. At this point, and unless something changes, anytime they put him in everybody will know he is running a seam or fly route.

One of the reasons why I like to watch preseason games (on tv).
    NorCal
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:36 pm
  • colon slapperdink.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:44 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    nsport wrote:Certainly Lockette had his chances here but could not capitalize - perhaps it was this inability to absorb the crunch behind the playbook... I was looking at some other analysis of Kaepernick and through my own observations, it really seems he is surviving off of talent right now. Not to take away from his accomplishments, because they are tremendous. It seems that Kaepernick is not yet very close to complete. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum on the main forum - but I see a guy who has created an amazing amount of success by being a major x-factor in the read-option. Defenses could not be ready for it - it's never been run with such success by any QB in the NFL. The remainder of his "game" has some holes for sure. I can't help but predict a reduction in stats for Kaepernick in his 2nd year of being a starting QB. I won't call it a "sophomore slump" - but I can't imagine it will be as good as or better than 2012.

Well...as one of those "resident Niner protectors"....

1) You are looking WAY too deep at this. The reports about Kaep have alot more to do with fans not being able to get enough news on him than the 49ers trying to push any kind of story. His every move is being watched by the media which is a big reason why the hat story, the sunglasses, and the body mag have become stories. LONG off-season with little to write about and a player who appears to be a magnet for reporters looking for a story.

2) Lockette? I have ZERO expectations for him. To me, he's camp fodder. He has a friend in Kaep which helps him, but everything I've heard about him tells me that he just doesn't have the tools between the ears to make it. Kaep is just trying to help his friend...and that's commendable, but Lockette faces a steep hill to make this team. To me, Boldin, Jenkins, and Patton are all ahead of him and when healthy Williams and Manningham will be too.

3) As for signing Martin and possibly Collie....this is just what the Niners do. The now voided trade for Wright is the same. They just look for competition at all positions. Hell, they have one of the best long snappers in the NFL and they have competition in camp to challenge him as well. Its just what they do. Fans of other teams always look at these moves like "OMG, they MUST be thin if they view THAT guy as an upgrade". NEWSFLASH: Not every signing is considered an upgrade. Some are signing for depth. Some are signed as Training Camp bodies. Some are just "what the hell, lets see what he's got".

4) Kaeps "mental fragility". LOL. I hate to break it to you, but Kaep played his best in games that really mattered. The only exception to that rule was in Seattle...and that was a TEAM loss. I know its popular to say that Kaep was "dominated" in that game and was like a deer in the headlights, but you guys have built that game up to be SOOOOOOOOO much more than it was. The Niners were soundly beaten that night. No excuse...but the things you guys read out of that game are mostly incorrect. In his first NFL start under the big lights of Monday Night Football he had a QB rating over 130. In his first road start in NO vs a LOUD crowd and against a team that was in a midseason resurgence he played very well. Against NE in freezing weather against a team that hadn't lost in December in like a decade, he threw 4 TD passes. In his first playoff start he started the game with a pick 6. He was so mentally fragile that he rebounded with one of the best performances by a QB in playoff history. The D on the road in Atlanta gave up 17 early points and he took them all the way back to do something Joe Montana only did once and Steve Young NEVER did...win an NFCCG on the road. In the SB the defense lapsed again in a bit way. No team has EVER allowed as many points as they did and won a SB. Never. Yet there he was...5 yards away in the biggest game on earth. His first 300 yard game was in the SB. Hate on the guy all you want, but don't give me this mentally fragile BS. Its bogus.

Now...is he good with the media? Hell no. He was just as raw off the field as on when he came out of Nevada. He isn't comfortable with the spotlight yet and he makes foolish mistakes. Don't get it twisted tho. Don't think that somehow this is a sign that the kid does't work his a$$ off or that he's somehow going to regress as a player. That is simply wishful thinking. He showed up on friday BTW when rookies were set to report when he didn't have to report till Wed. I'm sure alot of QBs do that.

5) As for Crab being out...that is a real concern. I think he'll adapt tho. He had much better chemistry with Vernon in the playoffs than he did in the regular season. This team is also still a running team at heart. If they can continue to move the ball on the ground (and with the entire line back along with a healthy Hunter to spell Gore I don't see any reason why they can't), Kaep is going to get WIDE OPEN looks off play action.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:25 pm
  • Hook. Line. Sinker.

Never fails. They even know they are falling in and they just can't help it.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:27 pm
  • Scotte, does it ever get boring for you, being able to catch that many fish with the same lure over time? :lol:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:Hook. Line. Sinker.

