NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:50 pm
  • Rest in peace, James Gandolfini; also known as Tony Soprano.

    This sucks. 51 years old, and he dies from a heart attack. I guess there won't be a Sopranos movie after all, now.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1377435
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24102
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:57 pm
  • I was just coming to report the same thing. Sad indeed. One of the top 5 shows of all time, imo. Just a little below The Wire.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18498
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:11 pm
  • This is so stupid.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 13946
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:12 pm
  • Damn
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    User avatar
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *
     
    Posts: 2938
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:37 pm
  • 51. Damn shame.
    _________________
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1746
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 pm
  • I spent 45 mins desperately hoping it was a hoax
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

    Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    User avatar
    cdallan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 788
    Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am
    Location: Scotland


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:This is so stupid.

    Actually, it's life. Or in this case, death. My brother getting hit by a motorcycle and dying one late Saturday night when he was 20 year old, that was stupid. Gandolfini had a good, full life.

    It'll happen to everyone, so like I said..... it's life.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8955
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:35 pm
  • R.I.P. O.G.

    Image
    User avatar
    Dreadbelch
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 219
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 pm


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:42 pm
  • He redefined gangster. Age 51 is too young for talent like that.
    User avatar
    12evanf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 pm
  • Never got into the Soprano's, but he was great in a lot of different movies. Too bad.
    User avatar
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1605
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:41 pm


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:35 pm
  • Meh...
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4192
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:44 am
  • I'm not about to disrespect the guy with a 'meh...', but I don't get a lot of the hero-worship here. He was a decent actor, but a bit of a one-trick pony. I never got into the Sopranos. Tried a couple of times, but it didn't do it for me, and I'm a fan of gangster films. It is sad that he passed away at only 51.

    I think people are mourning Tony Soprano more than they are James Gandolfini.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10423
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 am
  • 51 is too young for anyway to lose their life, regardless what walks of life they're in... He was a heavy man, i'm sure that played a part.. One trick pony or not, he was an icon, and will be missed..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3879
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 am
  • If your only point is to come in here and crap on a celebrity who just died, (yes, Jazz/Sutz/Peaches, that's exactly what you did) then please just stay out.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24102
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 am
  • Hey, what? No, that wasn't my only point. That may have been Sammy's point, but not mine. He was a good actor, as I said, but I genuinelyt think that people are only sad because it's Tony Soprano, not because it's James Gandolfini.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10423
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:52 am
  • Of course we're sad primarily because of the iconic role he played and was known for, it's not like any of us knows James Gandolfini the PERSON in real life, for Christ's Sake. Nobody mourns a celebrity death for the person, even if they think they do. Comments like "I don't get a lot of the hero worship here" are best left out of online obituary threads. No matter what anybody thought of him as an overall actor, he absolutely nailed the role of Tony Soprano, and I don't care if you didn't like the show; a ton of people did.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24102
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:53 am
  • Still better than 'meh...'
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10423
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:23 am
  • Very sad. He was a good actor and died way too young.
    User avatar
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2226
    Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 am
  • Very sad, he was one of my favorite actors.
    Image
    User avatar
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1877
    Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
    Location: Bay Area, CA


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:43 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Of course we're sad primarily because of the iconic role he played and was known for, it's not like any of us knows James Gandolfini the PERSON in real life, for Christ's Sake. Nobody mourns a celebrity death for the person, even if they think they do. Comments like "I don't get a lot of the hero worship here" are best left out of online obituary threads. No matter what anybody thought of him as an overall actor, he absolutely nailed the role of Tony Soprano, and I don't care if you didn't like the show; a ton of people did.


    This is exactly what I thought, and almost typed out the same response, even with identical wording in places. Great minds think alike.

    I even thought of the thread a few weeks back when Edith Bunker died. Was anyone on here mourning her for anything other than her portrayal of a dutiful, faithful, loving wife to that infamous ignorant bigot, Archie?
    User avatar
    12evanf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:This is so stupid.

    Actually, it's life. Or in this case, death. My brother getting hit by a motorcycle and dying one late Saturday night when he was 20 year old, that was stupid. Gandolfini had a good, full life.

    It'll happen to everyone, so like I said..... it's life.


    It's the stupidest part of life. And I'm happy for you that you've gotten to a place where you're able to just accept death as a part of life, I really hope I can get there one day. But for now I hate it. I hate death and everything about it. And I think it's stupid.

    From everything I've heard about James he was a great, kind, lovable person. And he played one of the greatest, most iconic rolls in television history. I'm genuinely sad he's dead. And I don't give 2 shits how anybody else feels about that. RIP.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 13946
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 pm
  • R.I.P. but his passing to me is just like every other person in the world that died recently.

    His acting had zero impact in my life as I saw maybe 2 Soprano episodes.

    Guys like Ray Manzarek of the Doors who died recently and barely got a sniff from those on this board had a major affect on my life with the amazing music he made that will never die.
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22113
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:If your only point is to come in here and crap on a celebrity who just died, (yes, Jazz/Sutz/Peaches, that's exactly what you did) then please just stay out.

    No, I didn't. And for one who craps on every thread he sees, that's damned ironic of you to criticize. Fact is, I'm sad he died, and it always worries me when one of my generation passes away, especially when he's younger than me. Tho not a huge fan of 'The Sopranos', I've always liked and admired his work.

    So, ef you too. Your post was very prick-like.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8955
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:03 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:This is so stupid.

    Actually, it's life. Or in this case, death. My brother getting hit by a motorcycle and dying one late Saturday night when he was 20 year old, that was stupid. Gandolfini had a good, full life.

    It'll happen to everyone, so like I said..... it's life.


