Straight up beauty!!

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Straight up beauty!!
Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:58 pm

I need to go to a game this season!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Re: Straight up beauty!!
Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 am
  • The angle of that picture makes it look you'll have to buckle into a seat belt during the game because you're going to fall into the field if you don't.

Also, that stadium is still stuck in the '70s. Yeah I said it.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:43 am
  • I got season tickets. I got season tickets. I got season tickets. I got season tickets.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:04 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:The angle of that picture makes it look you'll have to buckle into a seat belt during the game because you're going to fall into the field if you don't.

Your mamma!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:08 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:The angle of that picture makes it look you'll have to buckle into a seat belt during the game because you're going to fall into the field if you don't.

Your mamma...

...Wouldn't be caught dead in that architectural monstrosity.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:13 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:I got season tickets. I got season tickets. I got season tickets. I got season tickets.

I'm sorry. Hopefully you at least mix in some home Seahawk games as well!
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:14 pm
  • Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't the old stadium have one end open enough to see the lake? It looks like this new stadium is totally closed off. That sucks.

Sarlacc83 wrote:Also, that stadium is still stuck in the '70s. Yeah I said it.

The 60s and 70s were not kind to architecture. It took just a few years for that architecture style to look old and dated. I wasn't expecting a new look for Husky Stadium, but had they done so it would have been a pleasant surprise.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:46 pm
  • Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason why stadiums in America usually have minimal or no cover? In England every stadium is built with a roof. Is it just tradition?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:03 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason why stadiums in America usually have minimal or no cover? In England every stadium is built with a roof. Is it just tradition?

Probably cost. But there is also a history behind it.

Early on, when the game was much smaller, it was typical for college playing fields to be little more than excavated bowls in the ground. Over the decades, rather than foot a massive construction bill -- schools would modify the existing architecture.

There is also a traditional expectation of playing the game 'in the elements'. That has endured even as football programs have become big enough revenue producers to be capable of financing a complete rebuild of their stadiums. Although the economic environment today would never support such an undertaking now. Not even at the top public institutions.

I'd say lots of factors have played a part. Tradition may be be a minor aspect of it, but enough to influence it.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:33 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason why stadiums in America usually have minimal or no cover? In England every stadium is built with a roof. Is it just tradition?

That's an easy one, most of the stadium's in America are built for a mans game. In england not so much. :sarcasm_off:
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:35 am

We're just built tougher on this side of the pond. :D
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 am
  • CPHawk wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason why stadiums in America usually have minimal or no cover? In England every stadium is built with a roof. Is it just tradition?

That's an easy one, most of the stadium's in America are built for a mans game. In england not so much. :sarcasm_off:

He walked right into that
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:34 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason why stadiums in America usually have minimal or no cover? In England every stadium is built with a roof. Is it just tradition?

Ahhh that old chestnut...

8)

theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:26 am

HighlandHawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:14 am
  • You forgot to mention Buck Shelford (see my avatar) who lacerated his scrotum mid-game, causing a testicle to 'drop out' as it were, only to go to the sideline, have it sewn back in and, 5 minutes later, carry on with the game.

And as fir soccer, I generally agree with the standard American belief that they are prone to being pansies, but many of the most gruseome sports injuries I have ever seen have been some of the snapped ankles I've seen on the soccer field.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:37 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Image

I need to go to a game this season!

God, that's amazing.
    therealsm
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:26 pm
  • Sweet JV Stadium.

Signed the SEC
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 pm
  • What's the capacity?
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:And as fir soccer, I generally agree with the standard American belief that they are prone to being pansies, but many of the most gruseome sports injuries I have ever seen have been some of the snapped ankles I've seen on the soccer field.

Anyone who thinks football (or as you ridiculously call it, "soccer") is for pansies, hasn't played the game. Or at least hasn't played it outside of the States. The definitive man's game.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:And as fir soccer, I generally agree with the standard American belief that they are prone to being pansies, but many of the most gruseome sports injuries I have ever seen have been some of the snapped ankles I've seen on the soccer field.

Anyone who thinks football (or as you ridiculously call it, "soccer") is for pansies, hasn't played the game. Or at least hasn't played it outside of the States. The definitive man's game.

