Matthew Stafford gets 3-year $53 million extension

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Worth $53 million, $43 MILLION GUARANTEED.

In my opinion, the guy is getting overpaid. Without Megatron giving him about 50% of his total yardage, he's a very mediocore quarterback.

What do you guys think?
    How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they will all show and talk about how good the old one was...
    hawker232
    NET Rookie

• Surprised he signed for so little and short term at that. Interesting.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• I don't like that big of a percentage of guaranteed money.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• hawker232 wrote:Worth $53 million, $43 MILLION GUARANTEED.

In my opinion, the guy is getting overpaid. Without Megatron giving him about 50% of his total yardage, he's a very mediocore quarterback.

What do you guys think?

4-12 is just so atrocious. If Lions fans are correct and Mathew Stafford is a top QB, and Megatron is pretty clearly the best WR...that record isn't justified, no matter what else goes wrong with the defense. In any case, I doubt they find a better qb any time soon - so sure, why not.

Still can't believe we lost to them.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

• Could be worse. Could be like Dallas and Romo's contract. Now that was ridiculous.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• KK84 wrote:Could be worse. Could be like Dallas and Romo's contract. Now that was ridiculous.

Romo has a far lower percentage of guaranteed money, and the per-year overall average is only slightly higher than Stafford's.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I'd say the same thing about this as the Flacco extension. They overpaid, but seriously, what was the alternative? Let him walk and start back at square one?

We are so unbelievably lucky. Our team doesn't have to pay Wilson for another 3 years, and when they do- and he gets a $20+ million a year deal- nobody will even think to complain about it.

Also, I don't know how good Stafford was last season, but I do know that he kicked our butts. Football Outsiders rated him much higher than most would expect, too.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I bet our front office gets Wilson to accept a bit less money than other QBs of his caliber and statistical prowess when the time comes for us to re-sign him.

Just a hunch. Regardless of what he gets paid, he'll be worth it.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Going from AJ Green to Megatron... and getting paid along the way... tough life.

This contract does present an interesting baseline for both the Seahawks and Niners. I think both teams will look to get extensions as soon as possible.
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

• That's a large chunk of change for a pretty inconsistent QB.

I only watched a handful of Lions games last year, but it seems week to week, let a lone one half to the next, you don't know what Stafford you're going to get. There are stretches where he's in rhythm and can't miss, then there are stretches where he looks like he just gets way too comfortable and slings the ball without a care.

As Kearly said, what's their alternative? They can't use the best WR in the game without a decent QB... If they don't spend money on Stafford, they run the risk of Megatron having a year like Fitz did with no QB's in AZ.

Lions would have had a decent deal if they didn't guarantee 81% of the total figure...
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Stafford is a good QB, not mediocre. The guaranteed money is really high though. Detroit needs to secure that OLine to keep Matt off his butt IMO.
    And I still can't believe we lost to them either and got tore up by Titus Young....Ugh...
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• Stafford can ball, and that's the kind of money that's required for a franchise QB. Especially one of the million dollar babies of the pre-lockout drafts.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• hawker232 wrote:Worth $53 million, $43 MILLION GUARANTEED.

What do you guys think?

Did you know Stafford is 1-23 against winning teams?

Yep, last year's Seattle win is his ONLY one. Depressing, no?
    formido
    NET Starter

• formido wrote:
    hawker232 wrote:Worth $53 million, $43 MILLION GUARANTEED.

What do you guys think?

We're Seahawks fans. We feast on lame-ass stats like that.

:(
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• formido wrote:

What do you guys think?

We're Seahawks fans. We feast on lame-ass stats like that.

:(

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• formido wrote:

What do you guys think?

Wow, I had no idea this was true...

I retract my statement about the Lions perhaps getting a decent deal...
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• formido wrote:Did you know Stafford is 1-23 against winning teams?

This is a mind-blowing stat. Wow.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• kearly wrote:I'd say the same thing about this as the Flacco extension. They overpaid, but seriously, what was the alternative? Let him walk and start back at square one?

