Mayweather v Alvarez

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Mayweather v Alvarez
Thu May 30, 2013 9:03 am
  • Well, well, well Mayweather took a challenging fight. I'm pretty stoked for this one. Canelo's size gives him a shot, albeit a small shot.

This is great for boxing…
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Re: Mayweather v Alvarez
Thu May 30, 2013 9:24 am
  • Can't wait for this one. Alvarez will probably outweigh Mayweather by 15+ pounds on fight night. Absolutely great for boxing indeed. Guessing Mayweather puts on a boxing clinic, but Alvarez certainly has a chance.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 30, 2013 9:28 am
  • We saw a similar fight when Sergio purposefully bloodied Chavez Jr, for the sake of bloodying him. Then in the 12th, Jr's weight finally game him a shot.

Sergio's only slightly less than Mayweather. But, Alvarez is WAY better than Chavez Jr. This is an actual risk for Mayweather.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 am
  • This isn't a risk for Mayweather. He's one of the greatest actual boxers in the history of boxing. But, Alvarez is better than Guerrero.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 30, 2013 10:23 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:This isn't a risk for Mayweather. He's one of the greatest actual boxers in the history of boxing. But, Alvarez is better than Guerrero.

In respect to Mayweather's usual choice in opponents and the weight disparity, yes, its a risk.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu May 30, 2013 11:25 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:This isn't a risk for Mayweather. He's one of the greatest actual boxers in the history of boxing. But, Alvarez is better than Guerrero.

In respect to Mayweather's usual choice in opponents and the weight disparity, yes, its a risk.

This.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu May 30, 2013 11:49 am
  • Better than his usual choice of opponents, but I don't give Canelo much of a chance. I've never been sold on the guy. He just seems so vulnerable with a decent fighter with some speed. I remember seeing him have a hard time with Miguel Cotto's bro, Jose Miguel. It is the biggest fight he could have taken at this moment though, so kudos to Mayweather on that.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu May 30, 2013 2:10 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:Better than his usual choice of opponents, but I don't give Canelo much of a chance. I've never been sold on the guy. He just seems so vulnerable with a decent fighter with some speed. I remember seeing him have a hard time with Miguel Cotto's bro, Jose Miguel. It is the biggest fight he could have taken at this moment though, so kudos to Mayweather on that.

I feel the same way about almost all the young fighters. Chavez, Canelo, Diaz before he was beat.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu May 30, 2013 2:26 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:Better than his usual choice of opponents, but I don't give Canelo much of a chance. I've never been sold on the guy. He just seems so vulnerable with a decent fighter with some speed. I remember seeing him have a hard time with Miguel Cotto's bro, Jose Miguel. It is the biggest fight he could have taken at this moment though, so kudos to Mayweather on that.

I feel the same way about almost all the young fighters. Chavez, Canelo, Diaz before he was beat.

A young guy Ive had my eye on since he was 17 is Jose Benavidez Jr. Met him in Dallas before the Pac-Clottey fight. Funny thing was right before that in the hotel room, I was showing my friends YouTube highlights of him.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:45 am
  • Alvarez is going to be eaten alive. His boxing skills are superb but his stamina is very suspect and he's prone to making mental mistakes in fights, which of course is something Mayweather is the best at exploiting

UD for PBF
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 am
  • I'm just delighted to see "real" fighting. This cage crap is so phoney and lacking in skills its boring to watch.

And those arm punches they throw? Lets get them in a ring with a real puncher and see how long they last.

On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:11 am
  • The Radish wrote:I'm just delighted to see "real" fighting. This cage crap is so phoney and lacking in skills its boring to watch.

And those arm punches they throw? Lets get them in a ring with a real puncher and see how long they last.

It's funny when I see people dog MMA. Get into an octagon and see how unskilled those guys are. Boxing is superior in every way, but MMA is exciting to watch as well (for the most part).
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:33 pm
  • The Radish wrote:I'm just delighted to see "real" fighting. This cage crap is so phoney and lacking in skills its boring to watch.

Actually that's been done. Several times. Last time was randy coture vs james toney. Short fight. Mma fighters most always win those deals because boxers are one dimensional.

The striking in mma is different because the fighter has to be prepared to defend a much wider variety of attacks than a boxer. Not better or worse just different.

You're wayyyyyy out in left field on this one les.
    RIP Les. We will miss you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:52 pm
  • sadhappy wrote:
    The Radish wrote:I'm just delighted to see "real" fighting. This cage crap is so phoney and lacking in skills its boring to watch.

Actually that's been done. Several times. Last time was randy coture vs james toney. Short fight. Mma fighters most always win those deals because boxers are one dimensional.

The striking in mma is different because the fighter has to be prepared to defend a much wider variety of attacks than a boxer. Not better or worse just different.

We will have to agree to disagree. If they really want to have so called "cage fighting" then why not allow anything goes and allow full contact. That way you perhaps could see some planning.

To me its just two maulers that must have majored in scrums all their lives.

That's what makes the world go around I guess. and btw I have been a cage fight live and that's how I developed my opinion. I just don't see it but am willing to let you see it how you want.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:06 pm
  • The Radish wrote:
    sadhappy wrote:
    The Radish wrote:I'm just delighted to see "real" fighting. This cage crap is so phoney and lacking in skills its boring to watch.

We will have to agree to disagree. If they really want to have so called "cage fighting" then why not allow anything goes and allow full contact. That way you perhaps could see some planning.

That's what makes the world go around I guess. and btw I have been a cage fight live and that's how I developed my opinion. I just don't see it but am willing to let you see it how you want.

1. Because anything goes is illegal. That's actually how it started out, but that caused..problems. Probably for the best there are some rules, safety of the fighters and all that.

