What If?

What If the Seahawks lose the first game against the Panthers?

• Big deal. It's still the Super Bowl season. 0-1 means nothing.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • It would be a shock. I won't lie. I expect this team to start 1-0.

Votes: 82 64.1%
  • Not sure how I would feel. Ambivalent?

Votes: 13 10.2%

• Total voters

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Throwdown":vk0331i4 said:
I'll be shocked, but i won't fly off the handle like 98% of .net will.
Good point, my jaw will be on the floor, but it is way too early to let one loss determine the outcome of the season.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Here's our 10AM east coast road schedule:
@ Carolina
@ Houston
@ Indianapolis
@ Atlanta
@ NYG

Historically, west coast teams on the east coast at 10AM only win 22% of their games. On average, we should win ONE of these games, going 1-4. A playoff caliber team should at least go 2-3. An extremely dominant team might go 3-2. In 2011, when SF went 13-3, they squeaked out two of their 10AM east coast games against an 8-8 Philly team and a 9-7 Bengal team by a combined 6 points. Last year in their only 10AM east coast game, they drubbed a lowly NYJ club. Yeah, that's right, we play more 10AM east coast games than SF played the last two years combined. Way to try to keep a good team down NFL.

We don't play any scrub teams on the road at 10AM this year. Not one of those teams is as bad as the three teams SF played in the past three years. Winning 2 of those 5 will be hard, but not impossible. Win 3 and I think it will show this team is the Super Bowl favorite. Of all those teams, Carolina is the most beatable IMO. So if we lose that game, we're still a playoff team, but it won't bode well for us taking 2 of the next 4 10AM games. I think we beat Carolina, we beat Indy, but Houston, Atlanta and the Gints will all be tough ones to win. I think we still make the playoffs if we lose to Carolina, but I don't think, with SF's easy road schedule, that we win the division.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The opener is a HUGE game. With the 49ers coming into town in Week #2, we really don't want to start 0-1 and have lots of extra pressure to win that one. Conversely, it's possible the 49ers head into that game at 0-1 as well as they play the Packers in Week #1 so who knows. It would be great to hang 0-2 on them out of the gate. As much as we like to rub the Whiners fans noses in the crap of that 42-13 ownage last December, come this season it means nothing. The one thing to feel strongly about is C Link will be rocking, it's our home opener, it's SNF, and I think our defense will really handle the Niners without Crabtree.

Playing in Carolina at 10 am, most likely in considerable heat and humidity, is not going to be an easy task. We were lucky to get out of there last season with a win, although our offense was still clunking along. If Newton would have thrown an easy pass to an open receiver, we would have last that game.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lost in Carolina, but I agree this place would be a Carnival of Kneejerk Catastrophe.

Every week this season is truly huge. We MUST win the West, if not get HFA. That was our script during the 2005 season of glory. I'd much rather have two home games to win to get to the Super Bowl instead of having to go on the road again.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":a2c3tw7y said:
@ Carolina
@ Houston
@ Indianapolis
@ Atlanta
@ NYG

Historically, west coast teams on the east coast at 10AM only win 22% of their games. On average, we should win ONE of these games, going 1-4. A playoff caliber team should at least go 2-3. An extremely dominant team might go 3-2. In 2011, when SF went 13-3, they squeaked out two of their 10AM east coast games against an 8-8 Philly team and a 9-7 Bengal team by a combined 6 points. Last year in their only 10AM east coast game, they drubbed a lowly NYJ club. Yeah, that's right, we play more 10AM east coast games than SF played the last two years combined. Way to try to keep a good team down NFL.

