Redskins Name Change

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":16ncynwq said:
But it's ok to name a professional team with one of those words? Got it.

No matter how many times you make this point, it's still not going to become the relevant question.

I've lived on a reservation for two years and have asked them about the team name. None of them care. They're just excited about RG3.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3gm5zixn said:
AbsolutNET":3gm5zixn said:
But it's ok to name a professional team with one of those words? Got it.

No matter how many times you make this point, it's still not going to become the relevant question.

I've lived on a reservation for two years and have asked them about the team name. None of them care. They're just excited about RG3.

I just find it odd that it's a word people wouldn't use to describe a native american, but are ok with being a name of a pro sports team.

12evanf

Reaction score
I'm just glad I hate the Redskins (the team, I'm definitely not using a racial epithet to declare my hate for a section of people) and don't have to veil support for an ignorant name just because that team is in my market.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
12evanf":16h2c3pr said:
I'm just glad I hate the Redskins (the team, I'm definitely not using a racial epithet to declare my hate for a section of people) and don't have to veil support for an ignorant name just because that team is in my market.

Yeah, God forbid you have the intelligence to still support a team but dislike the name of it, lol. What a horrible dilemma that would be!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I suppose they could be renamed the Braves or something? But fact is the vast majority of Native Americans aren't offended by it and don't see it as an issue. It's really just being spotlighted as a way to push more political correctness agendas to the forefront more than anything else.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I really do wonder how the state of Missouri, population 6 million, can support two NFL franchises. Washington state has 1 and a population of 6.9 million, and no surrounding states have a franchise.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
JOz56":f8f1xsal said:
Rambitious":f8f1xsal said:
Stephen SeaHawking":f8f1xsal said:
I don't know, but if you find yourself agreeing with BOTH Dan Snyder and Roger Goodell on a topic, you are probably wrong.

Being from Seattle, surrounded by a lot of Native Americans on a semi-daily basis, I would be embarrassed to have anything with "Redskins" printed on it. What do you think?

I am part American Indian (which I prefer) but I did hear of a poll taken - 100% American Indians.

Over 90% thought the name "Redskins" was not offensive and they were just fine with it.
As am I.

Keep the Redskins name!!!!!!!!

Kind of funny that most white people don't like the name and most American Indians appear to be just fine with it.

Did they actually question 100% of the Native Americans, with all sorts of blood lines, in this country or was it some stupid online poll that a bunch of Redskin fans were able to pump up their support for?

I'm part Native American as well, and it is all out racist. Just because some people are fine with something, doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

Also part native here. Upper Skagit tribe. I find it to be offensive because it was meant to be so. The history of the team says all that is needed to be said. The name is racist and has no place in polite society. They should change it if only to remove the stink from their organization.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":11tth1jd said:
I really do wonder how the state of Missouri, population 6 million, can support two NFL franchises. Washington state has 1 and a population of 6.9 million, and no surrounding states have a franchise.
Football is big in this area of the country and it's a virtual tradition like baseball in St. Louis.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
America is a great Country, a great Nation that has done a lot of good things for its own people and lots of people in the world.
But sometimes we seem to forget is that, many things achieved in this country were done at the expense of the lives and blood of many innocent people and their families. To those who don't seem to care about the historical meaning behind "Redskins". How would you feel, if some Saudi Arabian team was named after the 9/11 slaughtering of Americans lives (I'm sure some of you have seen footage of these criminal acts being celebrated in certain parts of the world)? Will you be offended? Would you find yourself supporting such a team? I doubt it.
Let's put ourselves sometimes in the shoes of those others. I'm a African American and my parents / grand parents have told me stories of segregation and discrimination they have experienced in this country and I wouldn't wish them on anyone or their family. If a group of people feel offended by certain words we use because these words reminds them of a very bitter and tragic past, let's move beyond that. America benefits more being united and inclusive than being divided/divisive.

