NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:50 pm
  • Rest in peace, James Gandolfini; also known as Tony Soprano.

This sucks. 51 years old, and he dies from a heart attack. I guess there won't be a Sopranos movie after all, now.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1377435
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: NOOO!!! James Gandolfini died. :(
Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:57 pm
  • I was just coming to report the same thing. Sad indeed. One of the top 5 shows of all time, imo. Just a little below The Wire.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:11 pm
  • This is so stupid.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:12 pm
  • Damn
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:37 pm
  • 51. Damn shame.
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 pm
  • I spent 45 mins desperately hoping it was a hoax
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:This is so stupid.

Actually, it's life. Or in this case, death. My brother getting hit by a motorcycle and dying one late Saturday night when he was 20 year old, that was stupid. Gandolfini had a good, full life.

It'll happen to everyone, so like I said..... it's life.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:35 pm
  • R.I.P. O.G.

Dreadbelch
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:42 pm
  • He redefined gangster. Age 51 is too young for talent like that.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 pm
  • Never got into the Soprano's, but he was great in a lot of different movies. Too bad.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:35 pm
  • Meh...
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:44 am
  • I'm not about to disrespect the guy with a 'meh...', but I don't get a lot of the hero-worship here. He was a decent actor, but a bit of a one-trick pony. I never got into the Sopranos. Tried a couple of times, but it didn't do it for me, and I'm a fan of gangster films. It is sad that he passed away at only 51.

I think people are mourning Tony Soprano more than they are James Gandolfini.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 am
  • 51 is too young for anyway to lose their life, regardless what walks of life they're in... He was a heavy man, i'm sure that played a part.. One trick pony or not, he was an icon, and will be missed..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 am
  • If your only point is to come in here and crap on a celebrity who just died, (yes, Jazz/Sutz/Peaches, that's exactly what you did) then please just stay out.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 am
  • Hey, what? No, that wasn't my only point. That may have been Sammy's point, but not mine. He was a good actor, as I said, but I genuinelyt think that people are only sad because it's Tony Soprano, not because it's James Gandolfini.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:52 am
  • Of course we're sad primarily because of the iconic role he played and was known for, it's not like any of us knows James Gandolfini the PERSON in real life, for Christ's Sake. Nobody mourns a celebrity death for the person, even if they think they do. Comments like "I don't get a lot of the hero worship here" are best left out of online obituary threads. No matter what anybody thought of him as an overall actor, he absolutely nailed the role of Tony Soprano, and I don't care if you didn't like the show; a ton of people did.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:53 am
  • Still better than 'meh...'
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:23 am
  • Very sad. He was a good actor and died way too young.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 am
  • Very sad, he was one of my favorite actors.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:43 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Of course we're sad primarily because of the iconic role he played and was known for, it's not like any of us knows James Gandolfini the PERSON in real life, for Christ's Sake. Nobody mourns a celebrity death for the person, even if they think they do. Comments like "I don't get a lot of the hero worship here" are best left out of online obituary threads. No matter what anybody thought of him as an overall actor, he absolutely nailed the role of Tony Soprano, and I don't care if you didn't like the show; a ton of people did.

This is exactly what I thought, and almost typed out the same response, even with identical wording in places. Great minds think alike.

I even thought of the thread a few weeks back when Edith Bunker died. Was anyone on here mourning her for anything other than her portrayal of a dutiful, faithful, loving wife to that infamous ignorant bigot, Archie?
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:This is so stupid.

Actually, it's life. Or in this case, death. My brother getting hit by a motorcycle and dying one late Saturday night when he was 20 year old, that was stupid. Gandolfini had a good, full life.

It's the stupidest part of life. And I'm happy for you that you've gotten to a place where you're able to just accept death as a part of life, I really hope I can get there one day. But for now I hate it. I hate death and everything about it. And I think it's stupid.

From everything I've heard about James he was a great, kind, lovable person. And he played one of the greatest, most iconic rolls in television history. I'm genuinely sad he's dead. And I don't give 2 shits how anybody else feels about that. RIP.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 pm
  • R.I.P. but his passing to me is just like every other person in the world that died recently.

His acting had zero impact in my life as I saw maybe 2 Soprano episodes.

Guys like Ray Manzarek of the Doors who died recently and barely got a sniff from those on this board had a major affect on my life with the amazing music he made that will never die.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:If your only point is to come in here and crap on a celebrity who just died, (yes, Jazz/Sutz/Peaches, that's exactly what you did) then please just stay out.

No, I didn't. And for one who craps on every thread he sees, that's damned ironic of you to criticize. Fact is, I'm sad he died, and it always worries me when one of my generation passes away, especially when he's younger than me. Tho not a huge fan of 'The Sopranos', I've always liked and admired his work.

