How?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
How?
Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:28 pm
  • How in the world does NFL.com justify ranking Andrew Luck as the best QB under 25?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... 5-or-under

No young quarterback completed more "wow" plays than Andrew Luck last year. Asked to do more than any of his counterparts in the league last year, the Indianapolis Colts' signal-caller responded.

More "wow" plays than any other young QB last year? What a fat load of BS. He did, however, make more "WTF" plays than Kap, Wilson, or Griffin III. He might be great next season, but as of now Luck is by far the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.
    Last edited by Trrrroy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Re: How?
Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 pm
  • He's statistically inferior to Carson Palmer last year, and they say he's better than two QB's who scored a plus-100 rating in their first seasons?

My ass.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:04 pm
  • Lemme try and explain it for you guys why he is.

.......................................I uh..................................
    ................i can't...
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:17 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Lemme try and explain it for you guys why he is.

.......................................I uh..................................
    ................i can't...

You brought up some great points there. :th2thumbs:
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 pm
  • That list was the single dumbest ranking I've read in quite a while. Bradford over Dalton is a joke. Wilson at #5 is a pick submerged in a gulf of ignorance. Kaepernick at #3 is comedy.

But you think they'd at least put RG3 #1. Putting Luck #1 makes the list so incomprehensible, it reads like satire. Luck's performance last year was basically a cross between Stafford's (very high number of pass attempts, poor efficiency stats) and Tannehill's (poor efficiency stats, mobile, untapped upside). Tannehill and Stafford were #6 and #7. It's not like they were chopped meat on draft day, either.

Stupid.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:40 pm
  • I like how they said Luck had more "wow" plays like Wilson didn't drop a game winner on the patriots, or keep the 49ers chasing him for an hour in one play, among others, not to mention the magic RGIII and Newton and Kaepernick pull off on a weekly basis, this list is turrible!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:46 pm
  • Somewhere Russell Wilson just said "I've got your 'wow plays' right here" while grabbing his junk.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:10 am
  • We do get to play them in week 5.....
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:24 am
  • Trrrroy wrote:How in the world does NFL.com justify ranking Andrew Luck as the best QB under 25?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... 5-or-under

No young quarterback completed more "wow" plays than Andrew Luck last year. Asked to do more than any of his counterparts in the league last year, the Indianapolis Colts' signal-caller responded.

More "wow" plays than any other young QB last year? What a fat load of BS. He did, however, make more "WTF" plays than Kap, Wilson, or Griffin III. He might be great next season, but as of now Luck is by far the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.

He was the number #1 pick in the draft, they're going to try and force feed us this crap until they run out of ammo... just kick back and wait em out... the truth will come to light soon enough... He's good, but is he the best of the top 3 rookie QB's, 4 if you include Kap, the answer is Hell to the NO...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 am
  • hawker84 wrote:He was the number #1 pick in the draft, they're going to try and force feed us this crap until they run out of ammo....

Exactly.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 am
  • pinksheets wrote:Somewhere Russell Wilson just said "I've got your 'wow plays' right here" while grabbing his junk.

Nope, that's not his style. He just grabbed all of the footage of the '12 Colts and is dissecting the hell out of them right now to put up a NFL record 200+ points in a single game against them.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:11 am
  • 2. Robert Griffin III

Before his ACL injury, Robert Griffin III authored one of the greatest rookie seasons in NFL history. So where does the young Washington Redskins quarterback go from here?

RW's numbers were almost statistically identical, and he won more games. Yet 3 spots lower?

Don't even get me started on Luck.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:12 am
  • Why is anyone shocked by this anymore? Luck was anointed Manning #2 (#3?), and they're not going to let go of that storyline until it's pried from their cold, dead hands.

Should be fun watching Luck have a 46.3 QB rating against Seattle (as part of their overall 7-9 campaign) next year, though.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:15 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    2. Robert Griffin III

Before his ACL injury, Robert Griffin III authored one of the greatest rookie seasons in NFL history. So where does the young Washington Redskins quarterback go from here?

RW's numbers were almost statistically identical, and he won more games. Yet 3 spots lower?

Don't even get me started on Luck.

No they weren't. RW tired Mannings rookie record at 26 TDs. Griffin wasn't close to that. He did have a tiny bit of an edge in passer rating. Big deal.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 pm
  • Cam Newton's 2011 was more impressive than Luck's by some distance.
    At least the Colts had a LITTLE bit of defense to help them out.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:48 pm
  • The only thing I can see is he took his team to the playoffs after being the #1 pick (which I don't believe has ever been done).

