Another side of the Seahawk's PED issues

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I was reading the short article of Browner's reply to Harbaugh at ProFootballTalk.com

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...owner-would-like-to-wring-jim-harbaughs-neck/

Then I went on to read the comments sections of that article, which started with a lot of Seahawks hate but the tides starting turning towards the end with impressive rebuttals.

49ers fans constantly called the Seahawks cheaters.

Then two very smart posters pointed out that SFO's Larry Grant, Tarvares Gooden, and Clark Haggans were all suspended for substance abuse while with the 49ers.

Then one very intelligent poster pointed out of the Seahawk's 6 convictions:

Allen Barbe's violation occurred while a member of the Dolphins but only served his suspension with the Seahawks. Don't know if that is true.

John Moffitt has a prescription for Adderrall but didn't know he needed a special exemption from the NFL... which is why he only got served a 1 game suspension as opposed to 4.

Sherman was never found guilty by winning his appeal. He was also retested with nothing to show.

That leaves Browner, Guy, and Irvin as the 3 guys that were "rightfully" guilty as Seahawks under policy, the same amount of guys banned with SFO.

Whose to even say Browner and Guy used Adderall to enhance field performance, they easily could have used the drug to get high. Guy if I'm correct was only activated for the last 4 games after his suspension took place.

Irvin is probably the only guy who used something else, not going to say it was steroids, but probably a banned supplement.

No fans want the Seahawk's name dragged under the rug for PEDs, but I think there was some overreactions towards the Seahawks because of the issue, and it seems after the team meeting, everyone is on the same page about the stuff going on and holding each other accountable.

drdiags

Reaction score
I am not sure you can say everyone is on the same page after the players meeting, only time will tell in that regard. For those that got suspended due to PEDs (Guy, Irvin, Browner), I think you are reaching to say 2 of the 3 where just using it to get high. No one knows and it may not have been Adderall in the first place.

Yes, rival fans are using this as a way to cast doubt on the Seahawks, but they are not alone when anonymous GMs and rival HCs are putting it out there that they see this as a way to denigrate the team's play. The Barbe and Moffitt counter arguments are valid but no one wants to hear it. It just adds to the pile. You don't really expect fans to research or care, do you?

The media is who drums up this story and fans just use it to advance their cause. I sure don't see anyone giving the Patriots the benefit of the doubt once it was revealed they taped opponents. I just think until the team wins and even after, this is the bitter medicine we have to swallow. Good luck with the good fight to clear the team's name. I don't see a ground swell to right this perception. Look at the Browner story. No background, because it doesn't play into the out-of-control image folks want to portray.

KJR is an embarrassment in their attempts to replicate the Softy mooning the Ducks type atmosphere with the professional team. They are not an asset for this team, IMHO.

McGruff

Reaction score
bubbrubb":3k3fy6wl said:
haha u dont use adderall to just get high...you use it to write that 20 page paper due in 10 hours!!!

Adder all is often used as a party drug in conjunction with alcohol to prolong the effects of alcohol and keep the party going . ..

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
drdiags":1sv4w3ii said:
I am not sure you can say everyone is on the same page after the players meeting, only time will tell in that regard. For those that got suspended due to PEDs (Guy, Irvin, Browner), I think you are reaching to say 2 of the 3 where just using it to get high. No one knows and it may not have been Adderall in the first place.

Yes, rival fans are using this as a way to cast doubt on the Seahawks, but they are not alone when anonymous GMs and rival HCs are putting it out there that they see this as a way to denigrate the team's play. The Barbe and Moffitt counter arguments are valid but no one wants to hear it. It just adds to the pile. You don't really expect fans to research or care, do you?

The media is who drums up this story and fans just use it to advance their cause. I sure don't see anyone giving the Patriots the benefit of the doubt once it was revealed they taped opponents. I just think until the team wins and even after, this is the bitter medicine we have to swallow. Good luck with the good fight to clear the team's name. I don't see a ground swell to right this perception. Look at the Browner story. No background, because it doesn't play into the out-of-control image folks want to portray.

KJR is an embarrassment in their attempts to replicate the Softy mooning the Ducks type atmosphere with the professional team. They are not an asset for this team, IMHO.

I wasn't reaching, all I was saying who is to really know whether Browner and Guy were trying to actually trying to "cheat" in a game or they were tested after a celebration of a victory or something and got caught that way. Whether or not does make a big a difference as being labeled an actual cheater.

BBHawks

Reaction score
Sometimes the homerism around here is just astonishing. Do you guys really think an older veteran is taking adderall? Adderall is just what they always say they were taking. It's what agents tell their players to say they were taking. Players in the 30's don't need help with attention span. They need help with muscle mass and recuperation.