    It's the stupidest part of life. And I'm happy for you that you've gotten to a place where you're able to just accept death as a part of life, I really hope I can get there one day. But for now I hate it. I hate death and everything about it. And I think it's stupid.

    From everything I've heard about James he was a great, kind, lovable person. And he played one of the greatest, most iconic rolls in television history. I'm genuinely sad he's dead. And I don't give 2 shits how anybody else feels about that. RIP.

    Well, I just dealt with my dad dying 5 months ago. I hated everything about it. But the fact is, it's gonna happen to us all.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8955
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:R.I.P. but his passing to me is just like every other person in the world that died recently.

    His acting had zero impact in my life as I saw maybe 2 Soprano episodes.

    Guys like Ray Manzarek of the Doors who died recently and barely got a sniff from those on this board had a major affect on my life with the amazing music he made that will never die.


    Ray Manzarek was an awesome drummer and deserves respect. However, he was the drummer for a band with an iconic front man and not a lot of people are going to recognize that.

    James Gandolfini was the star of one of the best TV shows ever.
    User avatar
    12evanf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:20 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:No, I didn't. And for one who craps on every thread he sees, that's damned ironic of you to criticize. Fact is, I'm sad he died, and it always worries me when one of my generation passes away, especially when he's younger than me. Tho not a huge fan of 'The Sopranos', I've always liked and admired his work.

    So, ef you too. Your post was very prick-like.


    Yes, you did. If you went to a random funeral and the son of the person in the casket at said funeral said "This is so stupid", hating the fact that his mother or father just died, and you replied with what you did here - "Actually, no, that's life." You'd get punched in the face. It may not have been your intent, but intent is irrelevant and the fact of the matter is that your response was disrespectfully cheeky in an "X has passed away" thread. I've also not once ever trolled or crapped on any thread about anyone who has passed away. Even people I don't like, I have more respect than that for; so, I guess you know where that "ef you too" can go.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24102
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm
  • 12evanf wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:R.I.P. but his passing to me is just like every other person in the world that died recently.

    His acting had zero impact in my life as I saw maybe 2 Soprano episodes.

    Guys like Ray Manzarek of the Doors who died recently and barely got a sniff from those on this board had a major affect on my life with the amazing music he made that will never die.


    Ray Manzarek was an awesome drummer and deserves respect. However, he was the drummer for a band with an iconic front man and not a lot of people are going to recognize that.

    James Gandolfini was the star of one of the best TV shows ever.


    Incorrect Mr. Factoid. John Densmore was the drummer of the Doors. Ray Manzarek created all the iconic keyboards of the Doors AND played bass at the same time, also on the keys.

    Maybe think next time before posting?
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22113
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:43 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:No, I didn't. And for one who craps on every thread he sees, that's damned ironic of you to criticize. Fact is, I'm sad he died, and it always worries me when one of my generation passes away, especially when he's younger than me. Tho not a huge fan of 'The Sopranos', I've always liked and admired his work.

    So, ef you too. Your post was very prick-like.


    Yes, you did. If you went to a random funeral and the son of the person in the casket at said funeral said "This is so stupid", hating the fact that his mother or father just died, and you replied with what you did here - "Actually, no, that's life." You'd get punched in the face. It may not have been your intent, but intent is irrelevant and the fact of the matter is that your response was disrespectfully cheeky in an "X has passed away" thread. I've also not once ever trolled or crapped on any thread about anyone who has passed away. Even people I don't like, I have more respect than that for; so, I guess you know where that "ef you too" can go.

    I completely disagree, but I'm done with being drawn into your stupid arguments that you always do. Later.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8955
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 am
  • Largent80 wrote:
    12evanf wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:R.I.P. but his passing to me is just like every other person in the world that died recently.

    His acting had zero impact in my life as I saw maybe 2 Soprano episodes.

    Guys like Ray Manzarek of the Doors who died recently and barely got a sniff from those on this board had a major affect on my life with the amazing music he made that will never die.


    Ray Manzarek was an awesome drummer and deserves respect. However, he was the drummer for a band with an iconic front man and not a lot of people are going to recognize that.

    James Gandolfini was the star of one of the best TV shows ever.


    Incorrect Mr. Factoid. John Densmore was the drummer of the Doors. Ray Manzarek created all the iconic keyboards of the Doors AND played bass at the same time, also on the keys.

    Maybe think next time before posting?


    LOL. Yeah, I like the Doors and obviously showed my knowledge about their freakin' keyboardist. Again, he wasn't Jim Morrison. James Gandolfini was a Jim Morrison.
    User avatar
    12evanf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:44 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Well, I just dealt with my dad dying 5 months ago. I hated everything about it. But the fact is, it's gonna happen to us all.


    Yeah, I remember you going through that. It's tough. I don't remember if I offered you my condolences then or not but you were in my thoughts and prayers. I worry about my dad dying every single day so it hurts when I see somebody else go through it.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 13946
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:59 pm
  • It is indeed stupid and it's a fact of life and those who are grieving could get a bit torqued hearing someone suggesting it's a fact of life, mostly cuz they could also overreact if one said the sun was up on a sunny day. I find it's easier to take if you take Jazz' viewpoint, but many do not... to each their own. I lost my mother, my home and my father-in-law in a 6 month period and taking it as it was helped. What is clearly important is the need to move on, but not necessarily right after the shovels are put away.

    As to Gandolfini, he was much more than just Big Tony.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    User avatar
    Rocket
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1194
    Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 pm
    Location: The Rain Forest


Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:04 pm
  • Slim Whitman died the same day more importantly (but of course there was little to no news given).
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 654
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:14 pm




It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Scottemojo and 3 guests