For Ninerbuff... You're just wrong.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
NinerBuff":9x5xhwfg said:
RolandDeschain":9x5xhwfg said:
If Kaepernick didn't have the full playbook after riding the pine for a year-and-a-half, does that mean we can excuse away any mistakes Wilson makes for the first 8 games of this coming season, too?

Yes.. which is why he improved after the first 8 games.

Kaep starting coming in for specific pistol formations, then Alex Smith got injured and they started with some easier routes and running plays. And as he improved, they added more to his plate. It's opinion, but I think Kaep 'had the full playbook', but the coaching staff kept it more simple for his first few games.

I thought this was obvious to everyone? Pretty standard practice actually. And its the fact that he exploded and made the Bears "Elite" defense look like childs play in his first start and the Saints look like a sandlot game in his second, is why there is so much confidence towards him being one of the greatest QB's in our generation and all the analysts are riding his nuts. If he could do that with a limited amount of plays then imagine what else he can do. He didn't need 8 weeks to look great.

It has already been reported a while ago that he has worked hard on his dificiencies during the off season. Shouldn't be surprising at all when he comes out and shocks the league AGAIN and makes last year look like a rookie season in comparison. Just as I am sure RW will do the same.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2moyjk3d said:
Marvin49":2moyjk3d said:
RolandDeschain":2moyjk3d said:
If Kaepernick didn't have the full playbook after riding the pine for a year-and-a-half, does that mean we can excuse away any mistakes Wilson makes for the first 8 games of this coming season, too?

What do you mean "can we excuse away the first 8 games?". LOL. You guys already do.
Who's this "you guys"? Even with the first 8 games he was better than Keap if you erase that he isn't even in the same zipcode.

RW (first 8 games):

129 comp. 210 att (61.4%), 1466 yds (6.98 yds/att), 10 TDs (0.048 TDs/att), 9 INT (0.043 INT/att), 128 yds rushing (3.6 yd/carry), 0 TDs

4-4

CK (first 8 games started including at home vs. St. Louis):

131 comp. 209 att (62.7%), 1725 yds (8.25 yds/att), 10 TDs (0.048 TDs/att), 3 INT (0.014 INT/att), 304 yds rushing (6.1 yds/carry), 3 TDs

5-2-1

RW (full season + playoffs):

291 comp. 455 att (64.0%), 3645 yds (8.01 yds/att), 29 TDs (0.064 TDs/att), 11 INT (0.024 INT/att), 616 yds rushing (5.7 yds/carry), 5 TDs

12-6 (1-1 in playoffs)

CK (full season + playoffs):

185 comp. 298 att (62.1%), 2612 yds (8.77 yds/att), 14 TDs (0.047 TDs/att), 5 INT (0.017 INT/att), 679 yds rushing (7.7 yds/carry), 8 TDs

7-3-1 (2-1 in playoffs)

Overall, I see very similar stats for the first 8 games. Kaep has a higher yds/attempt and Wilson has a higher TD/attempt. Wilson had a higher INT ratio for the first 8 games, but after the full season, both guys had good INT ratio numbers. Kaep has a better yds/carry number.

Looks pretty similar to me...

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
heyu123":wf1aqf9t said:
loafoftatupu":wf1aqf9t said:
Alex Smith was the master of the 12 play, 56 yard drive that turned into a FG. It wore teams down, kept the defense on the sidelines and scoring low. The switch to Papaki created a bunch of short drives, some 3 and outs and put the defense in a much tougher role. This is part of the reason the Niner defense started showing holes and gave up both passing and running yards.

The cost was absorbed because the Niner offense could score quickly and it carried them to the Super Bowl, but it also allowed for more turnovers to happen at bad times and made it tough on a defense that didn't rotate players much.

Since when is scoring touchdowns quickly not preferable to long field goal drives?

Leave it to a Niner fan to read a negative out of a positive. My point was that it changes the situation for the defense along with giving a team like the Hawks more opportunities to score themselves. The Smith Niners limited the opponents to less TOP.

I have said it before, the Niners feast on the teams that are not fully balanced. A team that does everything with some level of success is far more dangerous to the Niners than a team that is only strong at one aspect of their offense and not physical defensively.

The Rams were not a juggernaut, but they could run with some success, pass with limited success and were physical on defense.

All the teams that beat the Niners fit the mold of the balanced team. NYG, Seattle, STL, Baltimore all have physical defenses and can move the ball in the air and on the ground. Minnesota had a great game from that jackwagon Ponder, so they prevailed.