And you all can sit around here stroking each other about how over the line it is for Whiner fans to snicker about Seahawk PED incidents, but at the end of the day there is still the fact that our Seahawks have arguably the highest incidence of problems over the past five years and the Whiners have zero. And, they immediately got rid of and won't resign the only player who has had a problem with it. Grant is a good linebacker. They could have easily resigned him and he's capable of backing up either of their ILB's. But they didn't sign him. Can we get off our high horses.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
BBHawks":1vvgiuwz said:
Sometimes the homerism around here is just astonishing. Do you guys really think an older veteran is taking adderall? Adderall is just what they always say they were taking. It's what agents tell their players to say they were taking. Players in the 30's don't need help with attention span. They need help with muscle mass and recuperation.

And you all can sit around here stroking each other about how over the line it is for Whiner fans to snicker about Seahawk PED incidents, but at the end of the day there is still the fact that our Seahawks have arguably the highest incidence of problems over the past five years and the Whiners have zero. And, they immediately got rid of and won't resign the only player who has had a problem with it. Grant is a good linebacker. They could have easily resigned him and he's capable of backing up either of their ILB's. But they didn't sign him. Can we get off our high horses.
I smell a ninnies troll! Speaking of high horses its time to get off of yours sir!

BBHawks

Reaction score
What a bunch of embarrassing homers. You can't offer one word of caution around here without being called a troll. Where are the intelligent, experienced NFL fans around here who aren't completely delusional? All I've done is reminded you about the reality of the situation. If you all want to sit around patting each other on the back and pretending there isn't a problem, talk to Kam about it. He sure thinks there is a problem. Pete thinks there's a problem.

We're finally lucky enough to have a real contender around here. I've been waiting a long time for a team like this. Even Holmgren's bunch that got screwed in the big game wasn't as good as this team. They're stepping up big time. Russell Wilson is total class. Now, maybe Seahawks fans could show a little class.

drdiags

Reaction score
BBHawks":24oo2mrc said:
What a bunch of embarrassing homers. You can't offer one word of caution around here without being called a troll. Where are the intelligent, experienced NFL fans around here who aren't completely delusional? All I've done is reminded you about the reality of the situation. If you all want to sit around patting each other on the back and pretending there isn't a problem, talk to Kam about it. He sure thinks there is a problem. Pete thinks there's a problem.

We're finally lucky enough to have a real contender around here. I've been waiting a long time for a team like this. Even Holmgren's bunch that got screwed in the big game wasn't as good as this team. They're stepping up big time. Russell Wilson is total class. Now, maybe Seahawks fans could show a little class.

Damn man, I sure am not trying to make up excuses for the failure on this PED issue. Many aren't, yet you want to throw the entire forum and fandom under the bus as being homers and not having an intelligent, experienced conversation. At least take off the damn blinders and admit you are not the sole voice of reason. You are blind and have a prejudged opinion of all fans on this board if you claim this is 100% a singularly viewed issue (minus yourself of course).

JSeahawks

Reaction score
BBHawks":ga188hze said:

All great and good, but none of the guys getting busted have been in their 30's. They've all been young dudes. If you weren't a 49er fan you might know that.

brettb3

Reaction score
BBHawks":3njcfadg said:

If you have respect toward posters here and stop pretending to be some great font of wisdom you will be treated in kind. If someone as valuable as Justin Smith tested positive for PED's, there is absolutely no way they would get rid of him. The same would hold true for any team's valuable players. No team has a moral high ground in that regard.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
BBHawks":14v36tk9 said:

Please, this isn't the Niners board, there are plenty of folks who have an adverse opinion to the whole PED thing, which isn't nearly as big of a problem as you make it out to be.

There are folks who will give you the benefit of the doubt, I am not one of those people.

What we have here folks is a Niner crusader. Injecting himself into the heart of the Hawks fan to offer "caution".
Making a futile attempt to bring down the level of support and excitement the Hawks fan has for the future. This guy has all the makings of a Niner fan, reminding us of how the Hawks haven't done anything, using words like "embarrassed" and going out of his way to use "we" and "fellow Hawks fans". The post content and join date reek of Niner stench.

Trust me, we are flattered that you went of your way to generate Niner love, it is just proof that you can't swallow the Seahawks upswing. You say "we finally" have a good thing going when a real Hawk fan knows we had a thing going already, but like a Niner fan, you fail to acknowledge that the 2003-2007 seasons ever existed.

