NBA Playoffs

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
im only a heat fan because I can't stand the spurs. but if this is how bad the nba product has gotten. I have other things to do sorry for bother u all.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":1418e09d said:
im only a heat fan because I can't stand the spurs. but if this is how bad the nba product has gotten. I have other things to do sorry for bother u all.
And I'm only a Spurs fan cuz I hate the Heat.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
JSeahawks":yn5f45wt said:
I still think the Heat win this thing.
I think so too

The spurs need players to play above their normal capabilities.

The Heat just need their players to play up to their abilities.

SirTed

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":2qhullis said:

What is there to hate about the Spurs?

how bad the product has gotten?

This is an incredibly ignorant post. I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about? I realize the Spurs have their boring reputation or whatever, but I think you may need to reexamine whatever the hell you're looking for in a basketball game, or just stop watching the sport all together.

If you don't like Manu for his flopping, I can understand that. I really can. I'm a Spurs fan, but I hate it - but at the very least you have to acknowledge that flopping extends FAR beyond Manu Ginobli and the San Antonio Spurs. The Heat have more (and bigger floppers) That is a FACT. Wade, and Battier being the worst. See also Mario Chalmers and EVEN THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD - Lebron James will get in the act. But even if you can't acknowledge that Miami is worse, they are at LEAST equal and it's something that permeates the league (although it usually boils down to only 1-2 plays a game)

That aside, what else could their possibly be? And let's examine the series as a WHOLE.

On one side, you have the Spurs style - heavy pick and roll (the whole league is pick and roll, but SA is easily the best) and all 5 guys touch the ball on every possession. You've got an ALL TIME LEGEND in Tim Duncan, a great post player, and great pick and roll player, a great defender. Basically the guy does every thing incredible. Shoot - I love seeing his outlet passing! Two hands, overhead bounce passes to Parker IN STRIDE! Love!

The passing this team displays should leave most viewers and especially a hardcore basketball fan in awe. Not to mention their 5 man defense of Lebron James - the most physically dominating player of the modern era(sorry Shaq) and easily the best player in the world. It's not perfect - but it's pretty special to watch 5 guys on a string communicating to try and minimize the damage done by a player who is basically unguardable if given an inch of forward momentum.

Then - if for some REALLY STUPID REASON none of that is appealing to you - there's the Heat. They're almost everything the Spurs are not (with the exception of pick and roll heavy). You're far more likely to see isolation play (most people's beef with the modern NBA) BUT I will say that you're also much more likely to see incredible INDIVIDUAL plays (which have their place, and merit). The Heat also give you exquisite transition / fast break game. Plus - Miami with all of their athleticism are even more stifling in the half court than SA.

The coaching moves have been pretty exciting as well! I'm too lazy to spell all of those out - but there's been great chess moves by both sides. Pop is the best in the biz - for fun - watch close every time the Spurs come out of a timeout (with the ball). Somebody on that staff (probably Pop) is better at drawing up plays than anyone I've ever seen. They get a GREAT uncontested look out of almost every timeout. Pretty special. And I'm more impressed with Spo than ever before. Not only is he managing HUGE egos (something Pop doesn't have to) but his adjustments game to game have been pretty great. - Excited to see how he handles the disaster Mike Miller has been in the starting lineup (especially with Manu starting as well).

I know the games haven't been that close, but the back and forth of the series is incredible. I like to think of it as a great boxing match - and each fighter is making adjustments round to round. They say styles make fights - and I think the analogy applies here as well. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

I still think the Heat take it in 7. Go Spurs though.

aawolf

Reaction score
SirTed":1sfq9ayo said:
hawkcrazzed":1sfq9ayo said:

What is there to hate about the Spurs?

how bad the product has gotten?

This is an incredibly ignorant post. I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about? I realize the Spurs have their boring reputation or whatever, but I think you may need to reexamine whatever the hell you're looking for in a basketball game, or just stop watching the sport all together.

