hawks move to #1 on NFL.com rankings

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
prob for KC is that denver is going to be good and the chargers should bounce back.

However I've always thought alex smith was better than most people did and I think he will be better than most people think in KC. I could see him having a pro-bowl caliber year with some of those offensive weapons.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
kearly":9qfji3ou said:
nIdahoSeahawk":9qfji3ou said:
I see on the NFL's facebook post, that quite a few people are saying "packers #1"

No run game, lost one of their better receivers, and mediocre defense. Way too many holes. If anything, Packers could be the team to plummet down the rankings this year.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
When we were on the top of this OFF-SEASON power poll most of you said that these things were pointless and just fluff to fill the void until pre-season started.

Now that you are on top and we are second it is suddenly a meaningful tool for judging a teams potential.

C'mon guys

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
NinerLifer":3ll9uggq said:
When we were on the top of this OFF-SEASON power poll most of you said that these things were pointless and just fluff to fill the void until pre-season started.

Now that you are on top and we are second it is suddenly a meaningful tool for judging a teams potential.

C'mon guys
Well, it's always just "some guy's" opinion - and I seriously doubt many picked the Ravens to win it all last year. That said, it is interesting to see how people view the off season changes and what the expectations / reputation is of a franchise moving forward into the next year. But yeah it doesn't mean anything in the long run.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NinerLifer":36rgygsl said:

C'mon guys
Don't lump me into that I have made it clear that I think they're meaningless but I do think they are fun and a harmless way to pass the offseason.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1pnxww38 said:

C'mon guys

If you don't like the pro-Seahawks commentary from the fans on a Seahawks fan forum, we can show you the door.

In the mean time...zip it. :16:

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Stephen SeaHawking":2s5tsmo1 said:
kearly":2s5tsmo1 said:
nIdahoSeahawk":2s5tsmo1 said:
I see on the NFL's facebook post, that quite a few people are saying "packers #1"

No run game, lost one of their better receivers, and mediocre defense. Way too many holes. If anything, Packers could be the team to plummet down the rankings this year.

Eddie Lacy would argue with you about the notion they don't have a run game. 8)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawknballs":h9pbnnpf said:
prob for KC is that denver is going to be good and the chargers should bounce back.

However I've always thought alex smith was better than most people did and I think he will be better than most people think in KC. I could see him having a pro-bowl caliber year with some of those offensive weapons.
Not sold is all and most in KC are of my opinion. They really do need a 2nd receiver to be somewhat of a threat. But I could be wrong and most of the fanbase here is pretty downtrodden at this point so they tend to see things more negatively than positively.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
As far as the writers are concerned it's a great story when we win, better story when we fail. Win/win for the press corps, as always. September can't get here fast enough. That, and it's 111 freaking degrees here today.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2xl7ngys said:

C'mon guys

Perhaps it has something to do with the superstar WR we picked up that is 25 years old, or the old veteran CB that was ranked slightly ahead of Richard Sherman as the best CB in the NFL last year by Pro Football Focus, or the moves we made to add more pass rushing power. Our weakest link on defense last year (nickel/slot coverage) is suddenly a strength, our pass rush is pretty much guaranteed to be improved at least a little, and our offense that was en fuego the last half of the season picked up the most dynamic, creative receiver in the league.

We were ranked 2nd-best team in the NFL before all of that. You honestly think we have any problem being ranked #1 now after the aforementioned? There's something to be said about fan hypocrisy, but don't pretend like you and all of your fan base doesn't do it, too. I remember you guys crying about how not everyone was picking you to go to the Super Bowl and win it when the playoffs came in Harbaugh's first year, and most of you wouldn't listen to reason about Alex Smith's lack of experience in the postseason.

Give us a break, NinerLifer. :roll:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2omxg947 said:
Today this writer is a genius!

No kidding!
Let's all celebrate that we're #1 on some silly piece of paper. It does't mean squat. I'd rather we were ranked lower because: 1. Four teams made it further than us. 2. This is a new season and we haven't played a single game.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":fsq4tyg8 said:
Tech Worlds":fsq4tyg8 said:
Today this writer is a genius!

