Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":4mko8okw said:
Chukarhawk":4mko8okw said:
the list is not in any particualr order, just back ups I could think of

And not a one of them is on our team, so that means you think Jackson is the best back up we have right? (well have after the official signing)

yes, I do. This was a respnse to people saying he's a top 5 back up. He's not.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":9q0anwo9 said:
kidhawk":9q0anwo9 said:
Chukarhawk":9q0anwo9 said:
the list is not in any particualr order, just back ups I could think of

And not a one of them is on our team, so that means you think Jackson is the best back up we have right? (well have after the official signing)

yes, I do. This was a respnse to people saying he's a top 5 back up. He's not.

That's all really just subjective there, fans will usually do one of two things, completely overrate or completely underrate players on their own team. We really don't know what kind of backup he'll be, and hopefully we'll never find out, because I don't want Wilson to miss any time unless we're up by 3-4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
some of the guys I list like Cousins, are there becuase of upside and having watched them play, they are light years ahead of Tjack. Look at cousins play, his pocket presence is already way ahead of Jackson.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":z6g2jl8d said:
some of the guys I list like Cousins, are there becuase of upside and having watched them play, they are light years ahead of Tjack. Look at cousins play, his pocket presence is already way ahead of Jackson.

That's wonderful for Cousins, but he ain't an option here. You're taking this conversation to a whole other unnecasarry place.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3n6a6wtz said:

Obviously you are going to find a lot of guys through the draft with a ton of potential, but we don't currently have that option, the market is what it is. If you want to push for them to draft a qb next year, that's fine, but that won't help us this year. Personally, I don't think we need to waste the draft capital on a backup qb when we can find serviceable guys out there like Jackson to get us by. When you get a guy like Wilson, you put the franchise on his back and let him carry you through as long as you can. To do that, you will need to fill the team with talented youngsters, because as guys age they start to cost more. Getting inexpensive qb's to play backup from the heap of unwanted is the easiest way to continue to keep the roster churning with fresh young and inexpensive talent while being able to pay your core group of players to keep them.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
True, a young guy like Russell, you're likely looking at a career backup.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":2joyqukr said:
Chukarhawk":2joyqukr said:

That's wonderful for Cousins, but he ain't an option here. You're taking this conversation to a whole other unnecasarry place.

you must have missed the part where i said this was in reponse to the idae that Jackson is a top 5 back up. Im not advocating getting anyone on that list. Jackson is probably the best guy available right now.

kidhawk

Reaction score
It's almost official....Carroll says that Jackson and Quinn will comPETE for the backup qb job.

[urltargetblank]http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/06/13/carroll-tarvaris-jackson-and-brady-quinn-will-compete-for-backup-qb-job/[/urltargetblank]

“So we bring him back with the thought that he’ll make this a real competitive situation. … Russell’s our quarterback. There’s no question about that. But if Tarvaris comes back in, he understands the system. We’re very familiar with him. He’s comfortable in these setting and surroundings, and we’ll expect him to battle.”

themunn

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":19tziinm said:

How much does Cousins benefit from the "backup we've never seen play before" factor that made John Skelton (and strangely, Kevin Kolb when he returned from injury) look like a serviceable QB for a couple of games?
If the rest of the league thought he was genuinely a QB who could play and win 10+ games in a season (ie. the same number RGIII won, so that would make him just as good as RGIII), then you can be damn certain the Redskins would have recouped one of those 1st round picks they traded away last year for him

Cousins sure looked good when he went 3-10 for 31 yards against us in the playoffs that's for sure

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
themunn":1jd34mdq said:
Chukarhawk":1jd34mdq said:

How much does Cousins benefit from the "backup we've never seen play before" factor that made John Skelton (and strangely, Kevin Kolb when he returned from injury) look like a serviceable QB for a couple of games?
If the rest of the league thought he was genuinely a QB who could play and win 10+ games in a season (ie. the same number RGIII won, so that would make him just as good as RGIII), then you can be damn certain the Redskins would have recouped one of those 1st round picks they traded away last year for him

Cousins sure looked good when he went 3-10 for 31 yards against us in the playoffs that's for sure
And Matt Cassell led the Pats to the playoffs in TB's absence, he sure did great in KC last year. Hell you could argue Cassell's not even a quality backup for how shite he looked in KC.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Happypuppy":38dx5g3n said:
Tjack still completed 60% of his passes and threw for for over 3000 yards. His QBR was a bit over 79. He was also sacked a lot also. I don't think these numbers a too bad for a backup QB that has the familiarity and respect of many of the Seahawks

His passer rating was 79, true.

His QBR was 37.7

In that goofy ESPN stat, 50 represents "average" and 100 is the max.

For context:
Alex Smith was the NFC West leader that year with a QBR of 45.8.
Skelton was 35.1 and Kolb came in at 34.4.
Bradford ranked 32nd in the league with 28.6.

[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2011[/urltargetblank]

kearly

Reaction score
QBR is a garbage stat, but at least this one time, it doesn't sound too far off. The median passer rating in 2011 was 86, so a 79 passer rating would have been pretty close to 37.7th percentile in that area too.

kidhawk

Reaction score
It's official, T-Jack signed his deal.

[urltargetblank]http://mynorthwest.com/292/2295297/Tarvaris-Jackson-back-in-Seahawks-plans[/urltargetblank]

Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson may not have been on the field for the Seahawks' final offseason workout, but he is in the team's plans after signing a one-year contract with Seattle Thursday afternoon.

Subzero717

Reaction score
kidhawk":3iusl3ld said:
It's official, T-Jack signed his deal.

[urltargetblank]http://mynorthwest.com/292/2295297/Tarvaris-Jackson-back-in-Seahawks-plans[/urltargetblank]

Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson may not have been on the field for the Seahawks' final offseason workout, but he is in the team's plans after signing a one-year contract with Seattle Thursday afternoon.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes it's yes yes yes yes yes yes it's yes yes yes yes yes it's

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I wonder if it is more than league minimum. He signed before for 4 mill a year but obviously he's not getting anything like that now.

Cartire

Reaction score
RichNhansom":22h45sct said:
I wonder if it is more than league minimum. He signed before for 4 mill a year but obviously he's not getting anything like that now.

He's a vet, so the league minimum is already in the millions. He'll probably get minimum and be happy with that. He's in no position for negotiations as a backup when no other team is looking.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The real question is what was the signing bonus. If they wanted to entice him, they may have increased the signing bonus so he'd at least have some money in his pocket if he doesn't stick around

birdman5

Reaction score
My guess is T-Jack won't look very good against our secondary either. Most starters in this league won't.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm happy about this. TJ can go .500 with this team easily if called on, if Pete/JS think Quinn can do better, then Quinn will be the guy instead. Nothing but upside here.