If you don't like Manu for his flopping, I can understand that. I really can. I'm a Spurs fan, but I hate it - but at the very least you have to acknowledge that flopping extends FAR beyond Manu Ginobli and the San Antonio Spurs. The Heat have more (and bigger floppers) That is a FACT. Wade, and Battier being the worst. See also Mario Chalmers and EVEN THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD - Lebron James will get in the act. But even if you can't acknowledge that Miami is worse, they are at LEAST equal and it's something that permeates the league (although it usually boils down to only 1-2 plays a game)

That aside, what else could their possibly be? And let's examine the series as a WHOLE.

On one side, you have the Spurs style - heavy pick and roll (the whole league is pick and roll, but SA is easily the best) and all 5 guys touch the ball on every possession. You've got an ALL TIME LEGEND in Tim Duncan, a great post player, and great pick and roll player, a great defender. Basically the guy does every thing incredible. Shoot - I love seeing his outlet passing! Two hands, overhead bounce passes to Parker IN STRIDE! Love!

The passing this team displays should leave most viewers and especially a hardcore basketball fan in awe. Not to mention their 5 man defense of Lebron James - the most physically dominating player of the modern era(sorry Shaq) and easily the best player in the world. It's not perfect - but it's pretty special to watch 5 guys on a string communicating to try and minimize the damage done by a player who is basically unguardable if given an inch of forward momentum.

Then - if for some REALLY STUPID REASON none of that is appealing to you - there's the Heat. They're almost everything the Spurs are not (with the exception of pick and roll heavy). You're far more likely to see isolation play (most people's beef with the modern NBA) BUT I will say that you're also much more likely to see incredible INDIVIDUAL plays (which have their place, and merit). The Heat also give you exquisite transition / fast break game. Plus - Miami with all of their athleticism are even more stifling in the half court than SA.

The coaching moves have been pretty exciting as well! I'm too lazy to spell all of those out - but there's been great chess moves by both sides. Pop is the best in the biz - for fun - watch close every time the Spurs come out of a timeout (with the ball). Somebody on that staff (probably Pop) is better at drawing up plays than anyone I've ever seen. They get a GREAT uncontested look out of almost every timeout. Pretty special. And I'm more impressed with Spo than ever before. Not only is he managing HUGE egos (something Pop doesn't have to) but his adjustments game to game have been pretty great. - Excited to see how he handles the disaster Mike Miller has been in the starting lineup (especially with Manu starting as well).

I know the games haven't been that close, but the back and forth of the series is incredible. I like to think of it as a great boxing match - and each fighter is making adjustments round to round. They say styles make fights - and I think the analogy applies here as well. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

I still think the Heat take it in 7. Go Spurs though.

From my armchair, Spoelstra is out of his league. He's failed to ensure that Danny Green is covered at all times. Don't you realize that if you allow help off Green, he will light you up--wasn't this evident after games 3 and 4? Green needs to be one of those guys you blanket and don't help off of the rest of the way. He's also sat one of his best post defenders, Birdman Anderson, on the bench while opting to run Bosh into exhaustion--more rotation is needed for his post players so that the lanes are not more open for Parker. Sure, Parker has made some impossible shots, but most of his layups are in transition and would have been even harder if the bigs could run the floor better. Without Super LeBron making an appearance the rest of the way, the Heat aren't going to win with coaching strategy.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Bosh just isn't built for this type of game mentally, obviously. The Spurs are making him look like a bitch, dude literally is afraid to go at the basket, I'm so sick of him.

I wish Udonis Haslem had more of an offensive game, Duncan's shooting numbers go down DRAMATICALLY when Haslem is in, and at this point I'd put 'Bron on Green, let green try and run free against him.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Someone, I think Magic, mentioned this during halftime...Pat Riley has been the coach since game 2. It's funny because that's what I said. Don't know what it is about Spo, I just don't respect him as a coach.