So keep on playing Niner-Boy, your tenure of teaching Hawk fans "caution" is ending. You know it and that is why you are here anyways. Epic Fail.

KingdomeKarliesimo was better at life than you.

drdiags

Reaction score
The outrage I hear regarding the Seahawks is not shared with those teams that have had 1 less suspension and go by the name Patriots, Giants and Washington. Trent "Ima going to punch you in your face" Williams and TE Fred Davis both got zapped in Trent's rookie year. Shanahan getting any grief about this? No, he is battling the RGIII play vs no play decision.

Yet it is only the Seahawks that are a renegade squad with no control of their younger players. I admit not liking the stigma but I will acknowledge that this isn't a single team's issue. There have been 50 of these in the past 3 years. The Browns Joe Haden got suspended (there may have been extenuating circumstances, but he got popped). The Bucs. List goes on and on. Kudos to the 9ers that during Jim H's watch only one dude got popped and kicked to the curb.

So yeah, not proud of the suspensions. Think the players are stupid and selfish to put the team in harm's way. Don't think it is a systematic issue but others outside the team are wanting to paint it as Pete and company pushing the envelope. Someone has to show me proof of that before I make that leap. Bell has been rung, cannot un-ring it. Being realistic, if/when the Seahawks win it all, this issue will be their stain. It isn't going to be forgotten so I accept it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Embarrassing homers? As embarrassing as a guy who claims to be a Hawks fan and is clearly a Niner fan?
Nobody is forcing you to be on this board. Don't go away mad, just go away.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2ryqhz3y said:
I was reading the short article of Browner's reply to Harbaugh at ProFootballTalk.com

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...owner-would-like-to-wring-jim-harbaughs-neck/

Then I went on to read the comments sections of that article, which started with a lot of Seahawks hate but the tides starting turning towards the end with impressive rebuttals.

49ers fans constantly called the Seahawks cheaters.

Then two very smart posters pointed out that SFO's Larry Grant, Tarvares Gooden, and Clark Haggans were all suspended for substance abuse while with the 49ers.

Then one very intelligent poster pointed out of the Seahawk's 6 convictions:

Allen Barbe's violation occurred while a member of the Dolphins but only served his suspension with the Seahawks. Don't know if that is true.

John Moffitt has a prescription for Adderrall but didn't know he needed a special exemption from the NFL... which is why he only got served a 1 game suspension as opposed to 4.

Sherman was never found guilty by winning his appeal. He was also retested with nothing to show.

That leaves Browner, Guy, and Irvin as the 3 guys that were "rightfully" guilty as Seahawks under policy, the same amount of guys banned with SFO.

Whose to even say Browner and Guy used Adderall to enhance field performance, they easily could have used the drug to get high. Guy if I'm correct was only activated for the last 4 games after his suspension took place.

Irvin is probably the only guy who used something else, not going to say it was steroids, but probably a banned supplement.

No fans want the Seahawk's name dragged under the rug for PEDs, but I think there was some overreactions towards the Seahawks because of the issue, and it seems after the team meeting, everyone is on the same page about the stuff going on and holding each other accountable.

The problem in this debate would be, and you mentioned it in your post, that 49ers players were found in violation of the 'substance abuse' policy while the Seahawks players violated the 'performance enhancing drug (PED)' policy. One comes with the charge of 'cheating' while the other doesn't. Now, in the scheme of life you would much rather be a dude who uses steroids rather than a cokehead, but in sports it is much worse to be Tony Mandarich than it is to be Lawrwnce Taylor. Though I am not saying that anyone on either team has a drug problem or is a steroid user, it would be naive to believe that the majority of pro football players aren't on PEDs such as HGH or steroids and I/we accept that due to how awesome the product/athleticism is , the real problem lies in the question of what is going askew in the Hawks lab that has their guys getting popped at a higher rate than the rest of the league.

Looking at the recent pics of Irvin, if he can keep the size/strength gains he made without getting popped again it could very well be worth a 4-game sacrifice.

The Radish

Reaction score
BBHawks":st2lq6hp said:

I'm just discusted at our entire fan base. Imagine a website called Seahawks.net and the fan base of said site being called "HOMERS". Have you no shame??

I want you to all stop being such lovers of the Seattle Seahawks right now!

:sarcasm_off:

You on the other hand have obviously wandered in here flying phoney colors.

Throwdown

Reaction score
BBHawks":1cwbfjbo said:

[youtube]o4x-VW_rCSE[/youtube]

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Someone with a better memory than mine help me out.
Last year right after ol Jimmy made his statement about violence against woman, someone got in trouble for that exact thing. I don't remember the details. How did that work out? Was the player released or even a starter?