'Definitive man's game' is hyperbole and completely objective, but I agree with most of your post. Reading mine back I should have written acting like pansies rather than being pansies, because the playacting that often accompanies physical contact, or near physical contact can be laughable and offputting. The fact is though, that you need to be incredibly fit and strong to be any good at soccer (sic - we're on an American 'football' forum with Americans, who call it soccer, so whatever) and that you are always at risk of an often serious leg injury.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:48 am
  • People love to use the word 'hyperbole' on this forum. Nothing hyperbolic about anything I said at all.

I love the Seahawks and the NFL as much as the next man, but the fact is football is football. It's one of the greatest miscarriages in world justice that Americans have decided to rob such a glorious sport of it's name and replace it with the decidedly wanky "soccer" (now THAT is hyperbole).

And it's not about being fit and strong per se for me. You've got to be ready to dish it out, big time. They might not be hitting each other from all angles in full pads, but you get beaten up playing football. It's intense. It's aggressive. And it's a million miles away from the perception of some continental with lovely hair performing a perfect 9.5 dive at the slightest contact. I've never played any other sport where someone has threatened to remove my spine.... and I actually think he meant it.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:12 am
  • My use of 'hyperbole' was 100% accurate (depending on your opinion of your statement), but other than that, you get no argument from me.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:38 am
  • We'll agree to disagree then on the use or definition of 'hyperbole'. It seems to me if you don't agree with someone on this forum you just roll out that particular word.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:00 am
  • The old stadium. It's the best one I could find on photobucket with the view of the open end.

The estimated capacity remains 70,000. That's less than the official capacity of 72,500 in the old Husky Stadium, but Woodward said that total included obstructed view seats that the school didn't often sell.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:17 am
  • Stoned Cold wrote:Sweet JV Stadium.

Signed the SEC

MYTHICAL national championships because there's been no playoffs while your conference teams almost never leave their geographical area and are afforded the opportunity to play for said "championship" with one loss when no other conference's teams get to do so. Looking forward to strength of schedule mattering and an actual prove it on the field playoff.

Signed, the rest of the country
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 am
  • Stoned Cold wrote:Sweet JV Stadium.

Signed the SEC

Well, if you're not going to spend your money on hygiene, welfare, or anything useful, I guess it might as well go to a football stadium.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:51 pm
  • I love it when you kids whine. Bottom line is your stadium is in the lower 3rd by SEC standards. The political bitching may ensue with wannabe hawksfansinceday1 and Sarlacc83 all they want. Talk about the culture and injustices of 7 straight national championships all you want. The bottom line is football is better in the south east, cost of living is cheaper, and the weather is better. Enjoy your JV football back there in the Pac-12.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 pm
  • Weather's better if you love 90+ degrees with 90% humidity. Ever been to SoCal dude? That's where the best weather in the USA is (outside of Hawaii), hands down.

Your vaunted SEC will win a couple over the first 7 years of the playoff system but so will another conference. Hope you're here to talk about it 8 years from now. I will be.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Weather's better if you love 90+ degrees with 90% humidity. Ever been to SoCal dude? That's where the best weather in the USA is (outside of Hawaii), hands down.

Your vaunted SEC will win a couple over the first 7 years of the playoff system but so will another conference. Hope you're here to talk about it 8 years from now. I will be.

Thats 3 months Maybe of the year. Late June to mid September. I love wearing flip flops and shorts in Novemeber and December. I can't wait to see you bitch when 2 SEC teams make the final 4.

Edit: I've been to San Diego (year around) and Bakersfield in the summer and Bakersfield sucks, San Diego and Hawaii is the best weather in the United States year around. Too bad no Pac-12 teams play in San Diego or Hawaii. Try again.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:08 pm
  • LA is the same weather as SD and 2 teams play there. You can wear flips and Ts in Nov. & Dec. there as well. Plus there is no time of the year with 90 and 90 like there is in the South. Try again.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:13 pm
  • Dude its 85 degrees here and feels like 93 with the heat index. Its not so bad if you're used to it. Plus it feels 70/60+ almost year around. Until you've been to New Orleans this time of year you have no clue. When I go out Friday, and its 80 degrees at 10, 11, 2 am I will be happy.

