Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
There really seems to be two points in this argument:

Group A thinks Tarvaris Jackson is the perfect BACK UP QB, despite his pedestrian stats he has familiarity within Bevell's system (he has been in Bevell's system in all but 1 season), T-Jack garnered mad respect of his Seahawks teammates during his 2011 season as the Seahawks starting QB , so much so, that the Seahawks had to trade him in order to move the chain of command to either Wilson or Flynn. While Jackson has pedestrian stats, he is still better than Quinn.

Group C thinks Tarvaris Jackson isn't the answer and never will be. They have argued points against him as if he will become the starting QB. Stating that he has slow drop back and an even slower read. Argued against Quinn is that Quinn has never been on good teams and still has a considerable amount of upside. (Which is almost fruitless because T-Jack was drafted in 2006, Quinn in 2007). T Jack couldn’t also survive the Buffalo Bills. So he’s worthless. Except for the facts that T-Jackson had to endure 3 changes of scenery in 3 years, 1) Vikings to the Seahawks in a lock-out shortened year 2) Seahawks to Bills in a trade in which he had to learn a new system for the first time in his career 3) Coaching change, FO change, meant another new system on the only team that spent a 1st round pick on a QB.

Simply to say Jackson isn’t worthwhile or worthless because he didn’t do jack squat with the Bills is a very cheap and ill formed statement.

However, the camp in Group A and the camp in Group C need to conform to the logical reason to those of Group B:

1) Tarvaris Jackson, although signed, isn’t going to be handed the back-up job, he’s going to have to compete for it with Quinn and Johnson

2) That fans can think and say whatever they want, but it’s the Seahawks that have the final decision as to who will make this team, they’ll pick the best guy they feel is best fit to backup Russell Wilson.

3) Whether that guy is Jackson, Quinn, or even Johnson… the best way to find out who will be that guy behind Wilson is competition…give the QB who probably thinks he’s in comfortable space a reason to watch his back, make the QB who is fighting for a chance feel like he has an even slimmer chance, and give another opportunity to a QB that deserves another opportunity to be part of this team but guarantee him nothing…. One of these guys will come out on top and likely better than they were going in.

It is not about “Who your favorite?” or “Who deserves it?” or “Who has the most upside?”… It’s about constructing the best 53 players out of 90 or so players and winning some damn football games to hoist a Lombardi.

Seeker

Reaction score
i'll just leave this hear

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6o0Cah5kQU[/youtube]

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
So how much are they paying for TJak?

It is Quinn money it is a fantastic deal. If they are paying him double that I am not going to be so upbeat.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Why does it matter how much he's making?

Now people wanna count the mans money, some of you are pathetic.

Cartire

Reaction score
T-Jack is back, its a fact.

Oh btw, this is for the backup spot. I dont remember so much controversy over a backup position.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Cartire":32mhh7e5 said:

Oh btw, this is for the backup spot. I dont remember so much controversy over a backup position.

Welcome to .Net where we can make a big deal out of anything.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Cartire":s4qdkk50 said:

Interesting, I don't believe anyone's brought that up yet.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1ij6tyvs said:
Cartire":1ij6tyvs said:

As a poster, I think you have no upside.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2f6i0h0a said:
ClumsyLurk":2f6i0h0a said:
Cartire":2f6i0h0a said:

The feels

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Scottemojo":23urwi3j said:
ClumsyLurk":23urwi3j said:
Cartire":23urwi3j said:

Yes but his floor is really low.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
It's' not counting his money. If he is getting paid twice what Quinn is it could be a factor in whether he stays or not. Our cap is real important coming into the near future.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Wow, 16 pages over the return of a potential backup QB.

All I'll say is what I told Leif the other day. It feels good, for a change, to be able to discuss the merits of multiple tragically flawed quarterbacks as the Seahawks BACKUP QB. I'm so used to these discussions about a QB's limitations, flaws, etc. being about the Seahawks starting QB. It's nice to finally have that Franchise guy leading the way, one who the rest of the league will envy at season's end if they don't already.

That's what I'm taking away from these 16 pages of gloriousness. Where the names Tarvaris Jackson, Brady Quinn, and Jerrod Johnson have been dropped more than their families would probably even care to admit.

