Love Direct TV!

PrincessHawk

Reaction score
So, I am in Cali for the next 2 seasons...hubby is military. But....since we are in 49ers and Chargers ... and Raiders ... territory...my best-husband-ever got all the extended packages for sports so I can have my Hawks! Plus he's trying to get tickets to the game we come down here for against the 49ers! He did say that he's not sure if I'm allowed to watch the games in public though....apparently he thinks I will get arrested....LOL!!!! He's probably right although it's not gonna stop me!

GO HAWKS!

ivotuk

Reaction score
I can relate, living in Alaska it's the only way I can see my Hawks every week :th2thumbs:

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
After this season there will be a huge bidding war between networks for the NFL Ticket , many say that DirecTV will lose.

I cant see that happening because for the past 10 years the only reason why I had DirecTV was because of the NFL ticket.

Subzero717

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":34blysal said:
After this season there will be a huge bidding war between networks for the NFL Ticket , many say that DirecTV will lose.

I cant see that happening because for the past 10 years the only reason why I had DirecTV was because of the NFL ticket.

Direct is far and a way the best pay service out there. Have Comcast for a week. You'll see what I'm saying.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
PrincessHawk":1cju4248 said:
So, I am in Cali for the next 2 seasons...hubby is military. But....since we are in 49ers and Chargers ... and Raiders ... territory...my best-husband-ever got all the extended packages for sports so I can have my Hawks! Plus he's trying to get tickets to the game we come down here for against the 49ers! He did say that he's not sure if I'm allowed to watch the games in public though....apparently he thinks I will get arrested....LOL!!!! He's probably right although it's not gonna stop me!

GO HAWKS!

Make sure you call American Family and pick up some 49ers stab insurance. It'll cost you, but your husband will thank you when he sees the lack of medical bills from your subsequent hospital stay.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I've had DIRECTV w/ Sunday Ticket for the last 10 years. It's awesome! They are a HUGE reason why the NFL brass is so worried about trying to draw fans to the live game, when more and more people are opting for the high quality experience at home.

With the ridiculous costs of tickets these days, excessive gouging with parking, concessions, souvenirs, the pain in the ass parking, traffic, crowds, and drunken idiots that ruin a lot of gameday experiences for people -- it's getting more and more appealing to stay in the comfort of your own home, being able to watch every game every week in high definition and surround sound, not have to worry about parking or driving after partaking, etc.

Of course, there is still nothing that compares with the live game experience - especially at C Link! But if I was a Browns, Raiders or Jaguars fan ... I wouldn't even waste my time going to games, lol.

Greenhell

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":2vthvvrd said:

THIS^

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If the NFL offers up exclusivity for NFL Sunday Ticket again after this DirecTV contract is over, I'm going to be really pissed. People outside the U.S. can just buy it online and stream all the games live in HD from the NFL website, it should be freaking illegal that Americans aren't allowed to.

I might even setup a "DTex special" and pay for a decent VPN service based outside the U.S. so I can buy Sunday Ticket on NFL.com, then stream the games and rebroadcast them for people to watch from my connection for free. If you won't offer me what you offer people in 3rd-world countries all over Earth, then I'll take it by virtual force!

Subzero717

Reaction score
Greenhell":2374i1fo said:
EastCoastHawksFan":2374i1fo said:

THIS^

How is someone like Comcast to win when they aren't in every market? That's the appeal of satellite.

Also why does Direct continually drop the price for something so popular?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I live in the home market for the Hawks but I still get Sunday Ticket because of the rest of the games. I had season tickets for many years in the 80's but my schedule kept me away from home many weekends and I usually gave the tickets away or they went unused. Now that I am retired and can watch football at will I want to see the rest of the league. So I watch every game I can using Sunday Ticket. Going to the games, while a great thing, would prevent me watching some the other games. Besides my smoked chicken, pork or beef is way cheaper, and some would say better, than anything you can get at the Clink.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I just got DirectTV and hated it at first, but I'm learning to love it. Can't wait to unlock the joy that is Sunday Ticket once the season starts.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Direct TV paid around 1 Billion to have the NFL Sunday ticket for the past contract with the NFL. There was a hearing about 5 years ago where they had a cable representative, Direct TV and a 3rd party in front of a congressional hearing. What I got out of it was there is some sort of conflict of interest with the NFL and Direct TV going on.

Both Comcast and Time warner put bids in to the NFL the last time Direct TV's contract was up and they were told no without the NFL even looking at them and that was brought up. I work for Time warner cable and would love to have the Package. But we finally got the NFL channel and the Redzone so I get to see alot of the good parts of the games. ESP last year when the hawks were in the redzone like every 5 mins at the end of the year...