Yup....it never fails.

When you state something completely false I will correct you. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:11 pm
  • I find it kind of amusing that you're trying to explain the concept of camp fodder to fans of the team that had nearly 300 transactions in the first year of the current staff.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 pm
  • sc85sis wrote:I find it kind of amusing that you're trying to explain the concept of camp fodder to fans of the team that had nearly 300 transactions in the first year of the current staff.

Ding ding! Winner. :)
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 am
  • sc85sis wrote:I find it kind of amusing that you're trying to explain the concept of camp fodder to fans of the team that had nearly 300 transactions in the first year of the current staff.

I find it amusing too....but I still read stuff like "Charlie Martin is an upgrade for them" over here all the time.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:07 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Hook. Line. Sinker.

Yup....it never fails.

So then why did you spend 5 paragraphs avoiding his question?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Hook. Line. Sinker.

Yup....it never fails.

So then why did you spend 5 paragraphs avoiding his question?

I didn't avoid anything. I answered the question. His issue was pre-supposeing the media reports were put in place by the team. That's incorrect. The media reports were exactly that...reports from a media hungry to report ANYTHING.

I don't think peeps understand the scrutity Kaep is under right now in the Bay Area. They are watching his every move in order to make something out of it. Look no further than the stupid hat controversy. We have the Giants imploding, the A's playing great, we had the Warriors play better then they have in decades....yet the #1 story in the Bay Area is Colin Kaepernick. In the offseason.

I think Kaep has also become leary of the media after that article came out about his tatoos and then that was followed by the media plastering his birth mother all over TV...the one he has no interest in meeting.

Thats just the way the media works and is a commentary on the media dominance of the 49ers and the NFL in general in this area.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:03 am
  • ^ Well maybe if he didn't do stupid things to put himself in the media then he wouldn't be in the focus so much...... He is not getting any more scrutiny that others in that position he is just doing stupid things. Pouncey brothers wore dumb hats and they get the same media attention if not more........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am
  • mikeak wrote:^ Well maybe if he didn't do stupid things to put himself in the media then he wouldn't be in the focus so much...... He is not getting any more scrutiny that others in that position he is just doing stupid things. Pouncey brothers wore dumb hats and they get the same media attention if not more........

Granted it IS the offseason, I seriously doubt the media frenzy would be on the same level if those "stories" came out in October/November.
    Alkasquawlik
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:18 am
  • While true - remember the Romo vacation trip during the playoffs / before the playoffs? - Got some attention

Kaepernick doing body shots during the season would get a lot of attention..... it all depends on what they do and when. LBJ got slammed for wearing a hat of the yankees (different freaking sport) so it isn't like the precedent wasn't set before Kaepernick was faced with two choices

1) Pick a Dolphins hat to match the underwear
    2) Pull up your pants......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:28 pm
  • Yo Niner fans. Does Ricardo Lockette still refer to himself as "Channel 82" or whatever it is his # is? I remember being really hopeful on Lockette's potential after he first flashed in the preseason. Then I saw his YouTube videos where he looked like the biggest clown delusional hot shot ever. I never looked at him the same after seeing those videos. Don't take this as a direct shot. But I totally see why he and Kaep are best buds. VERY similar personalities.

PS - I say this as the not so proud owner of a preseason game used Lockette Seahawks jersey. Bought it for a cool $80 at a close out sale of the old Hawks gear when they changed jerseys. It was at the time when Lockette was still considered a potential break out player for the Hawks. Name players game used jerseys were in the hundreds to thousands of dollars. I thought I was being real slick in getting Lockette before he was a big star. Sad to say, I don't exactly cherish the jersey as much as I originally hoped. D'oh.

EDIT: Found the videos. They are just as bad as I remembered. Keep in mind this is during last offseason. After Lockette finished the prior year playing a couple late season games and had 1 big long td. That was it. And prior to last year's preseason and him getting cut by the Hawks.

Highlights from the first include Lockette referring to himself as "Pay-per-view", saying "We made it" multiple times, telling some girl named Keisha that she "did him wrong", and then closing by serenading Keisha with a "We made it! We made it!" song. Oh, and in total Kaep fasion, wearing sunglasses indoors the entire time. lol.

