Man of Steel

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Man of Steel
Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:33 am
  • Man, I've got really high hopes for this. Looks like it could be pretty good. I'll be taking my dad for Father's Day.

JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Man of Steel
Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:55 am
  • I wasn't looking forward to it until I saw theatrical previews, but now I'm stoked for it.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:05 pm
  • I will be going to watch this in IMAX.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 pm

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:34 pm
  • Im kinda excited but I dont really have high hopes since Chris Nolan is involved
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:42 am
  • OMG!! Is the story of the Son of Jerrell?!?!?!?!

seen it umpteen times... bugger off Hollywood.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:49 am
  • oh..and ZOD!!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:38 am
  • NoChops wrote:OMG!! Is the story of the Son of Jerrell?!?!?!?!

seen it umpteen times... bugger off Hollywood.

I too am tired of remakes. But I have seen enough of Superman ones to know its Jar-el

:D
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:02 am

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:27 am
  • sorry, I don't speak nerd :D unless its Marvel :thfight7:
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:54 pm
  • Until they make a movie with either Darkseid or Doomsday, none of them are worth watching.
    FIRE CABLE!
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:43 pm
  • BASF wrote:Until they make a movie with either Darkseid or Doomsday, none of them are worth watching.

Braniac or Bizarro could be interesting also.
    Ballz
    NET Rookie

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:56 pm
  • Looks like another tired rehash with fifteen-minute CGI-battles that put you to sleep.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:00 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote: I'll be taking my dad for Father's Day.

I think my kids will be taking their dad for Father's Day.
    * NET Staff *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:16 pm
  • Ballz wrote:
    BASF wrote:Until they make a movie with either Darkseid or Doomsday, none of them are worth watching.

Braniac or Bizarro could be interesting also.

This is what makes me happy that i'm not a comic book guy. I have no clue what you're talking about. So I can just go enjoy a good popcorn movie without obsessing and overanalyzing anything.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:20 pm
  • I hear you there, J. As a reader of actual novels that span many hundreds of pages, I honestly find it a bit offensive that comic book nerds get so uppity about crap like this based on a 30-year history of 500 comic books that have enough combined dialogue in them to read in an hour.

Nitpicking movies based on comic books is ridiculous to me. There was never substantive extended dialogue for detail in the first place, and comic books inherently have tons of room for interpretation because of that.

Flame away...
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:15 pm
  • I've been into comics for a little over a year now. But, even I find the fanboys extremely annoying.

And, I only "read" comics while doing other things. Last night I reread All-Star Superman, during game 2 of the finals. That's what comics are perfect for, reading while doing other things.

For the record, all Superman comics suck, sans All-Star Superman. Its trippy goodness.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:12 pm
  • Looks melodramatic like all the other superhero movies being shoved down our throats
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:21 pm
  • Shoved down your throat? I don't think anybody is forcing you to go see it.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:50 pm
  • Supes is SUCH a hard character to pull off. A pretty much invincible "god" with the morality of Jesus himself. Very hard to relate or place in a realistic context.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:49 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Shoved down your throat? I don't think anybody is forcing you to go see it.

Ok maybe that word choice was wrong, but I find the way studios are churning out one superhero movie after another very tedious
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:17 pm
  • Enjoy it while it lasts. The only thing beyond that is the churning of the board game movies.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:21 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Enjoy it while it lasts. The only thing beyond that is the churning of the board game movies.

Jumanji 3 is coming out?!
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:41 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I hear you there, J. As a reader of actual novels that span many hundreds of pages, I honestly find it a bit offensive that comic book nerds get so uppity about crap like this based on a 30-year history of 500 comic books that have enough combined dialogue in them to read in an hour.

Nitpicking movies based on comic books is ridiculous to me. There was never substantive extended dialogue for detail in the first place, and comic books inherently have tons of room for interpretation because of that.

Flame away...

The Superman series isn't that great anyways. It's a fun character to read about, but it's not like they were 'A Tale of Two Cities' or anything.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:48 am

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:52 am
  • Someday Hollywood will get an original idea.

Hopefully.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:57 am
  • There's NOTHING wrong with Hollywood rebooting/making comic book films. I dont understand the old man criticism of "no originality" here. It reeks of dudes complaining to complaing, whether the complaing fits or not.

