What will Roger do in wake of Hernandez?

mikeak

Reaction score
I am sure Goodell will institute a mandatory 4 game suspension for murderers..........

Seriously - what do you want done? Carruth is in prison to 2018 or something and he was the first and now if Hernandez is convicted never get out.

If you make a rule stating you can't hire players that have ever been in trouble then the NFL gets taken to court and looses their monopoly position. There is nothing that can be done.

The to me MUCH MORE interesting question is what will Godell do if Hernandez comes out looking guilty as HECK but like others gets aquitted and lets say gets convicted for evidence tampering or something gets 3 months in the slammer. Now what does the NFL do?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The Radish":u1zvo2um said:
I don't know what he will do but I'm sure glad someone started a third Hernandez thread.

:141847_bnono:

Well, it's almost to be expected. My initial 6-page one was locked for no reason and conversation moved to one of the newer ones that popped up, despite the initial one still being active. :)

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
mikeak":2zb61yrm said:
I am sure Goodell will institute a mandatory 4 game suspension for murderers..........

Seriously - what do you want done? Carruth is in prison to 2018 or something and he was the first and now if Hernandez is convicted never get out.

If you make a rule stating you can't hire players that have ever been in trouble then the NFL gets taken to court and looses their monopoly position. There is nothing that can be done.

The to me MUCH MORE interesting question is what will Godell do if Hernandez comes out looking guilty as HECK but like others gets aquitted and lets say gets convicted for evidence tampering or something gets 3 months in the slammer. Now what does the NFL do?

Did you read any of the contributions by vols, givensunday, Scotte or myself before adding this gem? I like to think you did not, which is why you added nothing to the actual topic. But, if you read everything and STILL missed the point, well, I salute you sir!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":36ibci57 said:
I'm not duplicating the already existing thread on Hernandez, I see this as a separate issue.

Being the fan of a team full of "characters" I'm a little worried over Il Duce Roger's actions in the wake of the Hernandez news. No doubt about it, he will try and correct this PR skid by over steering, somehow.

I'd think dudes like Irvin will have a MUCH harder time getting drafted from now on. Hernandez had legit draft issues, which may've clued the Pats into his potentially nasty side, so Rog may put out the word "you’re responsible", draft at own peril.

Something’s going to occur, IMO.
Not really sure because teams already know it's a risk. For every Moss or Bryant there could be a Hernandez and with how alot of these players come from the gang culture it is probably going to be more common. Even if I am hoping Hernandez is a massive outlier I have a sneaking suspicion he may not be.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Maybe Roger and friends should help support A Better LA, A Better Seattle and other groups that are geared toward reducing and preventing gang violence. Let's stop the violence before it gets to this level.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
sc85sis":oty34btj said:
Maybe Roger and friends should help support A Better LA, A Better Seattle and other groups that are geared toward reducing and preventing gang violence. Let's stop the violence before it gets to this level.
Very good idea. I wonder if there were a way to suggest to him or the league office or whatnot.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":31cwvnih said:

You need a job? I'd much rather have you than Roger.

I hear the pay's good. And maybe you could fix the inherent scheduling biased Pete has to overcome here? I'll write a reference letter, if you’d like?

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":344yubgz said:
mikeak":344yubgz said:

Did you read any of the contributions by vols, givensunday, Scotte or myself before adding this gem? I like to think you did not, which is why you added nothing to the actual topic. But, if you read everything and STILL missed the point, well, I salute you sir!

I read them but clearly you didn't read mine before writing a pissy post about it. I stated that Godell will do nothing in my opinion. He CANNOT LEGALLY come out and say not to hire these guys like you think he will. If it came out that Godell had forced NFL teams not to hire people that had a questionable past the league would be sued by many players claiming they didn't get hired because of this. They have a federal exemption that if challenged in court could be removed. This was already partially close to happening in the Maurice Clarett cause where he won the original lawsuit about being allowed to enter the draft only having played one year in college.

MY reply to your specific quotes which were the following: "I'm a little worried over Il Duce Roger's actions", "so Rog may put out the word "you’re responsible", draft at own peril", "He WILL do something.", "We may never know of it, but, IMO its going to happen."

is that he won't do anything more than already done. The patriots are taking a $10 million something cap hit over this and next year. The draft at your own peril is already a fact. You spend the draft pick, you loose the money you commit to these guys. Look at the Bengals - how many players did they have arrested in one freaking offseason a few years ago? Nothing happened. This isn't the NCAA - they teams pay the price on and off the field when these things happen. You can't say don't draft citizens that as far as we know it are law abiding. You can say - bad dudes get suspended which happened to Vick, Pacman etc - that is done already said.

You think anyone would hire a murderer if they knew???? The commish doesn't need to say anything and he won't.

