Let's Talk Mariners

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2dapenyd said:
You mean besides the 98 MPH fastball. I think he will be fine. All pitchers go through this, he will get through it. We definitely shouldn't give up on him.

Yup. For whatever reason (and there could be myriads of them) the bartender has lost his mojo right now, but i have no reservations that it's not coming back. His stuff is just too good.

As far as Brandon League, well, mattingly has figured out what he's got there now too, hence League's removal from the closer role.

The Outfield

Reaction score
m0ng0":2bsztcmd said:
Bonderman is starting to impress

His last few outings have been impressive, but his strikeout rate hasn't been. Not sure if he can keep this up without striking people out.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The Outfield":3sxvd8hb said:
m0ng0":3sxvd8hb said:
Bonderman is starting to impress

His last few outings have been impressive, but his strikeout rate hasn't been. Not sure if he can keep this up without striking people out.
Jamie Moyer disagrees with you. :D
Bottom line, if he's learned how to get people out it doesn't matter how. We'll see but it's looking pretty good right now. Rooting for you Jeremy, especially since you're a Pasco guy.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Mariners get Felix more than enough run support and than he gives it up......man nothing ever goes right for our M's.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":mqsfiiit said:
Mariners get Felix more than enough run support and than he gives it up......man nothing ever goes right for our M's.

I ran to town to get our 50# burlap sacks of wheat and flour and other assorted vittles around the top of the 4th and we're up 8-2. The last thing i hear heading out the door is that Felix is 28-0 when we score 7+ runs in 31 starts he's been fortunate enough to have been spotted...in. Make sense?

Well he's still 28-0 and we still managed to lose. Figures. Again.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I am so glad they are starting to bring some of these kids up ! Zunino was clutch last night

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So, July 1st is tomorrow. Who do you think Seattle will trade away before the end of the month? My guess is Ibanez is garnering the most attention.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SeatownJay":10wuj26j said:
So, July 1st is tomorrow. Who do you think Seattle will trade away before the end of the month? My guess is Ibanez is garnering the most attention.
Agree. Dude is still an very fine major league hitter. May break Teddy Ballgame's record for homers in a season by a player age 40+. Record is 29 dingers (Williams did it at age 41 in 1960, his last season).

Tical21

Reaction score
I think Wilhelmsen will be fine. He's having trouble with his mechanics. Sometimes flying open, sometimes throwing across his body. He just can't put the ball where he wants to, with any of his pitches. He used to live knee-high on the black with his fastball, and then would throw it up and out of the zone with two strikes. He's leaving the fastball in the middle of the plate now, belt high, or way out of the zone. I don't care how hard you throw, you're gonna get touched if you start doing that. He has also lost command of the curve, and hangs it or pulls it across the zone.

It looks like the first batch of kids, our highest rated prospects, are possibly all busts. Now the second wave of kids coming up, most of them less acclaimed, hopefully are ball players. We'll see how Franklin reacts after teams adjust to him. He's going to struggle at some point, how will he come out of it? I don't like Miller's stance. He's lunge-ish. That is a gimmick built for more bat speed that usually gets exposed at this level. Zunino looks like he came up way too soon. Looks pretty lost at the plate.

Is this Jack Z putting all his chips on the table? These guys will be attached to his legacy, not somebody else's. So he's going to bring up everybody he's got so he can take credit for all of them. Is there any chance he or Wedge are around next season?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They need one of the 3 of Ackley, Montero, Smoak, to be a decent player, and I know he is young but I have serious doubts about Montero. I have more faith in the second wave of Franklin, Zunino, and Miller, who may have been considered less talented but are scrappy and seem to have a better "drive" than the first wave. Just one guy's opinion!

Hawker

Reaction score
Tical21":2ltbmovi said:
It looks like the first batch of kids, our highest rated prospects, are possibly all busts. Now the second wave of kids coming up, most of them less acclaimed, hopefully are ball players. We'll see how Franklin reacts after teams adjust to him. He's going to struggle at some point, how will he come out of it? I don't like Miller's stance. He's lunge-ish. That is a gimmick built for more bat speed that usually gets exposed at this level.