This much longer video, an interview done by Mike Rob, takes a few minutes to watch. But it is full of awesome. It includes highlights such as Robinson bagging on Lockette for only suiting up in 2 games after RL talks about teaching young guys how to get it done, RL answering his cell phone and telling his mom he's "on tv", and the should be world famous quote of "Once you're a lion, you're always a lion. I feel like I'm the king of any jungle that I'm in." And best of all, you can straight up see Michael Robinson roll his eyes at just about everything RL says. He straight up says, "Boy, you stupid," and "Why you talking bout commercials? Not everything is about superstardom." He even corrected Lockette when he referred to himself as "The Rocket", by saying "The Rocket was about 20 years ago. The vet was ready to school the rook. Oh, and the interview ends with Lockette answering a question about how long he's going to play by saying,"I dunno. 8 years? Depends how long it takes me to set the records I plan on setting." Oh my. These videos are so much funnier now that he's a friggin' 49er and not a Hawk. LMAO.

Sorry Niner fans if you think I'm overly hating. But this guy was a Seahawk when I watched these videos initially! I felt SO embarrassed. And as us fans are prone to do, I had to try to ignore the ridiculousness. It's only right that I now pass on the shame to you guys. :P Hope you cringed as much as I did originally. ;)
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:25 pm
  • I'm 100% with you EJ. I was super high on Lockette due to his potential, but his whole shtick made me grow sick of him, made me not want to root for him, and when he didn't really show a lot of progress in becoming an NFL WR, I was more than happy to see him walk.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:51 am
  • Kap works out more than everyone in that locker room. Which is saying something.

He might want to take a few minutes on those chicken legs from time to time. Just saying....
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:05 am
  • SoHo9erFan wrote:Kap works out more than everyone in that locker room. Which is saying something. That alone is leadership.

Lol, this might matter if being an NFL quarterback wasn't 80% mental. The dude likes to work out; and it makes sense, considering all the ego-praise he has gotten over the years for being a great athlete and beautiful physical specimen. I'll take Wilson being in the film room all day every day over being in the weight room every day, and twice on Sunday.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:33 pm
  • so I know you guys have a fascination with Kaep and his turtle, so I thought your resident photoshoppers could have a field day with this photo...

NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:35 am
  • Lockette may not make the team. Oh wait, they have who at WR?
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:04 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Lockette may not make the team. Oh wait, they have who at WR?

They'll save a spot for Crabtree.
    They'll keep A.J. Jenkins due to his draft status.
    They'll keep Quinton Patton due to his draft status.
    They'll keep Manningham and wait for him to be healthy.
    They'll keep Kyle Williams.
    Boldin.

That's 6 right there, 4 of which are clearly better than Lockette (Crabs, Boldin, Manningham, Williams), and two that are recent draft picks.

Lockette seems to be as dumb as a box of rocks, regardless of his physical gifts. He definitely has an uphill battle if he wants to make and STAY on the roster. While Manningham and Williams are out, he better show something, or he'll be released.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:31 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:Kap works out more than everyone in that locker room. Which is saying something. That alone is leadership.

Lol, this might matter if being an NFL quarterback wasn't 80% mental. The dude likes to work out; and it makes sense, considering all the ego-praise he has gotten over the years for being a great athlete and beautiful physical specimen. I'll take Wilson being in the film room all day every day over being in the weight room every day, and twice on Sunday.

How did nobody else pick up on this!? Roland has a crush on Kraperdink. Sorry man, but you put that out there. At least this isn't the shack :th2thumbs:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:10 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:Kap works out more than everyone in that locker room. Which is saying something. That alone is leadership.

What if Kaepernick is also in the film room as much or more than anyone else on the team as well? That is, what if you didn't have to choose between a work out warrior and a film warrior because the player is both?
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:49 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:How did nobody else pick up on this!? Roland has a crush on Kraperdink. Sorry man, but you put that out there. At least this isn't the shack :th2thumbs:

Tongue in cheek, bro. :)

5_Golden_Rings wrote:What if Kaepernick is also in the film room as much or more than anyone else on the team as well? That is, what if you didn't have to choose between a work out warrior and a film warrior because the player is both?

Ok, please show me some articles with 49ers players quotes referencing ridiculous work ethic habits. You know, stuff like these about Wilson, except for Kaepernick:
    http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 8dd24c3e23
    http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/9/2/32 ... work-ethic
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... ell-wilson

Wilson was texting Percy Harvin before the trade was even finalized, making plans to practice in SoCal, and stuff. Just read those articles, then find some ones like that about Kaepernick, please. If he really does have an equal work ethic to Russell Wilson, I want to know about it.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Scotte pointed out/suggested awhile ago that all this "Kap's a hard-worker..." noise feels like a political spin. And, I'm convinced he's right.

