Second favorite team

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Second favorite team
Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm
  • I grew up watching the Bears in the 70s and 80s, so I still have a soft spot for them. I'm really curious to see if Mark Trestman can turn that team around. I also tend to just follow the USC alums on their various NFL teams.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 pm
  • Cleveland Browns. I don't know why, but I've always rooted for them (along with Seattle of course) ever since I can remember. Its probably because they've always sucked and have given me no reason to dislike them. No douchey players, or stuff like that. Also had a friend who was a die-hard Browns fan, so there's that too.
    "I'm better at life than you." -Richard Sherman
    "The separation is in the preparation" -Russell Wilson
    OreIdahawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm
  • Whomever is playing the Forty ninnies, *allas, and the Stealers!
    ....and yes I'm down with name calling! :th2thumbs:

* = D, there is no "D" in Dallas anymore!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 pm
  • I don't really have a second favorite team.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 pm
  • Having lived in SD for over 30 years I've developed a soft spot for the Chargers. Especially since we're not in the same division anymore.
    Sonichellboy
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 pm
  • I have about 4 second favorite teams that I will usually cheer for when they're not playing the Seahawks. My sons favorite teams are the Chiefs and the Bucs, I have no idea why, I've tried to indoctrinate them with only Seahawks stuff since they were tiny babies, but they grew up liking those teams for some reason? My brothers favorite team is the Colts, and I grew up to my Dad being a Raiders fan...
    ...but it's literally like this:

#1 Seahawks

#2. Chiefs, Raiders, Colts, and Bucs.

#30. Every other team
    #31. Steelers
    #32. 49ers
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:11 pm
  • Don't really have a second team but if I did I have always "liked" the Patriots, mainly because as many of you recall.. in the early 90's they were the team that was as shitty as we were.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:27 pm
  • The Hawks are the only team I care about. But I have plenty of love for anyone who beats the 39ers.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:30 pm
  • Sonichellboy wrote:Having lived in SD for over 30 years I've developed a soft spot for the Chargers. Especially since we're not in the same division anymore.

Living here gives me ample chance to talk/hear about them as well and I dont have anything against them except that piggy face Rivers makes when hes bitching at people...its just the uninformed apathetic fans that bug me
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:57 pm
  • Former 49er fan. Turned Seahawk last year at about mid through the season. Seahawks number one. SF was first love. But now in a monogamous relationship with the 12th man. Actually, SF is what got me noticing Seattle in the first place.

What other teams do I oggle?
    Raiders and fun to watch and root for, because they fail without fail.
    Broncos are cool, because Colorado is cool.

Buccaneers, Vikings, Rams, sometimes the Dolphins, are my favorite flings. Mostly because they are teams that struggle with winning records, yet are still contenders for at least wild cards, but don't get undeserved attention from media. I like those kinds of teams.

Nobody beats Seattle though. Coolest city, young team with character and heart. Best running back ever, messiah for a quarterback, a genius defensive back who will battle his wits and skills against the best, tons of great guys that fill the roster, a philanthropist/philosophic guru for a coach,

....and the best fans in the NFL.
    So as long as we don't succumb to hubris
    fsmassey
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 pm
  • Welcome to the GOOD side fsm
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:52 pm
  • dunceface wrote:
    Sonichellboy wrote:Having lived in SD for over 30 years I've developed a soft spot for the Chargers. Especially since we're not in the same division anymore.

Living here gives me ample chance to talk/hear about them as well and I dont have anything against them except that piggy face Rivers makes when hes bitching at people...its just the uninformed apathetic fans that bug me

I've always sort of liked the Chargers since back when Dan Fouts was slingin for em but Philip Rivers is ultra-douche 3300.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 pm
  • I am a 100% Seahawk fan, but I did root hard for the Saints the year they won the Superbowl. Always have been a fan of Drew Brees.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:22 pm
  • All Seahawks for me. But I had some close calls...

