Car Ac help

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Car Ac help
Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:11 pm
  • I own a 2002 toyota tacoma 3.4L V6 and as its warmed up i've noticed that my AC is not working at all.I just bought it back this past spring when it was cooler so never noticed it.I have tried a diy AC recharger from the store and it has held pressure so I don't think there is any leak of any sort,it had a low pressure before I added the recharge and has held to the pressure I added,what else can I do to it before completely giving up and spending big bucks to fix it? I don't have quite the funds to potentially have a mechanic work on it so any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    cubbyhawkfan
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Car Ac help
Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:32 am
  • Most places that do ac will do an ac inspection for $20. Not too bad just to find out what any problems are and if it's worth fixing. At least you'll know if it's a major or minor fix or not.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:27 am
  • Start your vehicle with the AC off and lift the hood. The electric cooling fan in front of the condenser core should be off. Then reach in and turn the AC on. You should here an audible click as the compressor clutch kicks in and the cooling fan should now be on. If the compressor is turning but the electric fan isn't, bad fan motor. If the compressor clutch is not engaging, you either have low system pressure, a bad panel switch in the dash, a bad relay, a bad fuse, or a bad clutch.

Many times the refrigerant recirculation system is fully charged and compressor running OK but the fan does not push enough air through the condenser which does not allow the refrigerant to condense into a liquid so it can boil through the suction throttling device (orifice tube/expansion valve). This causes poor cooling performance from the evaporator core which leads to increased high aside pressures which result in a safety shutdown of the compressor. Thinking the system is just low and adding more refrigerant compounds this problem.

Never add refrigerant unless it has been verified that all electrical and mechanicals are in working order first. The ONLY time you should add refrigerant is when the compressor begins to cycle on and off excessively
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:35 pm
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:Start your vehicle with the AC off and lift the hood. The electric cooling fan in front of the condenser core should be off. Then reach in and turn the AC on. You should here an audible click as the compressor clutch kicks in and the cooling fan should now be on. If the compressor is turning but the electric fan isn't, bad fan motor. If the compressor clutch is not engaging, you either have low system pressure, a bad panel switch in the dash, a bad relay, a bad fuse, or a bad clutch.

Many times the refrigerant recirculation system is fully charged and compressor running OK but the fan does not push enough air through the condenser which does not allow the refrigerant to condense into a liquid so it can boil through the suction throttling device (orifice tube/expansion valve). This causes poor cooling performance from the evaporator core which leads to increased high aside pressures which result in a safety shutdown of the compressor. Thinking the system is just low and adding more refrigerant compounds this problem.

Never add refrigerant unless it has been verified that all electrical and mechanicals are in working order first. The ONLY time you should add refrigerant is when the compressor begins to cycle on and off excessively

Ok I did that but where exactly is the electric cooling fan??
    cubbyhawkfan
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 pm
  • I can help with that since HH is probably working.

Cooling fan should be in the inside of the radiator and is normally pretty easy to see under the hood. So find the radiator and check the inside for a fan mounted on a bracket close to the surface of the radiator.

In rare instances its outside the radiator but not often because its then exposed to road chips and rocks that chip fan blades and made it vibrate like crazy.

He told you that because the cooling fan automatically comes on when the a/c or defrosters are turned on.

Hope that helps.
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 pm
  • The Radish wrote:I can help with that since HH is probably working.

Cooling fan should be in the inside of the radiator and is normally pretty easy to see under the hood. So find the radiator and check the inside for a fan mounted on a bracket close to the surface of the radiator.

In rare instances its outside the radiator but not often because its then exposed to road chips and rocks that chip fan blades and made it vibrate like crazy.

He told you that because the cooling fan automatically comes on when the a/c or defrosters are turned on.

Hope that helps.

thanks it does help, what im confused about though is the fan is on even when the ac isn't so whats the deal??
    cubbyhawkfan
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:08 am
  • Sorry, I have been busy...

You should have a mechanical fan between the radiator and the engine that rotates all the time when the engine runs, and an electric fan which will only come on when the AC is on mounted up front (if memory serves). If you only have one electric fan, it should not run when the engine is started cold. On the 2002 I'm not 100% on the setup.

How many fans do you have on the truck?

What is the low side pressure reading with the engine at 1500 rpm with the AC on full cold with the bloer set on max, and what is the outside ambient temp?
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information