Question for our 49er fan friends

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Spiller is unparalleled in this league. If he had a more creative and competent offense with a decent QB, he'd be above Adrian Peterson.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Wrong, Hawk Strap.

Even when Chris Johnson hit the 2k mark, he averaged 5.6 YPC on the year. Spiller averaged 6.0 YPC last year, and his longest run was 62 yards. He had 1,244 yards on only 207 carries, and was only a starter for 9 games. If Buffalo ever unleashes him as an every-down back for a full season, he'll have a ridiculous year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":13voytok said:
Spiller is unparalleled in this league. If he had a more creative and competent offense with a decent QB, he'd be above Adrian Peterson.

I like Spiller and all....but I don't think he's THAT good.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2waowm67 said:
I like Spiller and all....but I don't think he's THAT good.

That's fine, but I think the perception has more to do with not being given a full load by Buffalo, combined with being pretty young, combined with being on the Bills.

Spiller is electric. Give him 300 carries, and you'll see magic.

60niners

Reaction score
Marvin49":15yz582w said:
SF-SEA NFC Championship Game as final game ever at Candlestick.
Man I really hope that doesn't happen. 1992 NFCCG was in SF also, and the Niners just could not get over the Cowboys.

Something about the way Seattle gets hyped when they play SF worries me about that type of game. I DO think the 49ers are a better team, but... Seattle can go on the road and play like chumps against the Lions, but will play like their lives are on the line when they come to SF.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Marvin49":3gfgf7zv said:
Based specifically on your question of "can the rest of the offense carry the load if recieving core drops dramatically in production"....Yes, but I don't think it will. I think Boldin will fill that Crab role and while not being the exact same player, will be a good enough replacement till Crab returns.

You are delusional. You seem pretty football savvy, so I'll give you a pass on this one as a homer/wishful thinking idea. There's zero comparison between Crabtree and Boldin. Boldin is a #2/possession type WR only. He's not a feature/game breaker like Crabtree. If you guys try to force the issue and make Boldin the feature guy, that's going to be a huge mistake. Don't get me wrong, Boldin is very good. I just don't think he will have the same impact as Crabtree did, especially when it comes to being in sync with Kapernick.

Leaning on Kaepernick, your running game and Vernon Davis would seem to be the smart way to go. You still have talent an depth all over the roster, so you will survive...but the loss of Crabtree is HUGE, so don't pretend otherwise and wish it away on Anquan Boldin being in the fold.

Or maybe Boldin just made such an impression on your when he had a big game against the Niners in the Super Bowl?

Good defenses are going to pose problems for the 49ers offense. Crabtree is a guy you have to account for in layered coverages, whereas Boldin can be singled up. Teams will game plan to stop Davis and the run. Someone (Jenkins, Manningham, Williams) is really going to need to step up.

Marvin49

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2b9mt4o6 said:
Marvin49":2b9mt4o6 said:
Based specifically on your question of "can the rest of the offense carry the load if recieving core drops dramatically in production"....Yes, but I don't think it will. I think Boldin will fill that Crab role and while not being the exact same player, will be a good enough replacement till Crab returns.

You are delusional. You seem pretty football savvy, so I'll give you a pass on this one as a homer/wishful thinking idea. There's zero comparison between Crabtree and Boldin. Boldin is a #2/possession type WR only. He's not a feature/game breaker like Crabtree. If you guys try to force the issue and make Boldin the feature guy, that's going to be a huge mistake. Don't get me wrong, Boldin is very good. I just don't think he will have the same impact as Crabtree did, especially when it comes to being in sync with Kapernick.

Leaning on Kaepernick, your running game and Vernon Davis would seem to be the smart way to go. You still have talent an depth all over the roster, so you will survive...but the loss of Crabtree is HUGE, so don't pretend otherwise and wish it away on Anquan Boldin being in the fold.

Or maybe Boldin just made such an impression on your when he had a big game against the Niners in the Super Bowl?

Good defenses are going to pose problems for the 49ers offense. Crabtree is a guy you have to account for in layered coverages, whereas Boldin can be singled up. Teams will game plan to stop Davis and the run. Someone (Jenkins, Manningham, Williams) is really going to need to step up.

I said it previously...the Crab loss IS huge. I wasn't trying to say it was nothing. I also don't think Boldin will be everything that Crab was.

What I'm saying tho is that I still think they will be fine. When Sterling Sharpe got hurt in GB, Brett Favre didn't fall apart. Sterling was Bretts security blanket. Losing Sterling was thought to be crushing, but what it actually did was force Brett to find other players to depend on. Thats what I think is going to happen here.

Another thing about Boldin tho...I think he's better than he gets credit for. His numbers took a dive when he started playing in Balt. I think the statistical dive had alot more to do with the offense he was playing in and not the player he was. Baltimore fired their OC last year and all of the sudden Boldin became a monster in the playoffs. That doesn't mean that I think he'll be a Crabtree clone...it just means I think he'll be a servicable #1 WR in a run oriented offense that most often plays with 2 TEs on the field. Boldin NEVER had any speed. Its the main reason he wasn't a first round pick. Crab is faster, but he was never a burner either. He gets open with route running. Boldin just has a knack for creating space for himself and then just having some of the strongest hands in the NFL.

