Looks like Kaepernick is rated better than Wilson on B/R...

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":2d7f8sf5 said:
The article was decent until it got to leadership. I would think that would be the easiest call to make, and he got it wrong. Wilson also had more interviews and TV attention during SB week than Kaepernick did, there wasn't a bigger rising star in the NFL at the end of last season, that's another easy call he missed on. During the 2013 draft, everyone was asking "who's the next Russell Wilson." Nobody was asking for the next Colin Kaepernick, even though Colin Kaepernick types are much easier to find, and the 2013 draft even had a QB who compared (Manuel), whereas you might wait decades for the next Russell Wilson.

I like Kaepernick, but saying that he's better than Wilson feels a bit like saying Alex Smith is better than Aaron Rodgers. Alex Smith was a pretty good QB last year (his numbers were better than Kaepernick's), but you'd have to make a pretty warped argument to overlook Rodgers to that degree.
Well, to be fair... they were talking about the next Russell Wilson because he was drafted last year and in the 3rd round. So, they were bringing that up because it's still fresh in everyone's minds that the Seahawks got the steal of the draft last year at perhaps the most key position. As you know, Kearly, it was part of the broader discussion of the crop of 2013 QB's available. Still, I agree with you and your points are excellent and valid that there wasn't a bigger rising star and they certainly could have said the next CK (2nd rounder the previous year, correct?), but did not.
The current Seahawks player I spoke with for over an hour a couple of months ago agreed with my take on the difference between the two. (I agree with Kearly that CK types are easier to find... which is sort of a bottom line difference between the two. RW is special and CK just really isn't.) CK is more of a running QB who can make some throws (and has weapons around him, now minus Crabtree.) RW is more of a throwing QB who can scramble like Tarkenton. CK is more like the running QB's that tend to have the injury problems. RW plays smart in that regard (though he does block now doesn't he!) Russell Wilson is a football player and a leader that makes everyone around him better. The reaction by one of RW's 2012 teammates when I put it that way? He was nodding his head up and down the entire time in agreement and then some. Nothing against CK - he's capable of playing QB for an already talented team that makes him better. He's definitely got wheels in open space, but I think he's going to get figured out and defenses are going to figure out ways to force that guy to make some bad decisions by limiting his run options. Sure... DC's will also try to figure out how to defend Wilson, but that's when he has + will continue to make plays and get those lofty comparisons to the greats.
I talked to a Falcons fan yesterday who was at the playoff game. You can guess all he said. When he started talking about this upcoming season... I simply said (probably 3 times or more... may he hear it in his dreams), "Russell Wilson is special." That's enough right there.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2x4kqjsw said:
First off...BLEACHER REPORT!

The site sucks guys. Just about anybody can write an article on that site, not saying that they don't get it right sometimes though. :th2thumbs:

I would say that Kaep and Wilson split the Accuracy and Leadership category's, and Kaep takes the rest.
Wilson tied Peyton Manning for TD's @ 26, and he was being held in check by his Coaches for the first half of last Season , Kaepernick?, nope.
Once they turned Wilson lose in that Chicago game, he flat out kicked ass with 2 games that were 50 + and even the game against the 49rs was lop sided as hell, which tells me that Kaepernick loses the tied for Leadership gig.

Rocket

Reaction score
Those who ponder star power as a criteria for rating athletes are either Nike marketing dweebs or devotees of "reality" TV.
Neither can find their asses in the dark with both hands.

(apologies to our Nike marketing brethren)

Rocket

Reaction score
Actually I like the idea of the bicep-kissing clown as a media darling... it will take a bit of his mind off the game, which is a good thing for this Croatian-American.

SE174

Reaction score
Is it shocking that a 49er fan would choose Kaepernick over Wilson? No. The shocking part is that the 49er fan could write anything in the English language comprehensible enough for even B/R to publish it.

The author's bio:
ABOUT
I'm a recent graduate from San Francisco State University with a degree in Journalism. I live and breathe sports, particularly any from the Bay Area. Baseball, Basketball, Football, even the WWE. It doesn't matter. I can't get enough.

