Finding the Fits: Williams hoping to Roll Tide in SEA

ivotuk

Reaction score
A fun read by Rob Rang, there are other players/teams in the series.

"Perhaps the most understated reason for Seattle's dominating defense last season, however, was simpler -- the Seahawks were simply tougher and more aggressive than most opponents.

As such, it might feel a bit like a homecoming for rookie Jesse Williams, arguably the most fearsome defender in college football the past two seasons.

Nicknamed "Tha Monstar" at Alabama in part due to his heavily tattooed and massive frame (6-foot-4, 323 pounds), Williams ranked as one of the stouter run defenders in the 2013 draft and was widely viewed as a second-round value"

http://www.cbssports.com/general/bl...-fits-williams-hoping-to-roll-tide-in-seattle

dunceface

Reaction score
So he's the purple one right??
Img22548909

Tumblr mpavlay8hv1qlkvaio1 400

Can't wait to see this guy in action :th2thumbs:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If he does as advertised against the run and can provide a bit of pressure up the middle watch out NFL!

Cartire

Reaction score
Here my only question. If he was a second round talent, why did so many teams pass him up? I mean, we waited until the 5th even.

I keep hearing steal of the draft. Is there any source that gives a reason for him slipping as far as he did? Character issues? Is he gonna be a stud, but then murder someone in a few years?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
He has some knee issues. Apparently they are potentially bad enough that he fell to the 5th round.

samwize77

Reaction score
Certainly sounds like he's worth the risk. With the rotation Pete has he probably won't be "overused and abused".

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Even if he was drafted in the fifth so was Sherman. ;)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Cartire":2cyy7f9f said:
Here my only question. If he was a second round talent, why did so many teams pass him up? I mean, we waited until the 5th even.

I keep hearing steal of the draft. Is there any source that gives a reason for him slipping as far as he did? Character issues? Is he gonna be a stud, but then murder someone in a few years?

Purely injury issues. If he can stay healthy, he's a 2nd round talent.

Sac

Reaction score
HawkFan72":23fmtr4j said:
Cartire":23fmtr4j said:

He's the Walter Thurmond of the D-Line.

Cartire

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":4kdaztij said:
HawkFan72":4kdaztij said:
Cartire":4kdaztij said:

I found this statement depressing.

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
First year he'll see rotation time and if his knees survive it and he doesn't play badly he'll likely move into the starting line up in 2014... But the main thing is his knees.. 300lb linemen with crap knees are no use to anyone if they're on IR or rehabbing (see Carp). We're lucky we have the depth on the team that we could potentially waste a pick on someone that may only see the field for a few snaps. I'm not expecting anything from him being honest and will be happy if he amounts to anything more than rotation. He has the talent but if 32 teams passed on him multiple times that tells me they know more about the condition of the knees than we will.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":jsj3icbo said:
HawkFan72":jsj3icbo said:
Cartire":jsj3icbo said:

Some seem to think his knees are so bad he could be Tubbs 2.0

Sac

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2iuuvmps said:
SoulfishHawk":2iuuvmps said:
He hasn't played a down in the NFL and he's already the next Branch/Thurmond/Tubbs etc.
wow

Lol, was just thinking the same thing.

Good grief.

This was in reference to him being a much higher rated player than his actual draft position who fell due to injuries. Nothing more.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1xy7q5gn said:
FlyingGreg":1xy7q5gn said:
SoulfishHawk":1xy7q5gn said:
He hasn't played a down in the NFL and he's already the next Branch/Thurmond/Tubbs etc.
wow

Lol, was just thinking the same thing.

Good grief.

This was in reference to him being a much higher rated player than his actual draft position who fell due to injuries. Nothing more.

Thurmond, maybe. Not Tubbs... he was a 1st round pick.

My concern is that people are going to write him off because he was a 5th round pick, and I hate seeing the name Tubbs mentioned. Let's see how it plays out, I have a lot more faith in this front office to weigh the risk/reward.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Maybe it was all the rumors that he may be just 5'-11", 206 lbs. without all the tattoos? An idea for the SF game: His teammates should put a note in his locker (and sign it: Frank Gore, et al), "The factory in the homeland needs you to report immediately to help identify those bent (damaged) bananas." Then, fans, get your popcorn ready.
The season can't get here soon enough. It's going to be a marvelous thing to behold.

Side note: Did anyone see this? Since the Hawks rotate their guys... maybe JS should get this guy's agent on the phone for a reverse Cable-esque Dan Quinn/Travis Jones DT project? The Destroyer?
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... int-return

mikeak

Reaction score
You can't say a guy won't hold up just because of injuries in college

Sincerely,

Greg Oden