We don't play any scrub teams on the road at 10AM this year. Not one of those teams is as bad as the three teams SF played in the past three years. Winning 2 of those 5 will be hard, but not impossible. Win 3 and I think it will show this team is the Super Bowl favorite. Of all those teams, Carolina is the most beatable IMO. So if we lose that game, we're still a playoff team, but it won't bode well for us taking 2 of the next 4 10AM games. I think we beat Carolina, we beat Indy, but Houston, Atlanta and the Gints will all be tough ones to win. I think we still make the playoffs if we lose to Carolina, but I don't think, with SF's easy road schedule, that we win the division.
I see Carolina as must win and a split between Houston and Indianapolis and Atlanta and NYG as the best case scenerio but less than likely. More likely is 2-3 and we must win the Thursday and Monday games against the Cardinals and Rams that would leave us at 4-4 maybe 5-3 on the road and that should be enough for at least the number 2 seed and with 1 home game and roll the dice in the NFC championship.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":21v1t8v1 said:
@ Carolina
@ Houston
@ Indianapolis
@ Atlanta
@ NYG

Good thoughts. I, for one, think the Giants are very beatable.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Losing a road opener is never a shock. I think we're the better team and are capable of winning, but a loss at the first game on the other side of the country wouldn't be a huge deal, I don't think.

chris98251

Reaction score
One thing would be needed, a cage around Seahawks. Net to protect the members from the 49ers fans wanting to have a pound of flesh.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":6f1qylya said:
Losing a road opener is never a shock. I think we're the better team and are capable of winning, but a loss at the first game on the other side of the country wouldn't be a huge deal, I don't think.
It didn't slow down the '05 team which looked very poor in their road opener at Jax. I'm with this - though wouldn't be thrilled either.

A

Anonymous

For the love of everything holy, the game kicks off at 1:00 local time in Carolina, not 10:00 am. It is only 10:00 am where most of you are. Arrrrggghhh.!!! (Pulls more hair out...)

Earliness has nothing to do with it you goofballs. And I don't want to hear any freaking stats, so spare me.

I hope we lose the first game only for the purposes of backing-off the media hype, and allowing the team to know what it feels like early on. Then they can settle in and go about kicking heiney the rest of the way.

Losing is the last step in becoming a winner.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
chris98251":30exkaln said:
One thing would be needed, a cage around Seahawks. Net to protect the members from the 49ers fans wanting to have a pound of flesh.

Are you kidding? They are more likely to lose week one than we are. The packers are taking them out in week one. I would say there is a very fair chance that week two is a battle of two 0-1 teams for our home opener and by "very fair" I mean 30-35%.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3vyurxac said:
For the love of everything holy, the game kicks off at 1:00 local time in Carolina, not 10:00 am. It is only 10:00 am where most of you are. Arrrrggghhh.!!! (Pulls more hair out...)

Earliness has nothing to do with it you goofballs. And I don't want to hear any freaking stats, so spare me.

So, are you of the mind that the concepts of jetlag and body clocks are complete fabrications? Genuinely curious. You tell us not to quote you the stats, but let's face it, the stats undeniably demonstrate that west coast teams perform poorly at 10:00 AM PST (or 1:00 PM EST). I'm not sure why you're so outraged at people bringing up the idea that 10:00 AM games are tough when both the stats and our eyeballs back it up.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
I think a lot of people are underestimating the Panthers... Do I think they're a playoff team, no. But it wouldn't surprise me if SEA lost (tough road opener environment).

Week 1 & 2:

I think the most likely scenario is the SEA win both @ Carolina and vs. the 49ers... They start 2-0. The Niners win at home vs. the Pack, but lose at SEA. Rams win at home vs. the Cardinals and lose in ATL; and the Cardinals lose at the Rams and win at home vs. the Lions...

SEA: 2-0
SF: 1-1
STL: 1-1
ARI: 1-1

Weeks 3-5:

SEA: Jaguars (W), @ Texans (L), @ Colts (L)
SF: Colts (W), @ Rams TNF (L), Texans SNF (W)
STL: @ Cowboys (L), 49ers (W), Jaguars (W)
ARI: @ Saints (L), @ Bucs (L), Panthers (W)

SEA: 3-2
SF: 3-2
STL: 3-2
ARI: 2-3

Weeks 6-8

SEA: Titans (W), @ Arizona TNF (W), @ Rams MNF (L)
SF: Arizona (W), @ Titans (W), @ Jaguars - London (W)
STL: @ Texans (L), @ Panthers (L), Seahawks MNF (W)
ARI: @ 49ers (L), Seahawks TNF (L), Falcons (L)