Kaeperstank didn't lose to NYG or Manny, but the Niners as a whole lost to that style of team, with Kaeperstank amplifying the issue by giving those teams chances they might not have had if they stuck with ground and pound.

Anyone think SF is going to open their first series in Week 2 with 3 straight pass plays again? I highly doubt it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I know that there will be those that say balance makes every team a winner, but Kaepernick beat those teams that are considered dangerous that aren't balanced, all of them. NOLA, ATL, NE and GB, even Chicago.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":1w9jt11d said:
RolandDeschain":1w9jt11d said:

What do you mean "can we excuse away the first 8 games?". LOL. You guys already do.

You better not shy away from here after our week two match-up. I want to see tears, admissions of superiority, the full works after we beat you. Later that night, too. None of this drinking away your sorrow for two days straight then coming here and saying three words and considering the matter done stuff.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1zi89fvw said:
Marvin49":1zi89fvw said:
RolandDeschain":1zi89fvw said:

You better not shy away from here after our week two match-up. I want to see tears, admissions of superiority, the full works after we beat you. Later that night, too. None of this drinking away your sorrow for two days straight then coming here and saying three words and considering the matter done stuff.

I'll be here. No worries. Win or lose....I'll either congratulate on the win or be humble in victory.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Marvin49":oh26ldj5 said:
RolandDeschain":oh26ldj5 said:

I'll be here. No worries. Win or lose....I'll either congratulate on the win or be humble in victory.

More than likely SEA will win its home game and we'll win our home game. It'll be a shock if any other outcome happens.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NinerBuff":vbsvd83c said:
Marvin49":vbsvd83c said:
RolandDeschain":vbsvd83c said:

More than likely SEA will win its home game and we'll win our home game. It'll be a shock if any other outcome happens.

Very possible.

Hell...Niners may open up 0-2 with GB and Sea on the schedule and this forum would go completely apesh*t. LOL.

Its a LONG season tho.

hawker84

Reaction score
Marvin49":1nfomssm said:
RolandDeschain":1nfomssm said:

I think what he's saying is, Kap was in the system for a year and a half, then was thrust into the starting role after 8 games in his second season...

so any mistakes wilson makes in his next 8 starts should be able to be excused away like kap's... seeing how it apparently took Kap a year and a half to learn the entire playbook.

I think that's what he's getting at.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":1m8mvzm5 said:
Marvin49":1m8mvzm5 said:
RolandDeschain":1m8mvzm5 said:

I think what he's saying is, Kap was in the system for a year and a half, then was thrust into the starting role after 8 games in his second season...

so any mistakes wilson makes in his next 8 starts should be able to be excused away like kap's... seeing how it apparently took Kap a year and a half to learn the entire playbook.

I think that's what he's getting at.

I got it the first time...just sayin that it seems most people here ALREADY throw away the first 8 games. It's not as if that's something new. Saying tho that you can excuse away mistakes until halfway through next year...that's bogus. There is nothing like starting in the NFL. Sitting on the bench doesn't teach you the speed of the game. In some ways there will never be a direct comparison because they had a different experience.

As far as Kaeps first 8...we have to remember that he also came into this MUCH more raw than Wilson did. Wilson played in a Pro Style offense in college. Second, Kaep had the lockout in his rookie year so he didn't even get to start working with coaches until the season was almost on top of them. He got that full offseason in year 2 and looked good enough that they started creating packages for him long before he took over as the starter.

Even if none of that was the case tho....Kaeps first 8 starts (10 starts actually) are pretty damned impressive. Thats right about at the point when Wilson started turning a corner and moved into the stratosphere last year. Is is so ludicrous to think that Kaep's performance would have steadily improved as well? Hell, his first 300 yard game was in the Super Bowl. He had issues finding Vernon Davis all year, but improved in that respect dramatically in the playoffs. He was getting better and better with every game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Carroll publicly stated he had our offensive coordinator on a leash with a run-heavy, very limited playbook. He even lamented late in the year that it was a mistake to not unleash Wilson sooner. Different situation from Kaepernick. Also, the lockout didn't limit Kaep's reps as much as the 3-way competition for QB1 did for Wilson in his rookie year. Remember, Wilson was competing against two other QBs and splitting reps with them all throughout mini-camps, OTAs, and training camp. He wasn't named the starter until midweek after the 3rd preseason game.

I don't think this particular aspect of the conversation is going anywhere, let's move on. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1s3gvsi7 said:
Carroll publicly stated he had our offensive coordinator on a leash with a run-heavy, very limited playbook. He even lamented late in the year that it was a mistake to not unleash Wilson sooner. Different situation from Kaepernick. Also, the lockout didn't limit Kaep's reps as much as the 3-way competition for QB1 did for Wilson in his rookie year. Remember, Wilson was competing against two other QBs and splitting reps with them all throughout mini-camps, OTAs, and training camp. He wasn't named the starter until midweek after the 3rd preseason game.