We are so unbelievably lucky. Our team doesn't have to pay Wilson for another 3 years, and when they do- and he gets a $20+ million a year deal- nobody will even think to complain about it.

Also, I don't know how good Stafford was last season, but I do know that he kicked our butts. Football Outsiders rated him much higher than most would expect, too.

You guys got 2 years tell you need to resign him if you wait tell 3 years from now that would be a mistake. If his year was not a fluke(I really think he was not) You can be looking at 30 Mil a year (New TV Money Huge jump in Salary Cap).

Before anyone says he will take a discount tell he proves other wise he wont. Lets not forget he already complained about his contract this year. If you want him to "take a discount" You have 2 years like the 49ers(I Pray do) sign Keap at the end of this year and divide up the money giving him the same amount of money but being added to next year. Lets say they give him Flacco's contracts 5 years 110 Million extension you make the contract start in the 14 season so his contract becomes 6 years 112 Million or 18.6 Million on the cap. You can even try to negotiate with him 6 years 110 tell him he can help himself out long term by making it so they can sign him help for taking less plus he gets payed a year early. Then you get 16 Million per.

Now if you wait 3 years you can slap the tag on him twice each time his contract will be like 25 million then 30 million then he is an URFA in year 5 where you can lose your QB or pay him what ever he wants. Btw you will if you don't he will have 30 other teams offering it to him.
    kira
    NET Bench Warmer

• kira wrote:
    kearly wrote:I'd say the same thing about this as the Flacco extension. They overpaid, but seriously, what was the alternative? Let him walk and start back at square one?

You guys got 2 years tell you need to resign him if you wait tell 3 years from now that would be a mistake. If his year was not a fluke(I really think he was not) You can be looking at 30 Mil a year (New TV Money Huge jump in Salary Cap).

Before anyone says he will take a discount tell he proves other wise he wont. Lets not forget he already complained about his contract this year. If you want him to "take a discount" You have 2 years like the 49ers(I Pray do) sign Keap at the end of this year and divide up the money giving him the same amount of money but being added to next year. Lets say they give him Flacco's contracts 5 years 110 Million extension you make the contract start in the 14 season so his contract becomes 6 years 112 Million or 18.6 Million on the cap. You can even try to negotiate with him 6 years 110 tell him he can help himself out long term by making it so they can sign him help for taking less plus he gets payed a year early. Then you get 16 Million per.

Now if you wait 3 years you can slap the tag on him twice each time his contract will be like 25 million then 30 million then he is an URFA in year 5 where you can lose your QB or pay him what ever he wants. Btw you will if you don't he will have 30 other teams offering it to him.

You need to read the new CBA. Neither Wilson nor the team can re-negotiate for 3 years. Period. Rookies must play three seasons before they can redo their contracts.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    kira wrote:
    kearly wrote:I'd say the same thing about this as the Flacco extension. They overpaid, but seriously, what was the alternative? Let him walk and start back at square one?

You need to read the new CBA. Neither Wilson nor the team can re-negotiate for 3 years. Period. Rookies must play three seasons before they can redo their contracts.

so Wilson did not play last year? or do you have another QB named Wilson we don't know about?
    kira
    NET Bench Warmer

• I may be wrong about the exact number of years (shit happens :229031_shrug: ), but I know we can't talk to him now.

Somehow, I think Pete & John will be all over this. Arguing about it now is somewhere between making mountains out of mole hills and tilting at windmills. I just want to see more magic out of Wilson. :)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• what happens in 2 years you know will effect you huge next year...
    The players you guys drafted in 2011 that you will need to start talking to soon
    Carpenter (LG)
    KJ Wright (SLB)
    Corner: Richard Sherman
    Plus some of the FA's you will have at the end of this year. You don't think Wilsons Extension is going to be on the mind of your FO when they talk to FA's and these players the big one being Richard Sherman. Yes it is time to start to worry about Wilson....
    kira
    NET Bench Warmer

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information