Uggh, I'm not sure why I allowed myself to expect something decent with this film? It's a flawed/boring character with a flawed/boring director. I didn't go into it expecting Cronenberg, but damn if I didn't expect entertainment. I haven't seen it yet, I will tonight, but im kinda regretting that already.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:20 am
  • Fistbump, Pehawk. I completely agree. People put too damned much merit into originality. Something doesn't have to be original to be good. If someone takes movie X that was good, but not great, in its original release and remakes it and now everyone gives it a 9/10, who CARES if it's not original?

It's also hypocrisy, and here's how: All of you people whining about the lack of originality in film have no problem with it in music. I can guarantee you there isn't a person on this forum that does not have at least ONE instance of a song that they like a cover version of better than the original version.

Why do you give music a pass for this and have NO PROBLEMS with popular songs being covered by 5-10 different bands over the decades, yet remaking a superhero movie or whatever is something to whine about Hollywood over?

I don't see you whining about Johnny Cash covering "Hurt" by NIN, or "Mad World" by Gary Jules, used to such great effect in the film Donnie Darko, or Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower.

There are countless examples of covers that are as good as, or better than, their originals. Yet, some people have a major problem with Hollywood doing the same thing. Hypocrisy, I say.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:17 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Fistbump, Pehawk. I completely agree. People put too damned much merit into originality. Something doesn't have to be original to be good. If someone takes movie X that was good, but not great, in its original release and remakes it and now everyone gives it a 9/10, who CARES if it's not original?

It's also hypocrisy, and here's how: All of you people whining about the lack of originality in film have no problem with it in music. I can guarantee you there isn't a person on this forum that does not have at least ONE instance of a song that they like a cover version of better than the original version.

Why do you give music a pass for this and have NO PROBLEMS with popular songs being covered by 5-10 different bands over the decades, yet remaking a superhero movie or whatever is something to whine about Hollywood over?

I don't see you whining about Johnny Cash covering "Hurt" by NIN, or "Mad World" by Gary Jules, used to such great effect in the film Donnie Darko, or Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower.

There are countless examples of covers that are as good as, or better than, their originals. Yet, some people have a major problem with Hollywood doing the same thing. Hypocrisy, I say.

The music examples you mentioned put their own spin on the song, which is why people like them as much or more than the original. The complaint is that comic book movies adhere to a formula of reboot: origin story, reboot: origin story, reboot: origin story. If more directors were churning out stories that riffed on the originals or added something different, then you'd hear the complaint less. Kind of why the Avengers did so damn well, IMO.

I do agree with pehawk though that Superman is a rather boring character.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:28 am
  • The film reboots do too; sorry. In fact, many of them are quite different. My point is that people automatically bitch about it when it hasn't even come out yet because it's a reboot.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:57 am
  • I have 7:40 IMAX 3D tix for tonight, and I'm planning on smoking weed to hedge my bets. I rarely smoke weed, because I can’t hang with it. But, maybe it'll be enjoyable stoned?

Comic book flicks should NOT be included in Hollywood's lack of originality complaints, really. Their comic book movies, for frick sake. By default the character's there to be rehashed, over and over again. I think whining in this instance is pure whining.

As I said before, Supes is SO boring because of his invincibility and morality, all of it pretty much sucks.

I've only been able to slog through two Superman stories; All-Star Superman and Red Son. All-Star begins with "Umm, you're dying Boy Scout" and from there has an odd, trippy, cross-dressing, story and pace. Plus, you know he's dying. Red Son is an alternate take where Superman lands and is nurtured by communist USSR. You'd think the latter would be interesting...but even it gets boring.

I guess in Frank Miller's Dark Knight Strikes Back Superman's interesting because he's a Cold War, neo-con, fascist working for Reagan whom Batman hunts...?

It's just a boring character. And there’s no way in hell a studio would remake any of the takes I mentioned above.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:40 pm
  • Not bad at all. If you can slog through a few Snyder, cringe-worthy moments, its worth it. The last hour is pretty brilliant action-fight sequences. And, Cavill played a moody, dark Superman. That worked real well.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 am
  • I'm actually looking forward to this now. A quite pessimistic friend of mine that usually doesn't look forward to like, any movie he sees with friends, loved it and said it was the best film he had seen in years. I'll be curious to see if he's full of it, or if it's really good.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:00 am
  • I see in our newspaper this morning the critics are calling

Bland of Steel

I take it that's a hint. I always take movies like this as entertainment only. The moment you try to make issues out of them you've already shown you're stupid!!!

