NBA Playoffs

-The Glove-

Reaction score
You also can't forget FREE THROWS! 2 late game free throws on separate occasions could have sealed it.

SirTed

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1nlqiadx said:
You also can't forget FREE THROWS! 2 late game free throws on separate occasions could have sealed it.

no doubt. I was pissed about all three -Parker, Manu and Leonard split late free throws. I only didn't mention it because I didn't want to seem like even more of an "old basketball curmudgeon" than I already appear.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SirTed":1q3xtta9 said:
-The Glove-":1q3xtta9 said:

no doubt. I was pissed about all three -Parker, Manu and Leonard split late free throws. I only didn't mention it because I didn't want to seem like even more of an "old basketball curmudgeon" than I already appear.
Leonard, I can understand. He's only 21 playing on the biggest stage of his life...I'm surprised he's held up to the pressure so well. TP and Manu has been there before. They've gotta capitalize on those. The game was theirs to take.

TravTex

Reaction score
SirTed":2x4qrnuf said:
TravTex":2x4qrnuf said:
SirTed":2x4qrnuf said:
Thanks, man. Happy to get to talk hoops.

I can't express enough disgust for Ginobli. Yeah, I'm in San Antonio, and I'm sure he's a great guy that's invested in the community and does HEB commercials and whatever, but AAAARGH. Even when the dude would MAKE a shot, my wife and I were screaming at the TV. The second Manu touches the ball, seriously. Both of us, "NOOOOO!!!" It's completely absurd. He flails around, plays Manu vs Other Guys, then just awkwardly chucks the ball up if he hasn't already lost it.

He's making more money than Duncan. Does he have incriminating photos of Pop in his locker? What the hell?

8 turnovers in a single possession game. I put the loss directly on top of Manu's head.

9pts. 8turns. 36min.
No Question that's where the lion's share of the blame belongs. I'm just as frustrated with Ginobli as you but it is important to remember what that guy has done for the franchise, and that he's a SURE FIRE HoFer. He's been really bad this post season, and even when he was great, he often had me ripping my hair out BUT he also makes plays that no one is else willing or capable of making. Unfortunately, those instances have dwindled in the last few years.

For SA to win, and again my brain says they can and WILL they really neit can be ed another player to step up other than Parker, Duncan, Diaw (defensively) and the unbelievably consistent almost superstar Kwai Leonard.

Oh, no doubt. I'm not as full of Manu Hatred as my wife, lol. But I do think he needs to evolve or move on. He's always flailed around and made things happen, it's just that the returns from his efforts have declined to the point that he can single-handedly suck the life out of his own team.

Future's still bright in San Antonio, though. Kawhi Leonard is quietly outstanding and just about to turn 22. Danny Green's 25 years old and holding a NBA Finals record. I'm not sold on Splitter, yet.

niveky

Reaction score
The interesting thing for me as a Spurs fan is that....
Lebron went off...Allen went off at the end of the game and then had some good hustle in OT. Miller and Chalmers were playing pretty well. They all seemed to be feeding off of Lebron. They were playing out of their minds to close out the game.

The Spurs had 13 turnovers, there was the 6-23 night by Parker. the 8 turnovers by Ginobili alone. Duncan was pretty silent in the second half with his scoring.

I tend to agree with the analysts siting the rest for Parker and Duncan towards the end of the 3rd. Splitter was horrid, even with the two buckets. This is the finals, you don't take Duncan and Parker out until/if you've built another 15-20 point lead sometime in the fourth quarter, and then you don't take them both out at the same time. Not with the way the Heat kept pushing.

The Spurs actually were doing what is pretty common for themselves. They got that run going and were up by that 10 points and it was looking like another blowout..but he took his foot off the pedal too fast because of concern for minutes...if they would have won last night he would not have had to worry about that anymore. The players are big boys, they know what is at stake. Leave them in.

That said, the Spurs repeatedly shot themselves in the foot when they had the game in the bag. Despite the huge momentum shift from the Heat, the Spurs only had to make 2 more ft's and it would have been over. In overtime they had enough time for Ginobili to take a bit more time, or at least kick it out when he sucked all those defenders over to him when OT was almost over. The Heat barely beat the Spurs despite all of those unforced errors that are on the heads of the Spurs alone.

