Hmmm...close call with Harvin (DUI)

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1auo93p1 said:
TheWebHead":1auo93p1 said:
Looks like a lot of people saw this going down, considering it's mid-day along the freeway... Some tweets at https://twitter.com/gabrielmsmith (the guy he got the info from had a locked account w/ a SF Giants avatar!) well before it was reported by Danny. Gotta wonder if DWB was going on. If it was suspected of smoking pot because of red eyes, I have chronic dry eyes and give a similar appearance so I sympathize.

I have red dry eyes when I'm high. Or when I swim. I drive after swimming sometimes. Not all the time.

I can't believe you would do something so dangerous.....I mean c'mon, smoking while you are swimming can be extremely dangerous.

muxpux

Reaction score
its supposed to be legal to drive under .08. It isnt a zero tolerance policy. At least not legally. no idea on team or league rules. i doubt it though. ive been hassled after admitting to a couple beers, and then "not doing too well" on a field sobriety. then blowing .02. also, ive had an ex be detained after blowing a .06something. they took her to the station to blow on the big machine since PBTs arent usually submissable in court, as they are subject to bad readings.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Interesting that Danny or someone at 710 deleted the story, there could be some journalism ethics on reporting on when people are brought in but not charged for a crime, especially when the radio station is the home of the Seahawks

Bremwahawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":18ys1i1t said:
Cartire":18ys1i1t said:
Speaking of Flying Greg, were moving back to Oak Harbor in November. VAQ 142.

Off-topic, but Im excited. China Lake blows.

Cool beans. I'm at 129.

VAQ-129 was my first Command back in 1977. That's what brought me out west and it was the same year I met and fell in love with my Seahawks. Been a fan ever since.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Cartire":xuqnzici said:
formido":xuqnzici said:
Cartire":xuqnzici said:

Boy does it ever. I went to high school in Ridgecrest.

A Burrohs lad? You poor soul.
Had a buddy that lived there for years. Went and visited him once. Once.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
muxpux":bvo61dy3 said:
....... ive been hassled after admitting to a couple beers, and then "not doing too well" on a field sobriety. then blowing .02.......
Had the EXACT same thing happen to me with the EXACT same .02 blown at the end. Prick kept telling me all of it was "voluntary" but if I declined his invitation to do the dance and then the second one to blow, he'd have my motorcycle towed (like a $300 fee to get it out, right?) and haul me in to use the machine at the station. Not exactly "voluntary" eh?

I told a'hole when he pulled me over (a very brief speed up to about 15 over the limit and then right back down to the limit.....didn't know he was behind me as he was unmarked) that I had ONE beer which was true. (I NEVER have more than one cuz I like the stronger IPAs and I am not interested in any DUI action or hurting anyone, etc.) Anyway, about 2/3 of the way through the dance routine (which I'm having a bit of a hard time with cuz I'm doing it in freaking motorcycle boots), I start thinking to myself "wait a minute, I truly had one beer and there's no way I fail a breathalyzer". So I start getting kinda pissed and start to mess with the guy, you know asking about 10 questions, etc.

So then he breaks out the portable breathalyzer, tells me it's also voluntary so I say "oh OK, no thanks then I'll just go now" knowing full well that ain't gonna happen. He gives me the "I'll have to tow you're bike" spiel again, so I ask him how I did on the dance routine he says "marginal". So I say "but I passed, right?" and he says "barely". So I say again, "we'll I'm gonna go home then". Again he says he'll have my bike towed and haul me down to the station as my only option outside of blowing into his field breathalyzer. So I finally agree to do it knowing full well I'm gonna pass with flying colors but about halfway through my blow I stop to ask him some inane question I've long forgotten and at that point he's starting to turn red from being so pissed that I'm screwing with him but doing so in a completely polite fashion by asking a lot of questions, etc. Finally I blow all the way through. He looks at and just says "you can go" but by now I'm having so much fun I real sweetly ask, "well, what were the results sir?" and mumbles ".02" and just gets in his car and leaves. And I still love telling the story 4 years later too.

Cartire

Reaction score
muxpux":28buiw73 said:
its supposed to be legal to drive under .08. It isnt a zero tolerance policy. At least not legally. no idea on team or league rules. i doubt it though. ive been hassled after admitting to a couple beers, and then "not doing too well" on a field sobriety. then blowing .02. also, ive had an ex be detained after blowing a .06something. they took her to the station to blow on the big machine since PBTs arent usually submissable in court, as they are subject to bad readings.

Actually, if you are driving erratically, or swerving or whatever, a cop can still cite you with a DUI even if between a .01-.08

Courts can later rule against it if they want.

