Winfield Tidbit

formido

Reaction score
I don't know who will win the job but I hope Winfield does, because that means that Winfield's playing at least at the same level he did last year, and while Thurmond is awesome, there's no way he's as good as vintage Winfield. Having that package of covering AND run support is practically priceless.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in the camp that Thurmond won't beat Winfield.

1) Winfield is one of the better slot defenders in the NFL. Winfield is better at coverage vs slot WRs than Trufant was presumably from his years of practice with Percy Harvin.

2) Winfield is one part nickel corner, one part nickel linebacker.

3) Forcing Thurmond to stay at 4, will reduce his re-upping cost after this season, that plus his injury history will allow us to retain him on the cheap and we can plug him at Nickel in 2014.

4) As others said, I wouldn't risk extensive playing time for an injury riddled player.

5) And as others said, Thurmond is likely only CB we have that can play in all spots consistently and effectively. Winfield doesn't have the speed to play outside, Sherman and Browner don't possess the quickness to play inside. Thurmond can do it all which makes him key backup to all spots.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2lo5s9ll said:
JSeahawks":2lo5s9ll said:
I think Thurmond beats him out as the primary nickel back. Although we will definitely find some uses for Winfield as well.

I doubt it. Pete'll probably push Winfield to teach Thurmond everything he can while Winfield plays primarily, IMO. Then the next year, Thurmond can step up. Think about the Lawyer Milloy/Kam Chancellor scenario in 2010.

Also, hasn't allowed a touchdown in the last three years? Holy Christ!

As good a guess as any.

Not earth-shattering news, but I have it on good authority that Winfield has lost much of his quickness and speed. He will still make it hard for teams to run at us in the nickel, but if WT3 can show against the run, he could push for playing time.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Having supreme competition can only improve the defense since Thurmond was brought into the conversation.

To me, Thurmond has to prove himself all over again, and Winfield is Steady Eddie, and basically W3 will need to play well and be able to do what he has not so far, which is play.

Atradees

Reaction score
Our nickel d was so bad we couldnt stop 3rd down conversions. Either should be a lil upgrade.
Some teams slow to adjust will still be looking for that instant first down on Trufant.

hawker84

Reaction score
I too don't believe Thurmond starts over Winfield, and after seeing him in the Real Rob report and all the talk about his play during OTA's, i still think he's got it.. At the very least he starts this year at nickle, Thurmond comes in on dimes and/or obvious passing downs... We have good depth at corner, who ever performs the best, will be in there ...

training camp next month, come on baby.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
There are so many things going on with our Seahawks... adding Percy, Bennett, Avril...Is Russell going to continue on with his improvement from the second half of last year... Marshawn's upcoming court case...Bruce's suspension to start the season...Will Clem and Carp be ready to start the season...It was easy to be in the know, but put on the back burner what AW can do for us. If he can play as our coaches hope he can, he will add a spectacular component to our defense.

Go Seahawks.