Redskins Name Change

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Re: Redskins Name Change
Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 pm
  • JOz56 wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:
    Stephen SeaHawking wrote:I don't know, but if you find yourself agreeing with BOTH Dan Snyder and Roger Goodell on a topic, you are probably wrong.

    Being from Seattle, surrounded by a lot of Native Americans on a semi-daily basis, I would be embarrassed to have anything with "Redskins" printed on it. What do you think?



    I am part American Indian (which I prefer) but I did hear of a poll taken - 100% American Indians.

    Over 90% thought the name "Redskins" was not offensive and they were just fine with it.
    As am I.

    Keep the Redskins name!!!!!!!!

    Kind of funny that most white people don't like the name and most American Indians appear to be just fine with it.


    Did they actually question 100% of the Native Americans, with all sorts of blood lines, in this country or was it some stupid online poll that a bunch of Redskin fans were able to pump up their support for?

    I'm part Native American as well, and it is all out racist. Just because some people are fine with something, doesn't mean it isn't wrong.


    Also part native here. Upper Skagit tribe. I find it to be offensive because it was meant to be so. The history of the team says all that is needed to be said. The name is racist and has no place in polite society. They should change it if only to remove the stink from their organization.
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Redskins Name Change
Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:57 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I really do wonder how the state of Missouri, population 6 million, can support two NFL franchises. Washington state has 1 and a population of 6.9 million, and no surrounding states have a franchise.

    Football is big in this area of the country and it's a virtual tradition like baseball in St. Louis.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6558
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Redskins Name Change
Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:06 pm
  • America is a great Country, a great Nation that has done a lot of good things for its own people and lots of people in the world.
    But sometimes we seem to forget is that, many things achieved in this country were done at the expense of the lives and blood of many innocent people and their families. To those who don't seem to care about the historical meaning behind "Redskins". How would you feel, if some Saudi Arabian team was named after the 9/11 slaughtering of Americans lives (I'm sure some of you have seen footage of these criminal acts being celebrated in certain parts of the world)? Will you be offended? Would you find yourself supporting such a team? I doubt it.
    Let's put ourselves sometimes in the shoes of those others. I'm a African American and my parents / grand parents have told me stories of segregation and discrimination they have experienced in this country and I wouldn't wish them on anyone or their family. If a group of people feel offended by certain words we use because these words reminds them of a very bitter and tragic past, let's move beyond that. America benefits more being united and inclusive than being divided/divisive.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 867
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 pm


Re: Redskins Name Change
Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:47 pm
  • joeseahawks wrote:America is a great Country, a great Nation that has done a lot of good things for its own people and lots of people in the world.
    But sometimes we seem to forget is that, many things achieved in this country were done at the expense of the lives and blood of many innocent people and their families. To those who don't seem to care about the historical meaning behind "Redskins". How would you feel, if some Saudi Arabian team was named after the 9/11 slaughtering of Americans lives (I'm sure some of you have seen footage of these criminal acts being celebrated in certain parts of the world)? Will you be offended? Would you find yourself supporting such a team? I doubt it.
    Let's put ourselves sometimes in the shoes of those others. I'm a African American and my parents / grand parents have told me stories of segregation and discrimination they have experienced in this country and I wouldn't wish them on anyone or their family. If a group of people feel offended by certain words we use because these words reminds them of a very bitter and tragic past, let's move beyond that. America benefits more being united and inclusive than being divided/divisive.


    Image
    User avatar
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1860
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:16 pm
    Location: Lacey, WA


Re: Redskins Name Change
Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:15 pm
  • JOz56 wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:
    Stephen SeaHawking wrote:I don't know, but if you find yourself agreeing with BOTH Dan Snyder and Roger Goodell on a topic, you are probably wrong.

    Being from Seattle, surrounded by a lot of Native Americans on a semi-daily basis, I would be embarrassed to have anything with "Redskins" printed on it. What do you think?



    I am part American Indian (which I prefer) but I did hear of a poll taken - 100% American Indians.

    Over 90% thought the name "Redskins" was not offensive and they were just fine with it.
    As am I.

    Keep the Redskins name!!!!!!!!

    Kind of funny that most white people don't like the name and most American Indians appear to be just fine with it.


    Did they actually question 100% of the Native Americans, with all sorts of blood lines, in this country or was it some stupid online poll that a bunch of Redskin fans were able to pump up their support for?

    I'm part Native American as well, and it is all out racist. Just because some people are fine with something, doesn't mean it isn't wrong.



    Well, that's the great thing about living in a free society.....if you are offended, don't like something etc., you can chose to not listen, not call them by that name. That's how this FREEDOM thing works....Instead of violating someone's constitutional rights. Freedom, it's a great thing, I'm sure you've heard of it.....you ought to try it sometime....you may like it.
    User avatar
    Rambitious
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:24 pm


Re: Redskins Name Change
Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:58 am
  • Rambitious wrote:Well, that's the great thing about living in a free society.....if you are offended, don't like something etc., you can chose to not listen, not call them by that name. That's how this FREEDOM thing works....Instead of violating someone's constitutional rights. Freedom, it's a great thing, I'm sure you've heard of it.....you ought to try it sometime....you may like it.


    I always get a kick out of that argument. "You're free to not listen to someone." Explain how THAT works...And explain how racism applies to freedom, while you're at it. "Freedom means you're free to not be offended by a racial slur!"

    One's rights only extend to the point where they infringe on another's.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8691
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


Re: Redskins Name Change
Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:28 am
  • Rambitious wrote:
    JOz56 wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:[quote="Stephen SeaHawking"]I don't know, but if you find yourself agreeing with BOTH Dan Snyder and Roger Goodell on a topic, you are probably wrong.

