What are the best places in Seattle? From a Californian

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Despite being a Hawk fan, I've never been to Seattle for all intents and purposes.
    I was thinking about taking a road trip up from Sacramento and seeing the Pacific North West. My time span would be 3-5 days, and have about 250$ to 300$ of cash.

What I'm looking for is-
    Best Nature Spots
    Best restaurants
    Anything that's cool to see in Seattle
    fsmassey
    NET Practice Squad

• If you've never been to Seattle you have to see the Pike Place Market.

If you're watching money there are lots of places we visit frequently when we go there. The Fremont District and the Fremont Troll are popular spots that cost nothing but transportation to the place.

Another is the Hiram Chittenden Locks (good luck with my spelling there), mostly called the Ballard Locks. That's the place all the pleasure boats and fishing fleets for the most part get from the inner harbor to the sea. If you're lucky like I was once you can catch the Dangerous Catch guys heading for Dutch Harbor. Also a fine fish ladder viewing room.

Right down the road from there is Shilshole Bay Marina where you can see about any kind of boat you ever wondered about. The fuel dock there is where John Wayne used to tie up the Wild Goose when he visited for Sea Fair Week.

Follow on down that road to a great public beach where you will see anything from sun bathers to Kite Surfers. Then follow the road up the hill to see some of the best scenery out over the sound.

Kerry Park up Queen Anne Hill from downtown, http://www.yelp.com/biz/kerry-park-seattle for the views you see in pictures and post cards advertising Seattle.

All those you can do without spending anything but gas.

Hope you have a great trip. We have kids in Seattle and have been visiting for years, love the place. If you want to stay downtown near the Stadiums visit the International District for some of the best food in the world. And if you do that find Uwagimaya's one of the most unique stores anywhere. Check out the rice cookers up in one corner from $9.00 to near $700. Again its a great place to just walk around and grocerys from around the world and a terrific food court representing many area of the world.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• fsmassey wrote:Despite being a Hawk fan, I've never been to Seattle for all intents and purposes.
    I was thinking about taking a road trip up from Sacramento and seeing the Pacific North West. My time span would be 3-5 days, and have about 250$ to 300$ of cash.

What I'm looking for is-
    Best Nature Spots
    Best restaurants
    Anything that's cool to see in Seattle

If you like to hike and take in some scenery, I'd recommend this one. You can actually jump/dive off of the falls into a nice pool below. Great summer excursion.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-repor ... 8727140543
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Space Needle, downtown, and Seattle Music Museum (has some Nirvana gear there). I'd say stay away from Pioneer Square, but it's your call. I like the Rogue River (Oregon). Camp there if you can on the way up, or way back. Also the Red Woods in Northern California and Lake Shasta is awesome (California). Restaurants don't know, Round Table Pizza?!?! Weed is not just a city in California, it is a legal substance in Washington.
    mikehawks
    NET Rookie

• EMP is mandatory

Aquarium

Alki beach is cool when the weather is nice

Pike place market. Its touristy but you knid of have to.

Ballard

Ride the Ducks!!!!

Steaks- metropolitan (fine dining)
    Seafood- Crab Pot (casual)
    Burgers- Buckleys
    Dive Bar- Too many to name.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• If you're going to be a tourist be a tourist and do it!

Pike Place and the gum wall
    Underground Tour
    Ride the Duck
    Monorail
    Space Needle
    EMP
    Take a ferry ride
    Fremont troll

There's also some beautiful parks, bring a picnic and enjoy the views, Lincoln Park and Alki Beach in West Seattle
    Discovery Park in Magnolia
    Golden Gardens in Ballard
    Carkeek Park

Also if you're a Bruce Lee fan, you can visit his and Brandons grave
    Jimi Hendrix's grave
    Check out Kurt Cobains old house and the bench

That should keep you busy!
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Perfect place to ask this question, thank you for the responses guys.

Also, Bruce Lee's grave in Seattle? Wow. Now I'm just jealous.
    fsmassey
    NET Practice Squad

• Also if you want a Seattleite experience, you have to eat a bag of Dick's
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Lincoln Park, West Seattle.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• twisted_steel2 wrote:Also if you want a Seattleite experience, you have to eat a bag of Dick's

No you don't. They are disgusting. If you have ever had In & Out you'll vomit. Besides everyone knows the best Dicks on earth are from Spokane.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:Also if you want a Seattleite experience, you have to eat a bag of Dick's

No you don't. They are disgusting. If you have ever had In & Out you'll vomit. Besides everyone knows the best Dicks on earth are from Spokane.

Strangely enough I agree with this.

for many years until just last year on this forum I had always thought the Seattle and Spokane Dick's were owned by the same people.

Signs are similar but they are different. The Dick's burgers at Spokane seem better and less greasy than the ones in Seattle. Now I've only tried the one that is on the street between Greenwood Blvd and 15th Northwest. Its ok but I agree ours here are better.

Nice to know something is better here. I can tell you that I've never had good Thai food in Spokane and have tried about a dozen places. I just wait till we visit Seattle and go out to West Seattle and visit Budda Ruksa.

p.s. Anytime someone tries to tell me I would prefer pod thai a red color is sadly mistaken.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Don't listen to them fsmassey! Like our Seahawks, great things always have haters! ;)

PS This is such a familiar conversation I know we've had this discussion before in here, I couldn't find the old thread though. Dick's is one of those places you 'get' or you don't. I have very fond memories of going there as a kid. And a lot of fond memories there late at night with my buddies after hitting the bars. Whether you personally like the burgers or not, it is a Seattle institution. We can all name a better burger, for me Red Mill or Skillet, but I still love a bag of Dick's, it's even funny to say!

