Really the worst call in nfl history?

nsport

Reaction score
I get the sense that some of the old-timers and daily readers are a bit frustrated that this came up again... This may be an old topic, but I'm all in favor of allowing people to vent their spleens again. This was a really big call for the Seahawks in general - and important to the franchise (I realize this is a debatable point - but the reality is that RW might not have been a continued lock at starter had this game been lost). Lots of reasons to earmark this as a pivotal game in franchise history. The legend of RW and the mystique of MNF continued for the Seahawks.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
It is probably one of the worst, but definitely not the worst. Some horrific calls that changed the outcomes of playoff games would be more horrific than the fail mary.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It was a bad call and we were on the right side of it for a change, but the hilarious thing behind all this is it didn't change a damn thing. We were locked into the 5 seed.. the Packers had a shot at the bye and blew it.

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp for so many people.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I'll take a page from the NFL's response after SBXL, it had "elements" of a TD. Therefor it was a justified call. :)

SeaWolv

Reaction score

SeaWolv

Reaction score
kobebryant":2hcw9zya said:
Even as a Hawks fan if I am being objective it was an awful call.
But I don't blame that on the refs - those men were in way over their heads and way under qualified. It was the NFL's fault for letting the Ref dispute get to that point and it shouldn't have a taken a catastrophe to get the regular refs back.

Plus, I was at that game and it made for a great ending and 'victory' for the good guys. Though I wish people would stop saying that game got the Hawks in the playoffs (they held the tiebreaker over both the Bears and Vikes).

Sorry guys but you're wrong here. This was textbook simultaneous possession. Don't get hung up on the PI. That has happened tons of times and if you look at the end of this article it gives you examples of other end of game instances where PI in the endzone was not called.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... git/17706/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1o4tnxim said:
I'll take a page from the NFL's response after SBXL, it had "elements" of a TD. Therefor it was a justified call. :)
Thanks Mike Pereira! ;)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SeaWolv":1e7zutyl said:
kobebryant":1e7zutyl said:
Even as a Hawks fan if I am being objective it was an awful call.
But I don't blame that on the refs - those men were in way over their heads and way under qualified. It was the NFL's fault for letting the Ref dispute get to that point and it shouldn't have a taken a catastrophe to get the regular refs back.

Plus, I was at that game and it made for a great ending and 'victory' for the good guys. Though I wish people would stop saying that game got the Hawks in the playoffs (they held the tiebreaker over both the Bears and Vikes).

Sorry guys but you're wrong here. This was textbook simultaneous possession. Don't get hung up on the PI. That has happened tons of times and if you look at the end of this article it gives you examples of other end of game instances where PI in the endzone was not called.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... git/17706/
Exactly. Folks and many in the media need to read the "rules of possession" and the simultaneous possession rule. It was the RIGHT call, the call that was missed was the offensive PI on Tate, that is what the wailing and crying should have been over!