SF: 6-2
SEA: 5-3
STL: 4-4
ARI: 2-6

Weeks 9-11

SEA: Bucs (W), @ Falcons (L), Vikings (W)
SF: Bye, Panthers (W), @ Saints (L)
STL: Titans (W), @ Colts (L), Bye
ARI: Bye, Texans (L), @ Jaguars (W)

SF: 7-3
SEA: 7-4
STL: 5-5
ARI: 3-7

Weeks 12-14

SEA: Bye, Saints MNF (W), @ 49ers (L)
SF: @ Redskins MNF (L), Rams (W), Seahawks (W)
STL: Bears (W), @49ers (L), @ Cardinals (W)
ARI: Colts (L), @ Eagles (L), Rams (L)

SF: 9-4
SEA: 8-5
STL: 7-6
ARI: 3-10

Weeks 15-17

SEA: @ NYG (L), Cardinals (W), Rams (W)
SF: @ Bucs (W), Falcons MNF (W), @ Cardinals (W)
STL: Saints (W), Bucs (W), @ Seahawks (L)
ARI: @ Titans (L), @ Seahawks (L), 49ers (L)

SF: 12-4 - 2nd Seed
SEA: 10-6 - 5th Seed
STL: 9-7
ARI: 3-13

The Niners' away schedule is so much better than the Seahawks... :snack:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NinerBuff":2kj67nt6 said:
I think a lot of people are underestimating the Panthers... Do I think they're a playoff team, no. But it wouldn't surprise me if SEA lost (tough road opener environment).

Week 1 & 2:

I think the most likely scenario is the SEA win both @ Carolina and vs. the 49ers... They start 2-0. The Niners win at home vs. the Pack, but lose at SEA. Rams win at home vs. the Cardinals and lose in ATL; and the Cardinals lose at the Rams and win at home vs. the Lions...

SEA: 2-0
SF: 1-1
STL: 1-1
ARI: 1-1

Weeks 3-5:

SEA: Jaguars (W), @ Texans (L), @ Colts (L)
SF: Colts (W), @ Rams TNF (L), Texans SNF (W)
STL: @ Cowboys (L), 49ers (W), Jaguars (W)
ARI: @ Saints (L), @ Bucs (L), Panthers (W)

SEA: 3-2
SF: 3-2
STL: 3-2
ARI: 2-3

Weeks 6-8

SEA: Titans (W), @ Arizona TNF (W), @ Rams MNF (L)
SF: Arizona (W), @ Titans (W), @ Jaguars - London (W)
STL: @ Texans (L), @ Panthers (L), Seahawks MNF (W)
ARI: @ 49ers (L), Seahawks TNF (L), Falcons (L)

SF: 6-2
SEA: 5-3
STL: 4-4
ARI: 2-6

Weeks 9-11

SEA: Bucs (W), @ Falcons (L), Vikings (W)
SF: Bye, Panthers (W), @ Saints (L)
STL: Titans (W), @ Colts (L), Bye
ARI: Bye, Texans (L), @ Jaguars (W)

SF: 7-3
SEA: 7-4
STL: 5-5
ARI: 3-7

Weeks 12-14

SEA: Bye, Saints MNF (W), @ 49ers (L)
SF: @ Redskins MNF (L), Rams (W), Seahawks (W)
STL: Bears (W), @49ers (L), @ Cardinals (W)
ARI: Colts (L), @ Eagles (L), Rams (L)

SF: 9-4
SEA: 8-5
STL: 7-6
ARI: 3-10

Weeks 15-17

SEA: @ NYG (L), Cardinals (W), Rams (W)
SF: @ Bucs (W), Falcons MNF (W), @ Cardinals (W)
STL: Saints (W), Bucs (W), @ Seahawks (L)
ARI: @ Titans (L), @ Seahawks (L), 49ers (L)

SF: 12-4 - 2nd Seed
SEA: 10-6 - 5th Seed
STL: 9-7
ARI: 3-13

The Niners' away schedule is so much better than the Seahawks... :snack:
That's some nice koolaid you be drinkin'.....our road schedule is hard but let's not get ridiculous it's more likely....

