Jeremy Lane

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I like his game as well. He is very fast and can cover well. In camp last summer I noticed he was hesitating a lot in coverage but by the end of the season he was very good. He was a quality pick and could start for many teams.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Without looking at the All 22 tape, my impression of Lane is that he's fast....he plays a lot faster than his timed speed, but he's not quick laterally.

This hurts him in the slot. Fast guys survive on the outside as you can use the sidelines as a defender. Slot WRs have a lot more field to work with, and can use their quickness to their advantage. You're also bumping into defenders and other offensive players out in their routes, so you need to be able to avoid them, or recover quickly.

I don't think Lane is suited to the Nickle/slot CB spot. I do think with experience he can be decent on the outside. His ceiling is probably somewhere around "good starter" to a bridge player. I'm more interested if Simon or Lane wins their camp battle (if Simon is healthy).

bobk3333

Reaction score
Hawks46":24w6q3mt said:
I don't think Lane is suited to the Nickle/slot CB spot. I do think with experience he can be decent on the outside. His ceiling is probably somewhere around "good starter" to a bridge player. I'm more interested if Simon or Lane wins their camp battle (if Simon is healthy).

I agree that Lane is not suited to play nickel this season. For one thing, he has never played it; and as Marcus Trufant could tell you, it's not that easy picking it up. For the inside nickel, we are usually looking for a tackler and an experienced player who can read the quarterback and the play -- usually aging veterans who have lost a fraction of a step, with Walter Thurmond being an exception.

Besides, we already have a *great* nickel in Winfield and a very good dime in Thurmond - or possibly Browner if Thurmond becomes the starting outside corner (see post below).

bobk3333

Reaction score
Walter Thurmond, if healthy, will probably be the Seahawks' starting *outside* cornerback by the end of the season, supplanting Brandon Browner. The only game Thurmond started last year, the second game against Arizona, was maybe the best the Seahawk defense has ever looked, but granted, it was at home against an Arizona Cardinal offense that had already given up.

Most cover corners start getting old at 29, younger than any other position, with a few exceptions like Antoine Winfield. If corners lose even a fraction of a step they are completely exposed by the young receivers with world class speed. Passes they were able to get their hands on before are now inches beyond their fingertips.

Brandon Browner will probably be losing his speed soon. Maybe he was just rusty, but he did not look good in the playoffs coming back after his suspension. Walter Thurmond on the other hand is very good, and relatively young. Even though Thurmond is entering his fourth (!) season with the Hawks, because of injury we have only seen glimpses of him, but from what we have seen, there is tremendous potential there.

Both Browner and Thurmond will be unrestricted free agents after the season.

Thurmond has expressed a strong desire to be a starting outside corner. Given his potential it is totally understandable that he wants to use his cover skills on the outside at some time during his career and doesn't want to remain a part-time nickel player.

Unless Thurmond is shown a clear path to a starting outside corner position - which probably means he needs to be the starter by the end of the season or sooner - he will almost surely be gone and signed by another team, maybe SF who could use an all-star corner like Thurmond could very well become.

Jeremy Lane, I think, will need to wait his turn on the bench this season, prepared to play in case of injury. Tharold Simon, also a fifth round pick but with a year less experience than Lane, is destined for the practice squad. Simon is off to a rough start, first getting arrested the night before the draft, then reporting to rookie camp out of shape and subsequently sitting out almost all (or all?) of OTAs with some kind of foot injury (but did not wear a boot.)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Lane dropped a pick 6 in the Niners beatdown. Maybe Pete would have gone for 2.

General Manager

Reaction score
Walter needs to show that he can stay healthy and be consistent that's really all there is to it, and this will likely be his last year if he can't. I think Lane is going to be around for a few years unless he takes a huge step back and that doesn't seem likely he has all the tools needed to play corner and push for a starting job.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Jeremy Lane can run stride-for-stride with speedy WRs, but I haven't noticed how he plays in the slot or how he covers receivers with fluid hips that can break across the field crisply. He seemed like a nice backup to have in case one of Sherman or Browner are not playing, however. If I recall correctly, ARZ, SF, and BUF all tried to test him deep on their first offensive drives last year, and none of them came up with anything.