Question for our 49er fan friends

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 am
  • Hopefully this thread doesnt evolve into a flame war.

    Just curious how you guys feel about LaMichael James after his rookie year and what you're expecting from him this year and in the future.

    I thought he looked pretty good once he finally got his chance last season and is a pretty good weapon lined up back there against Kaepernick. He's my all time favorite college player so I was pretty pained when SF picked him up, but I still hope he has a really successful career.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18540
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 am
  • Stop wishing the 49ers well. :devil:
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 25417
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 11:57 am
  • You couldn't have gone to one of their boards and asked the question?
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9203
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 12:41 pm
  • LOL...I guess peeps don't like the question but I'll answer it anyway.

    I really like James. I loved the pick when it was made. He struggled badly early on because the O was so radically different than what he ran at Oregon and his school was on a system that forced him to miss most of the OTAs.

    Once Kendall Hunter got hurt tho and LaMichael got his shot...he looked pretty damn good. He spent all year and all off-season working with the special teams coaches in order to perfect returning punts. He's also gained another 10 lbs so he's up to 205 now after being about 20 lbs lighter in college. His hope is to stay on the active roster as a return specialist and complete with Kendall Hunter as the #2 RB.

    The 49ers are stacked at RB...so it'll be interesting to see what happens. Gore is still going strong, but at some point he'll slow down and give way to the youngsters Kendall Hunter, James, and Marcus Lattimore. Those last three guys will most likely form something of a 3 headed monster so they won't rely so heavily on one guy.

    I really want to see what James can do from the LOS this year with the added weight and a full offseason to learn.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 1:04 pm
  • I think you guys have a great stable of young backs , and the future looks bright for you in that regards Marvin.

    However i want to get your opinion on what the impact of Crabs going down is going to be.. I heard Boldin was beasting in OTA's last week, looking like a true number #1 i think they said, but we both know he and Vern can't carry the load.. Who do you think will step up, i heard Jenkins is close to being back, will he be the new #2 or Lockette?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3987
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 1:27 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:I think you guys have a great stable of young backs , and the future looks bright for you in that regards Marvin.

    However i want to get your opinion on what the impact of Crabs going down is going to be.. I heard Boldin was beasting in OTA's last week, looking like a true number #1 i think they said, but we both know he and Vern can't carry the load.. Who do you think will step up, i heard Jenkins is close to being back, will he be the new #2 or Lockette?


    Losing Crab is HUGE. No way to sugarcoat that one. He was on the doorstep of becoming a huge star. People look at his numbers (about 1100 yards) and think it's not that hard to replace, but what people don't realize is how much MORE productive he became when the switch was made at QB. In the 8 Games Alex was the QB, Crab had 440 yards and 3 TDs. He had 3 CAREER 100 yard games. In the 10 games Kaep played, Crab had 880 yards and 8 TDs. After having 3 100 yard games in his career, he had FIVE in 10 games with Kaep. His issue was never getting open. It was finding a QB who could get him the ball. I left out the Rams game where Alex was hurt BTW just because it was too hard to figure out who to atribute the yards to in that game.

    I was really excited to see Boldin as a #2 WR and the THIRD option in the passing game. Now that he's gotta be the #1 WR...I just dunno. The 49er offense is very good at getting guys running wide open in space (killer play action and a run threat from the QB position will do that...as Seattle fans can attest from watching their own team), but I just dunno about Boldin as the #1. The Niners were turning a corner on offense in the playoffs. They were really starting to get things going in the passing game which was opening things up even more in the run game.

    I'm incredibly happy now that they got Boldin now to hold down the fort till Crab comes back...but they still need to answer that #2 WR question.

    I'm always dubious of reports from OTAs. They don't even have the pads on yet. Its nice to hear and Boldin actually gets better when the pads are on...but it's WAY early.

    As for who is that #2 WR...we'll just have to see. There has been some pub here about Lockette whom you guys know well, but to me he's just a stretch the field guy. I don't see him as a regular contributor. Jenkins was never hurt, so not sure what you mean about getting him back. He's put on weight tho and has been working out with Kaep all offseason. He's always had great hands...his issues early on last year were a lack of stamina and he struggled with the offense. We'll see if this off-season has made a difference.

    Outside of those 2 is Kyle WIlliams (he's the one who was hurt last year). I actually like him alot, but he's much more of a slot-type reciever than anything else. Patton is kinda an X-Factor. He looks to be a steal in round 4....but we'll just have to see. They also still have Manningham, but he'll probably miss the beginning of the season.