And the list was just top 10 QBs under 25. If I were a GM, I'd pick Luck too... even with Kaep having a great season. Luck has all the qualities of being a HOF type QB. RGIII and Kaep are extremely athletic, but potential injuries with scrambling / spread / pistol still remain. Wilson had excellent vision and escapability, but also runs quite a bit and is smaller than the other guys (which seems to mean less than we all thought). Cam may be the most athletic of the bunch, but doesn't demonstrate the leadership qualities of the other guys, or the fanatic drive required to be a successful QB.

If I had my choice of QBs to start a franchise with, between Newton, Wilson, RGIII, Kaep, and Luck, my order would be...

1) Luck - Best pocket passer - took the worst team the furthest
    2a) Kaep - Superb athleticism, arm strength, accuracy, leadership, demonstrated he can win on the road
    2b) Wilson - Great arm talent, excellent pocket awareness and escapability, great leadership
    4) RGIII - Could be the most accurate passer of the bunch and the fastest, but his health concerns are the most prevalent
    5) Newton - Not convinced he is dedicated enough to be elite.

Kaep and Wilson are essentially equivalent in my view. I will say that the top 4 guys, and potentially all 5, should be pro-bowlers for years to come.
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:23 pm
  • I don't get all of the Kaepernick love. Sure, he's big with a strong arm, but he stares at one spot on the field after taking the snap and doesn't throw the ball until the WR is open.

Just watch him on every play. He walks up behind the center, turns his head side to side too fast to really see anything (like he learned to look at the defense but doesn't quite understand why). He then takes the snap and looks at one part of the field and doesn't turn his head away for anything. If the receiver is covered, he just stands there staring at that same receiver until the receiver is open and then guns the ball in or he runs.

Kaepernick reminds me a lot of Tarvaris Jackson except Tarvaris wouldn't run and would take the sack.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:57 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:I don't get all of the Kaepernick love. Sure, he's big with a strong arm, but he stares at one spot on the field after taking the snap and doesn't throw the ball until the WR is open.

Just watch him on every play. He walks up behind the center, turns his head side to side too fast to really see anything (like he learned to look at the defense but doesn't quite understand why). He then takes the snap and looks at one part of the field and doesn't turn his head away for anything. If the receiver is covered, he just stands there staring at that same receiver until the receiver is open and then guns the ball in or he runs.

Kaepernick reminds me a lot of Tarvaris Jackson except Tarvaris wouldn't run and would take the sack.

I've got nothing for you. You've already made your mind up. If you'd like to be proven wrong, please see...

First Start:
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights
    at 1:41, he throws Mario Manningham open for a huge gain
    at 2:00, finds 3rd receiver in progression (Crabtree) for TD

At New England:
    at 1:51, finds 3rd receiver in progression (Walker) for TD
    at 3:45, Kaep throws a dart between double coverage for a TD
    at 5:47, Kaep adjust the play at the line, recognizing single coverage on Crabtree, TD ... it's doesn't show his presnap read, but other highlights do (unfortunately I can't find any that NFL.com hasn't taken down)

Arizona - Needed a Win to Secure Bye
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201212301 ... &tab=recap
    at 0:09, avoids the rush, finds finds 2nd receiver (Crabtree) for long TD over Patrick Peterson
    at 0:24, finds Crabtree again, with Peterson in great position, throws Crabtree open for the TD.

First Playoff Game:
    at 1:01, avoids rush, finds Gore in a broken play, beautiful touch for a big gain
    at 3:19, throws a bullet to only where Crabtree can get it. TD
    at 5:41, throws a great touch pass to Vernon for a big gain, pump fake + 2nd read
    at 6:48, throws Walker open on a big 3rd down play

NFC Championship away, down 17
    at 2:53, throws into double coverage, throws open Vernon Davis
    at 3:03, 3:29, throws nice touch passes to Vernon
    at 4:28, throws open Delani Walker
    at 5:05, finds 2nd option Vernon with a sweet touch pass
    at 6:40, there aren't too many QBs in the league that can make that throw!

