For The Love of Flight

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
For The Love of Flight
Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:04 pm
  • I loved that song from the movie Inception that that fan used in that brilliant video and it inspired me to make my own RC plane version. :)

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: For The Love of Flight
Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:14 pm
  • :th2thumbs:

Love the Corsair.
    Last edited by FlyingGreg on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:33 pm
  • Speaking of which, that music would be awesome for the team intros at C Link.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:51 pm
  • No doubt! That song gives me chills.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:57 pm
  • What happen at 1:38?
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:27 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:What happen at 1:38?

My biggest muse and nemesis has always proven to be the SR-71 Blackbird. Without a doubt the most difficult and testy RC jet to fly on the market. I literally went through 10 of them because of my stupidity and stubbornness. The hand launch crash at the beginning of the video is a perfect illustration or microcosm of my experience with that plane. At 1:38, what you are seeing is my complete and utter relief after having successfully maidened that dang beautiful and difficult bird. I didn't know I was being filmed so the reaction was genuine. :)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:08 am
  • Aros wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:What happen at 1:38?

My biggest muse and nemesis has always proven to be the SR-71 Blackbird. Without a doubt the most difficult and testy RC jet to fly on the market. I literally went through 10 of them because of my stupidity and stubbornness. The hand launch crash at the beginning of the video is a perfect illustration or microcosm of my experience with that plane. At 1:38, what you are seeing is my complete and utter relief after having successfully maidened that dang beautiful and difficult bird. I didn't know I was being filmed so the reaction was genuine. :)

Hooray for my buddy Todd. He finally flew it right to the ground. I only know that from reading about the test flights of the real thing. They have a very small lift value which allows them to go fast as hell but almost impossible to fly slow. The pilots all said you have to run power right to "ground effects" before cutting power and letting it fall the rest of the way. I'm guessing ground effects for a RC model would be about 3"

Did the one you planted in the tree grow?

Makes me shake my head at the video of the guy that catches his RC plane in a hot air balloon, and fly it in really restrictive places at high speeds.

Thanks for the view Todd. Is that your Stuka? or is it a Junkers?

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 am
  • Indeed Les, unlike most planes the Blackbird cannot be slowed without disastrous results. I learned to fly her with constant down elevator to keep the nose from ballooning skyward on final. You are absolutely correct. A successful landing sequence involves flying her right to the ground keeping that nose down and speed up. It took me a few airframes to find the sweet spot where I didn't fly her so violently into the ground she wouldn't bust apart. But once you have her dialed in, the rewards are fantastic. I've owned a lot of cool planes but nothing garnered the respect and awe the Habu did in the air.

That other plane is the Junkers JU-87 Stuka. :)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:06 pm
  • Great video! I am just dabbling in RC aircraft now. I am building a Sig Kadett Jr and have most of the fuselage and wing framing completed. I think that is probably the easy part!
    brodad
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 pm
  • Cool! I'm not a builder myself. Lack of skill, patience and tools. Mostly patience and tools. :)

I have respect for those who do though. I'm more of a paint and fly guy.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:41 pm
  • Aros wrote:I loved that song from the movie Inception that that fan used in that brilliant video and it inspired me to make my own RC plane version. :)

"The content owner has not made this video available on mobile..."
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:05 pm
  • sc85sis wrote:"The content owner has not made this video available on mobile..."

I have no idea how to change that.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 pm
  • When I edit, upload and publish my videos, there's no option for me to select "Allow mobile users to view video". If there were I would select it. YouTube is cool to publish videos but they sure have some stupid stipulations.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:00 pm

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information