NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:07 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Hey lets all look at it this way, if we get an nhl team we will get an nba team and likewise if we get an nba team we will get an nhl team. At least thats how I see it.

Incorrect, the NBA team must be acquired to even build the SoDo Arena, we don't get an NHL team without assurance that we will have a new arena for a team.

NBA team is the major goal.

Way to shoot down his only optimistic moment in the last year, Throw...real nice ;)
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:14 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Hey lets all look at it this way, if we get an nhl team we will get an nba team and likewise if we get an nba team we will get an nhl team. At least thats how I see it.

Incorrect, the NBA team must be acquired to even build the SoDo Arena, we don't get an NHL team without assurance that we will have a new arena for a team.

I know that, I am just saying that if it is announced the Seattle will get a hockey team, that an NBA team will shortly follow and thus allow us to get the building started.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:36 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

I know that, I am just saying that if it is announced the Seattle will get a hockey team, that an NBA team will shortly follow and thus allow us to get the building started.

Throwdown - I can't believe you squashed the one (NBA-related) optimistic thought Blitzer has had in months
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 pm
  • Hansen left the door open to an NHL ownership group coming in and paying out of their pockets as partners in the arena deal to get a shovel in the ground until Hansen gets his team secured. The MOU would have to be changed, but if a group wants to come in and put down some of the money for a building, they could, theoretically. Hansen has just said that it won't be his money getting invested before the NBA guarantees a return.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:04 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:I saw some tweets today from the sonics rising guys that they are talking expansion for Seattle. Obviously this is the reason we backed down and didn't fight harder for the kings. A team is coming our way in the next year to two. Book it.

Tim Montemayor was on with Brock and Danny back on 5/15. For those who might have missed it, here is a real scooby snack from that interview last month ...

Montemayor: “I think that the best case scenario is a year from now you will be 99% through an expansion process. And I’ve said this for two months – that the Hansen/Ballmer group is in position to become an owner of a franchise through expansion. And that has been talked about and bandied about in NBA circles for several months. And I think the clearest indication that that information’s correct is the news that the NBA is going to re-negotiate their TV Contract early – and they have an out after every year in which they can re-negotiate that. But they need that negotiation to happen in order to leverage it for the most money and expansion. I think ‘clear path’ for Seattle means that they’re going to re-negotiate that TV Deal, which would include a new franchise.

You can both listen to and read the entire interview at the link below ...

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68646&start=0

It appears abundantly clear to me that Montemayor's information is correct and that he is honestly plugged in to some credible and knowledgable NBA inside sources here. Montemayor contends that the relationship between the Maloofs and Hansen's group were really damaging Seattle's chances of landing a team. Hansen was told that after he reached to some sources within the NBA that he knew and trusted. Once he and his group began to back away from the Maloofs, the channels of communication began to open back up again and VOILA! ... here we are. If that really is true that the NBA will move to re-negotiate its TV Deal once the NBA Finals are over ... then I think you'll see the talk about an expansion team for Seattle start to really amp up. Yes, I know that the expansion process is open to every city ... and that Seattle will be among several cities competing for an expansion franchise if that actually comes to fruition. That said, Seattle would seem to me to be head and shoulders above any other city out there right now when it comes to expansion ... and Stern has already acknowledged that Seattle is #1 on the list. I agree -- you will see an NBA team in Seattle again in the next 1-3 years. This train has just far too much momentum behind it.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:12 pm
  • There was also that report out of SF from "NBA sources" that the NBA and Hanson Group are in serious talks to expand the Sonics back into Seattle. All the indices are indicating the Sonics coming back vis-a-vis the big old expand.
    P.S. What's with that stupid fighting crap in hockey? Are they gonna do that if we get a team? We don't roll like that here in the Jet City, people--we just pop a cap in yo ass. ;)
    DAMAGE FROM THE HARVIN DEBACLE RUNS DEEP FOR SEAHAWKS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/10/22/ ... -seahawks/
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:33 pm
  • Any word on you guys getting an actual MLB team?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:51 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Any word on you guys getting an actual MLB team?

There are rumors that after Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong retire we may get one! ;)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:43 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Any word on you guys getting an actual MLB team?

You want the team we have now?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:27 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Any word on you guys getting an actual MLB team?

You want the team we have now?

Definatly not that team. I wouldn't even want the Seahawks (or any NFL team for that matter). Although it would be cool if the Hawks played a preseason game down here every year, or maybe rotated between Anchorage, Vancouver and Portland or something on a yearly basis.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:02 am
  • Where would they play? Autzen?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:23 am
  • Jeld-Wen perhaps, though it's rather small.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:21 am
  • OK all you hockey pucks, in case you don't already know, Sonics Rising has a poll for naming the hockey team.
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:50 am
  • grizbob wrote:OK all you hockey pucks, in case you don't already know, Sonics Rising has a poll for naming the hockey team.

How about the Hansons? Then you pay tribute to the man who made it possible and to a great hockey movie as well. :sarcasm_off:
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:09 am
  • CPHawk wrote:
    grizbob wrote:OK all you hockey pucks, in case you don't already know, Sonics Rising has a poll for naming the hockey team.

How about the Hansons? Then you pay tribute to the man who made it possible and to a great hockey movie as well. :sarcasm_off:

How you gonna pay tribute to a guy and spell his name wrong?
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:07 pm
  • :common069:
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:26 pm
  • dunceface wrote::common069:

Our time is coming...

Patience, grass hoppas
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:32 am

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 am
  • Well that's something...
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:58 am
  • Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:27 pm
  • How bout The Seattle Hansen Brothers?
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 am
  • And they can play mmmm bop every time they are on a power play. Yes!!!!!
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:21 am
  • dunceface wrote:How bout The Seattle Hansen Brothers?