I am pretty sure that they will play a much cleaner game tomorrow, and it wouldn't surprise me if they limited the turnovers similar to what happened in game 1. Look for the ball movement to be much crisper, and they WILL find ways to get their shooters going even if Parker, Duncan, Ginobili, Leonard, and/or Diaw are used to penetrate or as decoys to suck 1 or 2 extra defenders to them and kick the ball back out instead of penetrate to the hoop.

No matter what happens I'm extremely excited with the development of Kawhi Leonard. He pushed up his ppg by about 4 per game from last season to this season and then kicked it up another 2-2.5 points per game in the playoffs, and in these finals he has averaged 13.83 pts per game, 10.3 rebounds a game, and 2.16 steals a game. This is only his second year and he is only 21. He has already improved by leaps and bounds this year and as this series has progressed he has really stepped up offensively while keeping up his defensive intensity all around hustle and just doing all the little things he needs to do to help the Spurs. One of my favorite moments was a little crafty thing he did where he just acted like he was going to put his hand out to swat at Lebron and it cause an unforced turnover out of bounds. He is also showing a real knack for giving the Spurs a bit of some needed energy and momentum. His habit he's starting to have of causing turnovers and hustling down court for easy transition baskets is awesome. I'm really excited about this kid and hope he stays a Spur for his entire career. If his growth in this series has been any indication I am holding my breath that we might see him break out even further tomorrow. The one thing I think did get to him is his ft shooting was around 80% or so during the regular season and its been 63.3% in the playoffs.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
pehawk":14027o80 said:
Any teams better than the Heat.

They need to look to their opposite bench for a blueprint. Don't clog the roster with 2001 Sonics and Grizzlies. Get athlete's to compensate for Wades age/injuries.

The Heat totally defeated a superior Thunder team. I think Spolstra is that bad within series and the rosters THAT laughable.
If wasn't for a former Sonic saving their ass in game 6, the Heat would have gone home. LeBron sure didn't save their ass.

niveky

Reaction score
Throwdown":6cdhze3l said:
Kawhai Leonard, if Pop sticks around is going to be the next torch bearer for the Spurs franchise, and he'll still have Parker with him. I really like that young man.

Well, what do you know? A little common ground there.....I'll go one up on that and he has been my favorite player for quite some time now, the change took place sometime this season. I was already really high on him after watching his contributions last year as a rookie. That kid can flat out play. As I mentioned earlier, if he gets to where he can consistently put up an offensive effort like he did in game 6, to go along with everything else he brings to the table, he is going to be a scary player. I only say if because there are no guarantees..but he puts in all the work and does all the right things so until I get proved wrong, I have all the faith in him and his continued growth with the Spurs.

The Radish

Reaction score
I don't watch roundball at all anymore but this series has made interesting headlines and reading in our newspaper.

The way everyone talked I thought the Heat would sadly win in 4, but the Spurs have made it close. From someone who doesn't watch I would think their best chance of winning was that 6th game.

But we will see.

This series has been good for basketball because even people like me that finds todays game boring as reading pehawk posts are at least reading about it.

Best example of team play I've seen for a long time.

:les:

Cartire

Reaction score
Heat never fail when their backs are against the wall

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
The Spurs chance to win it all was last game...hard to see any way in which the Heat fail to get this one.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The way Ginobli has played the last 2 games has me seriously wondering if he's throwing the series. Like some Argentinian gangster got to him or something.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
JSeahawks":himocpun said:
The way Ginobli has played the last 2 games has me seriously wondering if he's throwing the series. Like some Argentinian gangster got to him or something.

He has been especially bonkers right at the end of the last couple games, I noticed that as well. He didn't seem to ever have a plan and realized it after he left the ground.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Pop needs to be grilled on why he stuck with Ginobili the last 2 games. Take TP out and let Ginobili run the point? Wtf? Take Duncan out, your best defender, the last couple possessions of regulation?

Best coach in the league, hands down, but very questionable moves.