Oh, and who else is hyped for TJack on the Real Rob Report?! I know I am!

kidhawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1zu6sggs said:
It's' not counting his money. If he is getting paid twice what Quinn is it could be a factor in whether he stays or not. Our cap is real important coming into the near future.

The only way getting paid double Quinn would affect his staying or not would be the possibility of him going. We know we have our starter, so they aren't going to go out and overpay the backup. Quinn is scheduled to make $715,000 this year, I'd expect Jackson's salary to be perhaps slightly more, but in a similar ball park.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Does anyone know what Jackson resigned for in Buffalo before he was released?

NYCoug

Reaction score
RichNhansom":fq0zx6wf said:

He was still on the contract that he signed with Seattle during his time with the Bills. He signed a two year, 8 million dollar deal with the Hawks in 2011, with him earning 2 mil in 2011 and 4 mil in 2012 (with Buffalo. Great move looking back on it when you consider cost/production/draft pick that turned into Harvin). If you're wondering, the additional two million were individual/team performance incentives available.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2011/08/26/mcintyre-a-closer-look-at-hawks-contracts-2/

Hold on to your clipboards! Charlie Whitehurst sighting coming up! Kudos to our boy Brian McIntyre for the info!

The first unrestricted free agent the Seahawks added was quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who agreed to a two-year, $8 million contract that immediately drew comparisons to Charlie Whitehurst’s deal from last March. While Whitehurst’s contract was technically a one-year, $6.8 million extension – Whitehurst had signed a one-year restricted free agent tender worth $1.176 million before the trade – the structures of the deals for the two quarterbacks are nearly identical.

Whitehurst received a $2 million roster bonus and $2 million base salary in 2010, with a $4 million base salary in 2011 and $1 million in incentives in each year of the contract. Jackson received a $1.5 million signing bonus and will receive a $500,000 roster bonus if he’s on the 53-man roster for Week One. Jackson has base salaries of $2 million in 2011 and $4 million in 2012, with $2.05 million in individual and team performance incentives available between the two years ($1 million in 2011, $1.05 million in 2012).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He was scheduled to make a $1.25m base salary from Buffalo. They also paid him a $500,000 signing/workout bonus, which he has already pocketed.

kidhawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":2nolz29d said:
RichNhansom":2nolz29d said:

He was still on the contract that he signed with Seattle during his time with the Bills. He signed a two year, 8 million dollar deal with the Hawks in 2011, with him earning 2 mil in 2011 and 4 mil in 2012 (with Buffalo. Great move looking back on it when you consider cost/production/draft pick that turned into Harvin). If you're wondering, the additional two million were individual/team performance incentives available.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2011/08/26/mcintyre-a-closer-look-at-hawks-contracts-2/

Hold on to your clipboards! Charlie Whitehurst sighting coming up! Kudos to our boy Brian McIntyre for the info!

The first unrestricted free agent the Seahawks added was quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who agreed to a two-year, $8 million contract that immediately drew comparisons to Charlie Whitehurst’s deal from last March. While Whitehurst’s contract was technically a one-year, $6.8 million extension – Whitehurst had signed a one-year restricted free agent tender worth $1.176 million before the trade – the structures of the deals for the two quarterbacks are nearly identical.

Whitehurst received a $2 million roster bonus and $2 million base salary in 2010, with a $4 million base salary in 2011 and $1 million in incentives in each year of the contract. Jackson received a $1.5 million signing bonus and will receive a $500,000 roster bonus if he’s on the 53-man roster for Week One. Jackson has base salaries of $2 million in 2011 and $4 million in 2012, with $2.05 million in individual and team performance incentives available between the two years ($1 million in 2011, $1.05 million in 2012).

Actually we traded Jackson in his last year of his contract. This is true, but the Bills re-signed him to a new contract for the 2013 season, then they had the regime change and the draft and free agency and went in another direction.

Jackson has $550,000 from the bills for his trouble. That is the dead money attributed to cutting him. Likely that was a signing bonus, although it could have been guaranteed money. Basically he was paid half a million to miss out on a few months of free agency

NYCoug

Reaction score
I just got owned hard!

Well done David and kidhawk :bow:

:192214: