Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Got to party WITH a rock star.
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:08 pm 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

Thought I'd share a recent experience with y'all...

A few weeks ago, a good friend (and client) of ours invited us to go out with he and his wife to watch a rock show at a small local venue here in Houston. He's usually vague about the details of stuff like this and we always have a good time with them, so we accepted.

As the story goes, we met them and some other friends and headed out together to pick up another "friend" of theirs they met on the KISS cruise last summer. They said we'd really like the guy as he was a musician, and had a lot of stories to tell. I'm asking my friend who it is and he says its a surprise. I ask who's playing tonight, and he says "Tom Keifer", but is being mum with the details, as usual.

For those not immediately familiar, Tom Keifer is the lead singer/songwriter from the band Cinderella, who has been touring in support of his new solo album: "The Way Life Goes". Anybody who knows Cinderella knows Keifer has that awesome high falsetto voice that is unmistakable. Needless to say, I'm was stoked to see him perform again because he had suffered from vocal cord nodules which caused him to bow out of the touring scene years ago. As it turns out, we were not disappointed, as he is allllll better now. But here's the cool part...

So, we show up at this rock bar and after a few minutes a dude hops in the Tahoe and starts shaking hands and making acquaintance with everybody. I'm taken back a bit, as we are now in the same vehicle with none other than Paul Taylor, keyboard player for Tom's band, and founding member of the band Winger.

Now, again, for those who aren't aware, Paul Taylor was in Aldo Nova's band, toured with Alice Cooper, and was best buds with Kip Winger (who also was in Alice's band). Since all his hair band touring days died down, Paul has co-written songs with Steve Perry (Journey), and produced for several Nashville-area musicians and up-and-coming talents over the years. A really cool and down to earth guy that just happened to be on MTV about 10,000 times. Needless to say, he can jam on the piano.

We went to a Japanese Hibachi steak house and ate, got to BS with him about all kinds of stuff, drank some Japanese beers, then headed to the show as his guest, (with backstage passes, of course). Got to meet and chat with Tom Keifer and other dudes in the band after the show. It. Was. Awesome!

Here are a couple pics of Paul with the ladies. (Mrs. HH is on the far left)

Post subject: Re: Got to party WITH a rock star.
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:56 pm 
NET Veteran

thats cool, I had no idea he was in Aldo Nova.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:39 pm 
* NET Radish *

What a great time that must have been. :th2thumbs:

Please tell Mrs. HH she is fantabulous and ask her for me why she hangs out with the likes of you?

:D

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:48 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Cool man!

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:24 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

The Radish wrote:
What a great time that must have been. :th2thumbs:

Please tell Mrs. HH she is fantabulous and ask her for me why she hangs out with the likes of you?

:D

Well, BION, there was a time when I was actually good looking too.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

NoChops wrote:
thats cool, I had no idea he was in Aldo Nova.

I asked him if it was cool playing that part in the song "Fantasy" where the scale goes downhill in the background. He said there was just easy fill-in type stuff as Aldo wanted to always cover the melody riffs. Said Aldo was not a fun guy to play with. A really dick head actually.

Talking about Cooper, he told us he is one of the most laid back and coolest people you will ever meet. If Kip hadn't got the record deal and grabbed him to start Winger, he'd have stayed with Alice.

He mostly talked about his friendship with Steve Perry. Said contrary to what was going around, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his voice. Said in the studio Perry is amazing.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:30 am 
NET Veteran

Are you allowed to throw horns if your picture is being taken with someone who was in Winger? I'm not certain of the rules in this case, but I'm doubtful.

Still, good story.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:07 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

volsunghawk wrote:
Are you allowed to throw horns if your picture is being taken with someone who was in Winger? I'm not certain of the rules in this case, but I'm doubtful.

Still, good story.

If it helps, there was a warmup band playing an Ozzy cover in the main part of the club when these pics were taken.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:48 am 
NET Veteran

very cool, i've had a chance to meet a few over the years, and there all usually pretty cool down to earth guys.. you have your occasional jackwagon like george thoroughgood, but that's life... cool story, great memories...

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:06 pm 
NET Veteran

volsunghawk wrote:

Still, good story.

Hell yeah you do. Winger gets a bad rap because of when they came around and their embarrassingly bad music videos, but musically if you actually listen to their music, they were and still are one of the better bands around.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:31 am 
NET Veteran

Seanhawk wrote:
volsunghawk wrote:

Still, good story.

Hell yeah you do. Winger gets a bad rap because of when they came around and their embarrassingly bad music videos, but musically if you actually listen to their music, they were and still are one of the better bands around.

Not debating their skill... just their heaviness. :mrgreen:

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]