If you could add one player from the other NFCW teams.

sutz

Reaction score
Marvin49":emwakrb0 said:
I think its interesting that Kaep is a "system guy" and Wilson is not? I'd be intersted to hear that explanation.

Perhaps Wilson "is not" because he played in two different college systems and performed great in both, and then was drafted into a non-similar pro system that evolved quite a bit over the course of his rookie season and was pretty successful in that-he received a LOT of noise in the OROY voting.

You need to get over your thought that Wilson is only a "read option" QB. He's not.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I would imagine Card fans drool over Wilson. He is certainly the guy they would need the most from the Hawks.
The Rams, for sure would want to steal Thomas.
And the Niners could honestly take any player from the LOB and upgrade their secondary. Though if they somehow got their greasy hands on Chancellor, VD might not come out for practice. Also, I could see them coveting Harvin. If they don't yet, they will.

Interesting to me, not many have coveted Aldon Smith or Justin.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":c4yr91vo said:

Two easy answers for these, IMO.

1) Nobody knows how good Aldon is for sure of his own accord.

2) Justin Smith's getting old.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":37puuru7 said:
Scottemojo":37puuru7 said:

Two easy answers for these, IMO.

1) Nobody knows how good Aldon is for sure of his own accord.

2) Justin Smith's getting old.

See...thats what I'm talking about.

Does Aldon benefit from having Justin next to him? Of course he does. We aren't talking about a guy whos had a couple pretty good years tho. We are talking about a guy who has more sacks in his first 2 years than Reggie White, Derrick Thomas...and everyone else for that matter.

Other players have played next to a guy as good as Justin and NONE have been close to as productive as Aldon. As a rooke he was .5 sacks from the rookie record and he wasn't even a starter. Last year he was on pace to break the single season record before he and Justin got hurt.

I know peeps here love to hate on the Niners, but at least give a guy his due. If you would like to see MULTIPLE examples of Aldon dominating a tackle with Justin nowhere in sight...just let me know.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Even scrub backup rushers can catch a tackle off balance sometimes. I'm not saying that's what Aldon Smith is, calm down, but my point is that we haven't seen Aldon without Justin; and you're making a pretty big assumption that guys like Reggie White played next to a dominant guy like Justin Smith in their first couple of years, which I don't think was the case.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":5aj4lg6w said:
Even scrub backup rushers can catch a tackle off balance sometimes. I'm not saying that's what Aldon Smith is, calm down, but my point is that we haven't seen Aldon without Justin; and you're making a pretty big assumption that guys like Reggie White played next to a dominant guy like Justin Smith in their first couple of years, which I don't think was the case.

That will be a big part of Aldon Smith's development. FWIW, he has been training extensively this offseason, and has appeared to be a much better citizen and much more focused. He has also incorporated some MMA into his game. There's no way to discount the fact that he had 19.5 sacks, all with Justin Smith in the lineup. So it'll be interesting to see how his career goes as Justin's skills start to wane.

Aldon does have work to do, but he has unique set of power, speed, quickness, and length.

He also has the most sacks EVER for two seasons. Regardless of the circumstances, that's still really impressive.

And I find it funny that he's not the guy other teams fans would want. Patrick Willis is great, but honesty Bowman may be better. Vernon has all the physical tools, but he still doesn't have Tony Gonzalez's hands.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":e4mkaxe2 said:

I was never saying that Reggie or Thomas played with a guy like Justin. I'm not saying that Aldon is better than those guys. I'm saying 33.5 sacks through his first 2 seasons is astronomical regardless of whom you play next to. :D I could even go farther and say that is probably isn't an entirely fair comparison because teams throw the ball far more often now than they used to and it gives more opportunities for sacks.

I just get tired of peeps attributing all of Aldons success to Justin (and I know that's not exactly what you're saying). Justin is really good but the guy has 75.5 sacks in TWELVE years compared to 33.5 for Aldon in TWO. Justin has never had a double digit sack year.

That all good tho because that's not really his game...but I didn't see Parys Haralson or any number of other OLB ripping up the league with Sacks before Aldon came along.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NinerBuff":ov9l298c said:
RolandDeschain":ov9l298c said:

That will be a big part of Aldon Smith's development. FWIW, he has been training extensively this offseason, and has appeared to be a much better citizen and much more focused. He has also incorporated some MMA into his game. There's no way to discount the fact that he had 19.5 sacks, all with Justin Smith in the lineup. So it'll be interesting to see how his career goes as Justin's skills start to wane.