Edit: I have to say its comical talking weather with a guy who has a cartoon about Portland and the Pacific Northwest weather as his signature. It's the Pacific Northwest dude. I lived there for 30 years. All around. I know what its like. You will never convince me of anything different than what I lived threw over there. Some people back in the Pacific Northwest are so defensive. You signed up for that life, enjoy the 8 months of the year it rains, own it. I've been there and done that. I know exactly how it is.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:02 pm
  • What I love is that the SEC schools all live off the glory of a few others.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:43 pm
  • I love how SEC fans troll non SEC topics just to gloat about their superiority. As an avid football watcher, I will say that the SEC is the best conference and has deserved every national championship they've won. It remains silly to me how arrogant about their football superiority when it often comes at the loss of the academic integrity of the school. But, academics doesn't really matter down there does it? I love watching the SEC, but fans of the SEC? Not so much.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:52 pm
  • Where is the Apple Cup played?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:I love how SEC fans troll non SEC topics just to gloat about their superiority. As an avid football watcher, I will say that the SEC is the best conference and has deserved every national championship they've won. It remains silly to me how arrogant about their football superiority when it often comes at the loss of the academic integrity of the school. But, academics doesn't really matter down there does it? I love watching the SEC, but fans of the SEC? Not so much.

Hey, if it makes you feel better at night that your kids are actually "student athletes", and yes I put that in quotes for a reason. More power too you. I'm 36, been around the NFL and NCAA for a long time.

BREAKING NEWS: 80%+ I would say are idiots. Dumb as shit, been passed along. Worst role models ever. Don't actually attend class or take their own tests/turn in their own papers.

MY ADVICE: watch for entertainment.

Quit watching these guys as people that you care about and think are educated. As people that you care what they say. They are morons. More often then not you are listening to someone who is educated as much as a homeless person and if you listen to someone who is dumber than you....

In fact, your opinion of the SEC education makes me laugh at how disconnected you are from just about every major conference in college football. Unless you are Ivy League, Independent, or Military College level; I have no faith in your "SUPERIORITY" in academics.
    Last edited by Stoned Cold on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:39 am
  • Stoned Cold wrote:Dude its 85 degrees here and feels like 93 with the heat index. Its not so bad if you're used to it. Plus it feels 70/60+ almost year around. Until you've been to New Orleans this time of year you have no clue. When I go out Friday, and its 80 degrees at 10, 11, 2 am I will be happy.

Edit: I have to say its comical talking weather with a guy who has a cartoon about Portland and the Pacific Northwest weather as his signature. It's the Pacific Northwest dude. I lived there for 30 years. All around. I know what its like. You will never convince me of anything different than what I lived threw over there. Some people back in the Pacific Northwest are so defensive. You signed up for that life, enjoy the 8 months of the year it rains, own it. I've been there and done that. I know exactly how it is.

I lived in the San Diego area for 13 years. There is no weather in the continental USA as good as SD county, LA county and Orange county.
    And I hate the weather up here except July 5th through the 3rd week in October.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 am
  • kearly wrote:Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't the old stadium have one end open enough to see the lake? It looks like this new stadium is totally closed off. That sucks.

From where this picture is taken, the water is directly to the left of the photographer. Anyone in the second decks will still gave the greatest view in all of the college football. Now, when I turn my attention away from the water and back to the field, the view of what's happening there still is up in the air.
    drrew
    NET Starter

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:06 am
  • ivotuk wrote:Where is the Apple Cup played?

Seattle I think, I'm probably wrong.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:26 pm
  • Stoned Cold wrote: The bottom line is football is better in the south east, cost of living is cheaper, and the weather is better.

I lived in Orlando for a year and there is no way in hell you could get me to move back down that way! That humidity it disgusting. I would rather move back up to the NE with the evil winters up there. Now if I could just get my wife to let me move back to the SW I would be in heaven. I loved the weather down AZ.
    DonovanJM
    NET Rookie

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:57 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Where is the Apple Cup played?

It alternates each year from Pullman to Seattle. This year it will be in Seattle on 11/29 at 12:30.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:48 am

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:46 pm
  • Stoned Cold wrote:
    seahawk2k wrote:I love how SEC fans troll non SEC topics just to gloat about their superiority. As an avid football watcher, I will say that the SEC is the best conference and has deserved every national championship they've won. It remains silly to me how arrogant about their football superiority when it often comes at the loss of the academic integrity of the school. But, academics doesn't really matter down there does it? I love watching the SEC, but fans of the SEC? Not so much.