    Being from Seattle, surrounded by a lot of Native Americans on a semi-daily basis, I would be embarrassed to have anything with "Redskins" printed on it. What do you think?



    I am part American Indian (which I prefer) but I did hear of a poll taken - 100% American Indians.

    Over 90% thought the name "Redskins" was not offensive and they were just fine with it.
    As am I.

    Keep the Redskins name!!!!!!!!

    Kind of funny that most white people don't like the name and most American Indians appear to be just fine with it.


    Did they actually question 100% of the Native Americans, with all sorts of blood lines, in this country or was it some stupid online poll that a bunch of Redskin fans were able to pump up their support for?

    I'm part Native American as well, and it is all out racist. Just because some people are fine with something, doesn't mean it isn't wrong.



    Well, that's the great thing about living in a free society.....if you are offended, don't like something etc., you can chose to not listen, not call them by that name. That's how this FREEDOM thing works....Instead of violating someone's constitutional rights. Freedom, it's a great thing, I'm sure you've heard of it.....you ought to try it sometime....you may like it.[/quote]

    Maybe that's how FREEDOM is in lala land but not in the real world.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9177
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Redskins Name Change
Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:59 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I really do wonder how the state of Missouri, population 6 million, can support two NFL franchises. Washington state has 1 and a population of 6.9 million, and no surrounding states have a franchise.


    wait, wait, wait.... Hold the phone... Since when is Kansas City in Missouri? I always thought it was in Kansas! What the Truck?

    What are you going to tell me next, that the Giants actually play in New Jersey..?
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11219
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Re: Redskins Name Change
Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:45 pm
  • Society is too soft and PC. Almost anything can be offensive to someone. Having said that, who cares if they change their name? They shouldn't be forced to by congress. Congress should stay out of sports and let fans, owners and players association decide this.

    ...and yes I am part "Indian" from the U.S. This doesn't offend me personally, but can understand how it would others.

    Quick story: one son is half black (I am almost all white with a little native) other 2 kids are white. The one tried to act like he could say "nigga" to his black friends. I put a stop to this instantly. If m white kids can't say it then neither can he.

    Racism will continue to exist as long as differences are pointed out. I.e. "first native to do ...." "First black to ..." Etc etc.. Sometimes those that try to not be racist are the most racist. We can not all be equal and there will always be some moron to point out flaws and differences by putting down others.
    Watching Beast Mode run the ball.
    Catching a Bo Jackson baseball. Kingdome, centerfield, over the cannon.
    Jim Presley with a full count, 2 out, down by 3, bottom of the 9th Grand Slam.

    My favorite all time sports memory
    "The Seattle Seahawks are Super Bowl CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!"
    User avatar
    JaiSeaSea
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 271
    Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:32 pm


Re: Redskins Name Change
Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:08 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I really do wonder how the state of Missouri, population 6 million, can support two NFL franchises. Washington state has 1 and a population of 6.9 million, and no surrounding states have a franchise.


    wait, wait, wait.... Hold the phone... Since when is Kansas City in Missouri? I always thought it was in Kansas! What the Truck?

    What are you going to tell me next, that the Giants actually play in New Jersey..?

    No sir like St. Louis the vast majority of the city is in Missouri (Jackson County to be exact) though there is a Kansas City, Kansas like there is a St. Louis, Illinois but they are very small portion of either city.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6558
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Redskins Name Change
Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:13 pm
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I really do wonder how the state of Missouri, population 6 million, can support two NFL franchises. Washington state has 1 and a population of 6.9 million, and no surrounding states have a franchise.


    wait, wait, wait.... Hold the phone... Since when is Kansas City in Missouri? I always thought it was in Kansas! What the Truck?

    What are you going to tell me next, that the Giants actually play in New Jersey..?

    No sir like St. Louis the vast majority of the city is in Missouri (Jackson County to be exact) though there is a Kansas City, Kansas like there is a St. Louis, Illinois but they are very small portion of either city.


    Well that's just stupid. Why don't you just invade Kansas and annex the rest of the city from them?
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11219
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Re: Redskins Name Change
Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:22 pm
  • lol waiiit Missouri shares its two biggest cities? Does Missouri suck that bad?
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19012
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Redskins Name Change
Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:28 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:lol waiiit Missouri shares its two biggest cities? Does Missouri suck that bad?

    Yes sir it does. :lol:
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6558
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Redskins Name Change
Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 pm
  • Invading Kansas would be like invading Central Canada...there's nothing but cows there. Besides anybody that lives in Kansas finds any excuse they can to come over to Missouri because at least we have alcohol and porn.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6558
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Redskins Name Change
Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:44 pm
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:Invading Kansas would be like invading Central Canada...there's nothing but cows there. Besides anybody that lives in Kansas finds any excuse they can to come over to Missouri because at least we have alcohol and porn.


    There's no alcohol or porn in Kansas!? WTF is WRONG with that God forsaken place!?!
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11219
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Re: Redskins Name Change
Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:53 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:Invading Kansas would be like invading Central Canada...there's nothing but cows there. Besides anybody that lives in Kansas finds any excuse they can to come over to Missouri because at least we have alcohol and porn.


    There's no alcohol or porn in Kansas!? WTF is WRONG with that God forsaken place!?!

    It's like Puritan world there. It seriously has strict alcohol laws. Very near a blue state in that regard. It doesn't sell actual strong beer there etc. (not sure on the porn thing I just threw that in there because it's probably true. 8)).
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6558
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Redskins Name Change
Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:37 pm
  • So Snyder hired a fake Chief of a tribe to ho on to the weekly DC team show and proclaim his love for the team and thst he appreciates the honor. Its on BR. I'll post a link when I get home.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9177
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Previous


It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online