Favorite Sports TeamsSan Francisco Giants, San Francisco 49ers, Golden State Warriors, San Jose Sharks, San Antonio Spurs

Move along.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, he plays for the precious media dry humping Niners. It's just an opinion.
Wilson is a better QB and will be for years to come. Not saying Kaep isn't good, he's damn good, just not as good as RW.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1z2icvln said:
*sigh*

I wish we would stop doing this. We must look like complete muppets to not only 49er fans, but other casual sports fans, too.

Kaepernick is very very good. Russell Wilson is also very very good. I (and I assume most here) believe that Wilson will be the better QB when all is said and done, but it doesn't mean that Kaep is not a great QB. He is. Having said that, I don't like him, I don't like the way he carries himself in interviews and I don't believe he works nearly as hard as Russ, but what he does on the field is unquestionable, in my opinion. Let's just accept that he's a great QB and plays for our rival.

I 'accept' that neither Russ nor Kaep deserve to be called 'great' until they've played at a high level for way longer than one season.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Not to belabor the point... but, isn't the point in the OP being discussed concerning a comparison between RW and CK, not if they are great or not?

Though he never played a down in the NFL... Ernie Davis was a GREAT RB. Perhaps some would reserve that term for those who have played many seasons... and be more comfortable attaching a term like "special" - which carries with it potential to be mentioned one day as one of the greats. Everyone brings up the argument that a player isn't great unless they've played in the league for a subjective amount of time. That might be generally true for good reason (which is why it's not really going out on a limb to note that), but doesn't always apply - at least IMO. Perhaps at least one might grant that a player may be called "great" at least in the colloquial sense - of course not crowning either yet as one of the all time greats. I don't see anyone going quite that far (though it's not unheard of to see that in a rookie or 2nd year player. Think Elway, Marino, etc.)

While standing next to and conversing with Ken Griffey, Jr. last summer (watching youth football) BEFORE the season started last year, he told me flat out that Russell Wilson is a special player (and he was going up to Seattle for the Dallas game.) He spoke much more highly of RW than that... but, since that was nearly a year ago, I don't wish to be quoting him verbatim as I do not wish to put words in his mouth.

Drew Brees had a few nice things to say as well: http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 5157d5d880

I've heard comparisons to Fran Tarkenton, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, etc. Those are lofty comparisons TO Greats. Who is CK being compared to? I haven't heard a thing and I don't live in Seattle. I live in Florida and hear talk about all teams (but usually not kind about Seattle.) Yes, CK in the NFL playing for a pretty good team. If both RW and CK were playing for struggling teams... I know which one I would want under center.

Russell Wilson is special. In my estimation, we're seeing a QB early in his career (like and Elway and Marino) who will be known as a great... especially in comparison to CK.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2c3bgine said:
*sigh*
Let's just accept that he's a great QB and plays for our rival.

Nope, can't agree to do that... yet. What's obvious right now about Kraperschmuck is that he's a very gifted athlete who held down the qb position on arguably the most talented team in the league for a half season or so. I'm of the belief that Alex Smith could have just as easily taken them to the SB last year, hell Michael Vick could have gotten them to the Super Bowl. Let's see how he does for at least another year or so or maybe on a team that's rebuilding and predicted to finish 3rd or 4th in the division, on a team who's fans are predicting a 6-10 or 7-9 season in July.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jeez.

Look, I know many of you don't want to admit it, but Kaep is far better than you give him credit for.

...However...don't put any credence into ANYTHING written on Bleacher Report. Seriously. And this is coming from a guy who likes Kaep better.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Did anyone watch the 42-13 stomping of 49ers. Leadership??? I laugh my butt off watching that game and seeing the panicked look on Kaepernick's face calling timeout in the first quarter. Russell kicks butt and the simple fact is on every occasion you see a cool and calm demeanor on Wilson's face even when we trailed.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Marvin49":q4bw7bqf said:
Jeez.