The Seahawks dont really talk about Wilson's work and dedication, reporters do. That's not the case in SF...the team and teammates are consistently interjecting Kap's "commitment and leadership" whenever possible. It's a talking point on par with MSNBC or Fox News.

Excellent. Both your post and the Magic man, Don Majkowski.

Not a name thrown around much. Too bad. The guy was an absolute terror and I'll be stoked if RW ultimately becomes his equal.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:25 am
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:Lockette seems to be as dumb as a box of rocks

At least you're being honest with yourself. ;)
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:48 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:How did nobody else pick up on this!? Roland has a crush on Kraperdink. Sorry man, but you put that out there. At least this isn't the shack :th2thumbs:

Tongue in cheek, bro. :)

5_Golden_Rings wrote:What if Kaepernick is also in the film room as much or more than anyone else on the team as well? That is, what if you didn't have to choose between a work out warrior and a film warrior because the player is both?

Ok, please show me some articles with 49ers players quotes referencing ridiculous work ethic habits. You know, stuff like these about Wilson, except for Kaepernick:
    http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 8dd24c3e23
    http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/9/2/32 ... work-ethic
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... ell-wilson

Wilson was texting Percy Harvin before the trade was even finalized, making plans to practice in SoCal, and stuff. Just read those articles, then find some ones like that about Kaepernick, please. If he really does have an equal work ethic to Russell Wilson, I want to know about it.

http://blog.49ers.com/2013/07/03/mt-gor ... ck-praise/
    Frank Gore - “One thing I love about that young guy, he works. He works very hard. Even before he got the starting job he used to be the first one there and one of the last guys out. As long as he keeps learning, working from the coaches and just being him, he’ll be fine.”

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/1/14/3 ... kaepernick
    Patrick Willis - "I'm the type of man I don't like to be outworked, but honestly I get there to the facility and he's outside already warming up."

From the two main faces of the 49ers

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/05/27 ... es-injury/
    Only two weeks after the Super Bowl, Kaep, Lockette, and Jenkins were in Atlanta for two months training and studying.

:roll:
    "We're the 49ers, we can do whatever we want" - The Great Jim Harbaugh -
    Comeinpeace
    NET Rookie

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:26 am
  • Did you even actually read those fully, Comeinpeace? In the Niners Nation one, Willis is specifically talking about him WORKING OUT a lot. Zero in there about anything not related to the physical; all his discussion in there is about how fast Kaepernick is. Well, if we rated QBs on how fast they could run, that might matter. In the sfgate.com one, yes, they played Entourage and lived together; QB plus two receivers. Where's Kaepernick paying to fly a DOZEN teammates to SoCal (or wherever) for off-season workouts like Russell Wilson did? Here, check this pic Tweeted by Sidney Rice: https://twitter.com/sidneyrice/status/3 ... 5208383488

Are you trying to say there isn't a big difference between that and "sure bro come room with me and we'll study"? Not that that isn't a good thing, it is; but there are considerable differences. Not to mention, if Kaepernick's such a "savant" and insanely hard worker, how come he never earned the starting gig over "All Pro" (GALLONS of sarcasm there) Alex Smith? The fact that Harbaugh used Smith's injury as an excuse to make Kaepernick the new long-term starter proves that Harbaugh was just waiting for a reason, and clearly, Kaepernick never provided that reason of his own.

Try harder, dude.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:32 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Did you even actually read those fully, Comeinpeace? In the Niners Nation one, Willis is specifically talking about him WORKING OUT a lot. Zero in there about anything not related to the physical; all his discussion in there is about how fast Kaepernick is. Well, if we rated QBs on how fast they could run, that might matter. In the sfgate.com one, yes, they played Entourage and lived together; QB plus two receivers. Where's Kaepernick paying to fly a DOZEN teammates to SoCal (or wherever) for off-season workouts like Russell Wilson did? Here, check this pic Tweeted by Sidney Rice: https://twitter.com/sidneyrice/status/3 ... 5208383488

Are you trying to say there isn't a big difference between that and "sure bro come room with me and we'll study"? Not that that isn't a good thing, it is; but there are considerable differences. Not to mention, if Kaepernick's such a "savant" and insanely hard worker, how come he never earned the starting gig over "All Pro" (GALLONS of sarcasm there) Alex Smith? The fact that Harbaugh used Smith's injury as an excuse to make Kaepernick the new long-term starter proves that Harbaugh was just waiting for a reason, and clearly, Kaepernick never provided that reason of his own.