    One thing to remember tho...the 49ers run with 2 TEs out of base packages...so who that #2 WR is might be less important than whether or not rookie TE Vance McDonald can become a reliable option in the pass game. He huge, athletic, and has LONG arms...so looks good...but you never really know till they put the pads on.

    Before Crab got hurt I thought they might run more multiple WR sets since they lost Walker and might substitute Boldin in that "Joker" role since he's so physical...but now I just dunno.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 2:32 pm
  • BTW...just saw this....this is to Hawkers question and I guess the lesson to learn here is don't ever, under any circumstances throw the ball to Randy Moss. LOL.

    http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/05/29 ... aepernick/



    TO WR MICHAEL CRABTREE

    Kaepernick: 61 of 94, 880 yards, 8 TD, 0 INT

    QB rating: 123.5

    Note: Crabtree was targeted with just 17 fewer passes than the combined total of Kaepernick's next three favorite targets: Davis, Moss and Walker.

    *********************************************

    TO TE VERNON DAVIS

    Kaepernick: 24 of 39, 398 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT

    QB rating: 102.3

    Note: In three playoff games, Kaepernick completed 12 of 19 passes for 254 yards with one touchdown and one interception when targeting Davis.

    *********************************************

    TO WR RANDY MOSS

    Kaepernick: 20 of 39, 292 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT

    QB rating: 52.5

    Note: Kaepernick threw five interceptions in his 10 starts: three were intended for Moss, one was intended for Davis and the other was thrown in the direction of Williams.

    *********************************************

    TO TE DELANIE WALKER

    Kaepernick: 19 of 33, 335 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

    QB rating: 112.6

    Note: These impressive numbers could have been even better: According to Pro Football Focus, five of those 14 incompletions were drops.

    *********************************************

    TO WR MARIO MANNINGHAM

    Kaepernick: 13 of 17, 151 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

    QB rating: 102.8

    Note: Kaepernick completed 12 of his first 13 passes thrown to Manningham.

    *********************************************

    TO RB FRANK GORE

    Kaepernick: 11 of 14, 143 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

    QB rating: 133.0

    Note: Kaepernick's longest completion of the postseason was a 45-yarder to Gore in the divisional playoffs against Green Bay.

    *********************************************

    TO FB BRUCE MILLER

    Kaepernick: 9 of 10, 54 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

    QB rating: 89.2
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 3:36 pm
  • Loved it when we picked James up! And as you said, he really showed that he is something special when he was given his opportunities. We are set at RB for years to come with him and Kendall Hunter (Who was tearing it up until he got hurt), especially with the addition of Lattimore.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 4:34 pm
  • It's kind of ridiculous how stacked both Seattle and SF are at RB.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1253
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed May 29, 2013 9:17 pm
  • SE174 wrote:It's kind of ridiculous how stacked both Seattle and SF are at RB.


    I love it. :mrgreen:
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Thu May 30, 2013 6:57 am
  • sorry meant Williams... Sounds like there could be a few question marks.. I always liked lockette, would have like to see him get a few more opportunities, but i never panned out for whatever reason..

    How do you think this effects your division asperations? can the rest of the offense carry the load if recieving core drops dramatically in production?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3987
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 am
  • hawker84 wrote:sorry meant Williams... Sounds like there could be a few question marks.. I always liked lockette, would have like to see him get a few more opportunities, but i never panned out for whatever reason..

    How do you think this effects your division asperations? can the rest of the offense carry the load if recieving core drops dramatically in production?


    Losing Crabtree hurts, but I think they'll be fine. They won't be as dynamic as they would be with Crab, but I think they'll be fine.

    I know I'm on a Seahawks board so this will likely get me blasted, but I'm not all that worried about the Seahawks taking the division. I'm sure most of you would say the same in regards to SF. The 49ers in 2011 were a very different team than they were in 2012. I think the same will hold true in 2013.

    In 2011 they won with incredible defense and the best special teams in the league. They had one of the biggest turnover differentials in a long time. The offense was "good enough".

    In 2012 they won with really good defense, spotty special teams and an improved offense.

    IN 2013 I think the formula will be a bit different. I think the D will be more like 2012 than 2011 (especially with Reid stepping in for Goldson), the special teams will make a rebound (that was why they signed Skuta, Dahl, and Dawson and drafted Moody) and even without Crab I think the offense will improve quite a bit with Kaep getting a full offseason and time to work with the other receivers on the team. Is this wishful thinking? Possibly...but I really do think they'll be better because Kaep will be better.

    Based specifically on your question of "can the rest of the offense carry the load if recieving core drops dramatically in production"....Yes, but I don't think it will. I think Boldin will fill that Crab role and while not being the exact same player, will be a good enough replacement till Crab returns. That other WR was a revolving door all year anyway last year. Thats the main reason Boldin was coming here to begin with. Moss/Williiams/Manningham all played that spot at various times and none of them stood out particularly (in fact Kaep only had a 52 QB rating throwing to Moss). Part of that is performance and part of it is scheme...as I said before, they play ALOT of 2 TE offense and the real question is how well McDonald fills Walkers spot. If he is able to fill that role then the Niners will be just fine AND will have something they haven't had for awhile...a big redzone threat at TE. Vernon is great and Walker was good.....but neither of them is nearly as big as McDonald who is 6'5" 270 with the longest arms of any TE at the combine along with one of the best 40 times and vertical jumps. He is really key to what happens now post Crabtree injury. He's looked good in OTAs, but you never know till the pads are on. Vernon is pretty impressed with him though.

    EDIT: BTW, don't be surprised if the Niners use LaMichael James in the slot some this year.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Thu May 30, 2013 9:30 am
  • So what you're saying is, you're predicting STL to win the division then, seeing how you don't think we will? :stirthepot:
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3987
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Thu May 30, 2013 9:48 am
  • hawker84 wrote:So what you're saying is, you're predicting STL to win the division then, seeing how you don't think we will? :stirthepot:


    HEHE. :D

    Not exactly. SF, SEA, STL, ARI...in that order. Seattle gets Wild Card. SF-SEA NFC Championship Game as final game ever at Candlestick.

    I figure it similar to last year. Niners get second seed because the 1st seed won't have to face the NFC West..IE will finish with better record. Seattle takes on that first seed but this time beats them.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:So what you're saying is, you're predicting STL to win the division then, seeing how you don't think we will? :stirthepot:


    HEHE. :D

    Not exactly. SF, SEA, STL, ARI...in that order. Seattle gets Wild Card. SF-SEA NFC Championship Game as final game ever at Candlestick.

    I figure it similar to last year. Niners get second seed because the 1st seed won't have to face the NFC West..IE will finish with better record. Seattle takes on that first seed but this time beats them.

    I like that you have faith in us and all but you need to tweak that order a bit....Sea, SF, STL, Ari sounds more realistic. You do have the NFC championship game right but it will be at the Clink. :P
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7250
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Thu May 30, 2013 12:24 pm
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:So what you're saying is, you're predicting STL to win the division then, seeing how you don't think we will? :stirthepot:


    HEHE. :D

    Not exactly. SF, SEA, STL, ARI...in that order. Seattle gets Wild Card. SF-SEA NFC Championship Game as final game ever at Candlestick.

    I figure it similar to last year. Niners get second seed because the 1st seed won't have to face the NFC West..IE will finish with better record. Seattle takes on that first seed but this time beats them.

    I like that you have faith in us and all but you need to tweak that order a bit....Sea, SF, STL, Ari sounds more realistic. You do have the NFC championship game right but it will be at the Clink. :P


    hehe

    Nope...I think I got that order right the first time. ;-)
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Thu May 30, 2013 8:40 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:Losing Crab is HUGE. No way to sugarcoat that one. He was on the doorstep of becoming a huge star. People look at his numbers (about 1100 yards) and think it's not that hard to replace, but what people don't realize is how much MORE productive he became when the switch was made



    Taking Crabtree away from the Niners is like taking two WRs from the Seahawks. That guy was set to have a monster year this season and having Boldin out there fighting for balls was going to be a big plus, but now the Niners need some production out of unproven sources just to be as good as they were last year.

    James can help with this some, but regardless of how good Boldin is, there is going to be drop-off at that position and behind that is the unknown. The good thing for the Niners is that they are exceptional at running the ball and Kaepernick was looking for Davis more near the end of last season.

    The Niners might be just fine, but they are going to look different without Crabtree.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5765
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Thu May 30, 2013 9:53 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:BTW, don't be surprised if the Niners use LaMichael James in the slot some this year.


    I could see that happening. Similar to how Buffalo used CJ Spiller at receiver to get him more touches throughout the game and in situations where he can use his speed against the Lbers and DBs in open space instead of having to fight through the Dline with each carry.