Throwdown

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1s6ibwk8 said:
Someone, I think Magic, mentioned this during halftime...Pat Riley has been the coach since game 2. It's funny because that's what I said. Don't know what it is about Spo, I just don't respect him as a coach.

I think its the way he carries himself, its not unprofessional by any means, he just doesn't seem like a head coach, YET. But dude is still crazy young to be a head coach, and I still think he can be a good one, but he really should've been the coach of a young up and coming team.

But he does have a ring, regardless of what we all think.

SirTed

Reaction score
aawolf" From my armchair said:
My reaction to this is - Coaches coach, players play. Do you REALLY think that Spoelstra doesn't realize that Green needs to be shadowed at all times? He can instruct them, and the guys can just make mistakes. Match-ups dictate a lot. Although we've seen Lebron on Green at times, that's really a waste of Lebron because Green pretty much sticks to the perimeter and cuts along the baseline. It also takes their best perimeter defender off of Parker, Leonard or Ginobli. That leaves the likes of Chalmers, Allen and Wade to defend him. Chalmers is a great on ball defender who can occationally fall asleep. Wade as well (probably worse). Allen can't guard anyone or anything. Same with Mike Miller.

Re: Birdman - He's an above average rim protector, not the same thing as a post defender. He can't guard Duncan any better than Bosh (I believe he had 5 fouls in 17min the last time he saw action). The biggest reason his minutes are cut at this point though is because Splitter's minutes got cut. Their best post defender is J. Anthony, but I think he struggles in the pick and roll, so he's a no go as well.

It's funny - my gut says The Heat win tonight, and win in 7, actually but when I look at the series piece by piece I just don't see how the Heat can win (especially with Green shooting well and the Spurs getting a half decent to great Manu).

niveky

Reaction score
I have been loving the NBA playoffs this year, namely because the Spurs are on the cusp of winning another title. The Seahawks captured my football fandom at an early age but even though I liked the sonics growing up as a side product of being a Seahawk fan, David Robinson had me pretty firmly entrenched as a Spurs fan, then they go and get this Parker guy, that Ginobili guy, and a bunch of different role players through the years and I only can bring myself to watch Spurs games, just like during football season I don't care about watching any football except Seahawks games.

What is really wierd for me is that my favorite player now...even with the Spurs big 3 that have been so entrenched for years...is Kawhi Leonard...from the first time I saw him play last year and then seeing the improvement this year and then the next jump in play as the playoffs progressed to the finals...

all I can say is I truly love this team and I definitely think they can finish Miami tonight...it won't be easy, but I will never bet against the Spurs up 3-2 in any series...14-2 anytime they are in that scenario..they just go for the throat when they get to that point. Pop is a genius and his whole team buys into what he is selling and truly play as a team at all times.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I just hope that if they do win it, that Ginobili drops the trophy on his face and it fixes that schnoz, yeah I'm hating

niveky

Reaction score
Throwdown,

I find it funny you bring up Ginobili Flops when there are at least 2 Heat players that do it pretty often, and have done it this series....one of them being Lebron.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Did Duncan drink from the fountain of youth before the game? 25 first half points for the old man.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CPHawk":mbxnzhq2 said:
Did Duncan drink from the fountain of youth before the game? 25 first half points for the old man.
Bosh forgot his testosterone therapy treatment

Throwdown

Reaction score
niveky":3rq9nhyd said:
Throwdown,

I find it funny you bring up Ginobili Flops when there are at least 2 Heat players that do it pretty often, and have done it this series....one of them being Lebron.

Dont be so sensative, Ginobili is a hoe and always has been. I don't find a need to diss Wade over it, he's been playing like crap. LeBron does but it doesn't happen like its second nature to him like it does with Flopobili.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Jalen brought up a great point pregame; its impossible for any team to hate the Spurs. There's no anger or rage for their opponents.

That's a brilliant point. In a 7 game series, after game 5, emotions such a factor, and the Spurs opponents simply cannot find any.

Screw Duncan, that fricking foreigner, its all about TMac! Finally.