Wish they would allow everyone to have it then people like me who get free cable wont have to pay Direct TV to watch full games.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
HawkinNY":iuk492ez said:
Direct TV paid around 1 Billion to have the NFL Sunday ticket for the past contract with the NFL. There was a hearing about 5 years ago where they had a cable representative, Direct TV and a 3rd party in front of a congressional hearing. What I got out of it was there is some sort of conflict of interest with the NFL and Direct TV going on.

Both Comcast and Time warner put bids in to the NFL the last time Direct TV's contract was up and they were told no without the NFL even looking at them and that was brought up. I work for Time warner cable and would love to have the Package. But we finally got the NFL channel and the Redzone so I get to see alot of the good parts of the games. ESP last year when the hawks were in the redzone like every 5 mins at the end of the year...

Wish they would allow everyone to have it then people like me who get free cable wont have to pay Direct TV to watch full games.
^THIS^
Why exclude people/create a monopoly on something like this? Make your product available to EVERYONE in EVERY possible way! I also hate the fact that you HAVE to have Verizon Mobile to view NFL Network on your phone. I will NOT give in to that!

Happy for you though PrincessHawk! :th2thumbs:

Cartire

Reaction score
I really dont understand the exclusitivity. I hated it when it happened. Im fine with paying premium price for packages like nfl ticket. But allow all major carriers a chance to sale the package. Not just Direct TV. You would think that more carriers = more nfl ticket sales = more money for the nfl.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I'm talking out of my arse but I tjink its because the NFL wants to sell "the package" and let someone else worry about it. They have their billion. Plus if all carriers have it, the value kind of goes down. A lot of people that have Direct have it just for the Ticket. Those that live in apts. where they are clearly getting a kick from Comcast and don't allow Direct are forced to go to bars that carry it.

Cartire

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3ho0gwg3 said:
I'm talking out of my arse but I tjink its because the NFL wants to sell "the package" and let someone else worry about it. They have their billion. Plus if all carriers have it, the value kind of goes down. A lot of people that have Direct have it just for the Ticket. Those that live in apts. where they are clearly getting a kick from Comcast and don't allow Direct are forced to go to bars that carry it.

Pretty sure the billion was entirely for exclusivity rights. The NFL still gets a percentage of every ticket. And before the direct tv deal, you were still paying about the same amount (adjusted for 10 years ago) with comcast to have the nfl package (I dont think it was called nfl ticket then, but i cant remember).

So what I believe it really comes down to is the NFL analysts gauging if the loss of packages from exclusivity, is less then an extra billion dollars over ten years. They went with it was.

I hope this time they get more data and come to the conclusion that they can get way more sales to justify not getting a billion more dollars right off the bat. But who knows.

OP
OP
PrincessHawk

PrincessHawk

Reaction score
First Reply:
--Make sure you call American Family and pick up some 49ers stab insurance. It'll cost you, but your husband will thank you when he sees the lack of medical bills from your subsequent hospital stay.
--We are military so it's free hospital stays! LOL!

Second Reply:
--We had Comcast when we were in WA and I actually really like them. They just didn't provide service down here where we are now. And except for Dish (who I hate more than words can say...) our only option was Direct TV. Who really isn't that bad plus I get all the games! LOL! So that worked out. On the same note, Verizon (who I also hate) was the only available internet/home phone carrier available.

Just a few of the hazards of living on a base named Point Mugu! --That and the noise from jets ... we live like 6 blocks from the flight line. LOL!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":18gl6cci said:

Please happen. Though I did sign up for Redzone this year. Next best thing when you don't have DirectTV.

mikeak

Reaction score
BlueTalons":2aopq6sx said:
HawkinNY":2aopq6sx said:

^THIS^
Why exclude people/create a monopoly on something like this? Make your product available to EVERYONE in EVERY possible way! I also hate the fact that you HAVE to have Verizon Mobile to view NFL Network on your phone. I will NOT give in to that!

Happy for you though PrincessHawk! :th2thumbs:

Why?
1) Because it eliminates having to negotiate with every single cable provider etc to try to squezze out every dollar everywhere. Now you just go to one and they offer it across the country done
2) The option would be to sell it to networks but they are already tied up with local games and want that for local advertisement money. Now all four networks are involved in the games somehow so there isn't really an interest to overpay by the networks unless someone decides that hey there is more value and I can show games across multiple stations all at once (probably not happening)

I think it stays on Directv but if it goes cable then I simply think it becomes available to all. I don't see any way they stay exclusive and go away from Directv - the options just aren't there