A little thin at Tight End?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'm wondering if we are a little thin at tight end with McCoy on IR.

Miller is obviously a boss, but his foot issues could linger. If he were to miss time, we are left with Luke Willson (a pure receiving tight end), Sean McGrath and basketball convert Darren Fells (plus Cooper Helfet and Victor Marshall).

I wouldn't be shocked to see JS/PC prowling for a veteran TE. I wouldn't be shocked to see Morrah brought back, although personally I think that ship is sailed.

Whatcha think?

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
We probably won't know until training camp. PC has talked up McGrath and Willson a lot. Although, I doubt we will use as much 2 TE sets this year like we did last year now that we have added Harvin.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":1nbe3qya said:
We probably won't know until training camp. PC has talked up McGrath and Willson a lot. Although, I doubt we will use as much 2 TE sets this year like we did last year now that we have added Harvin.

I like both - the only issue I have is one has extremely limited game experience and the other is a rookie.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Yea I'm somewhat nervous about going into a season with 2 of the 3 TEs having no meaningful NFL game experience. Not sure there are any decent FA options out there though

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1511kr5x said:
Yea I'm somewhat nervous about going into a season with 2 of the 3 TEs having no meaningful NFL game experience. Not sure there are any decent FA options out there though

Yeah, me too (hence this thread). I have a bad feeling Miller's foot is going to linger, although the good news is it's only June.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1eprso5l said:

I don't know if Visanthe Shianco has any tread left on the tires, but didn't we bring him in for a workout a couple years ago...?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Well, they're not going to have any more than three TEs on the final 53 anyway. Milller/Willson/McGrath seem like a lock (w/ Fells possibly stashed on PS). Does Morrah or any available FA really give you anything you can't get from a combination of Willson and McGrath? I feel like adding another TE at this point would just be for the sake of competition and kicking tires. At the end of the day, however, the position group won't be upgraded much with another body because you're just swapping out Willson or McGrath, and I'm not convinced there's much better out there.

Largent80

Reaction score
This tells me that T.E. won't be much involved unless Miller is in perfect health. Or, Pete sees/knows something us rubes don't

CANHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":173sg5i4 said:
This tells me that T.E. won't be much involved unless Miller is in perfect health. Or, Pete sees/knows something us rubes don't

Pete ALWAYS knows something us rubes don't.

SDHawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":23wgpidx said:
Missing_Clink":23wgpidx said:

I don't know if Visanthe Shianco has any tread left on the tires, but didn't we bring him in for a workout a couple years ago...?

Last year and he is familiar with Bevell's system

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I don't want to go dumpster diving because of a perceived need at TE. I don't really care about lack of experience. PC has shown over the last few years that experience is overrated and that he can get players to play well as rookies or 2nd year players with limited experience.

I beleive that Willson and McGrath will be fine even if they have to shoulder a bigger load if Miller misses time.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think they'd just roll with who they have, even if Miller misses some time. There's not a TE available offering up Miller's blocking abilities anyways. Miller's just to unique in pass/run blocking to replace with anyone available. Nothing you can do but tweak the gameplan, really.

Wilson/McGrath could most certainly get that wide-open, defensive-breakdown, reception a game, McCoy got anyways...?

pnwhawk25

Reaction score
Hoping Miller is health, but regardless I expect to see different sets compared to last season with the addition of Harvin.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I would hope they would simply run more 4 wides: get Tate and Baldwin on the field with Harvin and Rice

and

More jumbo running packages. Extra guard/tackle.

Not gonna worry about this, as much as I LOVE Miller's game.

We really have the personnel to pick our poison. And weather most any storm.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1doupclt said:
I would hope they would simply run more 4 wides: get Tate and Baldwin on the field with Harvin and Rice

and

More jumbo running packages. Extra guard/tackle.

Not gonna worry about this, as much as I LOVE Miller's game.

We really have the personnel to pick our poison.

If Miller stays healthy, it's a non issue.

What I wonder about is "if" he gets hurt...it seems like we would be a little off.

Just kind of hoping he is ready to rock come September.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":20zlipj1 said:

Absolutely. Who isn't? Still, if he wasn't good to go until October or he missed a month mid-season, so be it.

He is clutch as nails but it seems to me he was underutilized in the passing game for most of last season anyway.

"clutch as nails"??

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bestfightstory":cqnil901 said:
FlyingGreg":cqnil901 said:

Absolutely. Who isn't? Still, if he wasn't good to go until October or he missed a month mid-season, so be it.

He is clutch as nails but it seems to me he was underutilized in the passing game for most of last season anyway.

"clutch as nails"??

Yeah it was almost like all of a sudden last year they realized he was an All Pro receiving tight end...lol. I know, I know - we needed him to help block while the offensive line developed. Got it.

Now let's see him used like he was the last quarter of the season and the playoffs.