    Oh gawd I hope LMJ doesn't play like Spiller (who had a great game against us last year). I'd hate to go up against a player like that twice a year.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2064
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 am
  • loafoftatupu wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Losing Crab is HUGE. No way to sugarcoat that one. He was on the doorstep of becoming a huge star. People look at his numbers (about 1100 yards) and think it's not that hard to replace, but what people don't realize is how much MORE productive he became when the switch was made



    Taking Crabtree away from the Niners is like taking two WRs from the Seahawks. That guy was set to have a monster year this season and having Boldin out there fighting for balls was going to be a big plus, but now the Niners need some production out of unproven sources just to be as good as they were last year.

    James can help with this some, but regardless of how good Boldin is, there is going to be drop-off at that position and behind that is the unknown. The good thing for the Niners is that they are exceptional at running the ball and Kaepernick was looking for Davis more near the end of last season.

    The Niners might be just fine, but they are going to look different without Crabtree.


    Can't really disagree all that much but would add tho that I think the passing game as a whole will be better than last year simply because Kaep will have more experience.

    It took RW awhile to get rolling last year. In the tail end of the season tho he was lights out.

    Kaep started with a bang but had some struggles before he started to turn it on late. In the playoffs he was outstanding.

    I'm not trying to make the RW/Kaep comparison again...just talking about how WIlson got much better DURING the season and kaep didn't get as many games to improve. Kaep hasn't peaked yet...he was just hitting that "starting to get it" stage in the playoffs. He'll likely be a different guy next year...as will RW. No more scrambling into the endzone or pitching the game away (St. Louis) or being unable to get the snap off in time (New Orleans, St. Louis, Seattle, New England, Atlanta, and the SB).

    When Sterling Sharpe got hurt everyone predicted Favre would have major problems. What happened was exactly the opposite. It forced him to find more targets. I think the same will happen for Kaep. Happening this early is a godsend because it gives him all offseason to get comfortable with the new receivers. BTW...WR #2 was a problem issue all year. I'm more worried about TE #2.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 am
  • Recon_Hawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:BTW, don't be surprised if the Niners use LaMichael James in the slot some this year.


    I could see that happening. Similar to how Buffalo used CJ Spiller at receiver to get him more touches throughout the game and in situations where he can use his speed against the Lbers and DBs in open space instead of having to fight through the Dline with each carry.

    Oh gawd I hope LMJ doesn't play like Spiller (who had a great game against us last year). I'd hate to go up against a player like that twice a year.


    I really like LMJ, but he isn't like Spiller. LaMichael has incredible quickness and lateral movement (and a great spin move), but he doesn't have the blazing straight line speed Spiller does.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Fri May 31, 2013 11:53 am
  • Spiller is unparalleled in this league. If he had a more creative and competent offense with a decent QB, he'd be above Adrian Peterson.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 25417
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Fri May 31, 2013 12:05 pm
  • Wrong, Roland. At best Spiller is Chris Johnson.

    He is no AD.

    PS. Angie Mentink
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    User avatar
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *
     
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Fri May 31, 2013 1:15 pm
  • Wrong, Hawk Strap.

    Even when Chris Johnson hit the 2k mark, he averaged 5.6 YPC on the year. Spiller averaged 6.0 YPC last year, and his longest run was 62 yards. He had 1,244 yards on only 207 carries, and was only a starter for 9 games. If Buffalo ever unleashes him as an every-down back for a full season, he'll have a ridiculous year.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 25417
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Fri May 31, 2013 1:23 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Spiller is unparalleled in this league. If he had a more creative and competent offense with a decent QB, he'd be above Adrian Peterson.


    I like Spiller and all....but I don't think he's THAT good.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:I like Spiller and all....but I don't think he's THAT good.


    That's fine, but I think the perception has more to do with not being given a full load by Buffalo, combined with being pretty young, combined with being on the Bills.

    Spiller is electric. Give him 300 carries, and you'll see magic.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 25417
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:00 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:SF-SEA NFC Championship Game as final game ever at Candlestick.

    Man I really hope that doesn't happen. 1992 NFCCG was in SF also, and the Niners just could not get over the Cowboys.

    Something about the way Seattle gets hyped when they play SF worries me about that type of game. I DO think the 49ers are a better team, but... Seattle can go on the road and play like chumps against the Lions, but will play like their lives are on the line when they come to SF.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    User avatar
    60niners
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 219
    Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:22 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:Based specifically on your question of "can the rest of the offense carry the load if recieving core drops dramatically in production"....Yes, but I don't think it will. I think Boldin will fill that Crab role and while not being the exact same player, will be a good enough replacement till Crab returns.