Born in Cali, my earliest football memories are of Raiders, Chargers, and Niners. I left when I was 6. Never got attached.
    Moved to St. Louis. The Cardinals were there, then they left when I was in junior high. Never got attached.
    Left St. Louis just before the Rams moved in. I was happy for the town to get a Lombardi Trophy, but I was long gone. Never got attached.
    Moved to Seattle, briefly. It was a weird year. The Seahawks were still in the AFC.
    Moved to Kansas City. Watched Chiefs games with friends. Elvis Grbac didn't do it for me. Schottenheimer choosing Grbac over Gannon really didn't do it for me. Never got attached.
    Moved back to Seattle at first opportunity. I decided the Seahawks would be my NFL team forever. For better or worse. Around the clock!
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 am
  • Growing up in Seattle in the 90's you obviously had the home town teams to support and always did, but I, like many others took to players in sports and liked the teams accrodingly

Thurman Thomas was my football hero.....Bills were my favourite team out with Seattle
    Kevin Johnson was my basketball hero: Loved the Phoneix Suns (can you believe that now with the whole Sacramento thing...ughhhhhh)
    Daryll Strawberry was my baseball hero (out with Griffey) and had a soft spot for the mets & dodgers

Now a days I dont really like other teams except our hawks. I tend to support teams playing agaisnt teams I dont like, such as any opponents of the patriots, steelers or niners
    glasgow seahawks
    NET Starter

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:05 am
  • As I've said before I'm a Seahawks fan but not an NFL fan.

I had my favorites through the years from the late 50s till now but its getting like baseball, very hard to like the sport. I do pay a small bit of attention to the 'Boys only because my former boss/O'Reilly's store manager and I still talk football and he has never outgrown them.

You can imagine we've had some interesting conversations through the years. lol

When the Seahawks are done playing the football season is over, never watch another game and have only watched one SB since about the 25th. Up to then I used to be able to tell you who won every game.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 am
  • I don't have a 2nd "favorite" team that I root for, but there are, and have been other teams that I have liked to see do well (as long as it doesn't affect the 'hawks in some negative way). I've always liked seeing Cleveland win, and hopefully one of these days they'll be a winner. I always half-heartedly rooted for the L.A. Rams. My dad is from LA, and that was his team. And also my uncle worked for them (he was a doctor/surgeon for them). Once they moved to St. Louis I stopped rooting for them altogether. I would love for them to move back to LA where they belong.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:04 am
  • The only other team I rooted for in the NFL were the Redskins when Zorn became their HC. But not anymore.

I also used to root for the now defunct Everett Hawks of the NIFL/AFL2. Used to get season tickets sit in the bar and have tons of fun.

But now there can only be one... CACAW!
    Owner and operator of "Oof Studios" in South Everett WA
    http://www.facebook.com/OofStudios
    http://www.OofStudios.com
    Oof
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:41 am
  • I guess if there was a team I would prefer to win more than anyone else not named Seahawks it would be the Dolphins. I loved the Seahawks growing up but the thing that really sucked me into loving football was watching Dan Marino throw the ball around. at the time (late 80s/early 90s) the dolphins seemed to be on TV a lot since Marino was the Petyon Manning of the time. Unless they are playing us, I always pull for the Dolphins, makes it even easier to do so ever since we moved to the NFC.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 am
  • If there were no Seahawks then it would probably be Ravens. I also would like to see the Bills improve. That team/organization is long over due for some success.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:35 am
  • Theres no 2nd favorite team. I love football but tend to not watch near as emotionally when other teams are playing. Its the Hawks or no one. BUT I find its more a matter whom I dislike the most.
    #1 Steelers
    #2 Cowboys
    #3 Niners
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:40 am
  • samwize77 wrote:Theres no 2nd favorite team. I love football but tend to not watch near as emotionally when other teams are playing. Its the Hawks or no one. BUT I find its more a matter whom I dislike the most.
    #1 Steelers
    #2 Cowboys
    #3 Niners

i get your list but I would put the 9ers above the cowboys, until the cowboys stop being a joke.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:50 am
  • My family is from Cleveland, so the Browns. That fan base has to deal with so much failure, year after year, and they remain so crazily devoted. It's all anyone talks about in Cleveland. People would be thrilled with an 8-8 season.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am
  • I dont have a 2nd favorite team, but I have a bunch of teams that I hate and root against all the time. 49ers, stealers, Oakland, broncos , the rams, the jets are just a few off the top of my head.
    FDNYHAWK
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:56 am
  • There isn't one for me. But I rooted for the pack with Brett Favre.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 am
  • I'll chime in. Seahawks have always been my favorite team. I did root for other teams in the 70's and 80's as a kid, but not as my favorite team. Just for enjoyment watching the game of football. There are always teams one loves to hate, too, which makes it more exciting when not watching the Seahawks. I did play FFB for a couple of years. Though it was fun and I was successful at it, I stopped playing because of how it started changing the way I watched the game. Just not for me. I'd rather root FOR the Seahawks and against any team that stands in their way.

I have no so-called "2nd Favorite". But, I will say that the other teams I will root for are my 2 youngest boys teams. They've played for 4 different tackle leagues. One will be in high school next fall. The association they played in this spring and will again this fall wears NFL team helmets, etc. It wasn't too bad in the spring, but this fall I'm going to have to say, "Go _ _ _ _ _ _ " for 2 games each Saturday. Maybe I'll say, "Go Blue" or something like that. It will be worth it because they will be playing for a more elite team. (There are no Seahawks teams anywhere in our area... or we might move in order to play for such a team. ;) ) My younger son (who was the star RB for his spring team) understands the difficulty. He's thinking of putting a Seahawks logo on the inside of his helmet or something like that. He actually asked if he could wear Skittles cleats! Even the mere sentiment for him to say such things is enough to bring a grown man to tears.
    Last edited by TeamoftheCentury on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:18 am
  • The LA Kings are my second favorite team.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:48 am
  • The Bills of the late 80's are what got me watching football in the first place, so I always have a soft spot for them. I try to keep an eye on what they're doing. Thurman Thomas was my favorite player growing up. I hope one day they are able to finally replace Jim Kelly....
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:10 pm
  • I have a few players I root for, like Drew Brees or any other Boilermaker, but no second favorite team. Before I was introduced to the Seahawks in the late 70s, my favorite team was the Dolphins, but any love I had for Miami went away during that game where the Dolphins beat the Hawks at Husky Stadium after Holmgren went for 3 even though he was down by 4.
    Boiler
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:59 pm
  • Chargers are my #2. First time I saw them on a color TV in like 1966 (yes, I am that old) I immediately fell in love with them because of the powder blue jerseys, gold lightening bolts, etc. Berman says those are the best unis in the history of sports and I agree. Living down there for 13 years cemented my enjoyment of them. #3 Packers and Raiders. They all go back to the 60s when there were no Seahawks of course and once the Hawks came into existence those three all took a very, very distant backseat to them.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Chargers are my #2. First time I saw them on a color TV in like 1966 (yes, I am that old) I immediately fell in love with them because of the powder blue jerseys, gold lightening bolts, etc. Berman says those are the best unis in the history of sports and I agree. Living down there for 13 years cemented my enjoyment of them. #3 Packers and Raiders. They all go back to the 60s when there were no Seahawks of course and once the Hawks came into existence those three all took a very, very distant backseat to them.

I have never been able to get the amount of love that the "baby blanket blue" uniforms get. Baby blue on white? That's supposed to look good? They look like they're getting all snuggled up for naptime, not getting ready for a football game. That uniform just screams "push me down and take my lunch money because I'm a giant pussy" to me.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:23 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Chargers are my #2. First time I saw them on a color TV in like 1966 (yes, I am that old) I immediately fell in love with them because of the powder blue jerseys, gold lightening bolts, etc. Berman says those are the best unis in the history of sports and I agree. Living down there for 13 years cemented my enjoyment of them. #3 Packers and Raiders. They all go back to the 60s when there were no Seahawks of course and once the Hawks came into existence those three all took a very, very distant backseat to them.

I have never been able to get the amount of love that the "baby blanket blue" uniforms get. Baby blue on white? That's supposed to look good? They look like they're getting all snuggled up for naptime, not getting ready for a football game. That uniform just screams "push me down and take my lunch money because I'm a giant pussy" to me.