KAEPERNICK is the reason I think the passing game will be better...not Boldin completely filling the shoes of Crabtree. A full offseason as the starter, time to work with ALL of the receivers, time for those receivers to improve (AJ Jenkins in particular who has been working with Colin all offseason and is up to nearly 200 lbs).

What really sucks for the Niners in all honesty is that the #2 WR position last year was a revolving door. Getting Boldin was supposed to resolve that. Instead, they have downgraded a bit at the #1 and the #2 is again unsettled. That doesn't mean someone won't step up, but it is at best right now and unsettled situation.

As I've also said before tho...I'm more concerned with who will replace Delanie Walker than who will be the #2 WR. Walker was also a bit of a security blanket for Kaep. I'm just hoping Vance McDonald can come in and play well as a rookie.

BigBay49

Reaction score
We are in more trouble without Crabtree than most fans will let on. Crabs was Kaps guy like Vernon was Alex Smith's guy. We just lost the best chemistry we had on offense. You take Vernon away from Alex and we have a dismal offense that relies on Frank facing 8 men in the box constantly.

Boldin isn't a legit replacement. He may be able to act as a band aid until we get Crabs back but we wont see nearly the chemistry with Boldin Kap had with Crabtree. My hope is that Jenkins has a breakout year and shows us why he was drafted where he was.

My guess is that collectively our wideouts will have to step it up because we wont have that blanket go to guy anymore. In order to not put the entire offense on the running backs we need Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Davis, and Boldin to be the bulk of the passing game split pretty evenly among them. Manningham is the wild card. Haven't seen much of him with Kap so far so he could make an impact once healthy. Macdonald in the two TE sets we like to run can also be a big game changer (maybe).

It doesn't sound like a really dominant receiving group on paper but I am hoping a lot of little contributions by these guys and some luck avoiding injuries could add up to a well rounded offense.

I hate to say this but we are cursed with our wide receivers. You saw it in 2011 when we got the post season. You saw it last season and we got lucky to have Crabs the whole season. Again this off season has been more of the bad luck at receiver. I also don't like Boldin wearing the cursed TO #81 but I am overly superstitious...lol

The Radish

Reaction score
I don't blame you about the number. Letting someone else wear that number at your place is even worse than them letting Rice wear it here.

Largent-Rice jerseys numbers should be protected by their own teams no matter what!

:141847_bnono:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
BigBay49":20gnqicz said:
We are in more trouble without Crabtree than most fans will let on. Crabs was Kaps guy like Vernon was Alex Smith's guy. We just lost the best chemistry we had on offense. You take Vernon away from Alex and we have a dismal offense that relies on Frank facing 8 men in the box constantly.

Boldin isn't a legit replacement. He may be able to act as a band aid until we get Crabs back but we wont see nearly the chemistry with Boldin Kap had with Crabtree. My hope is that Jenkins has a breakout year and shows us why he was drafted where he was.

My guess is that collectively our wideouts will have to step it up because we wont have that blanket go to guy anymore. In order to not put the entire offense on the running backs we need Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Davis, and Boldin to be the bulk of the passing game split pretty evenly among them. Manningham is the wild card. Haven't seen much of him with Kap so far so he could make an impact once healthy. Macdonald in the two TE sets we like to run can also be a big game changer (maybe).

It doesn't sound like a really dominant receiving group on paper but I am hoping a lot of little contributions by these guys and some luck avoiding injuries could add up to a well rounded offense.

I hate to say this but we are cursed with our wide receivers. You saw it in 2011 when we got the post season. You saw it last season and we got lucky to have Crabs the whole season. Again this off season has been more of the bad luck at receiver. I also don't like Boldin wearing the cursed TO #81 but I am overly superstitious...lol

Refreshing post. I usually am harassing the Niner fans around here because they so constantly seem to try and convince us it really is not that big of a deal add to that reading Niner forums (I do for fun but don't bother posting there) most are very busy spinning it as some kind of benefit because Kaep was so dependent on Crabs that now he will be forced to gain chemistry with other receivers and the other guys who haven't had a chance will blossom because of it.

Don't get me wrong, it is possible all those things happen but the odds make it much more of a hope than any kind of positive thing.

A few years back, 2008 we lost our entire receiving core to start the season. We even had Seneca Wallace (our back up QB) moving to receiver to help out but he pulled a hamstring running out of the tunnel in week one and never seen the field. We had our hopes tied to a three headed practice squad attack and hoped that given the chance they would flourish. This was coming off an allpro year for Hasselbeck and a division title. Unfortunately they never flourished and we ended up 4-12 on the year.

Not saying you will end up 4-12. you guys have a better defense than we did and a much better running game. You guys also had success before Kaep and Crabs gained chemistry so there is more hope than there was for us in 2008 but again, it really is hope and not any kind of positive.

Marvin49

Reaction score
The Radish":q3k68ref said:
I don't blame you about the number. Letting someone else wear that number at your place is even worse than them letting Rice wear it here.

Largent-Rice jerseys numbers should be protected by their own teams no matter what!

:141847_bnono:

Thats actually not why we don't like people to wear 81. It has nothing to do with reverence for TO. He pretty much burnede all those bridges when he left.

The 81 jinx thing is about just about every single player who has worn that jersey SINCE TO have underperformed and been anon-factor.