    You are delusional. You seem pretty football savvy, so I'll give you a pass on this one as a homer/wishful thinking idea. There's zero comparison between Crabtree and Boldin. Boldin is a #2/possession type WR only. He's not a feature/game breaker like Crabtree. If you guys try to force the issue and make Boldin the feature guy, that's going to be a huge mistake. Don't get me wrong, Boldin is very good. I just don't think he will have the same impact as Crabtree did, especially when it comes to being in sync with Kapernick.

    Leaning on Kaepernick, your running game and Vernon Davis would seem to be the smart way to go. You still have talent an depth all over the roster, so you will survive...but the loss of Crabtree is HUGE, so don't pretend otherwise and wish it away on Anquan Boldin being in the fold.

    Or maybe Boldin just made such an impression on your when he had a big game against the Niners in the Super Bowl?

    Good defenses are going to pose problems for the 49ers offense. Crabtree is a guy you have to account for in layered coverages, whereas Boldin can be singled up. Teams will game plan to stop Davis and the run. Someone (Jenkins, Manningham, Williams) is really going to need to step up.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7490
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:28 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Based specifically on your question of "can the rest of the offense carry the load if recieving core drops dramatically in production"....Yes, but I don't think it will. I think Boldin will fill that Crab role and while not being the exact same player, will be a good enough replacement till Crab returns.


    You are delusional. You seem pretty football savvy, so I'll give you a pass on this one as a homer/wishful thinking idea. There's zero comparison between Crabtree and Boldin. Boldin is a #2/possession type WR only. He's not a feature/game breaker like Crabtree. If you guys try to force the issue and make Boldin the feature guy, that's going to be a huge mistake. Don't get me wrong, Boldin is very good. I just don't think he will have the same impact as Crabtree did, especially when it comes to being in sync with Kapernick.

    Leaning on Kaepernick, your running game and Vernon Davis would seem to be the smart way to go. You still have talent an depth all over the roster, so you will survive...but the loss of Crabtree is HUGE, so don't pretend otherwise and wish it away on Anquan Boldin being in the fold.

    Or maybe Boldin just made such an impression on your when he had a big game against the Niners in the Super Bowl?

    Good defenses are going to pose problems for the 49ers offense. Crabtree is a guy you have to account for in layered coverages, whereas Boldin can be singled up. Teams will game plan to stop Davis and the run. Someone (Jenkins, Manningham, Williams) is really going to need to step up.


    I said it previously...the Crab loss IS huge. I wasn't trying to say it was nothing. I also don't think Boldin will be everything that Crab was.

    What I'm saying tho is that I still think they will be fine. When Sterling Sharpe got hurt in GB, Brett Favre didn't fall apart. Sterling was Bretts security blanket. Losing Sterling was thought to be crushing, but what it actually did was force Brett to find other players to depend on. Thats what I think is going to happen here.

    Another thing about Boldin tho...I think he's better than he gets credit for. His numbers took a dive when he started playing in Balt. I think the statistical dive had alot more to do with the offense he was playing in and not the player he was. Baltimore fired their OC last year and all of the sudden Boldin became a monster in the playoffs. That doesn't mean that I think he'll be a Crabtree clone...it just means I think he'll be a servicable #1 WR in a run oriented offense that most often plays with 2 TEs on the field. Boldin NEVER had any speed. Its the main reason he wasn't a first round pick. Crab is faster, but he was never a burner either. He gets open with route running. Boldin just has a knack for creating space for himself and then just having some of the strongest hands in the NFL.

    KAEPERNICK is the reason I think the passing game will be better...not Boldin completely filling the shoes of Crabtree. A full offseason as the starter, time to work with ALL of the receivers, time for those receivers to improve (AJ Jenkins in particular who has been working with Colin all offseason and is up to nearly 200 lbs).

    What really sucks for the Niners in all honesty is that the #2 WR position last year was a revolving door. Getting Boldin was supposed to resolve that. Instead, they have downgraded a bit at the #1 and the #2 is again unsettled. That doesn't mean someone won't step up, but it is at best right now and unsettled situation.

    As I've also said before tho...I'm more concerned with who will replace Delanie Walker than who will be the #2 WR. Walker was also a bit of a security blanket for Kaep. I'm just hoping Vance McDonald can come in and play well as a rookie.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:42 pm
  • We are in more trouble without Crabtree than most fans will let on. Crabs was Kaps guy like Vernon was Alex Smith's guy. We just lost the best chemistry we had on offense. You take Vernon away from Alex and we have a dismal offense that relies on Frank facing 8 men in the box constantly.