Spounge84

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2eci1sdj said:
America is a great Country, a great Nation that has done a lot of good things for its own people and lots of people in the world.
But sometimes we seem to forget is that, many things achieved in this country were done at the expense of the lives and blood of many innocent people and their families. To those who don't seem to care about the historical meaning behind "Redskins". How would you feel, if some Saudi Arabian team was named after the 9/11 slaughtering of Americans lives (I'm sure some of you have seen footage of these criminal acts being celebrated in certain parts of the world)? Will you be offended? Would you find yourself supporting such a team? I doubt it.
Let's put ourselves sometimes in the shoes of those others. I'm a African American and my parents / grand parents have told me stories of segregation and discrimination they have experienced in this country and I wouldn't wish them on anyone or their family. If a group of people feel offended by certain words we use because these words reminds them of a very bitter and tragic past, let's move beyond that. America benefits more being united and inclusive than being divided/divisive.

clap.gif

Rambitious

Reaction score
JOz56":icoxds7h said:
Rambitious":icoxds7h said:
Stephen SeaHawking":icoxds7h said:
I don't know, but if you find yourself agreeing with BOTH Dan Snyder and Roger Goodell on a topic, you are probably wrong.

Being from Seattle, surrounded by a lot of Native Americans on a semi-daily basis, I would be embarrassed to have anything with "Redskins" printed on it. What do you think?

I am part American Indian (which I prefer) but I did hear of a poll taken - 100% American Indians.

Over 90% thought the name "Redskins" was not offensive and they were just fine with it.
As am I.

Kind of funny that most white people don't like the name and most American Indians appear to be just fine with it.

Did they actually question 100% of the Native Americans, with all sorts of blood lines, in this country or was it some stupid online poll that a bunch of Redskin fans were able to pump up their support for?

I'm part Native American as well, and it is all out racist. Just because some people are fine with something, doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

Well, that's the great thing about living in a free society.....if you are offended, don't like something etc., you can chose to not listen, not call them by that name. That's how this FREEDOM thing works....Instead of violating someone's constitutional rights. Freedom, it's a great thing, I'm sure you've heard of it.....you ought to try it sometime....you may like it.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Rambitious":7cd0f6zb said:
Well, that's the great thing about living in a free society.....if you are offended, don't like something etc., you can chose to not listen, not call them by that name. That's how this FREEDOM thing works....Instead of violating someone's constitutional rights. Freedom, it's a great thing, I'm sure you've heard of it.....you ought to try it sometime....you may like it.

I always get a kick out of that argument. "You're free to not listen to someone." Explain how THAT works...And explain how racism applies to freedom, while you're at it. "Freedom means you're free to not be offended by a racial slur!"

One's rights only extend to the point where they infringe on another's.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Rambitious":1nu52x12 said:
JOz56":1nu52x12 said:
Rambitious":1nu52x12 said:
Stephen SeaHawking said:

As am I.

Maybe that's how FREEDOM is in lala land but not in the real world.

CANHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":331jw2tv said:

wait, wait, wait.... Hold the phone... Since when is Kansas City in Missouri? I always thought it was in Kansas! What the Truck?

What are you going to tell me next, that the Giants actually play in New Jersey..?

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Society is too soft and PC. Almost anything can be offensive to someone. Having said that, who cares if they change their name? They shouldn't be forced to by congress. Congress should stay out of sports and let fans, owners and players association decide this.

...and yes I am part "Indian" from the U.S. This doesn't offend me personally, but can understand how it would others.

Quick story: one son is half black (I am almost all white with a little native) other 2 kids are white. The one tried to act like he could say "*****" to his black friends. I put a stop to this instantly. If m white kids can't say it then neither can he.

Racism will continue to exist as long as differences are pointed out. I.e. "first native to do ...." "First black to ..." Etc etc.. Sometimes those that try to not be racist are the most racist. We can not all be equal and there will always be some moron to point out flaws and differences by putting down others.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CANHawk":3947sh6i said:
RolandDeschain":3947sh6i said:

wait, wait, wait.... Hold the phone... Since when is Kansas City in Missouri? I always thought it was in Kansas! What the Truck?

What are you going to tell me next, that the Giants actually play in New Jersey..?
No sir like St. Louis the vast majority of the city is in Missouri (Jackson County to be exact) though there is a Kansas City, Kansas like there is a St. Louis, Illinois but they are very small portion of either city.