ATTN NHL Fans: Coyotes to Seattle is Plan B?

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Here are some new developments in the Coyotes arena deal.

"GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Negotiations to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Arizona fell to a new level of chaos Friday evening, with both Glendale officials and the team's prospective owners saying they cannot overcome their latest impasse.

Unless the sides somehow overcome their differences during the next few days, the Coyotes' fate seems sealed.

Call in the moving vans. Destination: unknown."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nh ... l/2474619/

It is looking very likely that the team will move... To where seems to be the main question. From what I've read in various articles, Seattle is generally thought of as the favorite, but there are actually several other possible destinations. It definitely looks like the arena deal is gonna fall apart though.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
BlueThunder":pqrg39sr said:
Here are some new developments in the Coyotes arena deal.

"GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Negotiations to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Arizona fell to a new level of chaos Friday evening, with both Glendale officials and the team's prospective owners saying they cannot overcome their latest impasse.

Unless the sides somehow overcome their differences during the next few days, the Coyotes' fate seems sealed.

Call in the moving vans. Destination: unknown."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nh ... l/2474619/

It is looking very likely that the team will move... To where seems to be the main question. From what I've read in various articles, Seattle is generally thought of as the favorite, but there are actually several other possible destinations. It definitely looks like the arena deal is gonna fall apart though.

Interesting developments. Gotta see how it plays out though for me to get my hopes up.

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
I just don't see how its even possible to get emotionally involved, there's really no way to be screwed over IMO. Its not like we are entitled in anyway to this team like we were with the Kings when HBN seemed to have it in the bag.

drdiags

Reaction score
At least you jokers will not have to go through several months of the roller-coaster (maybe?). July 2nd looks to be an end date unlike the stupid NBA recommendation vote, then more stalling for two weeks before actually turning things down (with a few last minute presentations thrown in to build up the anxiety).

Though there was the claim about June 25th being the final decision point. So who knows? Maybe this can drag on for a few months?

KK84

Reaction score
It can't drag on longer. It's gonna be ridiculously hard to be ready for next season if they move today. If deadlines are pushed back, they'll have to play in Glendale for one more year.

jpetty38

Reaction score
I live in Glendale, and let me tell you there is no support, the city is angry, they don't wanna waste tax money on this team anymore, and no one is turning out to support the team staying. It would take a huge change of heart from both sides to get a deal done tonight, and with how they are talking it seems the team is out for sure. Granted they might move to Quebec not seattle so my hopes are not very high still.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
jpetty38":2gtjuwux said:
I live in Glendale, and let me tell you there is no support, the city is angry, they don't wanna waste tax money on this team anymore, and no one is turning out to support the team staying. It would take a huge change of heart from both sides to get a deal done tonight, and with how they are talking it seems the team is out for sure. Granted they might move to Quebec not seattle so my hopes are not very high still.

Interesting. They've had years to work this thing out, what are the odds they piece together a deal with 9 hours and 13 minutes to go?

Honestly with Seattle's sports curse, they probably will. And they stay. Or this all falls apart and the team moves to Quebec City. I can totally see it.

Then Seattle sports fans can go cry in their IPA's...... AGAIN!

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
If they did move to QC, I just can't wait for the whole "OMG SCREW THE NHL!!!" posts.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seattle has danced with the NHL sooo many times, honestly it's amazing they still don't have an NHL team.

IF any of this happens, and they end up playing in the Key temporarily I think it will be hilarious. Is anyone familiar with the Ackerley’s and their attempts to block the NHL in Seattle?

http://www.seattlehockey.net/Seattle_Ho ... e_NHL.html

Scroll down to the Take 2 section and the Today section.

To see the NHL in the Key would be hilarious after all that!

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
I thought that it was because the city didn't want to come up out the pockets, so Ackerly had to scale back the plan?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Well according to that article, and I've read Bill MacFarland still is pissed. Ackerley sabotaged the whole thing. Like a super criminal mastermind, double crossed them at the last moment. That's some serious Game of Thrones stuff.

Then the Ackerley's re-modeled the Key intentionally too small so the NHL couldn't use it.

They viewed the NHL as competition for their Sonics.

KK84

Reaction score
Well, looks likes pessimism will be rewarded once again. All kinds of 11 th hour bs being pulled out to keep the team in az. Nothing will be known for sure til well after 7, but it doesn't look good for Seattle hockey

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
We just need to get rid of "The Emerald City" and replace it with "The Leverage City."

jpetty38

Reaction score
Looks like they are trying to find a way to save it, but the big deal breaker is the "out" clause of the contract

Not too much support however, i think when i asked a die hard Coyotes fan, and hockey lover even he was not going thinking it would not matter, he felt Hockey was fun to watch but failed, not enough Suite sales, and tickets that are given away for nothing pretty much doomed them. I remember once getting two tickets for free for showing up a radio station booth, not once but three times I got free tickets in the same season.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/lauri ... ze-hockey/

The City Council will decide tonight on just how badly it wants to continue as patsies to professional hockey.

The city has already spent most of its reserves, cut employees and cut services. It’s even contemplating selling city hall to pay off the $30 million or $50 million it already owes the NHL as a result of an earlier shrewd hockey deal.

The city already has one the highest sales taxes in the Valley, so I’m guessing that piling more taxes on its citizens is out. Police and fire, which comprises the bulk of the city’s budget, have already been cut but I suppose you could always hack away some more.

Tonight should be telling as we learn where priorities lie in the city of Glendale.

What a mess.

CPHawk

Reaction score
If they move here they should play 10 games in the rose garden also. It would be an actual NHL arena for one, and two it would be a great way to attract fans down south.