    Boldin isn't a legit replacement. He may be able to act as a band aid until we get Crabs back but we wont see nearly the chemistry with Boldin Kap had with Crabtree. My hope is that Jenkins has a breakout year and shows us why he was drafted where he was.

    My guess is that collectively our wideouts will have to step it up because we wont have that blanket go to guy anymore. In order to not put the entire offense on the running backs we need Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Davis, and Boldin to be the bulk of the passing game split pretty evenly among them. Manningham is the wild card. Haven't seen much of him with Kap so far so he could make an impact once healthy. Macdonald in the two TE sets we like to run can also be a big game changer (maybe).

    It doesn't sound like a really dominant receiving group on paper but I am hoping a lot of little contributions by these guys and some luck avoiding injuries could add up to a well rounded offense.

    I hate to say this but we are cursed with our wide receivers. You saw it in 2011 when we got the post season. You saw it last season and we got lucky to have Crabs the whole season. Again this off season has been more of the bad luck at receiver. I also don't like Boldin wearing the cursed TO #81 but I am overly superstitious...lol
    BigBay49
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 16
    Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:00 pm


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:56 pm
  • I don't blame you about the number. Letting someone else wear that number at your place is even worse than them letting Rice wear it here.

    Largent-Rice jerseys numbers should be protected by their own teams no matter what!

    :141847_bnono:
    Image
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18655
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:27 pm
  • BigBay49 wrote:We are in more trouble without Crabtree than most fans will let on. Crabs was Kaps guy like Vernon was Alex Smith's guy. We just lost the best chemistry we had on offense. You take Vernon away from Alex and we have a dismal offense that relies on Frank facing 8 men in the box constantly.

    Boldin isn't a legit replacement. He may be able to act as a band aid until we get Crabs back but we wont see nearly the chemistry with Boldin Kap had with Crabtree. My hope is that Jenkins has a breakout year and shows us why he was drafted where he was.

    My guess is that collectively our wideouts will have to step it up because we wont have that blanket go to guy anymore. In order to not put the entire offense on the running backs we need Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Davis, and Boldin to be the bulk of the passing game split pretty evenly among them. Manningham is the wild card. Haven't seen much of him with Kap so far so he could make an impact once healthy. Macdonald in the two TE sets we like to run can also be a big game changer (maybe).

    It doesn't sound like a really dominant receiving group on paper but I am hoping a lot of little contributions by these guys and some luck avoiding injuries could add up to a well rounded offense.

    I hate to say this but we are cursed with our wide receivers. You saw it in 2011 when we got the post season. You saw it last season and we got lucky to have Crabs the whole season. Again this off season has been more of the bad luck at receiver. I also don't like Boldin wearing the cursed TO #81 but I am overly superstitious...lol


    Refreshing post. I usually am harassing the Niner fans around here because they so constantly seem to try and convince us it really is not that big of a deal add to that reading Niner forums (I do for fun but don't bother posting there) most are very busy spinning it as some kind of benefit because Kaep was so dependent on Crabs that now he will be forced to gain chemistry with other receivers and the other guys who haven't had a chance will blossom because of it.

    Don't get me wrong, it is possible all those things happen but the odds make it much more of a hope than any kind of positive thing.

    A few years back, 2008 we lost our entire receiving core to start the season. We even had Seneca Wallace (our back up QB) moving to receiver to help out but he pulled a hamstring running out of the tunnel in week one and never seen the field. We had our hopes tied to a three headed practice squad attack and hoped that given the chance they would flourish. This was coming off an allpro year for Hasselbeck and a division title. Unfortunately they never flourished and we ended up 4-12 on the year.

    Not saying you will end up 4-12. you guys have a better defense than we did and a much better running game. You guys also had success before Kaep and Crabs gained chemistry so there is more hope than there was for us in 2008 but again, it really is hope and not any kind of positive.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3012
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Question for our 49er fan friends
Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:22 am
  • The Radish wrote:I don't blame you about the number. Letting someone else wear that number at your place is even worse than them letting Rice wear it here.

    Largent-Rice jerseys numbers should be protected by their own teams no matter what!

    :141847_bnono:


    Thats actually not why we don't like people to wear 81. It has nothing to do with reverence for TO. He pretty much burnede all those bridges when he left.

    The 81 jinx thing is about just about every single player who has worn that jersey SINCE TO have underperformed and been anon-factor.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3313
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm




It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online