A little thin at Tight End?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
A little thin at Tight End?
Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:36 pm
  • I'm wondering if we are a little thin at tight end with McCoy on IR.

Miller is obviously a boss, but his foot issues could linger. If he were to miss time, we are left with Luke Willson (a pure receiving tight end), Sean McGrath and basketball convert Darren Fells (plus Cooper Helfet and Victor Marshall).

I wouldn't be shocked to see JS/PC prowling for a veteran TE. I wouldn't be shocked to see Morrah brought back, although personally I think that ship is sailed.

Whatcha think?
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Re: A little thin at Tight End?
Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:39 pm
  • I prefer my tight ends to be semi thick
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:39 pm
  • We probably won't know until training camp. PC has talked up McGrath and Willson a lot. Although, I doubt we will use as much 2 TE sets this year like we did last year now that we have added Harvin.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:40 pm
  • Hawken-Dazs wrote:We probably won't know until training camp. PC has talked up McGrath and Willson a lot. Although, I doubt we will use as much 2 TE sets this year like we did last year now that we have added Harvin.

I like both - the only issue I have is one has extremely limited game experience and the other is a rookie.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:41 pm
  • I remember being impressed with Cooper Helfet. Would like to see us kick the tires on that guy again...
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:I remember being impressed with Cooper Helfet. Would like to see us kick the tires on that guy again...

He seemed to stick out in pre-season last year. I think he had a few TD catches.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:48 pm
  • Yea I'm somewhat nervous about going into a season with 2 of the 3 TEs having no meaningful NFL game experience. Not sure there are any decent FA options out there though
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:50 pm
  • Missing_Clink wrote:Yea I'm somewhat nervous about going into a season with 2 of the 3 TEs having no meaningful NFL game experience. Not sure there are any decent FA options out there though

Yeah, me too (hence this thread). I have a bad feeling Miller's foot is going to linger, although the good news is it's only June.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:52 pm
  • Missing_Clink wrote:Yea I'm somewhat nervous about going into a season with 2 of the 3 TEs having no meaningful NFL game experience. Not sure there are any decent FA options out there though

I don't know if Visanthe Shianco has any tread left on the tires, but didn't we bring him in for a workout a couple years ago...?
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:58 pm
  • Well, they're not going to have any more than three TEs on the final 53 anyway. Milller/Willson/McGrath seem like a lock (w/ Fells possibly stashed on PS). Does Morrah or any available FA really give you anything you can't get from a combination of Willson and McGrath? I feel like adding another TE at this point would just be for the sake of competition and kicking tires. At the end of the day, however, the position group won't be upgraded much with another body because you're just swapping out Willson or McGrath, and I'm not convinced there's much better out there.
    Last edited by DavidSeven on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:59 pm
  • This tells me that T.E. won't be much involved unless Miller is in perfect health. Or, Pete sees/knows something us rubes don't
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:03 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:This tells me that T.E. won't be much involved unless Miller is in perfect health. Or, Pete sees/knows something us rubes don't

Pete ALWAYS knows something us rubes don't.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Yea I'm somewhat nervous about going into a season with 2 of the 3 TEs having no meaningful NFL game experience. Not sure there are any decent FA options out there though

I don't know if Visanthe Shianco has any tread left on the tires, but didn't we bring him in for a workout a couple years ago...?

Last year and he is familiar with Bevell's system
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm
  • I don't want to go dumpster diving because of a perceived need at TE. I don't really care about lack of experience. PC has shown over the last few years that experience is overrated and that he can get players to play well as rookies or 2nd year players with limited experience.

I beleive that Willson and McGrath will be fine even if they have to shoulder a bigger load if Miller misses time.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:17 pm
  • I think they'd just roll with who they have, even if Miller misses some time. There's not a TE available offering up Miller's blocking abilities anyways. Miller's just to unique in pass/run blocking to replace with anyone available. Nothing you can do but tweak the gameplan, really.

