Matt Smith is leaving Doctor Who

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Matt Smith is leaving Doctor Who
Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:58 am
  • Word is out that this season will be Matt Smith's final Doctor Who season: http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2 ... octor-who/

Surprising he spent so long as the doctor in comparison to some of the other ones. He's a great doctor, but I kind of like looking forward to "the next" doctor every couple of seasons or so. It makes that show a little more interesting: same exact character, completely different guy.

So how cool would this be?

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Re: Matt Smith is leaving Doctor Who
Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:30 pm
  • I have been looking forward to the change for a few seasons now. Nothing wrong with Smith but he is definitely the weakest of the 3 new Drs and I'm not sure if it was his acting or the change in writers that made him so. Rory and Amy, river, and and the silence saga was good but there was no episode that matched up to Blink, Satan's pit, the library, etc.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:07 pm
  • Rory and Amy were crappy companions, IMO. Smith was a good Doctor. Probably about my 4th or 5th favorite behind Tennant, Baker, McCoy and possibly Davison. Hugh Laurie as the Doctor would be a disaster. No.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:17 pm
  • I think they need to go edgy... Jaden Smith or Anne Heche would be my picks.

Of course that's if House isn't available.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:02 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I think they need to go edgy... Jaden Smith or Anne Heche would be my picks.

Of course that's if House isn't available.

I would actually LOVE to see a female doctor, but I think they'd lose quite a lot of fans with something like that, as sad as that fact is.

Robert Carlisle. He's my dark horse pick to be the next doctor.

Also found out today that Karen Gillan (Amy Pond) has been cast as the 'lead villain' in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Should be interesting...
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:31 pm
  • Will Smith.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:58 am
  • There's a lot of talk online about the "need" for a female doctor for the next one. Not particularly a fan. The story doesn't seem suited for it, and there are plenty of other opportunities to create those "strong female lead characters" everyone is whining about. There are plenty of great female leads that could play the doctor just fine, and make it entertaining. But it would alter perception of the entire history of the franchise by doing so. Why force it into an ode to "alternate lifestyle" in light of the fact the doctor was already married to a woman, just to appease a vocal minority?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 pm
  • The Doctor can't be a girl. He was born a boy.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:31 pm
  • sturg78 wrote:I have been looking forward to the change for a few seasons now. Nothing wrong with Smith but he is definitely the weakest of the 3 new Drs and I'm not sure if it was his acting or the change in writers that made him so. Rory and Amy, river, and and the silence saga was good but there was no episode that matched up to Blink, Satan's pit, the library, etc.

The writing/storylines in S4 and the specials were going to be damn hard to top. Russell T. Davies was...brilliant.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    sturg78 wrote:I have been looking forward to the change for a few seasons now. Nothing wrong with Smith but he is definitely the weakest of the 3 new Drs and I'm not sure if it was his acting or the change in writers that made him so. Rory and Amy, river, and and the silence saga was good but there was no episode that matched up to Blink, Satan's pit, the library, etc.

The writing/storylines in S4 and the specials were going to be damn hard to top. Russell T. Davies was...brilliant.

Very much! I think Smith is my second favorite of the new doctors, well behind Tennant, and slightly ahead of Eccleston. And although Amy is my second favorite companion behind Rose, I agree, the writing kind of slipped a bit after Davies left.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:There's a lot of talk online about the "need" for a female doctor for the next one. Not particularly a fan. The story doesn't seem suited for it, and there are plenty of other opportunities to create those "strong female lead characters" everyone is whining about. There are plenty of great female leads that could play the doctor just fine, and make it entertaining. But it would alter perception of the entire history of the franchise by doing so. Why force it into an ode to "alternate lifestyle" in light of the fact the doctor was already married to a woman, just to appease a vocal minority?

They already spend plenty of time reinforcing alternate lifestyles, even with horses as I recall in the cyborg cowboy episode.
    Osprey
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:07 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    sturg78 wrote:I have been looking forward to the change for a few seasons now. Nothing wrong with Smith but he is definitely the weakest of the 3 new Drs and I'm not sure if it was his acting or the change in writers that made him so. Rory and Amy, river, and and the silence saga was good but there was no episode that matched up to Blink, Satan's pit, the library, etc.

Very much! I think Smith is my second favorite of the new doctors, well behind Tennant, and slightly ahead of Eccleston. And although Amy is my second favorite companion behind Rose, I agree, the writing kind of slipped a bit after Davies left.

My choice exactly!

I loved Amy and Rory but I found it took me a while to do so after Rose, Martha and Donna.
    I am an American Football Noobie... Please be gentle!! :-)
    I'M IN AND I BELIEVE!
    LyndseyG
    NET Rookie

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information