Really the worst call in nfl history?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1h3a1ee7 said:
The Testeverde touchdown, back in the day.

For some strange reason, that one just won't go away for me...

That was beyond bad. And it happened again with Roethlisberger's b.s. TD in the Super Bowl, when the ball wasn't even close to the goal line.

hawker84

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":124q1au8 said:
The Testeverde touchdown, back in the day.

For some strange reason, that one just won't go away for me...

As it shouldn't, that one sticks in my craw as well..

Safe to say this homer is not a seahawk fan... moving on.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seeker":17mfwn7v said:
bubbrubb":17mfwn7v said:
nsport":17mfwn7v said:
The whole replacement refs thing is so out of proportion it isn't even funny. So many bad calls are made by the "expert refs" - but people were looking for scapegoats. There were an unusual amount of bad calls in that game and many others. But I'd go out on a limb and say that the frequency of bad calls was not much more than in any other normal NFL game. It was exacerbated because the replacement refs were much slower than the regulars when making tough calls. That being said, I'm on record as saying that the catch was a catch - but obviously that play never should have happened based on the last few possessions of that game. Lots of drive-extending calls and non-calls that should have kept that game in Seattle's favor. You gotta hand it to Seattle for making plays to win that game - no matter if you are a fan of replacement refs or Green Bay. Good teams put themselves in a position to win - both Green Bay and Seattle did that. Seahawks came out on top.

Uh.....no....the replacements were pretty bad. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but real ref dont make conflicting calls at a crucial point in the game....They'll discuss first. Look at it objectively and i think its fair to say it was one of the worst calls in history.

Did it cost a superbowl? NO
Did it cost GB the playoffs? NO
Was it clear and indisputable? NO
Do NFL referees make similar calls? YES in fact the real refs came in and made a similar call weeks later and no one said a word.
if you look at it objectively the seahawks were used as sacrificial lambs for the sports media to bring back the refs. replacement refs were a problem because they jeopardized gambling for the NFL.

Wow, that is actually a very cogent point. Never thought about it from that angle, but the sacrificial lambs part makes total sense. We're a team that doesn't tend to get national media attention, hasn't always been a perrenial contender, and doesn't have a powerful, nationwide fanbase (at least in large numbers....not discounting our Hawks brethren across the country). If you're going to throw someone under the bus, it would be that "insignificant team".

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think the Testeverde helmet TD is much worse. How the heck can you confuse a white helmet for a brown football?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Why is it that in a 4-th quarter, end of game, redzone cameras on, etc., a play is only shown from one angle, repeatedly, over and over again? Any other end of game play would be shown ten ways to Sunday. Why's that?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I love all the comments after the article.

Seeing another fan base soooo angry, instead of us is very refreshing.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
In an offseason full of arrests and murders lets take time to write a blog article criticizing a charity event.

Seriously? I mean really did that just happen?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Hawknballs":xxdkgjj1 said:
In an offseason full of arrests and murders lets take time to write a blog article criticizing a charity event.

Yea, hadn't thought about that. Pretty lame.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Stopped reading when I saw the writer talk about the regular officials being on strike. They weren't. It was an owner lockout.

Once more, a blogger pretending to be a reporter makes blogger mistakes.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
if it's a charity event, anything short of having charles manson in a cage at the gate applying fingerpainted ketchup swastikas to children's heads should really be above reproach.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Technically, the call was correct. If the refs didn't throw a flag for offensive pass interference, then PI cannot be called retroactively. So the refs had to base the call (review) without PI, and in that case, both players go up with it and come down with it.

It's just a tough call period. If the ref throws a PI, then he gets lampooned for not letting them play, and if he doesn't, they're stuck with the result...

From the Niners' point of view, it turned out to be pivotal as it gave us a 1/2 game lead over the Packers... If the Pack had won that game, then our tie with STL would actually have mattered.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NinerBuff":3nr5jsp5 said:
Technically, the call was correct. If the refs didn't throw a flag for offensive pass interference, then PI cannot be called retroactively. So the refs had to base the call (review) without PI, and in that case, both players go up with it and come down with it.

It's just a tough call period. If the ref throws a PI, then he gets lampooned for not letting them play, and if he doesn't, they're stuck with the result...

From the Niners' point of view, it turned out to be pivotal as it gave us a 1/2 game lead over the Packers... If the Pack had won that game, then our tie with STL would actually have mattered.
I still hang all the responsibility on the Packers for choking against the Vikes in week 17. They gave away home field in the final week.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm sort of glad this game helped show that aaron rodgers is sort of a big baby.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NinerBuff":3c1g0a6e said:

It was a tough call, for any ref. As you stated, once the PI flag wasn't thrown, it was academic. Now, even as a Seahawks fan, I could have lived if they called PI on that. It wasn't even subtle, it was flat out a push off.

The same crew called PI on Kamtrack for nothing, absolutely nothing, which as we know extended a drive that gave GB the lead anyways. So, in a sense, justice was done.

I actually like GB fans and understand their pain, but those that were calling for a payback game were just smoking rocks. If that game were Wilson's 13th and not Wilson's 3rd, that game would have been a total blowout. Not even close.

CK spotted GB 7 points and still had a field day against that team.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Even as a Hawks fan if I am being objective it was an awful call.
But I don't blame that on the refs - those men were in way over their heads and way under qualified. It was the NFL's fault for letting the Ref dispute get to that point and it shouldn't have a taken a catastrophe to get the regular refs back.

Plus, I was at that game and it made for a great ending and 'victory' for the good guys. Though I wish people would stop saying that game got the Hawks in the playoffs (they held the tiebreaker over both the Bears and Vikes).

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I don't think it was an awful call at all. I think it was a tough call, even for a regular ref. If the ref would have called it an interception, Seattle fans would be PO'd. It was a simultaneous catch, and a tie goes to the receiver. So my opinion is that Tate was correctly awarded the TD. It was clearly a tie, so if they didn't give Tate the TD, then you're being subjective about simultaneous possession. Besides, the call was upheld by a non-lockout, regular replay official.

That article (if that even qualifies as an article), is complete garbage. It's just a bored blogger digging up the past looking for someone to blame for GB blowing it. But I think GB fans are smart enough not to blame Seattle for them not getting the #1 seed. First, they should have scored more points against Seattle. Second, they shouldn't have choked against Minnesota. Thirdly, they shouldn't have lost other games. To blame the entire outcome of their season on week 3 is pretty weak.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
It wasn't an awful call, it could have gone either way, but the replacement refs weren't very well versed in the "garbage calls always go against settle" procedures of the NFL.

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2agqswvp said:

I thought the same thing... showing the NFL fans in other markets an actual story about Richard Sherman running his own charity event would have been interesting just on face value. But I realize the media attracts more readers/viewers with hype rather than the boring truth.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't see how any call made before Thanksgiving can be the 'worst' call of a season, let alone 'ever.'