Try harder, dude.

I think your trying too hard, dude....and the hate is obvious. I understand you think Russell Wilson is all-world and is the next coming of Jesus himself, but this shtick of yours that no one outworks him and he's the Film Room QB Of The Year takes the cake. Can it be possible that both QBs are great and have strong work ethics and spend countless hours trying to be the best at their respective position? Does it hurt your Hawk pride that much to give them both their just due? Being a fan is one thing but I would hope being divison rivals wouldn't cloud one's judgement when critiquing opposing players. But whatever helps you sleep better at night. If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think CK is a mental midget and is more concerned with his biceps than his mental prep, go right ahead. But when you say things like things he obviously isn't any good because he couldn't beat out Alex Smith as a rookie, well that just proves your football brain isnt as big as you think it is. Its very simple really....

CK was a raw rookie who needed some tutelage and some fundamental work before being ready to lead a team as a starting QB at the professional level. Its one of the reasons he wasn't a first round pick. He had a funky throwing motion and ran a 'gimmick' offense in college that scouts and critics both shunned during the draft process. The same offense your beloved Seahawks and a handful of other teams now incoperate heavily into their gameplans on Sundays. He never took a snap from center in college. He got by on a strong arm and his athletic ability. He was raw as passer. He needed work. Not unusual for a young QB with raw physical tools but lacking polish to sit and learn.

RW ran a pro-style offense his entire college career. He was better prepared to have a bigger impact as rookie than CK. Plus he came to team lacking talent at the position. Say what you will about Alex Smith but he was a couple of botched punts away from leading a underdog offense to a SB. He had proven he could be a capable NFL starter. Matt Flynn...not so much. Different circumstances, different personnel, different teams. I said the day we drafted CK he needed to sit a minimum of 2 years before he would be ready to compete for the starting job. So he actually was ahead of schedule in my eyes, when he was annoited the starter halfway through last season. I also said on this very forum after the 2012 draft that RW was the second best QB behind Luck in the that class and that he was better than Matt Flynn even before he took a single rep as a pro. I love being so right. So I'm not just here in defense of my QB, Im merely staring that talent is talent and I don't discriminate against it, no matter what color the jersey is. They're both dillegent students of the game with titireless work ethic and a drive to be great. That much, should be evident by now, from both fanbases.
    757Niner
    NET Rookie

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:45 pm
  • Question for you. What would you say if Wilson leads Kaepernick by the end of the regular season in TDs, TD-int ratio, completion percentage, and QB rating?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:41 pm
  • The 2nd article you linked said that Wilson shows up at 630 am every morning.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/28/560248 ... fting.html

That one says you can find Kaep's car outside the facility at 5:55 every morning. You asked someone to provide links that proved Kaep had an equal to superior work ethic, and mine proves that his are 35 minutes a day better. As for saying it's all physical, dude we can't possibly know their workout/video schedules. You can't really believe that they spend all their time outside of the film room. Russel's SoCal trip happened in March, Kaep was in ATL with a few WRs 2 weeks after the SB. Does that not show quality work ethic?

As far as what I would say if Wilson leads Kaep in those stats you listed. I would say it would be justified and he earned it, because he is a quality QB with a quality supporting cast around him.

What would you say if I said that Kaepernick didn't have to spend as much time as Russell studying film since he's more intelligent (higher GPA in HS, and a higher Wonderlic score), which enables him to hone his physical skills and build more chemistry with his young receivers. Not saying it's true, but the facts say that it is a possibility. And you are an advocate on facts right? I can provide links of that if needed as well.
    "We're the 49ers, we can do whatever we want" - The Great Jim Harbaugh -
    Comeinpeace
    NET Rookie

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:48 pm
  • 757Niner wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Did you even actually read those fully, Comeinpeace? In the Niners Nation one, Willis is specifically talking about him WORKING OUT a lot. Zero in there about anything not related to the physical; all his discussion in there is about how fast Kaepernick is. Well, if we rated QBs on how fast they could run, that might matter. In the sfgate.com one, yes, they played Entourage and lived together; QB plus two receivers. Where's Kaepernick paying to fly a DOZEN teammates to SoCal (or wherever) for off-season workouts like Russell Wilson did? Here, check this pic Tweeted by Sidney Rice: https://twitter.com/sidneyrice/status/3 ... 5208383488

Try harder, dude.