Don't believe me it's a Seattle institution? Even the website has a section where people post their memories.

http://www.ddir.com/memories

And look at Esquire:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-m ... in-7210891

When we asked Eat Like a Man readers to name the most life-changing burger joint in a poll last week, we kinda figured the honor would go to one of the bigger chains: Steak 'n Shake, In-N-Out, Five Guys. The others were just outnumbered. Instead, the winner by a huge margin, with 56% of the votes, was Seattle-based Dick's Drive-In, which inspired more vocal burger love than any other place

So when someone asks what to do in Seattle? I think Dick's should be in the conversation. Just to even say you've been there.

PSS Get a Deluxe, fries, chocolate shake and 2 tartars. Only $6.45
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I like dick's fries better than IN and OUT, but the In and OUT double double is better than any dick's burger

Back to the original topic, the museum of flight at Boeing field is pretty kick ass!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• If you've got the time and ability to drive out a ways, you might also want to consider doing Mt. Rainier, or maybe doing the Snoqualmie-Stevens pass loop, through Wenatchee and Levenworth. Great drive, and I'd put Levenworth up high on the list of things to do and see in the Seattle area. Of course, this is a better bit of advice during the summer months.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Dick's in Seattle has the best milkshakes in existence, IMO.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• If you go to Leavenworth, get up into Icicle Canyon.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• RolandDeschain wrote:Dick's in Seattle has the best milkshakes in existence, IMO.

That's only because you've never been to Doyle's in Spokane.

Best ice cream in existence.

:th2thumbs:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• In 'N Out is an average burger at best. A Dick's Deluxe ruins that shit (even the hidden menu items).
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• The Radish wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Dick's in Seattle has the best milkshakes in existence, IMO.

That's only because you've never been to Doyle's in Spokane.

Best ice cream in existence.

:th2thumbs:

With how many different food places you've pimped in Spokane, I'm starting to believe none of them. :P
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Doyle's is ok but every time I go I wait forever. My favorite place in Spokane was Lindaman's. That and Jack & Dan's.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Dick's in Seattle has the best milkshakes in existence, IMO.

YEP! Everytime I go to Seattle I never leave without getting my hands on some Dick's.

Also, Paseo makes some mean grub.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• When the wife and I come up in September, we will head to two pizza places. Pegasus in alki, and NEAPOLIS In lake Stevens.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• If you want a good burger while in Seattle hit up Bob's Burger and Brew, Blazing Onion, Red Mill Burger or Kidd Valley... in that order.

Plus we do have some of the best seafood in the nation.

Food, food, food!
    Owner and operator of "Oof Studios" in South Everett WA
    http://www.facebook.com/OofStudios
    http://www.OofStudios.com
    Oof
    NET Rookie

• SonicHawk wrote:In 'N Out is an average burger at best. A Dick's Deluxe ruins that shit (even the hidden menu items).

You are way wrong my friend and the masses have spoken.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I wouldn't say it's an average burger at best, but it's DAMNED sure overrated. Red Mill smokes In N' Out.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Largent80 wrote:When the wife and I come up in September, we will head to two pizza places. Pegasus in alki, and NEAPOLIS In lake Stevens.

Pegasus changed owners. Not that great.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:When the wife and I come up in September, we will head to two pizza places. Pegasus in alki, and NEAPOLIS In lake Stevens.

Well, there ya go, I leave and the place goes to shit.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Way to be a dick and ruin our pizza joints, Largent.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Have you guys tried Skillet? I've gotten their burgers off the food truck, but finally made it to the diner. Wow.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:Have you guys tried Skillet? I've gotten their burgers off the food truck, but finally made it to the diner. Wow.

Yeah, there brunch is absolutely incredible. I always seemed to have woken up from a great night of drinking and eat at Skillet. Fantastic.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:When the wife and I come up in September, we will head to two pizza places. Pegasus in alki, and NEAPOLIS In lake Stevens.

Well, there ya go, I leave and the place goes to shit.

Is this the same as the Pegasus on 85th in Kirkland? If so, did the owner of all the franchises change, or just the Alki one? I have never been there, wondering if I should still check out the Kirkland one.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Also, "Dick's is the place where the cool hang out..." I dropped a 20 once and didn't even miss.

Do the duck..it's lame when I get stuck behind one; but It's cool...great views from Lake Union and it's fun I guess.
    Discovery Park(free), Ft Lawton is there, it's where soldiers embarked to the Pacific. Lots of cool old Govt buildings there and active Navy still live there in some beautiful period housing (lucky bastards!).
    Definitely go to Pioneer Square...not sure why you wouldn't, it's old Seattle, it's where Church is and you can do the Underground tour which is relatively cheap and pretty cool.
    Fremont's fun; but on the cheap just check out Lenin statue and the Troll, other than that it's just a bunch of bars and fixies. I second the locks, go on the Magnolia side though. You can check out Fisherman's terminal first, then drive down commodore to the locks(fish windows are on the Magnolia side, then you can walk across to the Ballard side if you want, also this is close to Discovery park, PM if you want more clear directions, you could do all three in an afternoon this way). Might as well see Snoqualmie Falls if you have a car, it's pretty impressive when the snow's melting.

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Do the Ducks skip the Dicks.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Go to one of the many outstanding seafood restaurants in the area and indulge. Do Ivars on the Pier, check out Salty's on Alki, Anthony's in Des Moines(not Kirkland), the list goes on.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

:D
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information