So, ef you too. Your post was very prick-like.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:03 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:This is so stupid.

It's the stupidest part of life. And I'm happy for you that you've gotten to a place where you're able to just accept death as a part of life, I really hope I can get there one day. But for now I hate it. I hate death and everything about it. And I think it's stupid.

From everything I've heard about James he was a great, kind, lovable person. And he played one of the greatest, most iconic rolls in television history. I'm genuinely sad he's dead. And I don't give 2 shits how anybody else feels about that. RIP.

Well, I just dealt with my dad dying 5 months ago. I hated everything about it. But the fact is, it's gonna happen to us all.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:R.I.P. but his passing to me is just like every other person in the world that died recently.

Guys like Ray Manzarek of the Doors who died recently and barely got a sniff from those on this board had a major affect on my life with the amazing music he made that will never die.

Ray Manzarek was an awesome drummer and deserves respect. However, he was the drummer for a band with an iconic front man and not a lot of people are going to recognize that.

James Gandolfini was the star of one of the best TV shows ever.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:20 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:No, I didn't. And for one who craps on every thread he sees, that's damned ironic of you to criticize. Fact is, I'm sad he died, and it always worries me when one of my generation passes away, especially when he's younger than me. Tho not a huge fan of 'The Sopranos', I've always liked and admired his work.

Yes, you did. If you went to a random funeral and the son of the person in the casket at said funeral said "This is so stupid", hating the fact that his mother or father just died, and you replied with what you did here - "Actually, no, that's life." You'd get punched in the face. It may not have been your intent, but intent is irrelevant and the fact of the matter is that your response was disrespectfully cheeky in an "X has passed away" thread. I've also not once ever trolled or crapped on any thread about anyone who has passed away. Even people I don't like, I have more respect than that for; so, I guess you know where that "ef you too" can go.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm
  • 12evanf wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:R.I.P. but his passing to me is just like every other person in the world that died recently.

Ray Manzarek was an awesome drummer and deserves respect. However, he was the drummer for a band with an iconic front man and not a lot of people are going to recognize that.

Incorrect Mr. Factoid. John Densmore was the drummer of the Doors. Ray Manzarek created all the iconic keyboards of the Doors AND played bass at the same time, also on the keys.

Maybe think next time before posting?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:43 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:No, I didn't. And for one who craps on every thread he sees, that's damned ironic of you to criticize. Fact is, I'm sad he died, and it always worries me when one of my generation passes away, especially when he's younger than me. Tho not a huge fan of 'The Sopranos', I've always liked and admired his work.

Yes, you did. If you went to a random funeral and the son of the person in the casket at said funeral said "This is so stupid", hating the fact that his mother or father just died, and you replied with what you did here - "Actually, no, that's life." You'd get punched in the face. It may not have been your intent, but intent is irrelevant and the fact of the matter is that your response was disrespectfully cheeky in an "X has passed away" thread. I've also not once ever trolled or crapped on any thread about anyone who has passed away. Even people I don't like, I have more respect than that for; so, I guess you know where that "ef you too" can go.

I completely disagree, but I'm done with being drawn into your stupid arguments that you always do. Later.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 am
  • Largent80 wrote:
    12evanf wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:R.I.P. but his passing to me is just like every other person in the world that died recently.

Incorrect Mr. Factoid. John Densmore was the drummer of the Doors. Ray Manzarek created all the iconic keyboards of the Doors AND played bass at the same time, also on the keys.

Maybe think next time before posting?

LOL. Yeah, I like the Doors and obviously showed my knowledge about their freakin' keyboardist. Again, he wasn't Jim Morrison. James Gandolfini was a Jim Morrison.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:44 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Well, I just dealt with my dad dying 5 months ago. I hated everything about it. But the fact is, it's gonna happen to us all.

Yeah, I remember you going through that. It's tough. I don't remember if I offered you my condolences then or not but you were in my thoughts and prayers. I worry about my dad dying every single day so it hurts when I see somebody else go through it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:59 pm
  • It is indeed stupid and it's a fact of life and those who are grieving could get a bit torqued hearing someone suggesting it's a fact of life, mostly cuz they could also overreact if one said the sun was up on a sunny day. I find it's easier to take if you take Jazz' viewpoint, but many do not... to each their own. I lost my mother, my home and my father-in-law in a 6 month period and taking it as it was helped. What is clearly important is the need to move on, but not necessarily right after the shovels are put away.

As to Gandolfini, he was much more than just Big Tony.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:04 pm
  • Slim Whitman died the same day more importantly (but of course there was little to no news given).
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information