And as usual I want to be entertained not taught. Critics serve such little use as they try to make something up to tell us about that we could care less.

A good example is Story Tellers programs on PLDA. They have song writers telling us what their idea behind a song were at the time of writing. Trust me I didn't get the same thing from Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run that he did. I just liked the song.

But that doesn't seem to be allowed now a days.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:54 am
  • I usually agree with the critics, but not in this instance. Its not good every moment, but it's great comic book movie. I was surprised.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:07 pm
  • It was decent. They could have cut out a full ten minutes of blurry CGI fighting and automatically made it better.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:39 pm
  • Saw it tonight and I thought it was great. Lived up to my expectations.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:45 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Saw it tonight and I thought it was great. Lived up to my expectations. I just wish they focused a bit more on the romance and added a few upbeat musical and dance numbers.

Fixed it for you.

Yeah, I'm still thinking about it a bit tonight. It surpassed my expectations, for sure
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:55 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Saw it tonight and I thought it was great. Lived up to my expectations. I just wish they focused a bit more on the romance and added a few upbeat musical and dance numbers.

Fixed it for you.

Yeah, I'm still thinking about it a bit tonight. It surpassed my expectations, for sure

Superman looked damn good in his tights, and in the shirtless scenes. Made up for the lack of dance numbers.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:06 am
  • I saw it this morning.
    I liked it alot except for their choice in using the super close up shaky cam crap.
    Hopefully the next one will be different.
    I was surprised how well Zod was portrayed.
    Chapman
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:06 am
  • Saw this last night. Two things. First, a gaping plot hole kind of ruined it for me. I ain't gonna spoil it, but let's just say the whole second half of the movie could have been completely cut based on a logical decision in the best interests of the decision maker. Second, they destroyed more of NYC/Metropolis (whatever) than Iron Man and Avengers put together. To top that, Hollywood will have to create two gigantic colossi that duke it out all across America, stomping on every city large enough to have public transportation. My second favorite part was the first 20 minutes, up until they sent Zod's crew up to exile in those space penis-craft. My first favorite part was the Carl's Jr. commercials on TV.

Other than that, it was a decent popcorn flick.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:09 am
  • Henry Cavill was super good eye candy for us gals. :)
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:46 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Saw this last night. Two things. First, a gaping plot hole kind of ruined it for me. I ain't gonna spoil it, but let's just say the whole second half of the movie could have been completely cut based on a logical decision in the best interests of the decision maker. Second, they destroyed more of NYC/Metropolis (whatever) than Iron Man and Avengers put together. To top that, Hollywood will have to create two gigantic colossi that duke it out all across America, stomping on every city large enough to have public transportation. My second favorite part was the first 20 minutes, up until they sent Zod's crew up to exile in those space penis-craft. My first favorite part was the Carl's Jr. commercials on TV.

Other than that, it was a decent popcorn flick.

I LOL'd so fricken loud when I saw the penis-crafts lift off. They shoot the bad guys off to space in penis shaped space ships and make them fly through a giant space vagina. WHAT... THE... Funkmaster Flex was THAT all about? I think I was the only person in the theater who saw it cuz people were looking at me like I was nuts.

All in all I dug the movie though. It won't win an oscar, but it was neither a waste of money or time IMO. I was entertained, and that's really all it's about. it's a comic book movie, you know what you're getting into before you even get in the car to go to the theater.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:01 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:I LOL'd so fricken loud when I saw the penis-crafts lift off. They shoot the bad guys off to space in penis shaped space ships and make them fly through a giant space vagina. WHAT... THE... Funkmaster Flex was THAT all about? I think I was the only person in the theater who saw it cuz people were looking at me like I was nuts.

I have an inside source that says somebody pretty high up on the production team made it a point to stick dicks(haped objects) in there quite frequently when Mr. Nolan wasn't looking. Friend of a friend type info so take it for what it's worth, but it makes sense.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. I already forgot half the plot so I can't really speak on the plot holes but I definitely agree with Sailor, it felt like there was way too much mass destruction. It was pretty much my least favorite part of the movie.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information