I think your trying too hard, dude....and the hate is obvious. I understand you think Russell Wilson is all-world and is the next coming of Jesus himself, but this shtick of yours that no one outworks him and he's the Film Room QB Of The Year takes the cake. Can it be possible that both QBs are great and have strong work ethics and spend countless hours trying to be the best at their respective position? Does it hurt your Hawk pride that much to give them both their just due? Being a fan is one thing but I would hope being divison rivals wouldn't cloud one's judgement when critiquing opposing players. But whatever helps you sleep better at night. If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think CK is a mental midget and is more concerned with his biceps than his mental prep, go right ahead. But when you say things like things he obviously isn't any good because he couldn't beat out Alex Smith as a rookie, well that just proves your football brain isnt as big as you think it is. Its very simple really....

CK was a raw rookie who needed some tutelage and some fundamental work before being ready to lead a team as a starting QB at the professional level. Its one of the reasons he wasn't a first round pick. He had a funky throwing motion and ran a 'gimmick' offense in college that scouts and critics both shunned during the draft process. The same offense your beloved Seahawks and a handful of other teams now incoperate heavily into their gameplans on Sundays. He never took a snap from center in college. He got by on a strong arm and his athletic ability. He was raw as passer. He needed work. Not unusual for a young QB with raw physical tools but lacking polish to sit and learn.

RW ran a pro-style offense his entire college career. He was better prepared to have a bigger impact as rookie than CK. Plus he came to team lacking talent at the position. Say what you will about Alex Smith but he was a couple of botched punts away from leading a underdog offense to a SB. He had proven he could be a capable NFL starter. Matt Flynn...not so much. Different circumstances, different personnel, different teams. I said the day we drafted CK he needed to sit a minimum of 2 years before he would be ready to compete for the starting job. So he actually was ahead of schedule in my eyes, when he was annoited the starter halfway through last season. I also said on this very forum after the 2012 draft that RW was the second best QB behind Luck in the that class and that he was better than Matt Flynn even before he took a single rep as a pro. I love being so right. So I'm not just here in defense of my QB, Im merely staring that talent is talent and I don't discriminate against it, no matter what color the jersey is. They're both dillegent students of the game with titireless work ethic and a drive to be great. That much, should be evident by now, from both fanbases.

I hate to say this but that was a hell of a nice post.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:52 pm
  • Are two nerds actually arguing about which QB gets to work earlier?
    Holy shit, let it go.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:50 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:I hate to say this but that was a hell of a nice post.

Overall, yeah. However, he's critically wrong about it being my shtick. I'm just referring to what other people are saying. National writers and such too, not just teammates and local reporters with a vested interest.

Scottemojo wrote:Are two nerds actually arguing about which QB gets to work earlier?
    Holy shit, let it go.

Since when is work ethic not a valid point of discussion about QBs? Now you're sounding like one of those forum members that tells people what they can and cannot discuss. Take it easy.

Comeinpeace wrote:The 2nd article you linked said that Wilson shows up at 630 am every morning.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/28/560248 ... fting.html

That one says you can find Kaep's car outside the facility at 5:55 every morning. You asked someone to provide links that proved Kaep had an equal to superior work ethic, and mine proves that his are 35 minutes a day better.

That article was from July 2012, he had just been drafted 3 months before; just sayin'. When they both leave the facility, on average, also makes just as much of a difference, but I can't find any evidence on that for either of them at the moment. Also, another thing; I pointed out that your own 49ers player was referring to Kaepernick always working out. I didn't say it. Stop mischaracterizing what I'm saying. I also have never said Kaepernick has a bad work ethic or anything like that, you're making some leaps of logic based on your negative feelings towards my comments, I think.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:04 pm
  • Nah, dude, talk about who showed up for work first to your heart's content. I was just a little embarrassed for Seahawks fans, but if that's your thing, go for broke.

And to your opponent in early morning supremacy, 757, why? Do you think we will all fall down at the temple of Kaep because you convinced all he he actually is awesome and not a douchebag? Do you think we will suddenly fear the Niners more when we discover Kaep is so much more than Wilson. and even taller?

BTW, I suspect he HAS to get to work at about 4 AM, because teaching remedial football to Lockette with colors and rape whistles probably eats up about 6 hours of each morning. After all, they are roomies. And BFF's.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:25 pm
  • I'd say anytime someone spouts off 42-13, that's far more embarrassing representation of Seahawks fans; but that's just my opinion.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Next

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information