NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
NBA is definitely the main objective, but I am more excited about the prospect of a hockey team. Im hoping we get a press conference announcing both at once, someday...

dunceface

Reaction score
Throwdown":x9gcaevq said:
Blitzer88":x9gcaevq said:
Hey lets all look at it this way, if we get an nhl team we will get an nba team and likewise if we get an nba team we will get an nhl team. At least thats how I see it.

Incorrect, the NBA team must be acquired to even build the SoDo Arena, we don't get an NHL team without assurance that we will have a new arena for a team.

NBA team is the major goal.

Way to shoot down his only optimistic moment in the last year, Throw...real nice ;)

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":3tnbmnre said:
Blitzer88":3tnbmnre said:
Hey lets all look at it this way, if we get an nhl team we will get an nba team and likewise if we get an nba team we will get an nhl team. At least thats how I see it.

Incorrect, the NBA team must be acquired to even build the SoDo Arena, we don't get an NHL team without assurance that we will have a new arena for a team.

I know that, I am just saying that if it is announced the Seattle will get a hockey team, that an NBA team will shortly follow and thus allow us to get the building started.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2gc9na1s said:
Throwdown":2gc9na1s said:
Blitzer88":2gc9na1s said:

I know that, I am just saying that if it is announced the Seattle will get a hockey team, that an NBA team will shortly follow and thus allow us to get the building started.

Throwdown - I can't believe you squashed the one (NBA-related) optimistic thought Blitzer has had in months

pinksheets

Reaction score
Hansen left the door open to an NHL ownership group coming in and paying out of their pockets as partners in the arena deal to get a shovel in the ground until Hansen gets his team secured. The MOU would have to be changed, but if a group wants to come in and put down some of the money for a building, they could, theoretically. Hansen has just said that it won't be his money getting invested before the NBA guarantees a return.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":pqqhusqv said:
I saw some tweets today from the sonics rising guys that they are talking expansion for Seattle. Obviously this is the reason we backed down and didn't fight harder for the kings. A team is coming our way in the next year to two. Book it.

Tim Montemayor was on with Brock and Danny back on 5/15. For those who might have missed it, here is a real scooby snack from that interview last month ...

Montemayor: “I think that the best case scenario is a year from now you will be 99% through an expansion process. And I’ve said this for two months – that the Hansen/Ballmer group is in position to become an owner of a franchise through expansion. And that has been talked about and bandied about in NBA circles for several months. And I think the clearest indication that that information’s correct is the news that the NBA is going to re-negotiate their TV Contract early – and they have an out after every year in which they can re-negotiate that. But they need that negotiation to happen in order to leverage it for the most money and expansion. I think ‘clear path’ for Seattle means that they’re going to re-negotiate that TV Deal, which would include a new franchise.

You can both listen to and read the entire interview at the link below ...

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68646&start=0

It appears abundantly clear to me that Montemayor's information is correct and that he is honestly plugged in to some credible and knowledgable NBA inside sources here. Montemayor contends that the relationship between the Maloofs and Hansen's group were really damaging Seattle's chances of landing a team. Hansen was told that after he reached to some sources within the NBA that he knew and trusted. Once he and his group began to back away from the Maloofs, the channels of communication began to open back up again and VOILA! ... here we are. If that really is true that the NBA will move to re-negotiate its TV Deal once the NBA Finals are over ... then I think you'll see the talk about an expansion team for Seattle start to really amp up. Yes, I know that the expansion process is open to every city ... and that Seattle will be among several cities competing for an expansion franchise if that actually comes to fruition. That said, Seattle would seem to me to be head and shoulders above any other city out there right now when it comes to expansion ... and Stern has already acknowledged that Seattle is #1 on the list. I agree -- you will see an NBA team in Seattle again in the next 1-3 years. This train has just far too much momentum behind it.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
There was also that report out of SF from "NBA sources" that the NBA and Hanson Group are in serious talks to expand the Sonics back into Seattle. All the indices are indicating the Sonics coming back vis-a-vis the big old expand.
P.S. What's with that stupid fighting crap in hockey? Are they gonna do that if we get a team? We don't roll like that here in the Jet City, people--we just pop a cap in yo ass. ;)

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I saw a funny hockey movie called Thug. It was okay. Same people that did Pinapple Express, but it wasn't anywhere near as make-doodoo-in-your-pants funny.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1mq9c87q said:
Any word on you guys getting an actual MLB team?
There are rumors that after Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong retire we may get one! ;)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":1vswmuwn said:
JSeahawks":1vswmuwn said:
Any word on you guys getting an actual MLB team?

You want the team we have now?

Definatly not that team. I wouldn't even want the Seahawks (or any NFL team for that matter). Although it would be cool if the Hawks played a preseason game down here every year, or maybe rotated between Anchorage, Vancouver and Portland or something on a yearly basis.

OP
OP
grizbob

grizbob

Reaction score
OK all you hockey pucks, in case you don't already know, Sonics Rising has a poll for naming the hockey team.

CPHawk

Reaction score
grizbob":2on9le3a said:
OK all you hockey pucks, in case you don't already know, Sonics Rising has a poll for naming the hockey team.

How about the Hansons? Then you pay tribute to the man who made it possible and to a great hockey movie as well. :sarcasm_off:

Pstark3

Reaction score
CPHawk":34p9kdgf said:
grizbob":34p9kdgf said:

How about the Hansons? Then you pay tribute to the man who made it possible and to a great hockey movie as well. :sarcasm_off:
How you gonna pay tribute to a guy and spell his name wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.