Hahaha, agree. And the lightning bolt on the helmet looks like a sticker that some 10-year-old kid would slap onto his bike.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:32 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I suppose its not about teams for me, I do like seeing individual players I like succeed like Cam Newton & Andre Johnson.

I pretty much agree. I always have had a soft spot for the Lions because I liked Barry Sanders and Chris Spielman. After they left, I still kinda like em, but don't follow them much. My wife is from Michigan, so now I have another reason to kinda root for them, although she doesn't root for them. Cincy is also an underdog I root for when nothing else is on the line.

I've also always liked teams with great defenses. For this reason, I respected the Steelers (until SB XL), and the Ravens, and I always dug how the Bears have a good defense and a blue collar type of team atmosphere. I never disliked the Niners until very recently, we weren't rivals and they sucked, now it's getting good and juicy. I hate the Cowboys with a passion. I also dislike the Patriots until recently (now that they're not winning everything, I respect the hell out of Brady), can't stand the Stealers, and I'm getting tired of the Colts with all the Luck Love. I really liked the Colts with Manning, as I respected the player. Now that he's in Denver, it's harder because I've grown up disliking the Donkeys as a divisional rival.

Most other teams I'm pretty much ambivalent.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:37 pm
  • Only one team for me. Go Seahawks!
    pnwhawk25
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:37 pm
  • Dad is from Wisconsin and we rooted for the Packers and Vikings when they were on. Always liked the Bears as well. Loved the Steelers from their run in the 70s when I was real young - Mean Joe Coke commercial and championships... I still feel odd hating them now based off the one game, especially after all those years.

Always "hated" the Cowboys, Broncos, Raiders and then the 49ers in the late 80s. Was the first time I ever witnessed big time bandwagoning, where everyone was suddenly walking around town with Niner hats on - in Seattle.

Today, I just love watching football. Any game will do and I'll generally just start cheering for whatever team is losing (unless on hated list.)
    Kakaww
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:11 pm
  • My second favorite team is every other team in the Squeelers division.

Though I have a soft spot for long-time struggling teams like the Browns and the Bills. Happy to see the Bengals doing well.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:20 pm
  • dunceface wrote:
    Sonichellboy wrote:Having lived in SD for over 30 years I've developed a soft spot for the Chargers. Especially since we're not in the same division anymore.

Oh man, the fanbase is rough. I have had conversations with people and come away wondering if we're talking about the same sport. Lots of them just want to fight Raider fans anyway...
    Sonichellboy
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:39 am
  • Cardinals. Someone wears a jersey with my same name. :)
    Termite
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:51 am
  • Vancouver Canucks are my second favourite team
    warden
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:59 am
  • Sonichellboy wrote:
    dunceface wrote:

Oh man, the fanbase is rough. I have had conversations with people and come away wondering if we're talking about the same sport. Lots of them just want to fight Raider fans anyway...

Hahaha true...
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 pm
  • I love Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Oakland with all my heart. In fact, I love them more than the Seahawks.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:31 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:I love Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Oakland with all my heart. In fact, I love them more than the Seahawks.

"Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:33 pm
  • That moment you realize that teachers have summer break as well... That would explain the drug induced post Montana just made.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:36 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:Detroit Lions for me, by default because all of my friends are and I have watched the team a lot. I live in Michigan.
    I am so glad that the Lions are not my favorite team. I feel sorry for most of my friends. lol

me too - grew up in da U.P. eh. . . .
    OneLofaTatupu
    * NET Shrink *

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:09 pm
  • Mine this year will be the Miami dolphins, because my 10 year old daughter LIkes the colors.. .that works for me
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:51 pm
  • Cleveland Browns...

An old father figure neighbor from Cleveland

I hope they do well, but the Hawks are my only favorite team.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:39 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Non-applicable. 100% Seahawks, 0% every other team.

That's me too.

If we played in a league of our own and invited other teams to play us, I would be just fine with that.
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:46 am
  • Is this like second breakfast?
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:53 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Is this like second breakfast?

Is that the fourth meal?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:23 pm
  • well I gotta go with the Raiders for my #2.. Born in Oakland and its easy now that there in a different division.....

GO HAWKS
    fisholot
    NET Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information