Super Bowl, down 22
    at 1:15, good touch pass to Vernon in between coverage
    at 6:38, good double clutch pass to Vernon
    at 6:48, again good pass in coverage, Crabtree finishes play with TD
    at 9:33, finds 2nd option Moss for big gain
    at 11:05, throws a dart inbetween multiple defenders

Obviously, these are only highlights, and there are a lot of dink/dunk plays too, but I can gather from your comment that you haven't watch much, if any 49ers other than the Seattle game.
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:53 am
  • Still trying to educate us huh? :roll:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Still trying to educate us huh? :roll:

NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:18 pm
  • Pretty obvious it's because he's the "white one".
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:35 pm
  • Think it comes from who the former QB of that team was.
    Claden
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:24 am
  • Stephen SeaHawking wrote:Pretty obvious it's because he's the "white one".

Haha that made me laugh.
    kag0331
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:26 am
  • NinerBuff wrote:
    rideaducati wrote:I don't get all of the Kaepernick love. Sure, he's big with a strong arm, but he stares at one spot on the field after taking the snap and doesn't throw the ball until the WR is open.

I've got nothing for you. You've already made your mind up. If you'd like to be proven wrong, please see...

First Start:
    at 1:41, he throws Mario Manningham open for a huge gain
    at 2:00, finds 3rd receiver in progression (Crabtree) for TD

At New England:
    at 1:51, finds 3rd receiver in progression (Walker) for TD
    at 3:45, Kaep throws a dart between double coverage for a TD
    at 5:47, Kaep adjust the play at the line, recognizing single coverage on Crabtree, TD ... it's doesn't show his presnap read, but other highlights do (unfortunately I can't find any that NFL.com hasn't taken down)

Arizona - Needed a Win to Secure Bye
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201212301 ... &tab=recap
    at 0:09, avoids the rush, finds finds 2nd receiver (Crabtree) for long TD over Patrick Peterson
    at 0:24, finds Crabtree again, with Peterson in great position, throws Crabtree open for the TD.

First Playoff Game:
    at 1:01, avoids rush, finds Gore in a broken play, beautiful touch for a big gain
    at 3:19, throws a bullet to only where Crabtree can get it. TD
    at 5:41, throws a great touch pass to Vernon for a big gain, pump fake + 2nd read
    at 6:48, throws Walker open on a big 3rd down play

NFC Championship away, down 17
    at 2:53, throws into double coverage, throws open Vernon Davis
    at 3:03, 3:29, throws nice touch passes to Vernon
    at 4:28, throws open Delani Walker
    at 5:05, finds 2nd option Vernon with a sweet touch pass
    at 6:40, there aren't too many QBs in the league that can make that throw!

Super Bowl, down 22
    at 1:15, good touch pass to Vernon in between coverage
    at 6:38, good double clutch pass to Vernon
    at 6:48, again good pass in coverage, Crabtree finishes play with TD
    at 9:33, finds 2nd option Moss for big gain
    at 11:05, throws a dart inbetween multiple defenders

Obviously, these are only highlights, and there are a lot of dink/dunk plays too, but I can gather from your comment that you haven't watch much, if any 49ers other than the Seattle game.

Don't bring facts into an NFL message board we work off pure emotion around here!.. ha
    Seriously that is a heck of post it shocked me that someone went that far to prove their theory into fact. Great job.
    kag0331
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:43 pm
  • kag0331 wrote:Don't bring facts into an NFL message board we work off pure emotion around here!.. ha
    Seriously that is a heck of post it shocked me that someone went that far to prove their theory into fact. Great job.

:D lol, thanks man. I'm not here to be a troll. I think it's obvious that both our teams are very good, and I think a lot of Seahawk fans have a warped view of Kaepernick in general. After all, he had a pretty lousy game in SEA (as well as the whole team for that matter), and they think that was a good representation of Kaepernick. I was very skeptical of the move to Kaep during the season, especially with how Alex was playing, but the Bears & the Saints games started to change my mind, but the one game where it was obvious that Kaep was superior was the away game in NE. Alex Smith had never thrown 4 TDs in a game in his entire career, and here comes Kaep with 4 starts, in the elements, in a hostile environment, against an all-time great who's putting on an all-time comeback and he doesn't flinch.

Now, with that said, Wilson is really f*cking good. I was in Seattle visiting my fiancee's family during the Buffalo laugher, and I came away really impressed. The game that showed me he was legit was the Bears game. That's were there was no excuse, he took the team on his back and won that game. And in reality, it was your defense that caved against ATL. Wilson played well enough to win that game. It's actually kind of remarkable how similar our games in ATL were. Both down big, both with big comebacks, and both times ATL had a chance to drive down the field and score. The big difference was they needed a TD against us, but only a FG against you. That's really what it came down to.

Anyway, I hope to keep the banter up, and can't wait for GAME 2!!! Should be great television!
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information