Seattle 12-4
SF 11-5
Lambs 8-8
Cards 6-10

49ers are no better than last year and Crabtree's loss will hurt. Seattle is better than last year. The Rams are NOT going to sneak up on anybody this year and their WR corps is too young. And Carson Palmer is light years ahead of anything the Cards had last year and they do get their Tackle back and they got that G Cooper or Womack forget which so that OL should be better.

warden

Reaction score
Winning any game in the NFL is hard.

Winning on the road is even harder

Winning on the road against an above average team in their season opener is even harder

We have built a team that has the potential to compete and win this game but by no means is it a sure thing. Four of our first five games are going to be a challenge.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Agreed, that's why the game is about as important as a week 1 game can be from a tone setting perspective. It won't kill the season if we lose but it sure would set us on the right foot for that Houston/Indianapolis pairing and from there the ball can really get rolling if it goes right.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1w7iwqgh said:
That's some nice koolaid you be drinkin'.....our road schedule is hard but let's not get ridiculous it's more likely....

Seattle 12-4
SF 11-5
Lambs 8-8
Cards 6-10

49ers are no better than last year and Crabtree's loss will hurt. Seattle is better than last year. The Rams are NOT going to sneak up on anybody this year and their WR corps is too young. And Carson Palmer is light years ahead of anything the Cards had last year and they do get their Tackle back and they got that G Cooper or Womack forget which so that OL should be better.

You may be right about the Cardinals, but I think you're not giving the Rams enough credit. Still, the road games...

SEA: @ Panthers 10am, @ Texans 10am, @ Colts 10am, @ Cardinals TNF, @ Rams MNF, @ Falcons 10am, @ Niners 1pm, @ NYG 10am

There really isn't any gimmes there. The easiest opponent (Arizona) is on a Thursday, and statistically, road teams on TNF games are bad. I think you guys win one of the Texans / Colts / Falcons / Giants games, even if I put all of those games as loses above.

SF: @ Seahawks SNF, @ Rams TNF, @ Titans 1pm, @ Jaguars (London 10am), @ Saints 1pm, @ Redskins MNF, @ Bucs 10am, @ Cardinals 1pm

Titans and Jags should be gimmes, I doubt they win @ SEA or @ STL, but I think they can win 1 or 2 of the Bucs / Saints / Redskins games

Essentially, for two good teams, our away schedule gives us another 2 wins, and we get 1 less home win than you guys...

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
We didn't lose any game last year by more than 7 points, and are a better team with our draft and FA aquisitions plus a full off-season for Dangeruss to work with offense. 12-4.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NinerBuff":3jw0i44e said:
KCHawkGirl":3jw0i44e said:

Seattle 12-4
SF 11-5
Lambs 8-8
Cards 6-10

You may be right about the Cardinals, but I think you're not giving the Rams enough credit. Still, the road games...

SEA: @ Panthers 10am, @ Texans 10am, @ Colts 10am, @ Cardinals TNF, @ Rams MNF, @ Falcons 10am, @ Niners 1pm, @ NYG 10am

There really isn't any gimmes there. The easiest opponent (Arizona) is on a Thursday, and statistically, road teams on TNF games are bad. I think you guys win one of the Texans / Colts / Falcons / Giants games, even if I put all of those games as loses above.

SF: @ Seahawks SNF, @ Rams TNF, @ Titans 1pm, @ Jaguars (London 10am), @ Saints 1pm, @ Redskins MNF, @ Bucs 10am, @ Cardinals 1pm

Titans and Jags should be gimmes, I doubt they win @ SEA or @ STL, but I think they can win 1 or 2 of the Bucs / Saints / Redskins games

Essentially, for two good teams, our away schedule gives us another 2 wins, and we get 1 less home win than you guys...
I don't worry about New Orleans (bad defense and Ryan's scheme takes serious time to learn and it's a MNF we are locks on that night home or away just look it up) knowing that we take the Rams in StL because MNF, the game I worry about is the Cards on Thurs because the road usually loses those games no matter what. I am in disagreement with most here in thinking Houston will be our victory in the Houston/Indy pair but either would serve and going by the stats Indy's defense is worse.......NYG is beatable and well Atlanta.....we should have won last year so that should be an interesting game that if one week later would be a flex game for sure.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Buff. You missed the part where you lose to the Pack in week one. No way in Hell you beat them three consecutive times and without Crabtree.

Latest posts