I'm watching Slap Shot tonight, never seen it.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:41 am

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    dunceface wrote:How bout The Seattle Hansen Brothers?

I'm watching Slap Shot tonight, never seen it.

Whaaaaaaat??? Such a great flick!

And thinking more about it, renaming whatever hockey team that ends up here "The Chiefs" with the same logo would be a great reference to the Native culture, an all time great hockey movie, and a sly nod to Hansen because of the cult heroes in the film; The Hanson Bros (albeit different spelling)
    DO IT SEATTLE!!!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:20 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:If we named them The Chiefs, we'd have Native American groups accusing us of racism. :(

Huh? Why? Nobody's ever complained about the nfl's KC Chiefs. It's not a derogatory name. Why would anyone care and how is that racism? Did I miss something?
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:16 pm
  • Yeah I'm with Grubes on this one...
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 am
  • HansGruber wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:If we named them The Chiefs, we'd have Native American groups accusing us of racism. :(

Huh? Why? Nobody's ever complained about the nfl's KC Chiefs. It's not a derogatory name. Why would anyone care and how is that racism? Did I miss something?

I think it was a very poor attempt at humor.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:05 am
  • HansGruber wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:If we named them The Chiefs, we'd have Native American groups accusing us of racism. :(

They're focusing their limited resources on the Redskns for now--that's just the beginning.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:39 pm
  • So it wasnt humor? :hmmmm:
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:55 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:

They're focusing their limited resources on the Redskns for now--that's just the beginning.

That's just stupid. "Redskins" is a derogatory term and was used as an insult. There is nothing insulting about "Chiefs" or "Totems" or anything else relating to native culture. The groups going after the redskins name will stop there.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:12 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:

No need to expound. I knew by your sadly failed attempt at sarcasm what you were getting at, long before you spelled it out. You're probably better off just letting it go.

And if you really don't understand the difference between "redskin" and "chief", take a drive to Browning, Montana, go into any indian bar, then offer to buy a round for all the "redskins". Hey, there's nothing wrong with that word right? So it shouldn't be a problem.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:23 pm
  • You should hear how I order drinks on MLK and 23rd.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:27 pm
  • I have always found it is best to mention the free drinks right before dropping the slurs.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:44 pm
  • pehawk wrote:You should hear how I order drinks on MLK and 23rd.

LOL.

Although you've obviously never stepped foot in the 'hood. MLK is parrallel to 23rd.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:48 pm
  • MLK?

RUN IT'S THE MEDIA
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:49 pm
  • Where ever the grocery outlet is? That's technically 23rd and Madison, I think. But, that's where I copped my crack.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:53 pm
  • No I'm serious. I heard a spokesperson for one of the NA groups and she was asked about the other Indian-derived names and she said that they were going after the Redskins first because it was the most egregious one, and they have limited resources, but after that they're going after all the rest of them--Chiefs too.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:00 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Where ever the grocery outlet is? That's technically 23rd and Madison, I think. But, that's where I copped my crack.

Do you use the same terms when getting your chicken at Ezelle's up the street? It's a great place to get some chicken, walk across the street to the community center, and get into some gang sh*t.

Ya know what really pisses me off? Ezelle's isn't really Ezelle's anymore. Seriously. The original Ezelle got bought out or something, and now he runs a chicken place up on Lake City Way or something ridiculous like that. Man, when I'm about to stone-cold blast a fool with my gat, I want some authentic Ezelle's fried chicken and those awesome sweet rolls first. Mmmm. Nothing goes with murder and/or crack better than some Ezelle's fried chicken.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:07 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:No I'm serious. I heard a spokesperson for one of the NA groups and she was asked about the other Indian-derived names and she said that they were going after the Redskins first because it was the most egregious one, and they have limited resources, but after that they're going after all the rest of them--Chiefs too.

Hey hey, check this out, serious man, hey, so check this out man, hey check this out, so I heard the Seattle Police are all up in people's minds and stuff, they can read your thoughts too. No I'm serious man, hey, check this out, no I'm serious. Hey. Check this out. I'm not just saying that cuz of the yayo, this satellite stuff is real man. Hey, hey, check this out, no seriously, check this out, Hey, do you got a quarter? My car broke down and I need some bus fare to Tacoma. Hey, man,check it out, you gotta be careful, those pigs are watching you man, hey man, no seriously, hey man check this out, no I'm serious.

Oh sorry, my bad, someone was talking about crack and it made me want some so I took a hit. But seriously man, hey, check this out, they really are listening man, no I'm serious, hey, check it out.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:00 pm
  • Ha ha. I ain't making it up.
    P.S. I used to score crack at 23rd and Union and have known people who worked at Ezell's--I have met both Louis and Ezell, the original owners. They split 20 years ago and one of them spun off "Ezell's Famous Fried Chicken". I have gorged on many hundreds of pieces of Ezell's. Yum yum. ;) In my opinion the end started when they switched to the injected premarinated chicken instead of marinating it manually in tubs.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:59 am
  • http://www.sonicsrising.com/2013/8/5/45 ... han-others

It's new news to me and this thread needed bumping :mrgreen:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:02 am
  • The threat was eliminated pretty handily the other day. No political road blocks stand in the way right now.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:41 pm
  • Reports are coming out now that Chris Hansen did in fact fund the Sac anti arena group.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:48 pm
  • -shrug-

no problem with it.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:58 pm
  • Meh........Nothing to see here..... Move along......
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information