Aldon does have work to do, but he has unique set of power, speed, quickness, and length.

He also has the most sacks EVER for two seasons. Regardless of the circumstances, that's still really impressive.

And I find it funny that he's not the guy other teams fans would want. Patrick Willis is great, but honesty Bowman may be better. Vernon has all the physical tools, but he still doesn't have Tony Gonzalez's hands.

Gonna have to put the brakes on ya there...lol.

I love Bowman...but he is NOT better than Pat. They are just playing different roles now and Bo plays closer to the LOS more often than Pat does.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Marvin49":d1td1sii said:
NinerBuff":d1td1sii said:
RolandDeschain":d1td1sii said:

Gonna have to put the brakes on ya there...lol.

I love Bowman...but he is NOT better than Pat. They are just playing different roles now and Bo plays closer to the LOS more often than Pat does.

That's fair, and maybe with the emergence of Bowman, Willis doesn't make as many plays as he did playing next to Takeo, but I feel like Willis isn't as impressive as he was in first 3 seasons he played. He's still really good, and potentially better than Bowman, but the margin isn't great if any.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Hey 49er fans, don't use our forum to talk about your team. Stay on topic.

Marvin49

Reaction score
sutz":3tnmcokf said:
Marvin49":3tnmcokf said:
I think its interesting that Kaep is a "system guy" and Wilson is not? I'd be intersted to hear that explanation.

Perhaps Wilson "is not" because he played in two different college systems and performed great in both, and then was drafted into a non-similar pro system that evolved quite a bit over the course of his rookie season and was pretty successful in that-he received a LOT of noise in the OROY voting.

You need to get over your thought that Wilson is only a "read option" QB. He's not.

Who said I thought Wilson was only a read-option QB? My issue is that you are saying that Kaep is. Wilson ran the read option more often in the regular season than Kaep did.

I think both guys would be fine in any offense but the read-option is lethal.

garrylt4

Reaction score
49s. -Smith
Cards -Fitz

Rams- James Laurinaitis

Laurinaitis only because his dad Joe was one half of the Road Warriors aka The Legion of Doom. I just like the idea of Animal's son being part of the Legion of Boom.

candyman4881

Reaction score
1st choice:
Cardinals- Fitzgerald
49ers- Iupati
Seahawks- Marshawn Lynch

2nd choice:
Cardinals- Peterson
49ers- Vernon Davis
Seahawks- Earl Thomas

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Representing Seattle, I'd grab Iupati, Fitz and Long.

If I was SF, I'd grab Sherman or Earl from us.

If I was AZI, I'd grab Russell from us.

If I was STL, I'd grab Earl or Marshawn from us.

sutz

Reaction score
Marvin49":2hhiql4h said:
sutz":2hhiql4h said:
Marvin49":2hhiql4h said:

Who said I thought Wilson was only a read-option QB? My issue is that you are saying that Kaep is. Wilson ran the read option more often in the regular season than Kaep did.

When did I say Kaep was a "read option" QB? I think you're confusing me with someone else. I like the read option, but like any gimmicky system, it will have a short shelf life in the NFL if over used. We almost stopped running it later in the season, and when we lined up and ran it, Wilson almost never kept it over the last few games.

Mayhap there is some confusion over the Pistol formation, from which the read option is run, and the actual read option. I think they are actually two different things. The Pistol combines the advantages of the shotgun with the I formation, with the caveat that there is a higher chance of bigger losses in the running game, should the DL penetrate well.

Marvin49

Reaction score
sutz":vwsmh0qi said:
Marvin49":vwsmh0qi said:
sutz":vwsmh0qi said:

When did I say Kaep was a "read option" QB? I think you're confusing me with someone else. I like the read option, but like any gimmicky system, it will have a short shelf life in the NFL if over used. We almost stopped running it later in the season, and when we lined up and ran it, Wilson almost never kept it over the last few games.

Mayhap there is some confusion over the Pistol formation, from which the read option is run, and the actual read option. I think they are actually two different things. The Pistol combines the advantages of the shotgun with the I formation, with the caveat that there is a higher chance of bigger losses in the running game, should the DL penetrate well.

You said Kaep was a "system QB".

I'm not confused about the diff between the Pistol and the Read-Option.