I haven't watched every game recently like I have in seasons past, but, I've noticed a lot of great things about both Miller and Franklin. Call me crazy, but I saw a smaller John Olerud style about Miller's approach (and swing) at the plate. His open stance presents itself well from that side of the plate, I suppose. Big things! (I hope)

hawker84

Reaction score
I haven't either, but besides Ibanez and Kyle is there any starters left on the roster? Smoak i think and the pitching staff? Or is it pretty much all call ups at this point.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm gonna call my shot right now. I'm sold. This is the group that is going to make it happen (players). Not all of them, mind you, but most of them. After this season, we're going to make the playoffs at least five of the next ten years. Remember this month, and this season. This will be the one we look back on like we do the 2002 Seahawks. Nick Franklin will continue to be the catalyst. Seager will continue to be the rock. Ackley will be a perennial .300 hitter. Zunino is going to be Dan Wilson with a little more pop during his prime. They are still a speedster and a stud middle of the order bat short, but they'll get them. Felix is going to lead a phenomenal young staff for years to come. And there will be hardware.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Tical21":2obrmut5 said:
I'm gonna call my shot right now. I'm sold. This is the group that is going to make it happen (players). Not all of them, mind you, but most of them. After this season, we're going to make the playoffs at least five of the next ten years. Remember this month, and this season. This will be the one we look back on like we do the 2002 Seahawks. Nick Franklin will continue to be the catalyst. Seager will continue to be the rock. Ackley will be a perennial .300 hitter. Zunino is going to be Dan Wilson with a little more pop during his prime. They are still a speedster and a stud middle of the order bat short, but they'll get them. Felix is going to lead a phenomenal young staff for years to come. And there will be hardware.
I say that with different names every year.... For let's see about 10 years now.

KK84

Reaction score
Tical21":2jktn7pl said:

Oh no. As an eternal optimist I've said the similar things for years. Now that I've finally convinced myself to stop hoping and stop letting the losing bother me you do this…… thanks a lot.

Tical21

Reaction score
KK84":2l0j4mzh said:
Tical21":2l0j4mzh said:

Oh no. As an eternal optimist I've said the similar things for years. Now that I've finally convinced myself to stop hoping and stop letting the losing bother me you do this…… thanks a lot.
Sorry my friend. I've been the exact opposite. I've known since 2002 that we didn't have any hope until we built through the farm again, and that it would take FOREVER. Jack Z is doing what I was screaming for. Over the next two years, we're going to be young, improving, and CHEAP. Perfect! Once we build momentum, that is when we spend the dough for the final piece or two.

I'm bullish on Montero. He has such a sweet swing. He just needs the right coach.

I'd love to find a way to keep Kendrys, but won't lose too much sleep when we can't.

Sorry, but I don't think Miller will make it. His stance is the way it is because he can't generate enough bat speed with a balanced stance. You don't see guys swing against their body and make it. That swing is too long. And he has to open his feet to compensate so he doesn't pull out. In the end, because this makes such a long swing, he has to guess right, or he's F'd. Guys at this level are just too nasty to guess right all the time. It is a shame, because we don't have a lot coming up at short besides him and Triuenfel. Things get so much easier if one of them can play.

Wilhelmsen is almost back. Still left a few pitches too high. He was as good as anybody in the business at locating his fastball. He's on the right track.

Now we need one last good ol' fashioned fire sale. Sell Ibanez. Sell Morales. Sell Morse if you can. Sell Perez. Would a team give us anything decent for a combination of these guys? I'm still on the fence about trading Iwakuma. I can't see him keeping up this pace for the next several years, so my head says to trade him while he has a bunch of value. But the dare to dream mentality thinks maybe he can pitch really good for the next 2-3 years. Maybe I'll roll the dice and keep him around.

I'm optimistic basically for one reason, Franklin. We've needed somebody for a decade now that was so confident and gritty that he was immune to the culture of failure and not hitting. We've needed somebody to come in and say "I don't care if the rest of you aren't hitting, I don't care about the ballpark, I don't care about the losing, I'm just going to hit, dammit". Similar to McCutchan in Pittsburgh. And it has to be done with flair. Only then can it be infectious. It will get the most out of Ackley and Zunino. Can it inspire Smoak? Meh, doubtful. How does your 1st baseman have 13 RBI at the halfway mark?

I hope Jack Z gets to keep his job. I wouldn't mind a new manager though. Wedge isn't the problem, but I don't think he is the solution either. Sadly, there is no way they let Jack Z hire another new manager. They're probably both as good as gone.

Latest posts