If the NFL started hiring only kids without any problems ever in their background the level of play would go down significantly and the CFL would be fielding better teams within one year. Look at honeybadger - come on don't tell me the flags aren't there. Don't tell me Arizona doesn't know 4 games the first time he gets caught, season next and third possibly after that. Yet they draft him and they draft him relatively high

My question remains - what happens to Hernandez if he beats this in court. Which team signs him and what does Godell say. Now that will be extremely interesting if it happens.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Let's just hope that situation never happens what a fiasco if it did. Luckily it looks like a piece of bubble gum may be his undoing.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Roger will ban all NFL players from having tattoos or firearms as they "send the wrong message" to the fanbase.

Basis4day

Reaction score
pehawk":3hvxfr7m said:
sc85sis":3hvxfr7m said:

You need a job? I'd much rather have you than Roger.

I hear the pay's good. And maybe you could fix the inherent scheduling biased Pete has to overcome here? I'll write a reference letter, if you’d like?

Really wish Paul Allen had a say in whether or not to keep Goodell. :sarcasm_off:

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Okay mikeak, maybe I was being pissy.

But, Roger's already levying suspensions outside of any due process and the legal system. The MOST agregious example was Terrelle Pryor. Roger suspended him for things he did before he got into the NFL. He suspended Big Ben for what, 8 games, on charges which we're eventually dropped. He levied suspensions and fines for Bountygate with very little, and mostly circumstancial evidence. That was ALL done with the NFL's PR and image in mind, nothing else.

I personally dont like any of those suspensions, but thats really beside the point. I think something will occur. Especially with rubes like Limbaugh, Rivera and Fox News hopping on the bandwagon about the NFL's "culture". Those are some POWERFUL voices, and Roger will take notice, IMO.

Off-topic, I am looking to trade my Ray Carruth jersey for a Hernandez. Any takers?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":dgtdvq5s said:

But, Roger's already levying suspensions outside of any due process and the legal system. The MOST agregious example was Terrelle Pryor. Roger suspended him for things he did before he got into the NFL. He suspended Big Ben for what, 8 games, on charges which we're eventually dropped. He levied suspensions and fines for Bountygate with very little, and mostly circumstancial evidence. That was ALL done with the NFL's PR and image in mind, nothing else.

I personally dont like any of those suspensions, but thats really beside the point. I think something will occur. Especially with rubes like Limbaugh, Rivera and Fox News hopping on the bandwagon about the NFL's "culture". Those are some POWERFUL voices, and Roger will take notice, IMO.

Off-topic, I am looking to trade my Ray Carruth jersey for a Hernandez. Any takers?
Roger will continue to push the limits of his power until he goes to far and pisses off the 31 owners a bit too much. It is the inevitable outcome of all puppet despots.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, good call Scotte. It'll be some sort of Woody Hayes moment; but within a verbal/CBA context. Housewife Hips Harbaugh will have the literal Woody Hayes moment.

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":30admf7z said:

I agree but there are some "missed" facts in two of those suspensions

1) Pryor - I 100% agree that NCAA suspensions shouldn't be tied to the NFL BUT the concern was that college players would start getting themselves suspended and into the supplemental draft as a "reward".

2) Big Ben admitted to serving alcohol to underage girls at the night of the event. Technicality yes but guilty

3)Bountygate. To me way to severe suspensions but pay for performance is not allowed regardless of intent to injure. That is well known and included in Tagliabue's report yet no suspensions. Didn't make sense 1-2 games would have been fine in my book.

Goodell isn't doing anything that isn't 100% agreed upon by the owners. They can replace him at any time. Popularity and money is going straight up. The next tv deal will be unreal and that is what matters at the end of the day (to the owners).

Hernandez was most likely a really bad dude that happened to be good at football. There will be more like him you just need to try to weed them out.....

IronSaint

Reaction score
Goodell is a weasel, and with the new CBA, he has all the power he wants and some to spare. Sickening. Hernandez probably won't face any disciplinary action once, and if, he returns. The NFL plays favorites, we all know this.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would guess that close to 30 maybe 40 percent of players have had associations or a checkered past of sorts, if you blanket statement that you are ineligible for the NFL if you have any felony convictions, drug convictions, or physical altercations, or domestic violence, how many players would we have in the league.

One thing is, if Hernandez is found not guilty how big is the lawsuit he files against the Patriots, Kraft and the NFL going to be.

At least the Ravens hedged thier bets with Lewis able to go what ever way needed. Supporting him in the public as a team mate but admonishing the situation and supporting the victems of the tragedy.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hernandez doesn't have a case against the NFL for being "fired". Like most of us at-will-employees can get fired / the CBA has rules about breaking contracts for teams.

Now if he is deemed not guilty and then not picked up by any team / suspended then he has a case for collusion / unfair treatment.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It surprises me how many people think NFL penalties are equivalent to a court of law. They're not. Proof doesn't need to exist for many things, or be proven beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of the player's peers, or anything like that. What part of the "if you even look bad in the media, we can slap your wrist" policy that the NFLPA and players agree to do you not understand?