I don't think this particular aspect of the conversation is going anywhere, let's move on. :)

Just one note to add and then we can move on....

I agree with one aspect there....the situations are very different. Kaep was also competing with Alex who was an entrenched starter...so never got the reps through an offseason as a starter either.

Too much of a difference in the situations to make a definitive statement on whom had an advantage over whom when it comes to the first 8 starts.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I agree with your last sentence there, and have said as much elsewhere on this forum earlier in this offseason.

2013 will tell us a lot about both QBs, as well as Luck and RG3.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":jxdrt99c said:
I agree with your last sentence there, and have said as much elsewhere on this forum earlier in this offseason.

2013 will tell us a lot about both QBs, as well as Luck and RG3.

Agreed.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I think Wilson and Kaep are very different QBs even though their numbers look pretty similar so far.

I think Kaep and Newton would be better comparison and obviously Kaep seems to be a better QB so far.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Why did they resign Smith? Was it they weren't comfortable with Papaki's leadership? Did they not believe he was as good as you seem to think? Did they not see the work ethic? Wilson had to split reps with the previous year starter and the guy that just signed the new big contract and still emerged as the entrenched starter. Reportedly that had much to do with his leadership qualities and his work ethic.

And stop with the 5 yards short of winning the super bowl. If the red zone was a strength for him then that has merit but that your coach went away from his running game that played the biggest hand in getting you to the super bowl as well as getting you back in that game and went to a guy who struggles in the exact situation you were in, says to me you didn't deserve to win that game.

Even your own fans are pissed that he decided to go to Kaep instead of the running game. That in itself says they don't believe Kaep is as clutch or as great as you think.

Lets not even bring up the blackout that completely changed the complexion of that game. If not for the blackout that game is a blowout.

themunn

Reaction score
The only thing about Kaep which someone alerted me to in this thread when they mentioned "he only throws to his first read because his first read is always open", Kaepernick only played two top 10 defenses last year, he absolutely nailed the Bears in his first start, but there is the question of how much of that was down to the element of surprise. He got absolutely nailed in his second test against us.

Wilson played 4 top 10 defenses (5 if you count the 49ers twice) and beat all 4 teams.

Incidentally, we have a bit of a reprieve this season as we only face 2 teams all year that finished in the top 10 in defense - SF and Houston. SF have the same luxury, albeit they face a tougher defense in us than we do in them :)

Laloosh

Reaction score
NinerBuff":3b183j52 said:
RW (first 8 games):

129 comp. 210 att (61.4%), 1466 yds (6.98 yds/att), 10 TDs (0.048 TDs/att), 9 INT (0.043 INT/att), 128 yds rushing (3.6 yd/carry), 0 TDs

4-4

CK (first 8 games started including at home vs. St. Louis):

131 comp. 209 att (62.7%), 1725 yds (8.25 yds/att), 10 TDs (0.048 TDs/att), 3 INT (0.014 INT/att), 304 yds rushing (6.1 yds/carry), 3 TDs

5-2-1

RW (full season + playoffs):

291 comp. 455 att (64.0%), 3645 yds (8.01 yds/att), 29 TDs (0.064 TDs/att), 11 INT (0.024 INT/att), 616 yds rushing (5.7 yds/carry), 5 TDs

12-6 (1-1 in playoffs)

CK (full season + playoffs):

185 comp. 298 att (62.1%), 2612 yds (8.77 yds/att), 14 TDs (0.047 TDs/att), 5 INT (0.017 INT/att), 679 yds rushing (7.7 yds/carry), 8 TDs

7-3-1 (2-1 in playoffs)

Overall, I see very similar stats for the first 8 games. Kaep has a higher yds/attempt and Wilson has a higher TD/attempt. Wilson had a higher INT ratio for the first 8 games, but after the full season, both guys had good INT ratio numbers. Kaep has a better yds/carry number.

Looks pretty similar to me...

So impressed watching you talking about how you just enjoy "talking to the opposition" then running back to WZ to puff your chest about the shit you post here.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/1 ... ad/page139

:49ersmall: :rocket:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Every time someone posts a 49ers Web Zone link and I make the mistake of clicking it, it reminds me of why I stopped browsing that forum. There are an incredible number of ignorant posters there. Way more than any other team forum I have ever seen, anywhere.

NorCal

Reaction score
The Webzone is something awful. Even most niner fans know that