Hey, if it makes you feel better at night that your kids are actually "student athletes", and yes I put that in quotes for a reason. More power too you. I'm 36, been around the NFL and NCAA for a long time.

BREAKING NEWS: 80%+ I would say are idiots. Dumb as shit, been passed along. Worst role models ever. Don't actually attend class or take their own tests/turn in their own papers.

MY ADVICE: watch for entertainment.

Quit watching these guys as people that you care about and think are educated. As people that you care what they say. They are morons. More often then not you are listening to someone who is educated as much as a homeless person and if you listen to someone who is dumber than you....

In fact, your opinion of the SEC education makes me laugh at how disconnected you are from just about every major conference in college football. Unless you are Ivy League, Independent, or Military College level; I have no faith in your "SUPERIORITY" in academics.

I do watch for entertainment. I find that by and large, academics in college football is in fact a joke, but the truth is, its hilarious and pretty sad how the SEC practically sticks their chest out about the fact that as bad as the rest of academics in football is, they have been for quite some time, significantly worse. Dream big!

I am quite familiar that some of the athletes(80%?? Only in the SEC) are illiterate fools. I went to a WSU when they owned the JC circuit for recruits and actually fielded a talented and pretty good team. There were idiots and there were smart kids. Your delineation of the ratio is, in my opinion, inaccurate.

Considering 95% of college football players even get a sniff of the pro game, I do actually think its mildly relevant that they have something to fall back on, you don't. Difference of opinion.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:23 pm
  • You guys can have your little stadium redo. At the end of the day its just a place to watch a football game just like every other school in the country has. But check out the new Oregon football ops center. Coaches office, locker room, player lounge, meeting area's, weight rooms, etc, etc. My guess is that the inside and all the amenities will make the Seahawks V-Mac center look like a little league locker room. Set to open in another month or two:

JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:24 pm
  • That Phil Knight money
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:27 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:That Phil Knight money

Fo'sho.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:26 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:That Phil Knight money

Fo'sho.

Damn - does Phil just build whatever he wants or does he have to donate to the school and then they handle all the plans and bids?
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:01 am
  • ClumsyLurk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:That Phil Knight money

Fo'sho.

Damn - does Phil just build whatever he wants or does he have to donate to the school and then they handle all the plans and bids?

Depends on the project, but I think this was all him.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 pm
  • Looks a little better than the football opps building going up in Pullman that they are squeezing between the practice fields and the stadium. Anytime you can reduce the capacity of already the smallest stadium in the conference, you have to jump on it.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:I do watch for entertainment. I find that by and large, academics in college football is in fact a joke, but the truth is, its hilarious and pretty sad how the SEC practically sticks their chest out about the fact that as bad as the rest of academics in football is, they have been for quite some time, significantly worse. Dream big!

I am quite familiar that some of the athletes(80%?? Only in the SEC) are illiterate fools. I went to a WSU when they owned the JC circuit for recruits and actually fielded a talented and pretty good team. There were idiots and there were smart kids. Your delineation of the ratio is, in my opinion, inaccurate.

Considering 95% of college football players even get a sniff of the pro game, I do actually think its mildly relevant that they have something to fall back on, you don't. Difference of opinion.

I didn't say illiterate. I said morons. And yes, 80%..maybe slightly less are morons. My bro was a Pi Kappa Alpha at Wazzu, and I hung around and partied with all the dumb ass football players over in Pullman. Don't try and tell me what I don't know. Hey, if you want to plead some kind of superiority of academics in Pullman be my guest. Pullman accepts anybody. They fit in just fine by SEC standards. Now if you were Stanford, UCLA, UW or Berkley...I might back off but Wazzu hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hit the bricks jabroni
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:31 am
  • jabroni? Is it 1999?

I think you are painting in broad strokes here.

I wasn't holding WSU up as an high end academic institution, I was speaking of it as a standard Pac 12 university. But its fun to change my point to fit your argument isn't it? Can you read? Put down your Keystone Light, hop back in your insult time machine and watch some Reading Rainbow until you understand what I actually was saying.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information