Jiggy

Reaction score
Cartire":39kfmpcr said:
muxpux":39kfmpcr said:

Actually, if you are driving erratically, or swerving or whatever, a cop can still cite you with a DUI even if between a .01-.08

This... It's .08 OR at the officers discretion.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Cartire":tiy6usod said:
muxpux":tiy6usod said:

Wouldn't the charge be reckless driving in a case of .01-.04 I watch a lot of Cops and Law and Order. I'm pretty sure.

Ruminator

Reaction score
This was years ago (I'm pushing 50 now) but I've twice been pulled over simply for erratic driving. First was a so-so deserved ticket for reckless driving when I was in my 20s visiting Seattle (from Spokane) and I thought I was simply driving the way a good portion of all Seattleites drove -- 10 mph over the speed limit and frequent lane changes. The second was another year, back in Spokane, late at night when I was driving somewhat erratically. But with good reason. Going down I-90, I was communicating with a friend/passenger, and being that both our hearing impairments are severe enough that we cannot simply talk while looking straight ahead relying solely on our ears, engaging in lip reading and gestures proved not conductive to straight and controlled driving -- which eventually caught the cop's eye. Point is, cops definitely have an eagle eye for anything remotely erratic out on the roads.

Cartire

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2bti5nn2 said:
Cartire":2bti5nn2 said:
muxpux":2bti5nn2 said:

Wouldn't the charge be reckless driving in a case of .01-.04 I watch a lot of Cops and Law and Order. I'm pretty sure.

Officers discretion. They can still give you a field sobriety test. And if you fail that, they can chalk the reckless driving up to DUI. Its not a perfect system, but the state recognizes that some peoples tolerance to alcohol is different. .08 is a standard, your screwed if your over it regardless. Otherwise, below it, its up to the officer to decide.

mikeak

Reaction score
Ruminator":1napn7vb said:
This was years ago (I'm pushing 50 now) but I've twice been pulled over simply for erratic driving. First was a so-so deserved ticket for reckless driving when I was in my 20s visiting Seattle (from Spokane) and I thought I was simply driving the way a good portion of all Seattleites drove -- 10 mph over the speed limit and frequent lane changes. The second was another year, back in Spokane, late at night when I was driving somewhat erratically. But with good reason. Going down I-90, I was communicating with a friend/passenger, and being that both our hearing impairments are severe enough that we cannot simply talk while looking straight ahead relying solely on our ears, engaging in lip reading and gestures proved not conductive to straight and controlled driving -- which eventually caught the cop's eye. Point is, cops definitely have an eagle eye for anything remotely erratic out on the roads.

"But with good reason" - yep I am sure this convinced the cop that you should be able to be all over the place........

Guys don't forget that Harvin did test positive on the combine for marijuana. From the article

"Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin was pulled over on Interstate 405 today due to license plate and tinted window violations. In the course of the traffic stop, the officer suspected marijuana use, and arrested Harvin for investigation of DUI."

This is not good for the next few months. Need Percy to stop smoking / have friends in the car smoking

hawker84

Reaction score
Officers discretion. They can still give you a field sobriety test. And if you fail that, they can chalk the reckless driving up to DUI. Its not a perfect system, but the state recognizes that some peoples tolerance to alcohol is different. .08 is a standard, your screwed if your over it regardless. Otherwise, below it, its up to the officer to decide.

It wouldn't be reckless driving, it would be negligent driving.. At the higher degrees it carries some of the same penalties of a dui just not as harsh.. Can be still considered an alcohol/drug related offense on your record. But you're right, completely at the officers discretion

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Bremwahawk":3436eivn said:
FlyingGreg":3436eivn said:
Cartire":3436eivn said:

Cool beans. I'm at 129.

VAQ-129 was my first Command back in 1977. That's what brought me out west and it was the same year I met and fell in love with my Seahawks. Been a fan ever since.

very cool!

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Cartire":om4bogi5 said:

Yep - this.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":2chckqzo said:
I see a comment on that page saying he looked high on draft day. Does this guy not know that this is WASHINGTON... He can be high if he wants

Whether you can legally drive high is still up for debate.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":7c1h3exl said:
nIdahoSeahawk":7c1h3exl said:
I see a comment on that page saying he looked high on draft day. Does this guy not know that this is WASHINGTON... He can be high if he wants

Whether you can legally drive high is still up for debate.
NFL players are not allowed to BE high. Period. It is part of their contract and part of the League's collective bargaining agreement. Doesn't matter what state he plays in.

Hell, he can't fly to Amsterdam today and get perfectly legally stoned and fly back to Seattle next week and fail an NFL drug test.