ATTN NHL Fans: Coyotes to Seattle is Plan B?

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sounds like a suicide deal for either, 2028 for the Coyotes? can they even survive that? I mean after 5 years they can opted out, but that screws over the city.

Goodness!

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
lol I truely hope for you NHL Fanatics this happens, hell even I want to try NHL hockey out to see what it be like!

Plus having the NHL would give me a great idea on things with the NBA.

jpetty38

Reaction score
Looks like a deal is gonna get done, with the stadium being in westgate a lot of the business are pushing hard, and the attorneys are in lobby talking.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I watched all 4 hours of that council meeting. That city is screwed. It elects people with no public speaking or apparently even basic English skills, they are mortgaging their future for projected... I'm not even sure project what they are projecting 6m + loss for 5 years, they say the payoff is in 20 year? What in the world is going on. Sad stupid little city, gives America a bad name.

Msfann

Reaction score
I don't see why anyone would ever give us a team when they can keep using us like this.

Note to professional sports teams: If you want ANYTHING just threaten to move to Seattle and the city wallets open right up! even if police and fire and teachers are being laid off.

Galen96

Reaction score
normally I'd say I want a team in Seattle, but I want the Coyotes to stay here in Phoenix. Westgate is the best place to go on the weekends around here.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Msfann":35jmdg81 said:
police and fire and teachers are being laid off.

That is what is sooooooo baffling. I don't want to steal anybodies team away, but I just can't understand how irresponsible these cities are to keep a failing business at their tax payers expense. If I were a resident of Sacramento or Glendale I would be livid. More so than the tax payers that paid gor Safeco.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
TheRealDTM":3eokv3sx said:
I watched all 4 hours of that council meeting. That city is screwed. It elects people with no public speaking or apparently even basic English skills, they are mortgaging their future for projected... I'm not even sure project what they are projecting 6m + loss for 5 years, they say the payoff is in 20 year? What in the world is going on. Sad stupid little city, gives America a bad name.

I watched the whole thing unfold via Twitter, and some of the stuff I was seeing was completely baffling. That's exactly what I took from it - that no matter the outcome of the team, that city's public officials have worse leadership and decision-making skills than Wile E. Coyote. It was seriously like watching a train wreck happen over and over again in slow motion.

:shock:

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Reading an article on an Arizona news site, first two comments.

Paul Welch · Top Commenter · Phoenix, Arizona
Great news. More than four years of this mess is OVER!

Um Paul, its just postpones 5 years, that out-clause will be used.

Then the response:

Trevor Beatty · Winnipeg, Manitoba
Now we can get on with the next 5 yrs of heavy financial losses till the $50 mil out clause kicks in, Quebec has their arena completed or Seattle has their NBA situation settled and then the team can pull up stakes and re-locate. This is a stop-gap measure for the NHL to unload the team to a smoke and mirrors third party, who will "run" the team, while Glendale funds 2/3's of the losses, giving the re-location cities time to get their ducks in a row and thenl the magic $50 mil in losses appear triggering the out clause and they are gone.

JOz56

Reaction score
I for one look forward to Sacramento and Glendale as being the prime examples as to why more cities are going to be passing their own versions of I-91. What a trainwreck that I just don't feel bad for watching. And yeah, if I was a tax payer, I would be livid for these deals.

KK84

Reaction score
As much as I hated I-91, and as much as I cried when the sonics were stolen, looking back now it's far better than the alternative. Imagine being a citizen of Glendale watching your house burn down because the fire department can't afford gas. I bet you wouldn't be thinking about watching hockey.

JOz56

Reaction score
KK84":2275xtq4 said:
As much as I hated I-91, and as much as I cried when the sonics were stolen, looking back now it's far better than the alternative. Imagine being a citizen of Glendale watching your house burn down because the fire department can't afford gas. I bet you wouldn't be thinking about watching hockey.

From what I've gathered and heard from people in the know, most don't think about watching hockey anyways.

KK84

Reaction score
Great perspective from a poster on another site

SDSmith":3o7j87ve said:
I rode the Kings rollercoaster, and to a smaller degree the Coyotes rollercoaster too. What I learned is, I woke-up today in my beautiful city (born here too) and have two great deep pocket ownership groups to look forward too. The Sacto and Glendale folks are looking at tax bills, parking fees, surcharges, leveraged owners, and they awoke in Glendale and Sacto.

I’ll await the return of the green & gold, and the guys on ice. Patience. Ok, I’ll wait for the better deal. My wallet will be buying tickets, jerseys and beer—not parking surcharges …

Galen96

Reaction score
JOz56":qt39a9dx said:
KK84":qt39a9dx said:

From what I've gathered and heard from people in the know, most don't think about watching hockey anyways.

That's strange, as most of the people I've worked with at 2 different places are hockey fans... people talk more about hockey here than the dbacks

m0ng0

Reaction score
Everybody knew Portland was in the conversation and really were in a better situation to get the team then Seattle was, but I think Vulcan braintrust saw the writing on the wall no sense making a big push when everybody knew the yotes were going nowhere.