No kidding!
Let's all celebrate that we're #1 on some silly piece of paper. It does't mean squat. I'd rather we were ranked lower because: 1. Four teams made it further than us. 2. This is a new season and we haven't played a single game.
Ranked lower or higher doesn't mean a thing except for YOUR personal comfort level. What I see is that right now in a vacuum we are better than Atlanta, San Francisco, Baltimore and New England (the teams that finished ahead of us last year). It's all meaningless and everything will sort itself out on the field soon enough.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I can't decide if you some of you are just not ready to embrace the era of success that is upon us, or are just grumpy bastages to begin with.

Perhaps a mix of both?

;)

Cartire

Reaction score
I think they should put this song next to every ranking of the seahawks. The butt hurt would flow nicely.

[youtube]E-WHW-QNswE[/youtube]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":edq2ajd1 said:
Sgt. Largent":edq2ajd1 said:
NFL preseason power rankings are about as useless as a 3rd nipple. If you don't believe me, just look at last year's preseason power rankings

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2012/week/0

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... contenders

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1303 ... r-rankings

I wouldn't say "useless"...

In the ESPN poll, 5 of the top 6 teams made the playoffs and two reached the Super Bowl.

In the NFL.COM poll, 3 of the 4 top shelf teams made the playoffs.

In the Bleacher Report, 4 of the top 5 teams made the playoffs...but then again, it's Bleacher Report.

Harmless to us, I agree. I'm just worried about the players buying into all the hype. Pete's been great so far at preparation, but this is the 1st year where the team's expectations is Super Bowl. So I'm worried about this young team not letting the hype go to their heads.

A

Anonymous

FlyingGreg":3n3pr80a said:
I can't decide if you some of you are just not ready to embrace the era of success that is upon us, or are just grumpy bastages to begin with.

Perhaps a mix of both?

;)

I think embracing the fact we now rock has to be done on a gradual basis in order to avoid any unforeseen complications. I mean, my heart stopped and re-started again four times during that game in Atlanta. That can't be good for you.

Hearing all the schmoozing we are getting from the media is kinda like we all just woke up one morning and all our girlfriends and wives magically transformed from a 6.5 into a 9. I find myself bathing and combing my hair just a little bit more lately...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":37se7p5m said:
FlyingGreg":37se7p5m said:

Perhaps a mix of both?

;)

I think embracing the fact we now rock has to be done on a gradual basis in order to avoid any unforeseen complications. I mean, my heart stopped and re-started again four times during that game in Atlanta. That can't be good for you.

Hearing all the schmoozing we are getting from the media is kinda like we all just woke up one morning and all our girlfriends and wives magically transformed from a 6.5 into a 9. I find myself bathing and combing my hair just a little bit more lately...

Lol, true. Although I was strangely calm at the end of the Falcons game... honestly, I looked at my wife after Lynch scored and said, "there is too much time left and we have no pass rush". The whole house was going ape sh*t and I was just "damn, we were this close"....I just knew we couldn't stop them from getting into field goal position.

Alas, I think that game is going to be a HUGE motivator for this team that pushes them to the next level. You can tell they want to sand blast that memory.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":20frybb3 said:

Perhaps a mix of both?

;)

No grumpy bastard here. But I am a "show me first" kind of fan. I don't buy into hype, so to say we're in an "era of success" after one year of success where we didn't even make the conference finals is premature IMO.

I measure success by division/conference trophies and Super Bowl appearances, not pre-season power rankings and Vegas odds.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":31vgavi2 said:
Stephen SeaHawking":31vgavi2 said:

Eddie Lacy would argue with you about the notion they don't have a run game. 8)

Assuming that Eddie Lacy isn't Mark Ingram part II (by that I mean, ineffective in the NFL because Alabama had NFL talent playing against college teams on the O-line) and the Packers O-line suddenly stops being mediocre to awful in a way that would make this board go even more apoplectic about not drafting linemean.