Winfield Tidbit

ensett

Reaction score
Am I the only one nervous about Winfield? Not only his age, but the stats show that yeah he's great against the run, but he also gives up a huge amount of catches

DavidSeven

Reaction score
ensett":2y100ikr said:
Am I the only one nervous about Winfield? Not only his age, but the stats show that yeah he's great against the run, but he also gives up a huge amount of catches

From the article that OP posted...

"Winfield checked in as the fifth-best cornerback against the pass in the league. Here’s, in part, what PFF wrote about him: “His game is built upon allowing catches for short yardage and making stops in coverage — evidenced by four complete seasons in which he is yet to allow more than 10 yards per reception into his coverage.”

But the most interesting nugget from the site: “It shouldn’t be forgotten that Winfield gets the job done in coverage and hasn’t allowed a touchdown in the past three years.”"

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hasn't allowed a TD in 3 yrs. No 10yds per reception into his area. Yeah I'm not worried

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think Thurmond beats him out as the primary nickel back. Although we will definitely find some uses for Winfield as well.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Isn't Thurmond still in competition for this spot? Even if it is a couple games down the season. I've heard through many of you and other non quotable articles,,, That Thurmond has, so far, looked very very well. He's been injured most of his career and from what Ive heard from others ( http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 65f2c3b446) is , that he is healthy and the sky's the limit.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ihkt9dw said:
I think Thurmond beats him out as the primary nickel back. Although we will definitely find some uses for Winfield as well.
Sorry you beat me to it. LOL

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Thurmond will be key depth for all three CB positions and will probably get game reps, but I can't see him beating out Winfield. The old vet is a game changer. Makes plays all over the field and has the types of unique talents that PC covets.

HawksnDawgs35

Reaction score
JSeahawks":8f4bh79t said:

I highly doubt it. Thurmond is made of glass, every time he gets near the field he breaks.

Subzero717

Reaction score
JSeahawks":24p8pa2j said:

You believe that he is a Duck. No way he beats out Winfield. No way.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3fqv3tkr said:
JSeahawks":3fqv3tkr said:

He's not a Duck. He's a Seahawk. If he was an ex-Husky, with his skill set, I would still think he was going to beat out Winfield. (and I think Winfield is great! This is not a knock on him.)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Disagree with J here. I don't think III will beat out Winfield, he will be used as QUALITY DEPTH to back up the other positions. A good problem to have IMHO.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
dude was ranked a 92 overall on Madden last year. Looking forward to using the Seahawks. No way they keep him at 92 being the third DB. Probably drop to like an 86 or some bullshit

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1fhzqzid said:

I doubt it. Pete'll probably push Winfield to teach Thurmond everything he can while Winfield plays primarily, IMO. Then the next year, Thurmond can step up. Think about the Lawyer Milloy/Kam Chancellor scenario in 2010.

Also, hasn't allowed a touchdown in the last three years? Holy Christ!

Subzero717

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2a0tvdxr said:
CALIHAWK1":2a0tvdxr said:
JSeahawks":2a0tvdxr said:

He's not a Duck. He's a Seahawk. If he was an ex-Husky, with his skill set, I would still think he was going to beat out Winfield. (and I think Winfield is great! This is not a knock on him.)

Once a Duck always a Duck.

Winfield is one of the best CBs in the league and was last year. How all of a sudden is he getting beat out by a guy that has 5? Career starts?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Winfield will get the starts and the bulk of running downs but III will relieve him for passing downs and late in games. That will allow us to use III all over the field to spell both Sherman and Browner while also proving he can handle the rigors of the NFL game field. It will also help to keep Winfield fresh for later in the season and playoffs.

It's pure craziness to consider how much talent we have not only in our backfield but as reliefs as well. This really might be the best backfield ever assembled and we haven't even talked about the rookies. Gotta love it.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Winfield, at the very least, will provide that veteran presence...whatever that means :)