Wilson/McGrath could most certainly get that wide-open, defensive-breakdown, reception a game, McCoy got anyways...?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:39 pm
  • Hoping Miller is health, but regardless I expect to see different sets compared to last season with the addition of Harvin.
    pnwhawk25
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:32 pm
  • I would hope they would simply run more 4 wides: get Tate and Baldwin on the field with Harvin and Rice

and

More jumbo running packages. Extra guard/tackle.

Not gonna worry about this, as much as I LOVE Miller's game.

We really have the personnel to pick our poison. And weather most any storm.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:46 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:I would hope they would simply run more 4 wides: get Tate and Baldwin on the field with Harvin and Rice

and

More jumbo running packages. Extra guard/tackle.

Not gonna worry about this, as much as I LOVE Miller's game.

We really have the personnel to pick our poison.

If Miller stays healthy, it's a non issue.

What I wonder about is "if" he gets hurt...it seems like we would be a little off.

Just kind of hoping he is ready to rock come September.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:51 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:Just kind of hoping he is ready to rock come September.

Absolutely. Who isn't? Still, if he wasn't good to go until October or he missed a month mid-season, so be it.

He is clutch as nails but it seems to me he was underutilized in the passing game for most of last season anyway.

"clutch as nails"??
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:04 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:Just kind of hoping he is ready to rock come September.

Absolutely. Who isn't? Still, if he wasn't good to go until October or he missed a month mid-season, so be it.

He is clutch as nails but it seems to me he was underutilized in the passing game for most of last season anyway.

"clutch as nails"??

Yeah it was almost like all of a sudden last year they realized he was an All Pro receiving tight end...lol. I know, I know - we needed him to help block while the offensive line developed. Got it.

Now let's see him used like he was the last quarter of the season and the playoffs.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:06 pm
  • Thin at tight end and FAT at left guard.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:17 am
  • Hope McGrath makes a decent jump this year & plays great in the preseason, dudes got a great beard so he deserves it.
    EmbattleTheeHawks
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:54 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:I'm wondering if we are a little thin at tight end with McCoy on IR.

Miller is obviously a boss, but his foot issues could linger. If he were to miss time, we are left with Luke Willson (a pure receiving tight end), Sean McGrath and basketball convert Darren Fells (plus Cooper Helfet and Victor Marshall).

I wouldn't be shocked to see JS/PC prowling for a veteran TE. I wouldn't be shocked to see Morrah brought back, although personally I think that ship is sailed.

Whatcha think?

Throw James Carpenter out there and we won't be nearly as thin.

I wouldn't be against signing Cameron Morrah. I'm sure he isn't commanding more than a 1 year deal at this point.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:25 am
  • Russell Wilson's favorite target from NC state, 6-5 265 lb TE George Bryan is on the Browns practice squad. He has great hands and can block. If we were to bring in another TE I'd love it to be him.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:45 am
  • Im not nervous at all. McCoy caught 18 passes last year. Thats not significant.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 am
  • We went almost all season in 2012 w/o meaningful contributions at TE. Not too worried. Pete and Bevell seem able to generate points somehow, regardless.

I think I'd rather have our young guys work on their upside than bring in some worn out vet.

I wouldn't mind too much if they brought Morrah back in, but I don't consider it critical.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:24 am
  • T-Sizzle wrote:Im not nervous at all. McCoy caught 18 passes last year. Thats not significant.

Well...there's more to it than that.

He had 3 TDs, was our leading receiver with yards per catch (16.2), and had two of the longest catches our whole receiving corps had all season (67 yards against Arizona and 49 yards against the Rams). In fact, his 67-yarder was the longest pass completion on the team for the season.

He and Golden Tate were the only Seahawks receiver to eclipse 100 yards receiving in a game last year.

Now, I will say his role can be filled - most likely by Willson. Our offense sets up great opportunities for the second tight end and backs out of the field, especially now with another top-flight weapon (Harvin) in the mix.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:22 am
  • I wanna see some Wilson to Willson action.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information