2. Ju jitsu is hardly two guys randomly wrestle humping each other.

3. your opinion is based on pretty limited exposure, to say the least.

Honestly the history of the UFC and how it all came about and how it evolved is pretty fascinating stuff. The original idea was to take world class practitioners from all the major fighting disciplines, put them in a tournament, and see which fighting style was the best. And, as it turns out, this little tiny dude in a GI by the name of Royce Gracie used ju jitsu to defeat all of his opponents and win the UFC 1 title, a no holds barred competition with no weight classes.

I'll leave it at that. up to you if want to to explore it further or just hold to your opinion.
    RIP Les. We will miss you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:11 pm
  • sadhappy wrote:
    The Radish wrote:
    sadhappy wrote:[quote="The Radish"]I'm just delighted to see "real" fighting. This cage crap is so phoney and lacking in skills its boring to watch.

1. Because anything goes is illegal. That's actually how it started out, but that caused..problems. Probably for the best there are some rules, safety of the fighters and all that.

2. Ju jitsu is hardly two guys randomly wrestle humping each other.

3. your opinion is based on pretty limited exposure, to say the least.

Honestly the history of the UFC and how it all came about and how it evolved is pretty fascinating stuff. The original idea was to take world class practitioners from all the major fighting disciplines, put them in a tournament, and see which fighting style was the best. And, as it turns out, this little tiny dude in a GI by the name of Royce Gracie used ju jitsu to defeat all of his opponents and win the UFC 1 title, a no holds barred competition with no weight classes.

I'll leave it at that. up to you if want to to explore it further or just hold to your opinion.[/quote]

I've heard from too many people that ju jitsu is the hardest form of combat they've trained in. That's enough to make me respect true MMA/ju jitsu practitioners.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:05 pm
  • sadhappy wrote:

Whoa whoa. You just went with the Toney/Couture fight for your argument. Tisk tisk. Weak sauce.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:48 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:

I worked in a video store when the first UFC tape came out on the market and I was psyched for it to be good. Instead of "Bloodsport: Real Life Edition" I got 350 lb. behemoths rolling around on the ground with little guys with barely a punch thrown or a kick landed.

Never really been into UFC since.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:37 pm

You have no idea on what you're talking about and honestly you should let the people that know real fighting and actually have done it speak about what's real or not instead of someone that decides to spew their ignorance about a subject they are foreign to
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:38 pm
  • Shaz wrote:

You have no idea on what you're talking about and honestly you should let the people that know real fighting and actually have done it speak about what's real or not instead of someone that decides to spew their ignorance about a subject they are foreign to

Really? Well a long time boxing fan and I can tell you merely by watching that the cage fighters throw mostly arm punches because they are always trying get set up to throw leg punchs.

I've been watching boxing long before Sugar Ray Leonard was a gleam in his Father's eye and Cassisus Clay was an Olympic hopeful. So yes I think I probably know a bit about the subject.

How about you?

:roll:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:16 pm
  • The Radish wrote:
    Shaz wrote:

Really? Well a long time boxing fan and I can tell you merely by watching that the cage fighters throw mostly arm punches because they are always trying get set up to throw leg punchs.

I've been watching boxing long before Sugar Ray Leonard was a gleam in his Father's eye and Cassisus Clay was an Olympic hopeful. So yes I think I probably know a bit about the subject.

How about you?

I think he's talking about MMA.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:25 am
  • its just a dream, but I would love to see MMA go back to its roots. I can see having weight classes, but I'd sure like to see no round, no time limit fights. Fight starts, fight ends..no scoring. ko, submission or tap.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:34 am
  • The Radish wrote:
    Shaz wrote:

How about you?

I've boxed and I've done MMA.

I have been involved combat sports for a long time. I get it, you're an observer but unfortunately for you you're not a very good one.

I love boxing but in a real fight it doesn't hold up to grappling (Wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, etc....) because whether you want to believe it or not, the fight will hit the ground and boxers have no chance to defend that.
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:45 am
  • I love boxing but in a real fight it doesn't hold up to grappling (Wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, etc....) because whether you want to believe it or not, the fight will hit the ground and boxers have no chance to defend that.

My point exactly! I can see crap like that on any street or school yard daily/weekly.

My point boxing takes an entirely different talent. In fact from my viewpoint your style of fighting takes about as much talent as watching the school yard bullys thrash around on each other.

Also I notice you and a couple of others think its ok to love your style of fighting and have a "Cow Man" at anyone not agreeing with you.

In my case I dislike your style of what you call talented fighting. I think its pure bullshit. But that's my right. I accept you like your stuff, let me have the same privilige. And I didn't think its bad or uneducated or anything of that nature. I said I didn't like it. And whether you like it or not all other kinds of fighting that are being talked about here do not hit as hard as boxers because the only thing they use their entire body for is kicking.

Put one of your fighters in a ring and not allow him to use anything but his fists and he will have a hard time lasting any time at all against a boxer, and more than likely will get put on his knickers. And that's been proven time and time again by people in the sport.

Started years ago when Randall "Tex" Cobb was world champion of full contact decided to try straight boxing. In his words he got the crap knocked out of him because those boxers hit a lot harder than what he was used to.

Many here love Chuck Norris who I think is or maybe was now a days, one of the toughest guys alive. He had the sense to stay out of the boxing ring because they are such different types of combat.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:16 pm
  • It's fine to say you don't like it. It's another to say it takes no skill.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:22 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:It's fine to say you don't like it. It's another to say it takes no skill.

Ok, you're right. A different skill set. That's why it holds no interest to me. For me its like grade school schuffling as opposed to ballroom dancing with bloody noses.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information