Look, I know many of you don't want to admit it, but Kaep is far better than you give him credit for.

...However...don't put any credence into ANYTHING written on Bleacher Report. Seriously. And this is coming from a guy who likes Kaep better.
There's credit given. It's not all or nothing. He's got some wheels. He can make an accurate throw to an open Vernon Davis. Just realistic given how and when he came on the scene on an already established team... plus in comparison to the talent of Wilson. Don't feel bad... comparing other team QB's to Wilson will make it seem like no credit is given to their guys either. That happens when you get compared to the very best. The Niner coaching staff had major reservations about making the switch from Smith to CK when they did so. If they were so confident in him, why the reservation? They're more relieved that he didn't outright blow it. You could have put any other decent QB in with that team and seen them do reasonably well. I'm curious to see if they are going to seriously regret trading Alex Smith.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":4d0gerzw said:
Marvin49":4d0gerzw said:
Jeez.

There's credit given. It's not all or nothing. He's got some wheels. He can make an accurate throw to an open Vernon Davis. Just realistic given how and when he came on the scene on an already established team... plus in comparison to the talent of Wilson. Don't feel bad... comparing other team QB's to Wilson will make it seem like no credit is given to their guys either. That happens when you get compared to the very best. The Niner coaching staff had major reservations about making the switch from Smith to CK when they did so. If they were so confident in him, why the reservation? They're more relieved that he didn't outright blow it. You could have put any other decent QB in with that team and seen them do reasonably well. I'm curious to see if they are going to seriously regret trading Alex Smith.

Not when Alex looks like the pre-Harbaugh Alex under Reid.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Kixkahn":17s9bya1 said:
Did anyone watch the 42-13 stomping of 49ers. Leadership??? I laugh my butt off watching that game and seeing the panicked look on Kaepernick's face calling timeout in the first quarter. Russell kicks butt and the simple fact is on every occasion you see a cool and calm demeanor on Wilson's face even when we trailed.

Its actually quite clear most Seahawk fans ONLY saw that game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":33x210up said:
Marvin49":33x210up said:
Jeez.

They were hesitant because they were winning with Alex. Alex had just been offensive player of the week and had an insane completion % over the past game and a half (before he was hurt vs St Louis). Of COURSE they were hesitant to remove the guy that got them to the NFC Championship game the year before!

Sheesh. This ain't complicated.

There are a select few who give Kaep credit here....most give almost none...yet they talk about him so it's clear he's in their head. BTW...can we slow down on the "the very best" line on Wilson? LOL. He's a very promising young player, but you guys act like he's already Joe Montana.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Marvin49, you're on the Seahawks board arguing for your team guy. It's clear alright that someone's in someone's head... and you're correct - it's not complicated. It's obvious.
By the way... the Niners are on the history channel right now. The network knows their fans live in the past.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":wd8lxenr said:
There are a select few who give Kaep credit here....most give almost none...yet they talk about him so it's clear he's in their head. BTW...can we slow down on the "the very best" line on Wilson? LOL. He's a very promising young player, but you guys act like he's already Joe Montana.

I am one of the guys who give Kaep some credit, but I don't mind anyone thinking that Wilson is miles better than KaeperStank. You are asking Seahawk fans to pipe down their love for Wilson, but you have Niner fans who make them look timid in comparison. You have read it, there are still a large population of shitheads thinking that Wilson's height is a big deal, that KaeperFreak can "outgun" Wilson or that he has more potential. Dismissive to a guy who made it look EASY against YOUR team's defense. Something most QB's don't do.

I get it.. You don't like the hype for RW, but when you start spouting that stuff over on the Niner board and diminish the talk about how KaeperBeak is the best, you might get some takers. So far, all we know is that Wilson has beat the Niners with KaeperPick playing, where Kaepapaki hasn't even come CLOSE. Not even in the same realm. Hard to swallow any pro-Papaki argument without giving RW a little more credit. Papaki didn't take the Niners to the Super Bowl, the Niners took the Niners to the Super Bowl.