Let's Talk Mariners

JOz56

Reaction score
pinksheets":1bocjhid said:
JOz56":1bocjhid said:
pinksheets":1bocjhid said:
Gotta stick with Wilhelmsen, he's your closer.

What if we made him...not our closer?

Gotta stick with him, he's your closer.

Yeah but what if he wasn't.

But he is.

But we can replace him.

But you gotta stick with him, he's your closer.

But what if we found someone better?

But that guy's not your closer.

Tom Wilhelmsen is, you gotta stick with him.

What if we get another closer who is better, and have him change his name to Tom WIlhelmsen? Can we rebuild him? Do we have the money to do so?

pinksheets

Reaction score
JOz56":3huqi5n5 said:
What if we get another closer who is better, and have him change his name to Tom WIlhelmsen? Can we rebuild him? Do we have the money to do so?
No, we only have the money to acquire television stations, not good baseball players.

JOz56

Reaction score
pinksheets":8bwfj3ju said:
JOz56":8bwfj3ju said:
No, we only have the money to acquire television stations, not good baseball players.

Well, damn...

m0ng0

Reaction score
yep I think the bartender needs to get 86'd. Just odd to see his control go to crap like that, I see a trip to the DL coming for him, something aint right with him.

Bonderman pitched a gem, Franklin is hitting and even Zunino got a hit its not all bad :D

Msfann

Reaction score
I think he needs to be removed from the role temporarily, not forever but tell him he's out for 2 weeks or a month or something and let him have some mop up time to work on his problems. I'm sure he can get his control back. I feel bad for the guy, in the interview after the game he just looked like he was in a daze and was devastated.

I also think the CDC needs to come to Seattle and check out the clubhouse in Safeco field because it looks like we have a new disease called suckusballitus that seems to be spreading and they need to contain it ASAP.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Msfann":19cfstjs said:
I think he needs to be removed from the role temporarily, not forever but tell him he's out for 2 weeks or a month or something and let him have some mop up time to work on his problems. I'm sure he can get his control back. I feel bad for the guy, in the interview after the game he just looked like he was in a daze and was devastated.

I agree. Put Capps or Furbush in as closer, put the Bartender in relief. Cannot be worse.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
pinksheets":3ia5b4ce said:
JOz56":3ia5b4ce said:
pinksheets":3ia5b4ce said:
Gotta stick with Wilhelmsen, he's your closer.

What if we made him...not our closer?

Gotta stick with him, he's your closer.

Yeah but what if he wasn't.

But he is.

But we can replace him.

But you gotta stick with him, he's your closer.

But what if we found someone better?

But that guy's not your closer.

Tom Wilhelmsen is, you gotta stick with him.
Ha ha. I can hear Wedgie's voice. But do you got to stick with your majority owner/team pres/team exec/manager/coach?

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
hawker84":gluwjgiz said:
And yet another beat down last night 9-2 or somethig like that.. wooohooo go Mariners.

You're only seeing what you want to see. Mariners took 2 of 3 from one of the better teams in baseball.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":1dt8fv1b said:
hawker84":1dt8fv1b said:
And yet another beat down last night 9-2 or somethig like that.. wooohooo go Mariners.

You're only seeing what you want to see. Mariners took 2 of 3 from one of the better teams in baseball.
True and I like it. Still, would've been nice to get their first series sweep of the year.

What I'm afraid of is that they'll climb tantalizingly close to .500 again and then go on another 7-8 game losing streak. In other words, like they almost always do, give us hope and then pull the rug out from under our feet. I sincerely hope not.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I hate being right about Tom Wilhemsen, but damned if I didn't see us losing lots of games with him as the closer. Makes Brandon League look like Mariano Rivera.

I find myself wondering something.. Why the hell is Carter Capps not the closer? Now that kid has an arm on him.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Wilhelmsen was amazing to start the year. Then came the Cleveland Indians game on May 20th, where the ump would not call a strike for him. This made Wilhelmsen have to throw the ball over the plate, which of course was hit, causing a run to be scored. Ever since that game, he has been shaky. He has confidence issues that need to be resolved.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3gq3gqr8 said:
Wilhelmsen is nothing like League. Wilhelmsen has (had?) an ace-curveball. League just threw really hard.

That curve is the ONLY thing Wilhelmsen has, but he can't throw it every damn pitch! Not many pitches are harder on the wrist, arm, and elbow.

League wasn't a bad closer. When he could find that split fingered fastball, he was unhittable. The heat was always on tap.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":6uq5y7ju said:
Smelly McUgly":6uq5y7ju said:
Wilhelmsen is nothing like League. Wilhelmsen has (had?) an ace-curveball. League just threw really hard.

That curve is the ONLY thing Wilhelmsen has, but he can't throw it every damn pitch! Not many pitches are harder on the wrist, arm, and elbow.

League wasn't a bad closer. When he could find that split fingered fastball, he was unhittable. The heat was always on tap.

You mean besides the 98 MPH fastball. I think he will be fine. All pitchers go through this, he will get through it. We definitely shouldn't give up on him.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2pau7m4o said:
SmokinHawk":2pau7m4o said:
Smelly McUgly":2pau7m4o said:

You mean besides the 98 MPH fastball. I think he will be fine. All pitchers go through this, he will get through it. We definitely shouldn't give up on him.

Wilhelmsen has the heat, but every hitter facing him knows exactly where he is going to place it.